Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zync

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2003
Tampa, FL
Originally posted by MacBandit
I guess they hate great photos also. They sound like the common day photographer that thinks they can just get a good camera shoot and take their film into Wal-Mart to be developed.

People like that are ignorant. I'd be willing to bet that if you polled them on some of their favorite photographers they'd mention Ansel Adams, and if they did you'd be obliged to HIT THEM! Every great photographer post processes in some manner or another....we level the hell out of stuff, Ansel dodged and burned for much of his life. Besides the fact that developing negatives itself is post processing....you have to worry about what type of developer, how long to develop, remember if you pushed or pulled the film (trying to maintain highlight and shadow detail) and compensate for that, blah, blah, etc. If people complain about having to adjust levels or curves they should have their ass kicked....ass kicking stupid people should be a government subsidized industry! :D

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Originally posted by idkew
i am a bit conservative when it comes to photography. i think that a change in saturations, level, contrast... are ok, but (almost) any filter or layering is too much.

I agree. I like post-processing (like developing tricks in a darkroom) and things like sharpening, etc are great. But some people's photos end up looking like Monet's.

i;m amazed at the filmlike qualities in some my prints. Impresses me. :)

MacBandit

macrumors 604
i am a bit conservative when it comes to photography. i think that a change in saturations, level, contrast... are ok, but (almost) any filter or layering is too much.

Well how else are you going to correct for flaws in photography and the fact that cameras rarely mirror the true beauty of the situation if you don't correct for under-saturation and contrast and correct levels because a bright sky blew out your beautiful ground detail, etc..

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Well how else are you going to correct for flaws in photography and the fact that cameras rarely mirror the true beauty of the situation if you don't correct for under-saturation and contrast and correct levels because a bright sky blew out your beautiful ground detail, etc..

Exactly. Esepcially with digital's lesser dynamic range, there's times when i've done two exposures on a tripod, one for the shadows and one for the sky, say, and compositioned them together.

People did stuff like that in film too...

neut

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
interesting topic.

photo manipulation has always been an interest of mine (obviously). i find it neccessary in my work flow as i am a terrible film photographer, but i excel in digital manipulation. i no longer view photography as capturing moments in time, but rather capturing an emotion or a representation of what i was feeling or "seeing" at that particular moment.

i like to put myself into my work and to do so i need to be very manipulative to it. pushing and pulling until i find myself in any image.

i appreciate those who can develop perfectly, print perfectly, know what each situation technically calls for, or those who have really steady hands. all of which i suck at. but i sure as hell know photoshop — and i know how i want things to look.

i think i would bore myself if i took good photos. once you snap the photo... the fun is over.

thank-you post processing for saving my career as a digital artist.

peace.

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Originally posted by neut
interesting topic.

photo manipulation has always been an interest of mine (obviously). i find it neccessary in my work flow as i am a terrible film photographer, but i excel in digital manipulation. i no longer view photography as capturing moments in time, but rather capturing an emotion or a representation of what i was feeling or "seeing" at that particular moment.

i like to put myself into my work and to do so i need to be very manipulative to it. pushing and pulling until i find myself in any image.

i appreciate those who can develop perfectly, print perfectly, know what each situation technically calls for, or those who have really steady hands. all of which i suck at. but i sure as hell know photoshop — and i know how i want things to look.

i think i would bore myself if i took good photos. once you snap the photo... the fun is over.

peace.

You know, there was a little art movement that was reliant on capturing the "emotion" at a particular moment... that being impressionism, which is one my fave movements of all time.

And yea, I do love capturing a good image, but I also like digital challenges and manipulations. Makes life much more fun IMHO.

But sometimes, I do get a rush from a "nailed" exposure, such as:

lr_km.jpg

But at the same token, there have been TONS of images where I did a little manipulation, such as doing some shadow recovery in the grassy areas on this shot:

road1.JPG

It's a situational thing, I think. Where one needs to manipulate, do it. Where you don't need to don't. It's all art anyways. :)

But yea, Neut. Maybe you're gonna start a new movement in photography!

zync

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2003
Tampa, FL
interesting topic.

peace.

Actually (to speak of Ansel again), that is exactly why Ansel broke from his previous ways of photography and started to capture the moment and envision how he thought it would best explain his emotion at the things he saw....it's all because of a wratten yellow filter gentleman...that gave way to the Ansel we know now...

