Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
Dear iPhone Users,

I'm feeling like Apple sold me a little short on their smaller iPhone 7... I wanted to upgrade to this phone because I was initially excited that the smaller 7 now incorporated a better camera and and also incorporated Optical Image Stabilization that wasn't available in the regular iPhone 6S last year which is the reason I had to opt out for the plus. Then I found out that they had changed that in the latest 7 and I wanted to get back to a smaller and more portable phone.

Immediately I noticed that my images looked degraded on the new iPhone 7 and upon doing some serious research, I found out that the iPhone 7's LCD screen is only 326 PPI while the 7 Plus model has a screen density of 401 PPI which is quite a few more pixels per square inch! So not only is the iPhone 7 Plus's screen much bigger, it's also more dense and far more sharper!!! I guess the iPhone 6S Plus spoiled me not only with a larger screen but also with more pixels per square inch...!? Which leads to another question: Why in the hell did Apple not integrate a slightly higher quality screen @401 PPI on the smaller iPhone 7 to maximize the screen quality of the smaller space?

Can anyone tell me why Apple is not more up front about this... I feel like the iPhone 7 doesn't have a screen truly worth being called a retina and now I'm suffering buyer's remorse for failing to not stick with the Plus model of the newest iPhone...

What's your thoughts?

Nate
If you're a photographer, I would've though the image sensor and optics would be more important than the viewfinder.

How do your photos look when you get them off the phone?

Reactions: BigMcGuire

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
OP, just suck it up and pay the $35 to exchange for the 7+ since clearly the 7 makes you unhappy.

Not wanting to exchange the phone because of the restocking fee is just silly on your part.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I guess I had to much faith in Apple that they were on top of their game!? lol
The iPhone 7 is a slightly improved iPhone 6s, and the iPhone 7+ is a slightly improved iPhone 6s+. So Apple were absolutely on top of their game.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Dear iPhone Users,

I'm feeling like Apple sold me a little short on their smaller iPhone 7... I wanted to upgrade to this phone because I was initially excited that the smaller 7 now incorporated a better camera and and also incorporated Optical Image Stabilization that wasn't available in the regular iPhone 6S last year which is the reason I had to opt out for the plus. Then I found out that they had changed that in the latest 7 and I wanted to get back to a smaller and more portable phone.

Immediately I noticed that my images looked degraded on the new iPhone 7 and upon doing some serious research, I found out that the iPhone 7's LCD screen is only 326 PPI while the 7 Plus model has a screen density of 401 PPI which is quite a few more pixels per square inch! So not only is the iPhone 7 Plus's screen much bigger, it's also more dense and far more sharper!!! I guess the iPhone 6S Plus spoiled me not only with a larger screen but also with more pixels per square inch...!? Which leads to another question: Why in the hell did Apple not integrate a slightly higher quality screen @401 PPI on the smaller iPhone 7 to maximize the screen quality of the smaller space?

Can anyone tell me why Apple is not more up front about this... I feel like the iPhone 7 doesn't have a screen truly worth being called a retina and now I'm suffering buyer's remorse for failing to not stick with the Plus model of the newest iPhone...

What's your thoughts?

Nate
Serious research? You only have to look at apples website to see that the smaller iPhone has less PPI...

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
What I meant to say is the Pixel vs the Pixel XL. Comparing the Pixel to the Pixel XL. The pixel density difference is enough to bother me. So I couldn't ever go back to a smaller model.

That's kind of how I view the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus. The clear difference with camera is in the plus model with the 10x Zoom and Portrait Mode. And I think Apple and other manufacturers are sticking all their premium features in the larger variant and for cost related reasons and profit.

Last edited:

Tom G.

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Champaign/Urbana Illinois
I have hard time understanding the fact that the OP bought a iPhone 7 mainly for taking Photos when the iPhone 7+ has a much better camera (two lenses no less) allowing you to do so much more. Example, you cannot explore the Bokeh effect on a iPhone 7, nor do you have the "telephoto" lens.

All he really wanted was a smaller iPhone then complains about the seeming poorer quality of the photos. What do the photos look like on a computer screen or monitor, or when printer? That's the real test, because that's where the real work in making a decent photo is going to be done.

