Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
To be fair 1080p is referred to as Full HD, so its generally not referenced the same way as 720p is. And realistically Apple should have similarly called the higher PPI something different too, like Retina Plus or something else along those lines.

Yes but we are not referring to full HD, we are referring to HD. HD is 720p or higher.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yes but we are not referring to full HD, we are referring to HD. HD is 720p or higher.
Right. I'm saying that in the context of the Plus version of the iPhone it would then at least be something like Retina Full HD or something like that as it wouldn't be quite the same as it wold be for the non-Plus version (which is still HD, but not Full HD).

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Right. I'm saying that in the context of the Plus version of the iPhone it would then at least be something like Retina Full HD or something like that as it wouldn't be quite the same as it wold be for the non-Plus version (which is still HD, but not Full HD).

I guess. But its still 100% on the OP for not even reading the tech specs. But Apple is not wrong in claiming they are both Retina HD, because they both are. One is just better. But they both meet the requirement.

Andrewtst

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2016
Next time do home work. Since 6 Plus already like that.

This year is the 3rd year already Plus Edition is more than Full HD but no plus edition only more than HD.

Apple claim both Retina HD and nothing wrong on it as both pass HD resolution.

You can't blame any as this is really really old thing. 3 years already.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I guess. But its still 100% on the OP for not even reading the tech specs. But Apple is not wrong in claiming they are both Retina HD, because they both are. One is just better. But they both meet the requirement.
Of course it's on the user in the end. And yes, Retina HD is applicable to both, although it would be more correct and appropriate to be something different for the Plus given that it is in fact different/better.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
Dear iPhone Users,

I'm feeling like Apple sold me a little short on their smaller iPhone 7... I wanted to upgrade to this phone because I was initially excited that the smaller 7 now incorporated a better camera and and also incorporated Optical Image Stabilization that wasn't available in the regular iPhone 6S last year which is the reason I had to opt out for the plus. Then I found out that they had changed that in the latest 7 and I wanted to get back to a smaller and more portable phone.

Immediately I noticed that my images looked degraded on the new iPhone 7 and upon doing some serious research, I found out that the iPhone 7's LCD screen is only 326 PPI while the 7 Plus model has a screen density of 401 PPI which is quite a few more pixels per square inch! So not only is the iPhone 7 Plus's screen much bigger, it's also more dense and far more sharper!!! I guess the iPhone 6S Plus spoiled me not only with a larger screen but also with more pixels per square inch...!? Which leads to another question: Why in the hell did Apple not integrate a slightly higher quality screen @401 PPI on the smaller iPhone 7 to maximize the screen quality of the smaller space?

Can anyone tell me why Apple is not more up front about this... I feel like the iPhone 7 doesn't have a screen truly worth being called a retina and now I'm suffering buyer's remorse for failing to not stick with the Plus model of the newest iPhone...

What's your thoughts?

Nate

I didn't read the entire thread but these are my thoughts:

1. Why didn't you preview the device before purchasing? I would have expected you to go into the store, grab a demo unit, and review the display/camera.

2. Review Apple's website and compare phone specs. Maybe even go back over the iPhone 7 keynote reveal as well.

3. You should have a 15 day window to return the device. If you missed this window, you really only have yourself to blame.

Reactions: imanidiot

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
Some folks have buyers remorse on a bloomin' house purchase and you wont pay $35 to reverse the situation on a $700+ phone
I'm sorry, with respect, but I question your thought process.

mikezmac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2014
NH
Dear iPhone Users,

Can anyone tell me why Apple is not more up front about this... I feel like the iPhone 7 doesn't have a screen truly worth being called a retina and now I'm suffering buyer's remorse for failing to not stick with the Plus model of the newest iPhone...

What's your thoughts?

Nate

As far as the screen resolution Apple is very upfront about it it's printed in the specs on the webpage. The quality of your photos however won't be affected by the fact that the screen resolution is less.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

talkingtree

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2016
Some folks have buyers remorse on a bloomin' house purchase and you wont pay $35 to reverse the situation on a $700+ phone
I'm sorry, with respect, but I question your thought process.

