Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yakamoto

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2006
Planet Earth
Wow, that's pretty lucky! :) Great panning skills, I guess. That's one of the things I need to try out.

This photo, plus the chocolates in the photo, are what I'm giving my girlfriend for Valentines day. :) We have a long distance relationship, so the flowers are a no-go. It was taken.....2 hours ago.

I cropped the photo a bit, added vignetting, and made it a lot more contrasty. It looks too saturated from where I sit, but I'm hoping someone here can tell me if they agree. The original photo didn't come out as well as I had hoped in terms of contrast, but the colours turned out VERY saturated. I had to play with the luminance of the red colour to get it looking decent. It was a pretty miserable day outside in terms of weather and light, so maybe that had something to do with it.

Which one is better? :confused:

Thanks Abstract. :)
I read about your situation on the To do List thread, and of the two that you have here, I prefer the one on the Right. The left one is a little too saturated and contrasty. Too bad about the crummy weather though :(
I can't see the vingetting on eithier one, the water on the upper left still looks a little overblown. Might just be my monitor though :eek:
Anyway, I 'm sure she's gonna love it. You can tell her they're salt-water chocolates. :)
Have you tried your hand at the other idea yet?

drlunanerd

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2004
Here is my first try at an in-flight bird shot. I was able to get about 10ft from it before it flew off. Took about 15 shots while panning with the bird, and this is the best one I think. Taken at Ft.Worth Nature Center.
flight.jpg

NIKON D40
2007:01:28
Focal length: 200.0mm
Exposure time: 0.0016
Aperture: f/8.0
ISO equiv.: 200
Exposure bias: 0.33
Metering Mode: spot
Exposure: aperture priority

Great capture there.

One thing I'd say though is I think the sharpness is too high on it - around the heron's legs I can see artefact lines. Looking at the EXIF confirms you've got sharpening set to +2 High. From what I've seen on the D40 its normal sharpening is quite high already, personally I'd go no higher than +1 Medium High, or set it to Auto.

drlunanerd

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2004
Perpetual Dawn

Couldn't (or was too lazy) to get the exact effect I was after here, but ho hum:

Attachments

• Perpetual Dawn.jpg
    Perpetual Dawn.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 51

Oblivious

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2006
MA
You don't really need to click the shutter at the speed of light to get that shot. ;)

You need to have a tripod and go for a fairly long exposure. I guess you'd also have to guess when lightning would strike as well.

Ah, I see. I figured it might be a bit more complicated than that... perhaps using a special flash lighting detector of some sort...? Nevermind.:p Neat capture, nonetheless.

And here's mine for the day:
373649549_506ea520b5_b.jpg

edge540

macrumors regular
May 10, 2004
Indiana
Secretary Bird

I found this secretary bird in the wild in Kenya, the only one I have ever seen for that matter. I cropped it a bit, but not too much.

Secretarybird.jpg

.JahJahwarrior.

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2007
Man, this is one sweet thread!

classmate getting ready for debate tournament, Gainesville, Florida, mid-January, 2007. Taken with film 35mm slr, Pentax A3000.

sorry it's a thumbnail, larger images seem popular. click on it and it gets big though! :)

EstorilM

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2007
Camera Model: NIKON D200
Exposure Time: 2 sec
F-Number: f/11.0
Exposure Program: Aperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating: 100
Exposure Bias: -1 EV
Metering Mode: Center Weighted Average
Focal Length: 70.00 mm
White Balance: 5900K
Lens Type: Nikon G Series
Lens Range: 70.0 - 200.0 mm; f/2.8

AST_lexington.jpg

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Thanks Abstract. :)
I read about your situation on the To do List thread, and of the two that you have here, I prefer the one on the Right. The left one is a little too saturated and contrasty. Too bad about the crummy weather though :(
I can't see the vingetting on eithier one, the water on the upper left still looks a little overblown. Might just be my monitor though :eek:
Anyway, I 'm sure she's gonna love it. You can tell her they're salt-water chocolates. :)
Have you tried your hand at the other idea yet?

Thanks. :) Yeah, I agree that it's too contrasty in some parts of the image. I actually never touched the contrast slider in Lightroom. I only made things darker. The original image was so flat, no contrast at all. I don't get it. :confused:

And the "vignetting" is white. I added it in to give it a dreamier effect, but I think I'm going to leave it out. The sand looks nice the way it is anyway.

