Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

techie4life

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2007
Georgia
Pigeon on the Empire State Building

2943385504_42ba2008b5_b.jpg

k.love

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 27, 2008
Nice Tech reminds me of my Pegon...

2504166065_8342dbde16_b.jpg

Sorry guys Im lagging a little behind I will start my judging...

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
This is the most discussion I can remember on a thread that is primarily about photo entries. I'm not so sure why some of you are so eager to change things up that much since we seem to have gotten a pretty good participation in the weekly contest lately. It seems pretty laid back as it is right now, as long as we keep it fairly informal (minimal rules, anything photographic goes.) Sometimes we have had time-lags in the past where the winner or judge was temporarily absent, but it usually sorts itself out.

As it is, this week's thread has gotten a bit out of character. Perhaps a new thread discussing contests (this one and any other ideas) might be a good idea, so we can leave this one more about pictures. It would be a bit daunting to return to this thread as the judge, and have to make sense of all the additional discussion while trying to judge the entrants.

K.love probably should have made this contest run until the 15th to make it a 7 day window, so I'd be a bit patient for now. If he doesn't get back to the thread in a day or so, we can PM him first... then take it from there. Edit: (Well..., while I was writing k.love checked in... :) )

I don't think adding a bunch of new rules will improve this particular little endeavor, for example: limiting the time frame of when an entry is shot, limiting participation, rules on post-processing, etc.) There are contests like that, but this was never originally intended to be one of them. Yes, there was an assignment thread, but it seemed to fizzle out over time. Someone can always pick up the ball on that one and try to bring it back to life <hint, hint...;) >

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
I'm not so sure why some of you are so eager to change things up that much since we seem to have gotten a pretty good participation in the weekly contest lately. It seems pretty laid back as it is right now, as long as we keep it fairly informal (minimal rules, anything photographic goes.) Sometimes we have had time-lags in the past where the winner or judge was temporarily absent, but it usually sorts itself out....I don't think adding a bunch of new rules will improve this particular little endeavor...

Agreed. The contest has been a huge success lately. We shouldn't fix what isn't broken.

Yes, there was an assignment thread, but it seemed to fizzle out over time. Someone can always pick up the ball on that one and try to bring it back to life <hint, hint...;) >

Well, Grimace tried that in July, and not a single person bit the hook. I think folks prefer the fun of possibly being able to choose the next contest topic. I also think part of the appeal is that participants have an excuse to go looking through their old photos for something appropriate, hoping to find a gem they'd forgotten about.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
This is the most discussion I can remember on a thread that is primarily about photo entries. I'm not so sure why some of you are so eager to change things up that much since we seem to have gotten a pretty good participation in the weekly contest lately. It seems pretty laid back as it is right now, as long as we keep it fairly informal (minimal rules, anything photographic goes.) Sometimes we have had time-lags in the past where the winner or judge was temporarily absent, but it usually sorts itself out.

As it is, this week's thread has gotten a bit out of character. Perhaps a new thread discussing contests (this one and any other ideas) might be a good idea, so we can leave this one more about pictures. It would be a bit daunting to return to this thread as the judge, and have to make sense of all the additional discussion while trying to judge the entrants.

K.love probably should have made this contest run until the 15th to make it a 7 day window, so I'd be a bit patient for now. If he doesn't get back to the thread in a day or so, we can PM him first... then take it from there. Edit: (Well..., while I was writing k.love checked in... :) )

I don't think adding a bunch of new rules will improve this particular little endeavor, for example: limiting the time frame of when an entry is shot, limiting participation, rules on post-processing, etc.) There are contests like that, but this was never originally intended to be one of them. Yes, there was an assignment thread, but it seemed to fizzle out over time. Someone can always pick up the ball on that one and try to bring it back to life <hint, hint...;) >

Agreed. The contest has been a huge success lately. We shouldn't fix what isn't broken.

I don't think anyone wants to change the contest, but I think there's some need to create some guidelines to help people keep the threads on track. This "weekly contest" thread is going to run for nearly 2 weeks now.

Since I started the discussion about it, I'll just say that all I was suggesting was adding some days for judging/creating new contest threads rather than what we have now to help things stay a little more organized. Not really a big rule change or a format change, just a couple days built into the weekly schedule to keep things on track.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
I don't think anyone wants to change the contest, but I think there's some need to create some guidelines to help people keep the threads on track. This "weekly contest" thread is going to run for nearly 2 weeks now.

I'm not sure when exactly it started, but the thread says Oct 08-Oct 12, and if it were a full week, which most of them are it would be ending today (Oct. 15.)