I would do the $35 restocking fee but Sprint is making it dang near impossible to exchange. I love Apple so much, or I wouldn't be griping! ;)

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
I would do the $35 restocking fee but Sprint is making it dang near impossible to exchange. I love Apple so much, or I wouldn't be griping! ;)

Hi
Has something changed since you said on Wednesday "I'm not going to pay a $35 restocking fee that Sprint requires for a simple exchange"...apart from time.

maerz001

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
The main reason for having lower ppi display is battery life (and money;-)
Going to 401ppi results in 30% more pixels to push.

It would result in about 2 hours less battery life. That's why the 5SE is doing so well

Last edited:

redbeard331

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2009
Forget about the iPhone, I'd think an Alien would have access to a far superior camera then what we have here on Earth. I'm sure your Alien phone takes waaaaay better pics than any Sony..?

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
Immediately I noticed that my images looked degraded on the new iPhone 7 and upon doing some serious research, I found out that the iPhone 7's LCD screen is only 326 PPI while the 7 Plus model has a screen density of 401 PPI which is quite a few more pixels per square inch!
I'd hardly call finding the pixel density "serious research". It's pretty common knowledge.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
Dear iPhone Users,

I'm feeling like Apple sold me a little short on their smaller iPhone 7... I wanted to upgrade to this phone because I was initially excited that the smaller 7 now incorporated a better camera and and also incorporated Optical Image Stabilization that wasn't available in the regular iPhone 6S last year which is the reason I had to opt out for the plus. Then I found out that they had changed that in the latest 7 and I wanted to get back to a smaller and more portable phone.

Immediately I noticed that my images looked degraded on the new iPhone 7 and upon doing some serious research, I found out that the iPhone 7's LCD screen is only 326 PPI while the 7 Plus model has a screen density of 401 PPI which is quite a few more pixels per square inch! So not only is the iPhone 7 Plus's screen much bigger, it's also more dense and far more sharper!!! I guess the iPhone 6S Plus spoiled me not only with a larger screen but also with more pixels per square inch...!? Which leads to another question: Why in the hell did Apple not integrate a slightly higher quality screen @401 PPI on the smaller iPhone 7 to maximize the screen quality of the smaller space?

What's your thoughts?

Nate

The smaller iPhone does have a higher contrast ratio so colors/blacks/whites pop ever so slightly more. Though I do prefer the higher-density display on the 7 Plus the higher contrast is noticeable.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I can feel for the OP. Everyone here saying to do research, in under apple's own page has much info on this. Should amoerson really have to go to a third party page to buy something?

That said, there are easily accessible text units st Apple stores, Best Buy, carrier stores, etc. so while you may not intuitively find a spec sheet to compare, you can get the product in your hand pretty easily.
[doublepost=1482609876][/doublepost]
I'd hardly call finding the pixel density "serious research". It's pretty common knowledge.
Among people here, maybe. I present to you my mother who doesn't even have a concept of data. To her an email is the same as a picture is the same as a video. Some of the stories my wife tells me from Best Buy are excellent too. I think calling pixel density common knowledge has having far too much faith in consumers. People buy what they are told is better along with what fits into their budget.

teeshot44

macrumors 65816
Aug 8, 2015
US
And I may end up biting the dust and paying the $35 if Sprint Customer Care ever come around to resolving the issue. I'm still working out the details with them! :/

Resolving what issue? It's simple, pay $35 and return it. It's cut and dried. No issue about it.....unless there's more to the story which it sounds like it is.

Reactions: imanidiot

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
Among people here, maybe. I present to you my mother who doesn't even have a concept of data. To her an email is the same as a picture is the same as a video. Some of the stories my wife tells me from Best Buy are excellent too. I think calling pixel density common knowledge has having far too much faith in consumers. People buy what they are told is better along with what fits into their budget.
I'm not saying everyone knows the ppi, just that it's stated almost everywhere online where specs are listed and it wouldn't take "serious research" to find.

ibookg409

Suspended
Apr 20, 2016
Portsmouth, NH
Forget about the iPhone, I'd think an Alien would have access to a far superior camera then what we have here on Earth. I'm sure your Alien phone takes waaaaay better pics than any Sony..?
All their resources go to anal probe technology advancement. Nothing is devoted to camera tech.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Dear iPhone Users,

What's your thoughts?

