Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EstorilM

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2007
The D50 only goes from ISO 200-1600. And the way you explained is usually the way I would do it but I get bored and try to challenge myself to find a way to fix an image. I think the only reason I complain is because my boss has a Fuji Finepix S2 Pro with his D200 and there is like less noise at 3200 ISO than a Nikon has at 400.

I said 1000 not 100 :) For that price point though, the noise is really quite good. As much as I like the Fuji cameras, they're such a rip off it's not even funny. I wish Nikon would just buy them out and get it over with. They'd pretty much be unstoppable. The only problem is that the sensor's data transfer isn't fast enough for sporting type situations with high framerates, which is where that kind of high ISO performance would be really useful. :(

Still, they take a D200 body, put a bunch of proprietary things on it (batteries, etc) cut the speed in half, then try to sell it for almost twice as much? Just because of a sensor that's now been in THREE cameras? Where's all their money going?

Camera Model: NIKON D200
Maximum Lens Aperture: f/2.8
Exposure Time: 1/125 sec
F-Number: f/5.6
Exposure Program: Normal Program
ISO Speed Rating: 500
Focal Length: 24.00 mm

I'm usually in aperture priority - but I needed decent depth of field, and a fast enough shutter to hand-hold, so I just turned up the ISO a little and let it figure things out. ;) Taken with Sigma 24-70 2.8 EX DG HSM Macro. It's a friend's 328 if anyone's wondering.
sienna.jpg

HckySo

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2006
turn around
I said 1000 not 100 :) For that price point though, the noise is really quite good. As much as I like the Fuji cameras, they're such a rip off it's not even funny. I wish Nikon would just buy them out and get it over with. They'd pretty much be unstoppable. The only problem is that the sensor's data transfer isn't fast enough for sporting type situations with high framerates, which is where that kind of high ISO performance would be really useful. :(

Still, they take a D200 body, put a bunch of proprietary things on it (batteries, etc) cut the speed in half, then try to sell it for almost twice as much? Just because of a sensor that's now been in THREE cameras? Where's all their money going?[/img]

Oh haha well in any rate the D50 can't go to ISO 1000 because it can only go to 200, 400, 800, and 1600. I've always wondered why the Fuji bodies were so expensive.

And that's an awesome photo by the way.

EstorilM

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2007
Oh haha well in any rate the D50 can't go to ISO 1000 because it can only go to 200, 400, 800, and 1600. I've always wondered why the Fuji bodies were so expensive.

And that's an awesome photo by the way.

Oh right, I forgot it had 1EV steps haha.

Fuji has to pay royalty fees to Nikon for the use of their bodies, metering system, focus system, and now (with the S5 Pro) full support of the iTTL flash system (which kiiiinda explains the price tag.)
It's a bizarre partnership that's for sure.

Yakamoto

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2006
Planet Earth
Famous Tree

A reworked version of the Famous Tree in The Japanese Gardens in
Portland, Oregon. I think I've posted it here before but never did any PP work on it.
japtree.jpg

EX-Z4
Date/Time: 2006:10:30
Flash used: No
Focal length: 6.8mm
Exposure time: 0.033 s (1/30)
Aperture: f/2.8
Whitebalance: Manual
Metering Mode: matrix

Yakamoto

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2006
Planet Earth
Reeds

Lake-2.jpg

D40
Focal length: 18.0mm
Exposure time: 0.0020 s (1/500)
Aperture: f/11.0
ISO equiv.: 400
Exposure bias: 0.67
Metering Mode: center weight
Exposure: program

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
^^One per day? Oh wait, maybe you're in a timezone that just changed days. Nevermind. :eek:

That blue sky looks very very.....blue(?).......on my Firefox, kind of cartoonish, but like a Japanese one.

Where did you actually take it, and when? :confused:

edge540

macrumors regular
May 10, 2004
Indiana
I said I would post this lion eating, so here it is. I have about 20 of them, it was really hard to choose which one to put up. I believe this is a good balance between expression and being able to see what he is eating.

359399857_3829e9fedc_o.jpg

Yakamoto

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2006
Planet Earth
^^One per day? Oh wait, maybe you're in a timezone that just changed days. Nevermind. :eek:

That blue sky looks very very.....blue(?).......on my Firefox, kind of cartoonish, but like a Japanese one.

