Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EstorilM

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2007
D200, 70-200 2.8 VR - same old..
jump01.jpg

Yakamoto

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2006
Planet Earth
Duck in a Tree

Sorry this one isn't to good, :(
Really gloomy overcast day, but I had to try out the lens.
Croped a little, and levels tweaked in ps.
treefowl.jpg

NIKON D40
Date/Time: 2007:01:23 09:44:14
Focal length: 200.0mm
Exposure time: 0.0012 s (1/800)
Aperture: f/6.3
ISO equiv.: 200
Metering Mode: center weight
aperture priority

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
piglets.jpg

Sriracha Tiger Zoo (Tigress nursing little piglets :), so cute!), Chonburi, Thailand 01/12/07

Camera: Nikon D100
ISO: 400
Focal Length: 28mm
Shutter/Aperture: 1/13 @ f3.5

VictorM

Sep 12, 2006
hogtown
These fisheye shots look like so much fun..:D
Can't wait to see what else, will be living in a Fisheye World.

Yes, lots of fun, and when shot from the right angle, the fisheye tends to have a distinct lengthening (enhancing?) effect, which means many of the photos are censored :eek:

EstorilM

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2007
Which lens did you get Yakamoto?

I'm debating getting a fisheye, but I think I'll go for the lens that I've wanted for a LONG time now (usually I'll go back and forth about a lot of lenses.. not this one) the Nikkor 12-24 f/4. It's not a fisheye, but that makes it less of an exotic lens and more of a tool, something I can use for non-artistic photography as well. I've never shot wider than 24 with this camera, so it should be sweet!

It's just so hard to justify that kinda money (1k!) for a non "pro" lens, even if it is very sharp.

Yakamoto

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2006
Planet Earth

I'm debating getting a fisheye, but I think I'll go for the lens that I've wanted for a LONG time now (usually I'll go back and forth about a lot of lenses.. not this one) the Nikkor 12-24 f/4. It's not a fisheye, but that makes it less of an exotic lens and more of a tool, something I can use for non-artistic photography as well. I've never shot wider than 24 with this camera, so it should be sweet!

It's just so hard to justify that kinda money (1k!) for a non "pro" lens, even if it is very sharp.

I got the, Nikor Zoom Normal-Telephoto 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED AF-S DX Zoom. I'm looking to get the 18-200 vrII Nikor as soon as I can justify $750.
As fas as your superwide goes, what about the Tokina, Zoom Super Wide Angle AF 12-24mm f/4 AT-X 124AF Pro DX Autofocus? At under $500 it seems to be a very good quality kens. But you seem to know more than me on this subject, so if not pls tell me so. I don't wan't to waste money on it too.:)

HckySo

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2006
turn around
Today I made a little light box out of cardboard and paper:
368190351_6cfe0719f8.jpg

And I love the results:

Camera: Nikon D50
ISO: 800
Focal Length: 116mm
Shutter/Aperture: 1/100 @ f6
Lens: AF Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
As fas as your superwide goes, what about the Tokina, Zoom Super Wide Angle AF 12-24mm f/4 AT-X 124AF Pro DX Autofocus? At under $500 it seems to be a very good quality kens. But you seem to know more than me on this subject, so if not pls tell me so. I don't wan't to waste money on it too.:)

I have that lens. Fantastic. I can't imagine trying to justify spending 2x more money for a lens that will offer me only equal, or marginally better photos. We're talking about a very very insignificant difference, and that's debatable since many people and reviewers think they're around the same. Becoming a better photographer would more than make up for the performance 1% difference anyway.

HckySo

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2006
turn around
I really didn't follow the rules and I'm definitely going to rebuild another one and get a Pocket Wizard for my flash because right now I need to use lamps which defeats the whole purpose of the lightbox in which I made.

I got the idea from this great blog post. Follow that link for how to properly make a lightbox.

freebooter

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
Daegu, South Korea
Amazing find. I wonder what she was crying about :confused:

Thanks. The photographers were completely absorbed with their shoot and looked like they had been at it for some time. The little girl was probably cold, hungry and feeling neglected as dusk fell.
I wish I had noticed her when I was shooting, so I could have gotten a higher rez. image and not just the kinda fuzzy crop.

freebooter

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
Daegu, South Korea

I'm thinking a Sigma 10-20 might be a wider choice, but without the bulbous quality of a fish-eye. In fact, I just may get one this weekend.
This review is typical of what I've read about the lens (it is a set of 4 reviews comparing the Sigma, Nikon, Tokina and Tamron equivalents):
http://www.nikonians.org/html/resou...de_angles_shootout/super-wide_shootout_3.html

Yakamoto

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2006
Planet Earth
I have that lens. Fantastic. I can't imagine trying to justify spending 2x more money for a lens that will offer me only equal, or marginally better photos. We're talking about a very very insignificant difference, and that's debatable since many people and reviewers think they're around the same. Becoming a better photographer would more than make up for the performance 1% difference anyway.

Good to know, Thanks Abstract :D

Yakamoto

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2006
Planet Earth
I'm thinking a Sigma 10-20 might be a wider choice, but without the bulbous quality of a fish-eye. In fact, I just may get one this weekend.
This review is typical of what I've read about the lens (it is a set of 4 reviews comparing the Sigma, Nikon, Tokina and Tamron equivalents):
http://www.nikonians.org/html/resou...de_angles_shootout/super-wide_shootout_3.html

That looks like an awesome lens Cept' maybe the vingetting at wider views.
If I were you, "which I'm not" :p I'd try both out, if you can, and see which one works best for you.

EstorilM

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2007
Eh, the variable aperture of the sigma doesn't appeal to me anywhere near as much as the other lenses, especially the Nikkor when you factor in various other small benefits. As stupid as it sounds, all things created equal, I'd much rather have Nikon glass in my camera bag, having had a few quality control issues and stuff in the past with the 3rd party manufacturers. You really can't beat the 5 year warranty of the Nikkor lenses either. The Tokina would be second to the Nikon, and I wouldn't really consider the others from what I've read.

However, I just had a revelation about my next lens, and now I'm thinking I might want to get the Nikkor 135mm f/2 DC. A lot of people would consider it a portrait lens (and indeed, it's pretty much untouchable at that) but it would also be great for available-light sports stuff. The 85 1.4 is the same price (as is the 12-24 I was considering) but after looking at most of my indoor sports photography images, 85 is too wide.

Having said that, I'm not sure what would be better - 135mm f/2 images, or cropped 85mm f/1.4 images.

blah

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.