Nate

The Plus has always had a 1080P screen and the standard phone a 760p screen. It's very well known. But the 7 and 7 Plus have been reported as having camera issues in forums. Hopefully Apple will fix them with software updates?

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
I'd bite the $35. However, I'm also frustrated. My reason is that the 7+ is not like a slightly improved 6s+. Unlike with the 6s and 6s+, the 7 and 7+ have different amounts of RAM now too!

Not just a better camera, but more RAM. It's pretty much a forced hand to buy a bigger phone even if you like them smaller, if you are a techie or enthusiast. Which is probably why they sold out of the 7+ and it's still back ordered in some places.

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
Higher resolution has meant better gpu and ever bit of memory means putting a load on the battery plus increased heat... just like any computer.

curtvaughan

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2016
Austin, TX
Or you didn't research.
The point of purchasing from Apple - or at least one of the points - is that Apple could be "trusted" to do much of the research for you. If you went to an Apple store requesting the phone with the most bang per buck in display and camera functionality, the "genius" types would direct you to the appropriate hardware. If you have to do all the research yourself, then yes, get on Google and read extensive reviews of the top of the line phones available and choose accordingly.
[doublepost=1482677389][/doublepost]
It's more than slightly improved, IMO. But to each their own opinion.

Nice to see the pejoratives slung around. Do you "trust" car dealers when you buy a car (if you drive), or do you do your own due diligence?
Hmm. To compare Apple to the generic "car dealer" is not quite the nuance you are looking for - car dealers range from low end used car salesmen to the high end dealers of Lamborghinis, Ferraris, and the like. I would tend to trust the high end folks a bit more than the used car dealers - the high end car dealer has a lot more to lose in terms of brand reputation if he/she makes an underhanded sale, and the customer has a lot more to lose moneywise. Apple has somewhat tainted its high end reputation the last few years. "Caveat emptor" is horning in a bit in customer land.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
The point of purchasing from Apple - or at least one of the points - is that Apple could be "trusted" to do much of the research for you. If you went to an Apple store requesting the phone with the most bang per buck in display and camera functionality, the "genius" types would direct you to the appropriate hardware. If you have to do all the research yourself, then yes, get on Google and read extensive reviews of the top of the line phones available and choose accordingly.
[doublepost=1482677389][/doublepost]
Hmm. To compare Apple to the generic "car dealer" is not quite the nuance you are looking for - car dealers range from low end used car salesmen to the high end dealers of Lamborghinis, Ferraris, and the like. I would tend to trust the high end folks a bit more than the used car dealers - the high end car dealer has a lot more to lose in terms of brand reputation if he/she makes an underhanded sale, and the customer has a lot more to lose moneywise. Apple has somewhat tainted its high end reputation the last few years. "Caveat emptor" is horning in a bit in customer land.
I don't see apples reputation being tarnished, but I guess to each their own.

With these days of instant on-line reviews, all car dealers can take a big hit in trust, not just high-end dealers. But how many Ferraris are sold vs Toyota Camry? Caveat emptor applies to anything you buy. Know what you are buying.

Apple cannot do your own research, determine how much memory, ssd, how many gig, what size, what model. You have to know what you are buying. By saying things like "apple can be trusted", which yes they can, but they can't crawl inside your brain and thus the blame-shifting.
[doublepost=1482684214][/doublepost]
I can feel for the OP. Everyone here saying to do research, in under apple's own page has much info on this. Should amoerson really have to go to a third party page to buy something?

That said, there are easily accessible text units st Apple stores, Best Buy, carrier stores, etc. so while you may not intuitively find a spec sheet to compare, you can get the product in your hand pretty easily.
[doublepost=1482609876][/doublepost]
Would your mother care about pixel density? Or to her would the overriding feature of a phone be comfortable to grip and easy to use. And if it's not the highest spec phone on the spec sheet, that would be okay?

When you buy a car, if you care about performance, do you take the sales persons word on it, or do you do your own research? Someone who claims to be a digital photographer in 2016, should care and know about pixels and densities and resolution and depth of field and all of that stuff, and this is just screen resolution, nothing to do with the final product.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.