Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
That's the entire point of the last few pages that one would click the buy button before doing further reading in the website because the information is not arranged in such a manner to make it conducive to reviewing the specs...if I paraphrased correctly.
More or less.

One would buy a phone based on size because they're unaware of other differences (in this specific case screen quality, aside from size) and thusly regret it.

I think Apple does a great job summing up the specs of their macs. And I don't think it's a bloated or convoluted page. And they all have more specific tech specs available too should the user want them. Unsure why this doesn't translate to their phones.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
That's the entire point of the last few pages that one would click the buy button before doing further reading in the website because the information is not arranged in such a manner to make it conducive to reviewing the specs...if I paraphrased correctly.

But who would immediately click Buy Now and commit hundreds or thousands of dollars without doing at least a little reading? :)

There's an entire page for Tech Specs already. It's clearly marked. And there's only a grand total of four pages in the iPhone section anyway. It's not hard to seek out. It also shows comparisons between the two iPhone 7 models, for instance.

And I'm not sure how many of the 25 spec categories they would need to duplicate on the Purchase page to fix this problem.

Wubsnap

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2016
Try this - go to the Apple website. Click on "iPhone" -> "Learn More" -> "Tech Specs", and scroll to "Display". The two models are listed side-by-side *by default*. Could the differences in the displays be made with any more plain language? Hell, the resolutions and PPI haven't changed since the 6 and 6 plus years ago, it's not like the information hasn't been out there for some considerable time.

The decision you made on your 6S plus purchase, if you considered the screen at all, was based on the same screen resolution, size and therefore PPI. Just as the 6S would have been a downgrade from the 6S plus, the same follows for the 7 plus and 7. Just because the colour gamut improved doesn't mean anything else did, for that you have to check the specs - especially if it's going to affect your livelihood or hobbies.

"1334-by-750-pixel resolution at 326 ppi" vs "1920-by-1080-pixel resolution at 401 ppi". Seems pretty clear to me.

Also, I'm not sure why a photographer would buy the non-plus model. Ever. Scrolling down to the "Camera" section, again it's very clear that the dual camera on the 7 plus is far beyond the 7, and the 6s plus - offering 2 x optical telephoto at f/2.8 to complement the f/1.8 wide-angle, plus depth-mapped software bokeh, it's simply far more versatile for an EDC camera.

You got what you paid for. The Plus costs USD$120 (18%) more, but gives you 17% more screen diagonally, plus 23% higher pixel density, plus a whole nother 2x telephoto f/2.8 camera, and a whopping 48% larger battery - plus additional features enabled by this (third!) camera. It's clearly the superior device unless you just can't take the size.

Reactions: Michael Scrip

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I'm still trying to figure out after reading the OP why they have attracted such condescending and sarcastic replies? I agree they should have compared the specs before they purchased but it annoys me that people feel compelled to be so rude when pointing this out.

I'm an iPhone user myself and found too many faults with the iPhone 7 to justify buying it this time around. I think it's the most disappointing phone they have produced to date and ended up settling for an iPhone 6S which I am now stuck with until 2018. I'm fine with it as its a really good phone but disappointed with the suggestion Apple had deferred the facelift model an extra year. It's put a lot of people on contracts in a spot where you either keep the 6 an extra year or just upgrade to an older device. I love Apple products and will continue buying them as long as they are viable, but I don't share the same fierce loyalty I see all too often on here. It's Christmas, we can be polite to each other. :)

macTW

Suspended
Oct 17, 2016
I guess I had to much faith in Apple that they were on top of their game!? lol
Been this way for years, smaller phone less PPI. Since the plus originally came out. It's well known info, or so it seemed.

Sorry to hear the mistake, though. I'd eat cereal for a day or two and meal money alone would be the $35. For a phone you'd have for years, I say it's worth it.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
That's what I thought. It doesn't fill me with much admiration to be honest.

The screen is plenty good enough on my 6S but it's annoying to see the Plus marketed as much better in the screen department, when it's very possible to improve battery performance in the smaller package. I get the impression it's kept the way it is for sales purposes. Unfortunately the Plus is a massive phone and not an option for people like me.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
That's what I thought. It doesn't fill me with much admiration to be honest.

The screen is plenty good enough on my 6S but it's annoying to see the Plus marketed as much better in the screen department, when it's very possible to improve battery performance in the smaller package. I get the impression it's kept the way it is for sales purposes. Unfortunately the Plus is a massive phone and not an option for people like me.
Given the size of the 6/6s/7, while going to higher PPI and resolution would look somewhat better, it wouldn't be as much of an improvement as far as the effort and resources and return on investment on that smaller size for most typical users who likely wouldn't even notice it. I'd certainly love if it would be better, but reality kind of nudges to the way that it is pretty much.

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
Given the size of the 6/6s/7, while going to higher PPI and resolution would look somewhat better, it wouldn't be as much of an improvement as far as the effort and resources and return on investment on that smaller size for most typical users who likely wouldn't even notice it. I'd certainly love if it would be better, but reality kind of nudges to the way that it is pretty much.

