Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackhawk

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2002
Elk Grove, Calif.
Photography IX

Originally posted by neut
excellent photos Blackhawk. they remind me of 1970's National Geographic pages. very cool. how are you achieving that look?

here's a few from the drive (i spend too much time going to and from work... ):

0059.jpg

0060.jpg

peace.

Neut, to be honest with you I think it has something to do with the Kodak 800 speed film and the Zoom Lens 50mm-500mm.

Blackhawk

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2002
Elk Grove, Calif.
Re: Re: Photography IX

Originally posted by MacBandit
So it looks like this on the film? It looked like a scanning issue.

Macbandit, pretty much and of cousre these prints where done by our local Sam's Club and then scanned in, I think I'm going to try and scan in the negatives to see if they are any better that way.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Re: Re: Re: Photography IX

Originally posted by Blackhawk
Macbandit, pretty much and of cousre these prints where done by our local Sam's Club and then scanned in, I think I'm going to try and scan in the negatives to see if they are any better that way.

I'm sure you will let us know how they come out but just to be sure I'm letting you know I'm curious about your results.

neut

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
Re: Re: Re: Photography IX

Originally posted by Blackhawk

interesting... i like them the way they are. they remind me of being a kid.

peace.

neut

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
about time for a photo forum. will it debut at X? :p

here's a modified photo (found) that i just did <another suggestion... a photo illustration section would be nice for us photoshop fiends :D; i'm sure some 3-D sections are in order also;)).

0061.jpg

peace.

neut

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
Originally posted by idkew
i was playing with duotones to help someone out, and i made this. Kinda cool looking.

top is original. bottom is new dutone.

nice.

i like the "scratchy" looking light. :D

the bottom one looks like a painting... man, i haven't done duotones in a few years; brings back bad print memories. :(

glad i went digital! **** print. im tired of wasting paper.

peace.

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
japan
What camera are you using. The photos are so vibrant it must be a higher end camera.

I'm guessing it's the camera in his avatar, which looks to be a D1X (judging by it's size -it's enormous!)

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
What camera are you using. The photos are so vibrant it must be a higher end camera.

5300cs was close. ;) I'm using a D100, which is the D1x's little brother. Though I think soon i'll be a D1x/D2x user.

But yea... love the d100. Great images from it, though you have to be interested in post-processing.

5300... it does look like a D1x in my av, now that I look at it. Weird. eh?

Here's a few more shots from yesterday:

DSC_8580.jpg

DSC_8517.jpg

DSC_8519_bw.jpg

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by Moxiemike
5300cs was close. ;) I'm using a D100, which is the D1x's little brother. Though I think soon i'll be a D1x/D2x user.

But yea... love the d100. Great images from it, though you have to be interested in post-processing.........................

Hmm if I had thought about it a bit I probably would have remembered you used the D100. What sort of post-processing are you having to do.

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Hmm if I had thought about it a bit I probably would have remembered you used the D100. What sort of post-processing are you having to do.

hm. i start out shooting raw, make some adjustments in Nikon Capture or PS CS and then finish the image in PS CS. Usually some level adjustments (the d100 undexposes a little to prevent clipped highlights....) and some saturation adjustments, resizing, sharpening and blammo! :) new image!

m

MacBandit

macrumors 604
hm. i start out shooting raw, make some adjustments in Nikon Capture or PS CS and then finish the image in PS CS. Usually some level adjustments (the d100 undexposes a little to prevent clipped highlights....) and some saturation adjustments, resizing, sharpening and blammo! :) new image!

m

Okay that makes sense since you are using RAW. Those are pretty much the same post processes that from what I understand you would have to use on any high end camera using RAW. It's always better to do the processing on the computer rather then let the camera do it so I definitely agree with using RAW.

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Okay that makes sense since you are using RAW. Those are pretty much the same post processes that from what I understand you would have to use on any high end camera using RAW. It's always better to do the processing on the computer rather then let the camera do it so I definitely agree with using RAW.

Yea. I'd say it's 50-50. You wanna expose the photo correctly in camera ALL the time, and there's things like contrast and white balance you should get right in cam, but if you're a little off, RAW can make a good photo amazing and a "thow away" into a keeper.

It's like, that little extra you can get from the photos. BUt you should get it 99% of the way right in cam and adjust in raw. it's REALLY like a digital darkroom. :)

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Yea. I'd say it's 50-50. You wanna expose the photo correctly in camera ALL the time, and there's things like contrast and white balance you should get right in cam, but if you're a little off, RAW can make a good photo amazing and a "thow away" into a keeper.

It's like, that little extra you can get from the photos. BUt you should get it 99% of the way right in cam and adjust in raw. it's REALLY like a digital darkroom. :)

Exactly all your pre-processing (shooting) should be done as well as possible and leave the post-processing to the digital darkroom on the computer.

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Exactly all your pre-processing (shooting) should be done as well as possible and leave the post-processing to the digital darkroom on the computer.

Yea. It's weird. I encounter people who spend $3000 on a D100 and lenses and then hate the idea of post-processing... it's like, why not just get a Point & Shoot 5mp something or other and save the cash?

These people get the D100, the 10d... I've even seen people with the $3000 and $4000 nikon, canon and kodak offerings. And they HATE post-processing. Weirdos.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Yea. It's weird. I encounter people who spend $3000 on a D100 and lenses and then hate the idea of post-processing... it's like, why not just get a Point & Shoot 5mp something or other and save the cash?

These people get the D100, the 10d... I've even seen people with the $3000 and $4000 nikon, canon and kodak offerings. And they HATE post-processing. Weirdos.

I guess they hate great photos also. They sound like the common day photographer that thinks they can just get a good camera shoot and take their film into Wal-Mart to be developed.

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
I guess they hate great photos also. They sound like the common day photographer that thinks they can just get a good camera shoot and take their film into Wal-Mart to be developed.

Yea. I actually just got an HP DesignJet 120... i did my first big enlargements with the D100.... printed a few 13x19s and a 24x36. All I can say is WOW.

Impressive.

I'd never trust my prints to wally world. :)

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
A pic I took in the Alps (Sauze D'Oulx, Italy). It was on a bad sony camera. I haven't had time to crop it. The red is from the sign for a red slope. Fun snowboarding :D.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.