Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

talkingtree

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2016
Dear iPhone Users,

I'm feeling like Apple sold me a little short on their smaller iPhone 7... I wanted to upgrade to this phone because I was initially excited that the smaller 7 now incorporated a better camera and and also incorporated Optical Image Stabilization that wasn't available in the regular iPhone 6S last year which is the reason I had to opt out for the plus. Then I found out that they had changed that in the latest 7 and I wanted to get back to a smaller and more portable phone.

Immediately I noticed that my images looked degraded on the new iPhone 7 and upon doing some serious research, I found out that the iPhone 7's LCD screen is only 326 PPI while the 7 Plus model has a screen density of 401 PPI which is quite a few more pixels per square inch! So not only is the iPhone 7 Plus's screen much bigger, it's also more dense and far more sharper!!! I guess the iPhone 6S Plus spoiled me not only with a larger screen but also with more pixels per square inch...!? Which leads to another question: Why in the hell did Apple not integrate a slightly higher quality screen @401 PPI on the smaller iPhone 7 to maximize the screen quality of the smaller space?

Can anyone tell me why Apple is not more up front about this... I feel like the iPhone 7 doesn't have a screen truly worth being called a retina and now I'm suffering buyer's remorse for failing to not stick with the Plus model of the newest iPhone...

What's your thoughts?

Nate

talkingtree

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2016
Or you didn't research.

or the fact that Apple simply calls both screens sizes "HD Retinas"?
[doublepost=1482341564][/doublepost]
Do not want to hurt your feelings but this DPI difference between the 7 and 7+ is pretty well known.

It is not Apple that is not on their game . . . . .

If you just bought it, return it and get the 7+.

I can't because I'm not going to pay a $35 restocking fee that Sprint requires for a simple exchange... :/

AppleB

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
OP why did you research the screen specs after purchasing the 7 if that's a important factor to you?
I can understand not being satisfied with a particular screen resolution but it's right there in the tech specs on the iPhone 7 Apple Store page.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
or the fact that Apple simply calls both screens sizes "HD Retinas"?
[doublepost=1482341564][/doublepost]

I can't because I'm not going to pay a $35 restocking fee that Sprint requires for a simple exchange... :/

So for $35 you are going to keep a phone that makes you unhappy. Maybe you need to think about this for a while. $35 is not bad to learn a valuable lesson. The 7+ camera is pretty darn nice, I love mine.

Stevessvt

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2010
If you even looked in the Apple Store app it says right there what the dpi of each is.

Attachments

• IMG_0118.PNG
    IMG_0118.PNG
    345.8 KB · Views: 450
  • IMG_0119.PNG
    IMG_0119.PNG
    356.9 KB · Views: 449

talkingtree

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2016
I'm just simply pondering all of this and I think Apple seriously sold the iPhone 7 short when they could have implemented a better screen at 401 PPI in a smaller space. It would have been perfect then...
[doublepost=1482341827][/doublepost]
If you even looked in the Apple Store app it says right there what the dpi of each is.

Yup that's where I received the revelation after the fact... lol

Reactions: 11bE5

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I'm just simply pondering all of this and I think Apple seriously sold the iPhone 7 short when they could have implemented a better screen at 401 PPI in a smaller space. It would have been perfect then...
[doublepost=1482341827][/doublepost]

Yup that's where I received the revelation after the fact... lol

I think I would still pay the $35 but that is up to you. Looking at your avatar, you do not look like you are from around here.

Reactions: deany

skyperbon

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2010
All over the WWW...
Umm... It's clearly mentioned in the Tech Spec Page of the iPhone 7.

Should have done a bit more research before before you bought a new one.

Attachments

• Apple.jpeg
    Apple.jpeg
    75.7 KB · Views: 310

rugmankc

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2014
So for $35 you are going to keep a phone that makes you unhappy. Maybe you need to think about this for a while. $35 is not bad to learn a valuable lesson. The 7+ camera is pretty darn nice, I love mine.

At 65 I lost a lot more than that learning "life" lessons--Feel for the OP: but if those factors were so important, should have researched and played with one.

talkingtree

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2016
Apple call any phone screen over 300ppi "retina" (it's purely a marketing term) - the resolution of these screens has been the same since these size phones were introduced

Thanks for letting me know... lol
[doublepost=1482342868][/doublepost]
At 65 I lost a lot more than that learning "life" lessons--Feel for the OP: but if those factors were so important, should have researched and played with one.

You wouldn't believe me if I told you I'm over a century old but relatively new to Earth and it's many cultures! ;)

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I went to a Pixel from my 6s+ and I had a similar experience. Smaller phones have less PPI and I can't stand them (seriously affects readability) - that and their battery life difference is very noticeable. My wife is the same (even though she's half my size) - she can never go back :).

Reactions: I7guy

Stevessvt

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2010
I went to a Pixel from my 6s+ and I had a similar experience. Smaller phones have less PPI and I can't stand them - that and their battery life difference is very noticeable. My wife is the same (even though she's half my size) - she can never go back :).
Actually that's incorrect. The Google Pixel is the same resolution as the 6S+ in a smaller package. Therefore has a higher pixel density of 441 compared to 401. It's all about the resolution on a given screen size.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Actually that's incorrect. The Google Pixel is the same resolution as the 6S+ in a smaller package. Therefore has a higher pixel density of 441 compared to 401. It's all about the resolution on a given screen size.

What I meant to say is the Pixel vs the Pixel XL. Comparing the Pixel to the Pixel XL. The pixel density difference is enough to bother me. So I couldn't ever go back to a smaller model.

Reactions: deany
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.