Where did you actually take it, and when? :confused:
Ah loopholes, besides I've seen a few post here multiple times so lets be fair,
Post#3984, #3989, #4002 (sneak) I personally don't care, but I still follow the rules of this thread started by iGary.
I believe I had the Image mode set to Vibrant, that may be the culprit.
Eagle Mountain Lake near Ft.Worth at 12/31/206 (14:56:19)

Yakamoto

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2006
Planet Earth
I said I would post this lion eating, so here it is. I have about 20 of them, it was really hard to choose which one to put up. I believe this is a good balance between expression and being able to see what he is eating.

359399857_3829e9fedc_o.jpg
Great shot,:D
Glad to see you posting these, can't wait for the others.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
heh. Sorry, no fancy pants DSLR used today.

Just my MacBook Pro's internal iSight to get a picture of the snow today. (Two inches of snow is rare for Portland, Oregon...)

oblomow

macrumors 601
Apr 14, 2005
Netherlands
Post#3984, #3989, #4002 (sneak) I personally don't care, but I still follow the rules of this thread started by iGary.

I must have felt guilty since I checked if you had noticed my double post. Fortunately not. The joy of timezones.. :)

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I believe I had the Image mode set to Vibrant, that may be the culprit.
Eagle Mountain Lake near Ft.Worth at 12/31/206 (14:56:19)

Ah don't worry. I just worry when people try posting a large bunch of photos from a shoot because they think they can post as many as they want.

Anyway, here's Kinkakuji (Golden Temple. Kin = Gold, ji= temple, and kaku = ?) in Kyoto. I posted a photo of this temple that was composed better, but the sky was completely white in that photo, and this one was taken further away.

Attachments

• Kinkakuji.jpg
    Kinkakuji.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 92

KKP925

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
Hope this works... my first time posting a pic! :rolleyes:
Surfer in Hawaii. Christmas 2006
Shot with my Nikon D200 using my 70-200 f2.8. Untouched.

Attachments

• Surfing in Hawaii 199.jpg
    Surfing in Hawaii 199.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 70

Cybix

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2006
Western Australia
Was looking through an old CD of photos that I'd archived, most of them are very poor (first digital camera, and about 4 years old)...

there are some okay ones however. most pics are of my trip to the UK to visit my mother some time ago...

Here's one taken at, I think, Amsterdam airport.. through a window, the weather was terrible, kinda spooky!

Attachments

• fogplanes (1).jpg
    fogplanes (1).jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 62

Yakamoto

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2006
Planet Earth
Ah don't worry. I just worry when people try posting a large bunch of photos from a shoot because they think they can post as many as they want.

Anyway, here's Kinkakuji (Golden Temple. Kin = Gold, ji= temple, and kaku = ?) in Kyoto. I posted a photo of this temple that was composed better, but the sky was completely white in that photo, and this one was taken further away.
We're cool, :)
nice shot love the reflections on the water too.
Kaku=building, or layers of a building (hard to translate being that it's an add-on type word)

Are you still in Japan?
If so, any plans to visit Himeji Castle?

Yakamoto

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2006
Planet Earth
Lamp/Light

Took this from outside Starbucks.
lamp.jpg
D40
Date/Time: 2007:01:06 22:56:17
Flash used: No
Focal length: 55.0mm
Exposure time: 0.0063 s (1/160)
Aperture: f/5.6
ISO equiv.: 800
Exposure bias: 0.33
Whitebalance: Manual
Light Source: Incandescent
Metering Mode: center weight
Exposure: aperture priority

EstorilM

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2007
Hope this works... my first time posting a pic! :rolleyes:
Surfer in Hawaii. Christmas 2006
Shot with my Nikon D200 using my 70-200 f2.8. Untouched.

Oh man that's just awesome! Hawaii is what convinced me to get into photography, I went there with a Sony Cybershot F505-V (the original "big barrel" point and shoot) and well, it was struggling at that point (it was like 5 years old!)

We went over to the pipeline on the northern shore, I've never seen a beach like that in my life (the sand drops off like a CLIFF right before the water, so you can look down at the surfers.. it's amazing.)

I'd love to go back there now!

I've also heard that the Sigma 50-500 is an exception lens for surf photography (since there's so much light on the beaches most of the time, the 5.6 at 500 doesn't hurt you too bad.) Still, it's so hard to beat the 70-200 for raw sharpness - I've used one with a 2x TC and the 100% crops are still sharp!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.