Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PeteB

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2008
Lovely crisp/sharp image, gives you the impression that he`s sat on someones hand when you took the photo, but i`m sure he was a lot further away than that :D

Thanks.... :D

It was about 20ft away from me, sitting on a stand. It was half asleep and boring looking until I threw a small stone gently toward him - that's what he's looking down at with such interest.

spitfirejd

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2004
Magnolia, Delaware, USA
Immature Yellow-Crowned Night Heron

Just a young lad/lass...

p850709334-4.jpg

C&C always welcome.

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
with your photo, I'd be inclined to focus on the rocks in front, recompose to take the photo and then focus on the monument and take another shot. Then just combine the two photos and put the stitch in the middle ground. Therefore, the entire shot is in good focus.

Too complicated for me. :) Since I always shoot with a tripod, there's really no excuse for not getting 'front to back' focus...

My old home town...

hbdusk.jpg

someoldguy

macrumors 68030
Aug 2, 2009
usa
I would have tried a smaller aperture to blur the front tree branch more, its a little distracting. The color on the building looks some what washed out, so i would stick with the b&w...

just my .02 :)

Think you're right . The efflorescence on the brickwork kinda washes it out . If I can get over there with some primes ( 35/2 , 50/1.8 mk1 , 85/1.8 ) before the leaves fall , I'll play around with blurring out those branches. Thanks for your .02 .

IMG_0072_1a.jpg

Shake 'n' Bake

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2009
Albany
Here are a few from the Rock 'n' Roll HOF. I've only got lobby and exterior shots because they don't let you take cameras into the exhibits. If I had a camera in the "signature spiral," John Lennon's signature (and probably the other Beatles) would be up here as well.

The Pro Football HOF allows you to take pictures just about anywhere you want, and, IMO, it's the best looking HOF behind the Rock 'n' Roll HOF. The Baseball HOF (MLB) encourages flash photography!

On a side note, the Rock 'n' Roll HOF has the longest and thinnest escalators I've ever seen; especially the one from the ground-level coat check to the second floor.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_6022.JPG
    IMG_6022.JPG
    254.1 KB · Views: 581
  • IMG_6025.JPG
    IMG_6025.JPG
    219.7 KB · Views: 580
  • IMG_6027.JPG
    IMG_6027.JPG
    248.7 KB · Views: 581
  • IMG_6031.JPG
    IMG_6031.JPG
    164.9 KB · Views: 573

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
attachment.php

So ya
Thought ya
Might like to
Go to the show.
To feel that warm thrill of confusion,
That space cadet glow.
I've got some bad news for you sunshine,
Pink isn't well, he stayed back at the hotel
And they sent us along as a surrogate band
We're gonna find out where you folks really stand.

spitfirejd

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2004
Magnolia, Delaware, USA
Shoot earlier and later in the day when the sun's not so harsh would be my only critique. Where are you finding all these herons at?

Paul

I've tried several times in the evening to catch these herons, but they seem to unusually shy when the light is good. I think they have a better understanding of good light and lens focal lengths than we give them credit for. We were actually out just to enjoy the rare good weather in the late morning, and of course I took my camera just in case ;) when I got the shots I've posted the last two days. It was also the only time I've seen an adult. Believe it or not, the masonry in the picture is the top of one of the original walls around Ft Monroe. They love to hang around the fort's moat.

anubis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2003
After the ceremony, bride decided she had had enough of her painful high heels and switch to a more... comfortable shoe. :p

648546000_zRe7u-XL.jpg

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
I've tried several times in the evening to catch these herons, but they seem to unusually shy when the light is good.

I generally find that mornings are better, if you're patient and move slowly you can generally get closer in, it always seemed to me that colder mornings were better for getting in close within ~45m of sunrise. Juveniles almost always allow a closer approach than adults. If you catch one fishing and set up in the direction it's moving you'll generally get closer shots since they're moving towards you rather than you moving towards them.

Edge100

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2002
Where am I???
After the ceremony, bride decided she had had enough of her painful high heels and switch to a more... comfortable shoe. :p

648546000_zRe7u-XL.jpg

Awesome!

My wife did the same at our wedding; had nice shoes for the ceremony (which was only 14 people, including us AND the photographer AND the officiant), and then switched to orange flip flops for the photo session afterward. Our photographer (Bill Grimshaw, as it happens) said they were the ugliest shoes he'd ever seen on a bride.

She took them off for the shots she was in, of course. Comfort first.

spitfirejd

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2004
Magnolia, Delaware, USA
I generally find that mornings are better, if you're patient and move slowly you can generally get closer in, it always seemed to me that colder mornings were better for getting in close within ~45m of sunrise. Juveniles almost always allow a closer approach than adults. If you catch one fishing and set up in the direction it's moving you'll generally get closer shots since they're moving towards you rather than you moving towards them.

Thank you for the tips. Unfortunately there is the pesky moat in the way of getting closer, and they know it. The only time I found him (the juvi) on the accessible side of the moat was when I only had a 17-50 with me. I'm sure he was well aware of the fact as well.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Love this. Well done.

Thanks, appreciate that. Water makes a great tool, sometimes... :)

Mine for today:

Newport harbor, fishing boats... (taken with the D50 and the Nikkor nifty-fifty)

DSC_8119.jpg

Camera: NIKON
Model: D50
ISO: 200
Exposure: 1/640 sec
Aperture: 5.0
Focal Length: 50mm

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Well i guess if you had to pick one... lol. I stick by my flickr comment. Love this shot!

ya, thx. The only thing that bothers me is the tire image in the background that sticks out above the hood. I may try to blur the background. Don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.