Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Essjay

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2008
2804321950_c63685333b_b.jpg

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
With all of the ... confusion ... in this weeks contest, I thought it might be a good idea to suggest a small change. What if contests were open for submissions from Monday at 12:01am through Friday at 11:59pm, leaving all weekend for the judge to deliberate and post the winner, plus hopefully a few hours at least for the winner to think of a theme and post the new thread?

As always, great work from everyone this week...

mattw126

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2008
Naples, FL - Poughkeepsie, NY
With all of the ... confusion ... in this weeks contest, I thought it might be a good idea to suggest a small change. What if contests were open for submissions from Monday at 12:01am through Friday at 11:59pm, leaving all weekend for the judge to deliberate and post the winner, plus hopefully a few hours at least for the winner to think of a theme and post the new thread?

I think that's a great idea. It might also be advantageous to keep a running list of all prior themes underneath the rules to serve as a quick reference for all future winners.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
I think that's a great idea. It might also be advantageous to keep a running list of all prior themes underneath the rules to serve as a quick reference for all future winners.

Once upon a time I started a sticky thread that had all the links to the photo of the day and weekly contests threads, and xUKHCx (moderator) took it over for a while. I can no longer edit my original post, and it hasn't been updated in a while. Maybe someone might want to do an update by posting a reply, but it would mean digging a bit to find all the threads from July on and list them...

The effort might be worth it if someone wants to take on the ongoing duty of updating it each week. Any volunteers?

firstapple

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2007
Once upon a time I started a sticky thread that had all the links to the photo of the day and weekly contests threads, and xUKHCx (moderator) took it over for a while. I can no longer edit my original post, and it hasn't been updated in a while. Maybe someone might want to do an update by posting a reply, but it would mean digging a bit to find all the threads from July on and list them...

The effort might be worth it if someone wants to take on the ongoing duty of updating it each week. Any volunteers?

I actually thought about doing this tonight... As this is how one of the photography forums I am on once in a while does it.

I like the way the sticky is set up, and I have no problem volunteering to keep the threads alive and organized. I am also on every day/night so should be no problem for me to keep updated. The only problem will be getting it up to date.

Have the "Assignment" threads still been going on? I can't say I have ever seen one of those before...

*** I am currently adding all the necessary links to the sticky (well as a reply anyways). I have also asked the moderator for ownership so I can edit each week.

mattw126

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2008
Naples, FL - Poughkeepsie, NY
Thank You pdxflint for putting the time in and creating that sticky. :D

Thank You firstapple for putting the time in and compiling this list: :D

#23 Headshots
#22 Black & White - Won by k.love
#21 Light - Won by H2Ockey
#20 Power - Won by pdxflint
#19 A New Beginning - Won by apearlman
#18 Humanity - Won by ghostguts
#16 Engineering - Won by JohnMC
#15 Ruin(ed) - Won by Fuzzy14
#14 Motion - Won by wheezy
#13 Gravity - Won by i.shaun
#12 Americana - Won by Phrasikleia
#11 Rock & Roll - Won by AxisOfBeagles
#10 Pride - Won by ghostguts
#9 Simplicity - Won by Hello.there
#8 Love - Won by Edge100
#7 Strength - Won by ghostguts
#6 The Passage of Time - Won by Edge100
#5 Motion - Won by Hello.there
#4 Emotion - Won by shieldyoureyes
#3 Technology In Our World - Won by otter
#2 Contrast - Won by pdxflint
#1 Texture - Won by Everythingisnt

the effort might be worth it if someone wants to take on the ongoing duty of updating it each week. Any volunteers?
The only problem will be getting it up to date.

"Would you bear with me for just a second, please? What if - and believe me this is a hypothetical - but what if...and this is a big 'what if'..."​
thebobs.jpg

Each new weekly contest thread has the above list added at the bottom of the rules by the winner with the #, the won theme, & their name in bold (as suggested by firstapple in the sticky). Below that - his/her's choice of theme for that weeks contest.

It's just a simple copy and paste that will keep on going. What do you guys/gals think?

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
Thats OK for now but the list will just get longer and longer and in a year or two it would mean the whole first page would just be rules + list.

I think - leave it as it is and update when someone can be bothered - as for some repetition of contest subjects - I don't think that is such a bad thing. It may give a chance to re-explore a subject or give a fresh chance for a new entrant to the competition.

