Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

someoldguy

macrumors 68030
Aug 2, 2009
usa
Did some walking around the Great Falls Historic District in Paterson yesterday .Couldn't pick which of these 2 to submit do I decided to throw both to the masses . Vox populi , vox dei .

IMG_0065_1_1319a.jpg

IMG_0065_1_1319abw.jpg

5D , 24-85 @ 50~ , f13 , 1/400 , iso 400

NeGRit0

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Las Vegas, Nv
I would have tried a smaller aperture to blur the front tree branch more, its a little distracting. The color on the building looks some what washed out, so i would stick with the b&w...

just my .02 :)

damov2

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2009
Cambridge, uk
Went to a staff air show in my city yesterday and got a little creative.

Bomb run!

Attachments

• 3939756341_7021abb26f_b.jpg
    3939756341_7021abb26f_b.jpg
    316.9 KB · Views: 107

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Newport, Oregon dock 5 from boardwalk

Looking through cables that make up the guardrail...

DSC_8014.jpg

Camera: NIKON
Model: D50
ISO: 200
Exposure: 1/2000 sec
Aperture: 8.0
Focal Length: 16mm

tonyeck

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2004
Las Vegas, NV

Click for larger

Just as the sun went down I took this shot. I just loved all the colors.

This has been taken from Desert View on the South Rim of the Grand Canyon about 15 minutes after the sun dropped below the horizon. For me, it's when the Canyon comes alive with color and is easily my favorite time to shoot there. As this is a popular view point, expect a lot of tourists to be hanging around during sunset hours, but it suddenly becomes very peaceful as most of them leave as soon as the sun is no longer visible. You are left with this beautiful, quiet, colorful view that you can just enjoy.

Very little post production done on this photo - most of it was out of the camera. I had a 0.9 Grad ND filter (Cokin Filter System) on my 24-70mm F/2.8 with the shutter open for 3 seconds at F/11. I applied a bit of saturation (and clarity - seems to make the Grand Canyon pics pop a little more) and increased the temp and recovery a little.

This is NOT a HDR. The exposure is purely from the effects of the grad ND filter.

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
I really like looking at the lower half of this shot... great tones and it makes me want to wander out into that scene. Only criticism is the horizon is too centered vertically, and halfway up the sky there's not much of interest. The same scene on a more typical Doylem cloudy day with sun breaking through would be fine, but on this day I'd probably just include more foreground, less sky, or... (dare I say it...? :D) crop it a bit.. :) Anyway, that was a long-winded way of saying I love this shot... but it ain't perfect. ;)

I notice that it was taken at f/9. I like the way that you have the rocks in the foreground in focus, but the monument is slightly soft. Would a tighter aperture have made this work slightly better?

Yup... fair comment... I was out walking with a friend, and, well, I'm not very good at multi-tasking: ie taking pictures and doing anything else. When I'm on my own, and 'in the zone', I'm reacting rather than thinking... and pix turn out OK. In company I may be rushing (hell... it must be boring to watch a photographer at work...), and thinking too much. Result: I can't even get the shot in focus...

I sell my pix through Alamy, and to get my landscape pix accepted (kit lens...), I need to be shooting f11 with a tripod, and focussing on the hyperfocal distance: typically, a third of the way into the shot, rather than on infinity.

stoodlypath.jpg

PeteB

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2008
Yup... fair comment... I was out walking with a friend, and, well, I'm not very good at multi-tasking: ie taking pictures and doing anything else. When I'm on my own, and 'in the zone', I'm reacting rather than thinking... and pix turn out OK. In company I may be rushing (hell... it must be boring to watch a photographer at work...), and thinking too much. Result: I can't even get the shot in focus...

I'm like that too when I'm out with my wife. She's invariably impatient when I'm trying to take a good photo, so I'm often trying to get the job done as quickly as possible.

with your photo, I'd be inclined to focus on the rocks in front, recompose to take the photo and then focus on the monument and take another shot. Then just combine the two photos and put the stitch in the middle ground. Therefore, the entire shot is in good focus.

object88

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2008

Nothing really special... just trying to learn some of the new tools in lightroom 2.

How did you get that lighting? It looks like it's coming in from the right on the bottom, but from both sides on the top, in an otherwise dark room?

panoz7

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
Raleigh, NC
How did you get that lighting? It looks like it's coming in from the right on the bottom, but from both sides on the top, in an otherwise dark room?

There wasn't much to it. I placed a single light a couple inches above the plant in an otherwise dark room. I put the pot on a white board to help reflect some of the light back up although I'm not sure how much it helped. I've got a lot to learn about lighting.

object88

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2008
There wasn't much to it. I placed a single light a couple inches above the plant in an otherwise dark room. I put the pot on a white board to help reflect some of the light back up although I'm not sure how much it helped. I've got a lot to learn about lighting.

Thanks! I've a lot to learn as well, that's why I asked. This was a no-cost setup for a recent shoot I tried:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.