Crawn2003

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2005
Santa Rosa, California
Barber Shop

This photo was taken a few months ago but I felt the need to post it. Call me whatever you want but it's for a good cause.

This photo is of John C. Riley, barber and family friend. He'd been my barber since I was 2! He was like a grandfather to me and he's going to be missed dearly. I missed seeing him over the holidays to give him prints of these... After 20 years of talking and laughter I'll always remember walking in to get a haircut and he'd be smoking his big old cigar or stopping by on holidays to see him at home. It was during one of these visits that I asked if I could bring in some equipment and photograph him at what he loved doing most: talking to friends, smoking his cigars, and (lol) cutting hair.

So now as I sit here sipping on a beer typing this, I think of an old friend and a great quote:

To absent friends, in memory still bright....

John C. Riley
June 1928 - December 18, 2006

Attachments

• Barber 3.4.jpg
    Barber 3.4.jpg
    223.8 KB · Views: 64

Yakamoto

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2006
Planet Earth
This photo was taken a few months ago but I felt the need to post it. Call me whatever you want but it's for a good cause.

This photo is of John C. Riley, barber and family friend. He'd been my barber since I was 2! He was like a grandfather to me and he's going to be missed dearly. I missed seeing him on After 20 years of talking and laughter I'll always remember walking in to get a haircut and he'd be smoking his big old cigar or stopping by on holidays to see him at home. It was during one of these visits that I asked if I could bring in some equipment and photograph him at what he loved doing most: talking to friends, smoking his cigars, and (lol) cutting hair.

So now as I sit here sipping on a beer typing this, I think of an old friend and a great quote:

John C. Riley

Great Life Capture.
Sorry for your loss of a dear friend.

Yakamoto

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2006
Planet Earth
Another day, another photo...:)
Taken a few days ago at the local Duck pond.
Many thanks to those who commented on my in-flight shot. :)
wduck.jpg

NIKON D40
2007:01:25
Focal length: 200.0mm
Exposure time: 0.0006 s (1/1600)
Aperture: f/6.3
ISO equiv.: 200
Exposure bias: 0.33
Metering Mode: center weight
Exposure: aperture priority

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location

This photo is of John C. Riley, barber and family friend. He'd been my barber since I was 2! He was like a grandfather to me and he's going to be missed dearly. I missed seeing him on After 20 years of talking and laughter I'll always remember walking in to get a haircut and he'd be smoking his big old cigar or stopping by on holidays to see him at home. It was during one of these visits that I asked if I could bring in some equipment and photograph him at what he loved doing most: talking to friends, smoking his cigars, and (lol) cutting hair.

John C. Riley

Sorry for your loss. It's amazing who we get really close to. I'm glad you became so close to him when I'm sure most of his customers were just paying "customers"

Purity.jpg

Canon A95

Actually, I took this last fall, but it sure reminds me of summer. Warm...green...colorful....

Excellent as always. :)

freebooter

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
Daegu, South Korea
WHOA:eek: Mind if I use this for my Desktop?

And so ends my 30 post streak. It's been a fun 9 hours.:)
Sure, no problem.

Awesome! I can't wait till summer. Every winter I kinda lose interest in photography, then when summer comes I'm out all the time! :D
Thanks, my photo interest has tapered a little this winter, too (absolutely no snow!), although my recent venture into DSLR-land has revitalized it to some degree.
Excellent as always. :)
Thanks.

freebooter

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
Daegu, South Korea

This photo is of John C. Riley, barber and family friend. He'd been my barber since I was 2! He was like a grandfather to me and he's going to be missed dearly. I missed seeing him over the holidays to give him prints of these... After 20 years of talking and laughter I'll always remember walking in to get a haircut and he'd be smoking his big old cigar or stopping by on holidays to see him at home. It was during one of these visits that I asked if I could bring in some equipment and photograph him at what he loved doing most: talking to friends, smoking his cigars, and (lol) cutting hair.

John C. Riley

So good! Real life, and what not...
Thanks.

Pac a Mac

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2007
England
Sealife. National Seal Sanctuary, Cornwall

Camera: FUJIFILM / FinePix S7000
ISO Speed: ISO 200
Shutter Speed: 1/28 sec
Aperture: f 3.2
Focal Length: 7.8 mm
Flash: Off

Attachments

• DSCF2373SHOW.jpg
    DSCF2373SHOW.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 43
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.