Sunny1990

Suspended
Feb 13, 2015
That's kind of how I view the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus. The clear difference with camera is in the plus model with the 10x Zoom and Portrait Mode. And I think Apple another manufacturers are sticking all their premium features in the larger variant and for cost related reasons and profit.
shame on you apple, people who prefer smaller model are pissed,greedy apple forcing people to buy their more premium expensive product

Last edited:

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013
The screen has been the same since the 6 and 6 plus were introduced. It's not noticeable anyways.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
shame on you apple, people who prefer smaller model are pissed,greedy apple forcing people to buy their more premium expensive product

I'm confused by your post. You stated people who prefer the smaller model are "Pissed." How could someone be mad if they prefer the smaller model, when Apple is not forcing anybody to purchase the larger Plus model?You have options. Three of them to be exact.

And no matter what Apple inputs into their larger variant, not everybody wants a 5.5 inch iPhone or cares about the Dual camera, which is the real major seller in the plus model.

d5aqoëp

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2016
I guess I had to much faith in Apple that they were on top of their game!? lol
Releasing same design for last 3 years (6, 6S and 7) says a lot about their game!

I just upgraded from 6S Plus to 7 Plus and the photos are quite good on it. I am addicted to Portrait DOF mode.

talkingtree

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2016
Then Merry Christmas!

Jesus was a Paladin! ;)
Sorry for your predicament OP. I would bite the 35.00 and get what you want.

Oh, and welcome to the Forum. It is not the "kinder, gentler" board of bygone days--;):):):)

Thank you! :)
[doublepost=1482404029][/doublepost]
I'm confused by your post. You stated people who prefer the smaller model are "Pissed." How could someone be mad if they prefer the smaller model, when Apple is not forcing anybody to purchase the larger Plus model?You have options. Three of them to be exact.

And no matter what Apple inputs into their larger variant, not everybody wants a 5.5 inch iPhone or cares about the Dual camera, which is the real major seller in the plus model.

For me, it's the more denser ppi of the plus model that is a stronger selling point. It just seems to work better for darkroom editing. I had high hopes for the smaller screen but not when it looks like it's degrading the images and you can't get a fairly accurate result because of that. Like I said, I really think Apple sold the iPhone 7 short where a 401 PPI could have really helped the iPhone 7 along with a slightly stronger battery. Instead they use dated screens. Well at least install a slight more sharper screen to take advantage of the smaller screen space!?
[doublepost=1482404127][/doublepost]
The screen has been the same since the 6 and 6 plus were introduced. It's not noticeable anyways.
It truly is if you had upgraded to the plus models over the last few years and then step back down to the 7. Trust me! You would notice!
[doublepost=1482404258][/doublepost]

Well they shouldn't have sold the iPhone 7 short. That's just not very fair to their customers. And believe it or not, most average or beyond average consumers are more likely to inadvertently miss the tech spec page and fall for the marketing hype...Isnt that the reason to limit the return/exchange days to 14? lol

talkingtree

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2016
I have hard time understanding the fact that the OP bought a iPhone 7 mainly for taking Photos when the iPhone 7+ has a much better camera (two lenses no less) allowing you to do so much more. Example, you cannot explore the Bokeh effect on a iPhone 7, nor do you have the "telephoto" lens.

All he really wanted was a smaller iPhone then complains about the seeming poorer quality of the photos. What do the photos look like on a computer screen or monitor, or when printer? That's the real test, because that's where the real work in making a decent photo is going to be done.

I wanted the smaller phone for better portability and under the impression that the smaller screen still at least matched the same amount of PPI (Pixels Per Square Inch) of the larger sibling which would have been great for a smaller screen and made it that much better. Instead, you lose nearly a hundred pixels per inch on the smaller screen! How does that make sense? I have larger interchangeable lens cameras and lenses to explore Bokeh and Narrow Depth of Field... I don't need the premium camera on the iPhone 7 Plus to achieve those effects but I do use my iPhone to transfer images over to from my 36 megapixel Sony Full Frame cameras and so I do feel like I'm taking a hit on an inferior screen at only 326 PPI! And I may end up biting the dust and paying the $35 if Sprint Customer Care ever come around to resolving the issue. I'm still working out the details with them! :/

That being said, I was interested mainly in the smaller camera for videography and an ultra portable filmmaking rig with knowing that it was capable of 4K recording, and the smaller sibling got Optical Image Stabilization...
[doublepost=1482404806][/doublepost]
If you're a photographer, I would've though the image sensor and optics would be more important than the viewfinder.