MacBandit

macrumors 604
interesting topic.

peace.

Even the best photographers need a little help in the developing room nearly all the time. Sometimes they need a lot. The problem is there are situations that you can't get a perfect photograph unless you do like Ansel and wait in one spot for up to a year on end for the perfect lighting. Even then sometimes physics don't allow it so you need to correct it in the development process.

neut

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
ahh, yes; the perfect emotion.

perfection is an idea i threw away along time ago. everything is perfect. if it wasn't, how could it exist? unless everything is in a state of imperfection and constantly falling apart, but this feels more like flying to me. :D and i've never felt more together in my life.

i like the idea of impressionism. most captures (photos) feel like a perfect security camera to me. cold... yet accurate; but what is accuracy? and to what standards? and does any of this really matter if we choose to perceive these things as art?

ok, i feel like im back in school now. i think i should shut-up and shoot some crappy pictures to fix and post. ;)

peace.

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
ahh, yes; the perfect emotion.

perfection is an idea i threw away along time ago. everything is perfect. if it wasn't, how could it exist? unless everything is in a state of imperfection and constantly falling apart, but this feels more like flying to me. :D and i've never felt more together in my life.

i like the idea of impressionism. most captures (photos) feel like a perfect security camera to me. cold... yet accurate; but what is accuracy? and to what standards? and does any of this really matter if we choose to perceive these things as art?

ok, i feel like im back in school now. i think i should shut-up and shoot some crappy pictures to fix and post. ;)

peace.

this convo does have an art school vibe... reminiscent of smoking cigarettes and eating crappy sandwiches outside of our class building on break. haha

zync

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2003
Tampa, FL
Originally posted by Moxiemike
this convo does have an art school vibe... reminiscent of smoking cigarettes and eating crappy sandwiches outside of our class building on break. haha

Defintely, I'm sitting outside mine in my car :D

neut

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
so i actually got right up, went outside and took a few picture... pretty cold though. i was waiting for the rain all day, but it came later in the day. the sun was blaring through a thick haze in the sky. to focus on the sun would bast out the rest of the image and to focus on the tree it killed the sky... i picked the one that had any trace of color left in the image. :D

original:

0062_original.jpg

post-edit:

0062.jpg

peace.

btw- what happened to the drunk thread? and the off-topic thread waste-landed already???

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
Okay, I never got around to scanning those B&W pics of mine, sue me :p

Maybe I should get around to scanning in some slides of mine, namely one of the main stained glass window at Notre Dame, and one of the Eiffel Tower that I was meaning to put together...

whocares

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
:noitаɔo˩
Dudes and dudesses, you have got to stop posting like madpersons on these photography threads! It's impossible to follow them :eek:

I've just browsed through this one (I participated actively in the original) and without wanting to hurt anyones feelings, though all pics are good, I must say that Moxiemike's pics really stand out (this is an impression from this thread only - previous not taken into account).

Keep up the work guys and keep posting! I have time I might get back into these threads. Photography is one of my fav. hobbies...

Mac til death

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2002
Memphis
I've got a ton of pics from Glacier National Park last summer, and some pretty cool ones of the wildfires...... :)

here's one, the full res. shot looks great... I got 14 rolls of film :) (man I need to get that new Nikon digital camera, film development is steep)

Attachments

• mdeer.jpg
    mdeer.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 179

idkew

macrumors 68020

i don't see how we disagree?

idkew

macrumors 68020
Originally posted by Mac til death
I've got a ton of pics from Glacier National Park last summer, and some pretty cool ones of the wildfires...... :)

here's one, the full res. shot looks great... I got 14 rolls of film :) (man I need to get that new Nikon digital camera, film development is steep)

you might be interested in my site; i have glacier picts from 2 years ago. please set up a site, i would love to compare before and during the fires. you can find a link in my sig to my site.

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
i agree, and it has not only been this young thread.

You don't do so badly yourself, there, idkew. And neut's stuff is almost always eye catching to me.

You guys are flattering me though. I really just like shooting. Never really paid much mind to how well i did at it! :eek:

Thanks. :) Let's keep posting though... it's a good way to learn from one another.

Mac til death

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2002
Memphis
nice shots, idkew... The shots of the fire are really smokey... (go figure. :)) but I did get 2 shots of helicopters flying in to drop water...

here are two more, and then I'm going to class...

Attachments

• flower.jpg
    flower.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 179
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.