It's going quite nicely and entrant numbers seem to be increasing (says I without actually checking.)

I also think a period of comment after the competition should be encouraged - the contest is great but more comment is always welcome.

Sometimes we are lucky and the judge gives feedback to everyone, however, this is not always possible (understandably) but I always enjoy getting some comments.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
Another thing, and this is just something I'm tossing out here (since we're going with lame office euphemisms), but would anyone else agree that people with newbie status, while encouraged to enter, shouldn't be eligible to win a contest? I know it's no guarantee one way or the other, but I feel like established forum members would be more likely to follow through with the contests in a timely manner... Again, just a thought.

kidkaprie

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
mr.green....while i understand where you are coming from, i think that not allowing newbie members to enter contests is a bad idea. established members as well as newbie members all have things to do outside of this forum, and all have things pop up last minuet, preventing them from creating/ending the weekly contest thread. i don't think forums status has anything to do with timelyness in the contest.

i think a time frame should be setup for judging and creating a new thread...ex. a winner should be picked no more than X hours from end of contest. And the winner should create a new contest no more than X hours from being notified of winning. now, these shouldnt be hard fast rules, but mearly guidlines. if you cant create/finish judging in the timeframe, for whatever reason, try to update the thread if neccesary, or just do it ASAP.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
mr.green....while i understand where you are coming from, i think that not allowing newbie members to enter contests is a bad idea. established members as well as newbie members all have things to do outside of this forum, and all have things pop up last minuet, preventing them from creating/ending the weekly contest thread. i don't think forums status has anything to do with timelyness in the contest.

i think a time frame should be setup for judging and creating a new thread...ex. a winner should be picked no more than X hours from end of contest. And the winner should create a new contest no more than X hours from being notified of winning. now, these shouldnt be hard fast rules, but mearly guidlines. if you cant create/finish judging in the timeframe, for whatever reason, try to update the thread if neccesary, or just do it ASAP.

Well, I did suggest they should be allowed to enter, but more as guests rather that competitors. You only have to have like 50 posts to lose newbie status, so it's not a huge barrier.

I also, earlier, suggested shortening the entry period of contests from Monday at 12:00am to Friday at 12:00pm which allows the whole weekend to judge and the winner to start a new thread.

There's not really any good guidelines on how/when to start/end these contests, and maybe this is a good time to just talk about it, is all I'm saying.

kidkaprie

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
(not trying to pick a fight...:D ) but i have to disagree. i think anyone, regardless of status should be eligable to win. i think a set time frame, like you suggested is a good idea.

maybe...when you enter the contest, you post your idea for the next contest in the title. that way, if you do win and are unable to start a new contest thread, the judge can do so in your place? (just an idea, as to make things flow a little easier)

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
I also, earlier, suggested shortening the entry period of contests from Monday at 12:00am to Friday at 12:00pm which allows the whole weekend to judge and the winner to start a new thread.

What happens if the judge doesn't come back within that time?

I was thinking that all of the entrants could have a vote over the two days (Sat and Sun) + provide feedback on the person they voted for. This would provide a winner and lots of feedback.

The big problem is the time difference. If someone in New Zealand wins and starts the thread on Monday morning it will be somewhat different if you live in California.

In the event of a draw then the previous winner gets the casting vote.

You could only vote on Sat and Sun. Winner choses next subject as usual.

kidkaprie

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
also, what about limiting to when the picture has to be taken? instead of pulling a picture from my archive of topic x, how about i actually go outside this week and try to take a picture of topic x?

this approach might lead to less participation and/or more "snapshot" type pics.

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
also, what about limiting to when the picture has to be taken? instead of pulling a picture from my archive of topic x, how about i actually go outside this week and try to take a picture of topic x?

That will depend on the topic - Its almost winter where I live - so unless the subject is snow, freezing fog or ice storms then I'm out of the running. Going outside to photograph things won't be possible. A warm winter here is -20C (-4F).

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004

this approach might lead to less participation and/or more "snapshot" type pics.

Also that's more of an assignment than a contest, imo. We should have both though! There's used to be assignment threads, but I've not seen one.

firstapple

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2007
All,

Can we continue this discussion in our sticky thread? I am all for changing the rules/guidelines if absolutely necessary and agreed upon by the whole group.

Link to sticky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.