You can't count the days between when someone is declared the winner, and when they actually start the next contest, because sometimes they don't even get the notification for several days, and then they have to set up the next topic.

Only problem, as I see it, is that let's say you set up some guidelines (in addition to the existing rules)... and then the next winner/judge has other priorities in his life, and runs a little late...can't get to it within the weekend, for example - what's the difference? So then, you add more guidelines/rules spelling out how it's to be enforced, and then someone has to be the enforcer, etc. etc. - and you have changed the contest. Part of what makes this contest exactly what it is, is the informality and the likelihood of occasional delays. etc. It's more of a friendly thing, with nothing on the line.

Since I started the discussion about it, I'll just say that all I was suggesting was adding some days for judging/creating new contest threads rather than what we have now to help things stay a little more organized. Not really a big rule change or a format change, just a couple days built into the weekly schedule to keep things on track.

If things always sailed along smoothly, then making it a 5 day contest with the weekends for judging and restarting would, in theory, work okay. But, things being what they are, the deadlines will inevitably be missed, and it throws the whole structure thing into disarray again. The issue for those who want it more organized is that it has to become more formalized in order to describe the methods for organizing, with more rules and rule enforcement. Do we then form a committee? See where I'm going with this....? :eek:

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
I'm not sure when exactly it started, but the thread says Oct 08-Oct 12, and if it were a full week, which most of them are it would be ending today (Oct. 15.)

You can't count the days between when someone is declared the winner, and when they actually start the next contest, because sometimes they don't even get the notification for several days, and then they have to set up the next topic.

Only problem, as I see it, is that let's say you set up some guidelines (in addition to the existing rules)... and then the next winner/judge has other priorities in his life, and runs a little late...can't get to it within the weekend, for example - what's the difference? So then, you add more guidelines/rules spelling out how it's to be enforced, and then someone has to be the enforcer, etc. etc. - and you have changed the contest. Part of what makes this contest exactly what it is, is the informality and the likelihood of occasional delays. etc. It's more of a friendly thing, with nothing on the line.

If things always sailed along smoothly, then making it a 5 day contest with the weekends for judging and restarting would, in theory, work okay. But, things being what they are, the deadlines will inevitably be missed, and it throws the whole structure thing into disarray again. The issue for those who want it more organized is that it has to become more formalized in order to describe the methods for organizing, with more rules and rule enforcement. Do we then form a committee? See where I'm going with this....? :eek:

The contest was supposed to start on the 6th, it's the 15th. So it's running at least 4 days behind. (Started late and ending late).

The old contest ended on the 5th, which is the entire point of what I'm saying. There's no built in buffer time to give people a chance to adjust around real life. That's all I'm saying. Not saying we need to be all crazy enforcers or anything. Just that maybe we could build in a little time so that people can have stuff happen and still get around to judging "on time".

It's not anyone's fault and I'm not blaming k.love. Stuff happens. No biggie. Seems like it would be helpful if the format of this activity was such that there was some extra time for that to happen. That is all.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Message to k.love: don't feel as though you are obligated to comment on each and every photo. A couple of very generous judges did that, but they were going well beyond the call of duty. All you really need to do is pick one, say what you liked about it, and send the winner a personal message to get the next contest started.

firstapple

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2007
All,

Again, I have taken charge of the sticky regarding this contest as well as the other monthly thread... I have posted many ideas on there for some possibilities, but there has been no discussion in there.

k.love is aware she is running late, as she said so a few posts ago. To me that is good enough that she let us know she is still alive and remembered she has some judging to do. A simple PM would be nice to send her for a nice little reminder.

I would like to know some people's responses to the ideas I put in the sticky...

mattw126

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2008
Naples, FL - Poughkeepsie, NY
Uh, I'm pretty sure k.love is a he, for what it's worth.

That, or she's one really ugly chick.

K.Love, I shot two weddings this past Sat., (yes two - over 1500 images I'm editing this week) I have an engagement sitting tomorrow, a rehearsal dinner this Fri., another wedding this Sat., and a model shoot this Sun. You have the time to post an image of a dead 'pegon', but you can't type a member's name? Sorry to sound like a d*ck, but this 'contest' thread is spiraling downward fast - be a champ and just pick a winner.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
How 'bout this idea...?

