Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EstorilM

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2007
So many to choose from.. blah.

I guess I'll pick the wise grasshopper.
macrohopper.jpg

Camera Model: NIKON D200
ISO Speed Rating: 250
Exposure Time: 1/200 sec
F-Number: f/7.1
Focal Length: 200.00 mm

Pretty basic, took it with the 70-200 2.8 VR. I guess the focal length is a little long for that shutter / hand holding, but not really with VR. :)

Yakamoto

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2006
Planet Earth
Hoops

Heres a fun one I shot yesterday. :)
shoot.jpg

NIKON D40
2007:01:10
Flash used: Yes
Focal length: 18.0mm
Exposure time: 0.0020 s (1/500)
Aperture: f/7.1
ISO equiv.: 200
Metering Mode: center weight
Exposure: aperture priority

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
So many to choose from.. blah.

I guess I'll pick the wise grasshopper.
macrohopper.jpg

Not trying to be too picky, but you should post some info about the photo (date photo was taken, location, and maybe any Photoshopping details or EXIF data you feel is important for people to know (eg: for night-shots, cool Photoshop effects, or even for macros like one you just took)). Lots of people who have recently joined the thread aren't doing it right now, it seems, but it was iGary's original intent, and while he's not posting much anymore, I think it was a great idea since we all come from a different city and travel to different places. We also have different equipment, so sometimes people tell us what lens was used (although you don't need to if it doesn't add any perspective on how you got a photo to work), or what Photoshop filters were used to achieve certain effects.

ANYWAY......um......here's one from Nagoya Aquarium in Japan. I had a hard time choosing which photo! :eek: This one was taken January 6th, 2007 using only my Nikon D50 and my 50 mm f/1.8. Flash wasn't allowed (which I totally agree with), and you should have seen how many people struggled to get any photos at all, including the DSLR shooters. They have their L series lenses, but they don't have a $100 lens for low light? ;)

Attachments

• Sharks.jpg
    Sharks.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 63

EstorilM

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2007
Yeah I've done that in the past, but I don't have a simple EXIF viewer on this computer yet. I'll go grab one, I suppoooose. :eek:

edit: Wait a second, where's your exif for that shot? Haha.. mine's pretty basic, but I'd like to know what ISO that was (looks 1000ish) to see how dark it was in there.

Blahineedprimelenses.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
It's ISO 800 and 1/50 of a second shutter speed, but I had to play with the white balance A LOT(!) to get the "underwater look out of the photo." The original looks much cleaner.

Oh, the aquarium was definitely dark, but not pitch black or anything. It was just low light, since the water was dark. The low light was partially why I needed to shoot at f/1.8 to f/2.8 most of the time. The other reason was the speed at which the dolphins other fish swam. Some aquatic life moves slowly, but some are very speedy. I thought I was shooting at ISO 1600 when I took this photo. If I knew I was shooting at ISO 800, I would have changed it to ISO 1600 and shot at 1/80 or 1/100 seconds instead.

Others were clearly struggling with their photos because many of them would shoot a few photos, look at their LCD, and try shooting a few more. After doing this several more times, I'm sure many of them gave up.

Oh, and I made a mistake. My photo was of dolphins, not sharks. :eek:

edge540

macrumors regular
May 10, 2004
Indiana
Lioness and Cubs

It was really hard to find the lioness and her cubs, but it was defenitely worth it once we found them.

354139310_17b79684ea_o.jpg

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
More from Detroit.
IMG_6582.jpg

Audi Q7 V12 TDI unveiling, taken at really low light (thanks Audi), and had to be brightened up a touch.

Thanks everyone for the comments on the previous photo.

Camera Model: Canon EOS 30D
Camera Software: QuickTime 7.1.3
Horizontal Resolution: 72 dpi
Vertical Resolution: 72 dpi
Image Created: 2007:01:11 19:04:06
Exposure Time: 1/160 sec
F-Number: f/4.0
Exposure Program: Shutter Priority
ISO Speed Rating: 400
Lens Aperture: f/4.0
Exposure Bias: 0 EV
Metering Mode: Pattern
Flash: No Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length: 35.00 mm
Color Space Information: sRGB

More Photos from the show can be found here, we have hundreds more to process, but won't post them all! ;)

EstorilM

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2007
Ughhhh the Q7 is SICK! 730lb-ft of torque at ~1400rpm? WTF.

I'm not really an Audi fan, but they can do some amazing things with a diesel engine. I wouldn't mind a V10 TDI Touareg.

EstorilM

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2007
A subtler Orton technique on these boats...

354243832_f63b0e084e_b.jpg

That's a great one - so it's 3 exposures or..? I know with a conventional Orton technique you'd take an OOF frame and overlap it with an over-exposed in-focus frame.

It kinda reminds of a totally random shot I got at the National Horse Show in Wellington, FL a little while ago... (like I said this was random that they happened to line up like this, they were warming up watching the person that was showing in the ring next to them.)
001AT_9640.jpg

edit: wtf, I just noticed that firefox doesn't display images using embedded color profiles like safari - so all of my pictures look like crap. :( I thought sRGB was pretty much a standard? Lame.

EastCoastFlyer

macrumors regular
That's a great one - so it's 3 exposures or..? I know with a conventional Orton technique you'd take an OOF frame and overlap it with an over-exposed in-focus frame.

It kinda reminds of a totally random shot I got at the National Horse Show in Wellington, FL a little while ago...

I cheated and adjusted the exposure of the original photo in PSE, then overlayed it with a copy that I de-colorized and blurred. Orton is a 2 exposure process, while HDR generally uses 3 or more.

My oldest daughter rode (dresage) at Wellington some years ago! Wild.

Yakamoto

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2006
Planet Earth
Captured this portrait shot the other day.
Used with permission....:)
time.jpg

NIKON D40
Date/Time: 2007:01:10
Color/bw: Black and white (added some grain in PP, to mimic film)
Flash used: No
Focal length: 55.0mm
Exposure time: 0.050 s
Aperture: f/6.3
ISO equiv.: 800
Metering Mode: center weight
Exposure: aperture priority

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
It kinda reminds of a totally random shot I got at the National Horse Show in Wellington, FL a little while ago... (like I said this was random that they happened to line up like this, they were warming up watching the person that was showing in the ring next to them.)
001AT_9640.jpg

I don't understand. How did you get the background to be like that? It looks bad, but also a bit different, so it may be good. I don't know yet. :eek:

Whiteapple

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2006
Haute Savoie,France
More from Detroit.

Audi Q7 V12 TDI unveiling, taken at really low light (thanks Audi), and had to be brightened up a touch.

Thanks everyone for the comments on the previous photo.

More Photos from the show can be found here, we have hundreds more to process, but won't post them all! ;)

Oh Oh, when this engine will end up in the already-not-so-bad Atmo V8 Audi R8, we will be close to the ultimate weapon. Extra-Low fuel consumption, particules filter (x2), competition performances (From Le Mans's R10), with quattro, etc... Cost? Oh well...:)

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Must pop bubbles :D

My dog Marley going after some bubbles we were blowing in the park.

attachment.php

D

Attachments

• marleybubbles  014.jpg
    marleybubbles 014.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 1,291
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.