How do your photos look when you get them off the phone?

I use the phone for darkroom work... for Jpegs and occasional raws from two Sony Full Frame A7Rs...

Reactions: Arran

johnmacward

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2011
I wouldn't be so harsh on the OP as it's even shocked me to learn that the pixel densities on each phone are different. I would have immediately assumed that they would make them the same, as it honestly seems like a stupid move. What a strange inconsistent decision for high end phones.

talkingtree

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2016
I wouldn't be so harsh on the OP as it's even shocked me to learn that the pixel densities on each phone are different. I would have immediately assumed that they would make them the same, as it honestly seems like a stupid move. What a strange inconsistent decision for high end phones.

Cool... I guess not every Apple Fanboy wants to string me up just yet! ;) I truly trusted Apple which is why I failed to do the research before hand. Lesson learned!

Reactions: Arran

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Making a thread to complain about the performance of a phone which you didn't bother to research ahead of time, and then trying to place the blame on Apple is rather comical (in a logical fallacy kind of way). And to make things even richer, you (the OP) note that you can give back the phone you are unhappy with for $35.00 and get a phone you like. But for some reason, keeping a phone you are unhappy with, and one that cost a lot more than $35.00 restocking fee, is somehow more practical than getting a phone you like. With that kind of illogical thinking, you deserve your unhappiness with the phone and its cost.

Shark5150

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2014
Dallas, Texas
Dear iPhone Users,

What's your thoughts?

Nate
Come on man...

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
There's that word that can often have different effects about all kinds of things in life: "assumed"

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
The iPhone 7 is a slightly improved iPhone 6s, and the iPhone 7+ is a slightly improved iPhone 6s+. So Apple were absolutely on top of their game.
It's more than slightly improved, IMO. But to each their own opinion.
Cool... I guess not every Apple Fanboy wants to string me up just yet! ;) I truly trusted Apple which is why I failed to do the research before hand. Lesson learned!
Nice to see the pejoratives slung around. Do you "trust" car dealers when you buy a car (if you drive), or do you do your own due diligence?

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
or the fact that Apple simply calls both screens sizes "HD Retinas"?
[doublepost=1482341564][/doublepost]

I can't because I'm not going to pay a $35 restocking fee that Sprint requires for a simple exchange... :/
So now it's apple's fault you chose sprint? What can't you blame apple for?
[doublepost=1482472323][/doublepost]
OP has the typical attitude of blaming everything except one's self!
Well, I'm a moron........and it's all Apple's fault! o_O
[doublepost=1482472748][/doublepost]
Your lack of knowledge regarding reasons for particular pixel density, screen sizes and displaying images on screens is evident. There are many articles explaining why a manufacturer chooses a particular screen size and pixel density. A lot having to do with making past and new images display properly. It gets rather technically intensive, but is very interesting. Choices are actually quite limited.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
I use the phone for darkroom work... for Jpegs and occasional raws from two Sony Full Frame A7Rs...
How do you mean?

Not trying to be facetious here. I, myself, was utterly obsessed with both the art and science of photography a few decades back. You know; back when it involved gelatin-covered papers, noxious chemicals and lots and lots of water!

How does an iPhone figure into all that now? And how does display resolution affect things? Are you using it like a lightbox, or something?

Last edited:

cbreze

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2014
Oregon
Well I got the 7 for the size. The screen is awesome IMO. a few pixels here or there to me makes little to no difference.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Its actually quite simple. HD is 720p. The iPhone 7 has a 750p resolution. Therefore it is HD. It has a Retina display because it is over 300 dpi. Therefore it is a Retina HD display.
To be fair 1080p is referred to as Full HD, so its generally not referenced the same way as 720p is. And realistically Apple should have similarly called the higher PPI something different too, like Retina Plus or something else along those lines.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.