We have to assume Apple researched this and looked at everything when they made the decision. I would like to believe Apple engineers and designers are smarter than end users hanging out in a forum when it comes to iPhone design decisions.

talkingtree

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2016
Okay... I didn't think my thread would face this much scrutiny and discussion. Lol... I am a photographer and this is my Instagram feed: http://instagram.com/talking_tree --- And an update:

I paid the restocking fee and I have an iPhone 7 Plus 256GB model coming in the mail but currently on back order with Sprint. Perhaps they are delaying shipment to address the malfunctioning camera issues with the Plus. Regardless, I am glad to be getting a better screen at 401 PPI! And yes it is pivotal to editing on Enlight and Lightroom, especially in RAW!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
We have to assume Apple researched this and looked at everything when they made the decision. I would like to believe Apple engineers and designers are smarter than end users hanging out in a forum when it comes to iPhone design decisions.
Well, it's not exactly as simple as that in the sense that Apple has their own interests in play as well, which can certainly differ from those of various consumers. So there's certainly that to account for as well.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
In fairness to the OP I can't understand why there is still a difference in screen quality between the two sized phones? It's over 2 years now since the iPhone 6 was launched and this hasn't been addressed.
And it seems it still won't be in 2017 with the OLED version expected to be from the bigger model.

acaibowl

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2016
1st Apple is being cheap.
2nd Apple thinks you don't need a 1080p resolution on a smaller display.
3rd battery life.

Samsung S4 has a 1080p display. Year = 2012

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

macfacts

macrumors 603
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
Apple call any phone screen over 300ppi "retina" (it's purely a marketing term) - the resolution of these screens has been the same since these size phones were introduced

Interesting that Apple does this because Samsung doesn't. Samsung put a "1440p" screen in their s7, s7 edge and note 7. Samsung also put the same camera in each of their flagship phones.

To me, Samsung gives different phone sizes as a choice for the customer and Apple does it to up sell you to buy the higher priced version.
[doublepost=1482910687][/doublepost]

Youre forgetting Apple also has accountants and supply chain managers working on it too.

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

lclev

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2013
Ohio
Well after reading all the posts - whew! - I will just say I am glad you are happy. I have the 7+ and love it. The camera takes great pictures and I especially love the video ability. Even in low light, pics and videos come out amazing.

Lisa

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
I switched to the iPhone 7 Plus and couldn't be happier! :D

I just got one yesterday myself. It's really more impressive than the regular 7. The camera in portrait mode caught my guys resting b**** face so well he was impressed. Then demanded I delete it. Haha.

I thought I might regret going from a 6s but I can see the difference in camera and my goat simulator flies (Don't laugh too hard at me) so the extra RAM is good.

davehutch

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2009
Croxley, Herts
Dear iPhone Users,

I'm feeling like Apple sold me a little short on their smaller iPhone 7... I wanted to upgrade to this phone because I was initially excited that the smaller 7 now incorporated a better camera and and also incorporated Optical Image Stabilization that wasn't available in the regular iPhone 6S last year which is the reason I had to opt out for the plus. Then I found out that they had changed that in the latest 7 and I wanted to get back to a smaller and more portable phone.

Immediately I noticed that my images looked degraded on the new iPhone 7 and upon doing some serious research, I found out that the iPhone 7's LCD screen is only 326 PPI while the 7 Plus model has a screen density of 401 PPI which is quite a few more pixels per square inch! So not only is the iPhone 7 Plus's screen much bigger, it's also more dense and far more sharper!!! I guess the iPhone 6S Plus spoiled me not only with a larger screen but also with more pixels per square inch...!? Which leads to another question: Why in the hell did Apple not integrate a slightly higher quality screen @401 PPI on the smaller iPhone 7 to maximize the screen quality of the smaller space?

Can anyone tell me why Apple is not more up front about this... I feel like the iPhone 7 doesn't have a screen truly worth being called a retina and now I'm suffering buyer's remorse for failing to not stick with the Plus model of the newest iPhone...

What's your thoughts?

Nate

Have you considered that you tend to view the phone from very slightly further away due to its larger screen? Absolute spacial resolution becomes relative to the PPI combined with the viewing distance.
For example, you don't see the benefits of a 50" 1080p over a 720p television unless you sit closer than 9ft away.
The human eye cannot distinguish details past a certain PPI/Distance combination, hence the term "Retina".

PPI is not the only factor, which is why the 5K Retina iMac looks so good, despite having a PPI of 218.

Also, regarding your images you haven't said:
  • exactly what format your photographs are - DNG, JPG, TIFF?
  • what compression levels you've used if they're JPGs
  • what colour space they've been shot in if they've been taken on a full-sized camera and then displayed on the phone
  • What levels of sharpening or noise reduction you've used etc. etc.
The 7 does have a better camera, optical image stabilisation and also shoots/displays in the wider Cinema P3 colour space. It also has additional brightness, so I'd be very surprised if the photos are worse than those taken and viewed on your old 6S Plus.

Overall though, I'd agree with most of the other posts on here. You should have researched properly and compared both sizes in the shop before you bought it.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.