Let's just add one little, teeny guideline for the judge of each contest - pick a winner... and an alternate (second favorite, or whatever you want to call it, honorable mention, 2nd place, vice-winner... ) If after a reasonable period of time (2 days??) before the masses become restless, if the judge can't deliver, then the alternate person automatically calls a winner, and starts the next round. Shouldn't be too hard to keep things going this way, and wouldn't require any restructuring of the lack of structure...;)

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Let's just add one little, teeny guideline for the judge of each contest - pick a winner... and an alternate (second favorite, or whatever you want to call it, honorable mention, 2nd place, vice-winner... ) If after a reasonable period of time (2 days??) before the masses become restless, if the judge can't deliver, then the alternate person automatically calls a winner, and starts the next round. Shouldn't be too hard to keep things going this way, and wouldn't require any restructuring of the lack of structure...;)

I second the motion.

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
According to the rules - the competition closed about two hours ago as its one week since the original post.

It has got a little confused but thats OK.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
According to the rules - the competition closed about two hours ago as its one week since the original post.

It has got a little confused but thats OK.
No, the contest should have ended on the 12th, it just started late because, for some reason, k.love started a contest thread, roughly on time, closed it, waited for a few days, and then started a new one on the 8th.

This "weekly" contest has been going for 12+ days now.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
That, or she's one really ugly chick.

K.Love, I shot two weddings this past Sat., (yes two - over 1500 images I'm editing this week) I have an engagement sitting tomorrow, a rehearsal dinner this Fri., another wedding this Sat., and a model shoot this Sun. You have the time to post an image of a dead 'pegon', but you can't type a member's name? Sorry to sound like a d*ck, but this 'contest' thread is spiraling downward fast - be a champ and just pick a winner.

He's been logged in at almost exactly 1:10AM EST everyday this week, but ya, this one is pretty much sunk, I'd say.

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
No, the contest should have ended on the 12th, it just started late because, for some reason, k.love started a contest thread, roughly on time, closed it, waited for a few days, and then started a new one on the 8th.

This "weekly" contest has been going for 12+ days now.

This is not worth an argument and obviously there has been some confusion but this thread (I know there was another one) started on the 9th Oct at 7:10am for me so it ended today at 7:09:59.
I'm allowing for people being human and making mistakes that's all. I'm as keen as anyone to have a winner and move on to the next competition.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 104

mattw126

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2008
Naples, FL - Poughkeepsie, NY
Sorry for sounding 'undiplomatic in my last post, I was just trying to drive at the point that we all have our plates full (I'm assuming most of us do anyway), but that doesn't excuse anyone from ducking their responsibilities. I know it's just a friendly contest on a forum site, but still, I was looking forward to participating.

Barring a sudden post from K.Love with a winner, the question is, now what is to be done?

Vote democratically?
Scrap this and have the previous winner pick a topic?
Wasn't there a 'more or less' second place from last week, maybe they could get the ball rolling?

Just throwing out some ideas that I hope are constructive. I'm leaving the studio soon so I'll be looking forward to seeing how this plays out when I log back in later...

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
This is not worth an argument and obviously there has been some confusion but this thread (I know there was another one) started on the 9th Oct at 7:10am for me so it ended today at 7:09:59.
I'm allowing for people being human and making mistakes that's all. I'm as keen as anyone to have a winner and move on to the next competition.

I don't find that to be a compelling argument. The contest started late, with a truncated timeline listed right in the thread title. I think it's reasonable to say that it ended back on Sunday, when it was originally scheduled to end and also was advertised to end in the thread title.

If there is was a second place winner ID in the last competition I would support him/her coming in and picking a winner to get things moving again.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
I say we give him another day, and if the contest is still unjudged, we'll do what we did when this happened about six months ago: ask for a volunteer to judge the contest.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Based on all the dust that's been stirred up, if it were me I'd probably just run as fast as I could... I thought this was supposed to be fun. Look folks, yes... if you consider a strict timeline from the last contest, it's taken awhile. The actual contest didn't get off to a start right away, and had a false start. And, there was a "truncated" contest duration in the thread title - and all of that...!

but... as a somewhat regular participant in this 'contest,' the strict timelines often fall by the wayside. The last contest I won, I didn't even know for 3 days or so because I was busy, and failed to check back. I ran the contest for a week, and took a couple of days judging and handing it off, which then took a day or so before the next contest started. It seems we have always had some slack built-in to the 'system' and for me, if the current contest (taking into account the late start) started on Oct 8, then it's now been 1 day over... and if it goes 2 days without any signs of life from our judge, then we go to plan B. Not a big deal, really. There's no money, no prizes on the line here.

I know some people have been waiting for a long time, but perhaps we could all take a step back and just relax. The point of the thread is beginning to get lost on me now... is this a photo contest or a debate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.