Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

idkew

macrumors 68020
Originally posted by zync
The pic after the Ram should've been a picture with the camera sitting on the ground that you'd show as a vertical image :D

idkew, nice car shots man! really love the engine...the Ford GT didn't have that intake in the middle of the hood before, only the two on the sides for heat dispersion (I'm assuming that's what they're for, they will create a low pressure area that would make it easy for the engine to get air but that'd be pointless)....how come no pics of the new mustang!? :D

i have a couple, but they are no good.

too many people trying to see it. check my web page for the picts.

zync

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2003
Tampa, FL
wait, now I do remember seeing the intake there before...

sweet...I'm nearly drooling and I've only seen like two pictures...love the Saleen S7, gotta admire a car that could technically drive upside down at only 100mph....never saw your FLW section, gotta check that out too...

i draw concepts of my own somtimes and it's funny that Mitsubishi's concept Eclipse is very similar to one of my designs for a door for a car similar to a 350Z...

wait, I did see your FLW gallery...love his designs...very cool...

MacBandit

macrumors 604
The pic after the Ram should've been a picture with the camera sitting on the ground that you'd show as a vertical image :D I liked the waterfall shot...

idkew, nice car shots man! really love the engine...the Ford GT didn't have that intake in the middle of the hood before, only the two on the sides for heat dispersion (I'm assuming that's what they're for, they will create a low pressure area that would make it easy for the engine to get air but that'd be pointless)....how come no pics of the new mustang!? :D

Vents are also there to create down force. Air passing through them pushes down on the car as it is forced up and through the vent.

zync

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2003
Tampa, FL
Originally posted by MacBandit
Vents are also there to create down force. Air passing through them pushes down on the car as it is forced up and through the vent.

True, I didn't think of that...hood vents would seem quite useful thinking of them in that manner, they'd both remove heat and add downforce, albeit not very much unless they have scoops in the underbody, otherwise there won't be too much air passing through as one would expect....still useful though... they'd have to watch the angle of the vents versus the angle of the hood (where the vent is) as they might inadvertently create lift instead :) obviously not with the GT but any car not windtunnel tested already...also the engine adds a lot of weight, oh forgot, mid engine :)

MacBandit

macrumors 604
True, I didn't think of that...hood vents would seem quite useful thinking of them in that manner, they'd both remove heat and add downforce, albeit not very much unless they have scoops in the underbody, otherwise there won't be too much air passing through as one would expect....still useful though... they'd have to watch the angle of the vents versus the angle of the hood (where the vent is) as they might inadvertently create lift instead :) obviously not with the GT but any car not windtunnel tested already...also the engine adds a lot of weight, oh forgot, mid engine :)

They often put radiator intakes in the front air dam so they get high positive pressure there through the radiator. On some cars like the F50 the vents in the hood are not for the radiator but only for down force. In the case of the F50 they have a large electric fan in each of them and they pull air from underneath the car which starts out being low air pressure pocket anyway due to the cars aerodynamics. With the hood vents and the fans on the F50 though they are actually capable of developing negative air pressure under the car in affect sucking the car to the road.

idkew

macrumors 68020
They often put radiator intakes in the front air dam so they get high positive pressure there through the radiator. On some cars like the F50 the vents in the hood are not for the radiator but only for down force. In the case of the F50 they have a large electric fan in each of them and they pull air from underneath the car which starts out being low air pressure pocket anyway due to the cars aerodynamics. With the hood vents and the fans on the F50 though they are actually capable of developing negative air pressure under the car in affect sucking the car to the road.

i need that. my 115hp corolla with 115,000miles is just not cutting it.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by idkew
i need that. my 115hp corolla with 115,000miles is just not cutting it.

Hehe, I'm right there with you. In fact we have a 97 Corolla with 180,000 on it. Actually I can't complain the thing runs like new and drives great. We put some performance street struts on it a year ago and they made a world of difference. The stock struts wore out after about 120,000 miles.

whocares

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
:noitаɔo˩

So what, you're saying an F50 can double as a vacuum cleaner? Pretty expensive alternative :eek: :p :p

-idkew

Like the car pics, especially the engine and the GT.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
I went out today...

DSC_1873.jpg

zync

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2003
Tampa, FL

I believe the underbody of the S7 is actually designed in that manner as well. Supposedly it's able, as I said before, to go upside down at only 100 mph....at 100 mph my car feels like it's going to lift off the road :) even with the spoiler on my V6 mustang (like it really does anything though :D)....i think it's really funny how all these people put spoilers on their cars that are so huge when all they're doing is causing drag on the car in effect making it slower! Spoilers aren't even useful until about 75 mph!

eye, glad you're back man, you're work is wondrous!

MacBandit

macrumors 604
I believe the underbody of the S7 is actually designed in that manner as well. Supposedly it's able, as I said before, to go upside down at only 100 mph....at 100 mph my car feels like it's going to lift off the road :) even with the spoiler on my V6 mustang (like it really does anything though :D)....i think it's really funny how all these people put spoilers on their cars that are so huge when all they're doing is causing drag on the car in effect making it slower! Spoilers aren't even useful until about 75 mph!

There are quite a few cars that use this vacuum effect. As for expensive vacuum cleaners? Only if you have a carpet big enough that you can get up to 100mph before vacuuming it.

Ah, big winged with wing nut drivers. Hmm the speed at which they work is all dependent on the size of the wing. The bigger the wing the bigger the idiot I see driving it. See it works even sitting still.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA

heh...thanks man... :)

I've been shooting a lot so far this year, but it's all been work related. Yesterday was honestly for the first time I'd been out to shoot for myself since December. :D

zync

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2003
Tampa, FL
There are quite a few cars that use this vacuum effect. As for expensive vacuum cleaners? Only if you have a carpet big enough that you can get up to 100mph before vacuuming it.

Ah, big winged with wing nut drivers. Hmm the speed at which they work is all dependent on the size of the wing. The bigger the wing the bigger the idiot I see driving it. See it works even sitting still.

True, the 360 uses it, etc. etc. the list is endless....and yes spoiler size is an issue, I should've said MOST :D Oh, yeah, there is a correlation between spoiler size and stupidity! Once I saw a joke car that someone had shot a picture of on the internet and well I think it warrants a diagram for explanation:

Code:
-------------------------------
||                           ||
|  OO                     OO  |
-------                 -------

It was like an old rusty crown vic with sheet metal for the pedestal section and a bar for the actual wing....it was definitely satire at it's best!

Originally posted by eyelikeart
heh...thanks man... :)

I've been shooting a lot so far this year, but it's all been work related. Yesterday was honestly for the first time I'd been out to shoot for myself since December. :D

You're welcome! It's just great to see it again!

xthree

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2004
PA
Just got done reading this thread. Lots of awesome photos! Trying to find something to post.. Hmmmmmm

neut

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
hmmm... when did this turn into the car thread??? j/k ;) cool car pics.

while we're on a car theme here's an abstract from the inside of mine:

0063.jpg

hey eye, post more photos please (oh, just noticed... you did). :p

xthree, im stoked to see what ya' got to post.

peace.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Nice shot, Frank.

Here's a pano I took a couple weeks ago. Anyone got any tips for color matching with photo merge in Photoshop CS? The merge process is awesome, I just wish I could tweak the individual image colors after the fact.

(apologies for the width - the original is 19000 pixels wide :eek:)

Attachments

• la_jolla_pano.jpg
    la_jolla_pano.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 160

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
so there's a merge tool in photoshop now? is that new or was i missing something before?

never had much luck with various stitching apps...

there may be a better way, but could you just create a very rough merge with the images as layers... tweak those layers to match better, and then do the actual merge?

seeing as how i don't know how the merge works in ps, that may not work... as for actually doing the color correction, i've always wondered how people do that so well myself... which kinda sucks given that i should be able to do that pretty well in my field.. hah.

idkew

macrumors 68020
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
Nice shot, Frank.

Here's a pano I took a couple weeks ago. Anyone got any tips for color matching with photo merge in Photoshop CS? The merge process is awesome, I just wish I could tweak the individual image colors after the fact.

(apologies for the width - the original is 19000 pixels wide :eek:)

canon's panoramic tool works pretty well with levels and such. i am not sure if you can download it for free...but you might.

one tip: make the settings all fixed between shots on your camera.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
jello -
Yup, Photoshop 8 (aka CS) has an option under the Automate menu for Photomerge. Good stuff, brah.

idkew-
Camera settings don't help much after the fact. ;)

I'll definitely try to do that next time, though. I'll look for the Canon software, too.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule
so there's a merge tool in photoshop now? is that new or was i missing something before?

never had much luck with various stitching apps...

there may be a better way, but could you just create a very rough merge with the images as layers... tweak those layers to match better, and then do the actual merge?

seeing as how i don't know how the merge works in ps, that may not work... as for actually doing the color correction, i've always wondered how people do that so well myself... which kinda sucks given that i should be able to do that pretty well in my field.. hah.

No it's a new feature of Photoshop CS.

As for level matching I believe there is an automatic feature that is suppose to work in combination with the stitching ability so that it automatically matches color and level. I haven't played with it much as I haven't shot many panoramas since I have had a copy of CS to play with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.