Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tektonnic

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2006
Bucks, UK
Giancarlo Fisichella looses control at Stowe, Silverstone, 09/06/06

Camera: Nikon D50
ISO: 200
Focal Length: 200mm
Shutter / Aperture: 1/640 @ f5.6
Lens: Sigma 50-200mm f4-5.6

166730381_81c1fb4534_o.jpg

tonyeck

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2004
Las Vegas, NV
tektonnic said:

Camera: Nikon D50
ISO: 200
Focal Length: 200mm
Shutter / Aperture: 1/640 @ f5.6
Lens: Sigma 50-200mm f4-5.6

166730381_81c1fb4534_o.jpg

Cool shot :) I miss watching F1 racing... :(

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
This is a picture from a typical day at work. It's from the basement stacks at the library.

I can't get it right, there's something wrong with the composition, the settings, I dunno. I want it to evoke the floor-to-ceiling, musty feeling of being surrounded by books in a basement.

I'm going to go back down tomorrow and try again, if anyone has any suggestions as to what I should try to work with, I'd be really grateful.

I took it with a Canon P2 IS, metadata from Aperture:

f 2.7
shutter 1/15
Exposure bias 0ev
focal length 6 mm

No flash, I set it to expect flourescent lighting.

Stacks.jpg

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
I like it, annk. Is it intentionally rotated? I think it adds to the feeling of eeriness I get when I see the picture, but then I don't have a "straight" version to compare to.

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
gekko513 said:
I like it, annk. Is it intentionally rotated? I think it adds to the feeling of eeriness I get when I see the picture, but then I don't have a "straight" version to compare to.

It's not rotated, I'm standing on the floor, pointing the camera straight down the stacks toward the opposite wall. I wondered if I should try some with a higher or lower vantage point, at a different angle.

It's interesting you thought it was rotated. Maybe you're computer is tipped over? :p

It's the basement at Deichman at Hammersborg, by the way. :)

Edit: I just tipped my PB to see how it looks rotated - I actually like it.

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
Oh, you're thinking 90° rotation... I ment angled, as in about 1-2° tilted to the left.

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
gekko513 said:
Oh, you're thinking 90° rotation... I ment angled, as in about 1-2° tilted to the left.

Oh, :eek: , I see what you mean. That was unintentional, I'll add it to the list of things either to avoid, or at least do intentionally, with a well-thought-out purpose. Thanks. :)

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
annk said:
It's not rotated, I'm standing on the floor, pointing the camera straight down the stacks toward the opposite wall. I wondered if I should try some with a higher or lower vantage point, at a different angle.

It's interesting you thought it was rotated. Maybe you're computer is tipped over? :p

It's the basement at Deichman at Hammersborg, by the way. :)

Edit: I just tipped my PB to see how it looks rotated - I actually like it.

I think he meant how it's not perfectly straight. Saying "rotated" makes you think a 90º turn or something, I think the question was about not completely straight.

I like the shot, definitely gives a vibe of eerie/cool/musty down there, nice ;)

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
Yeah, I'm going to have to plead the second language excuse on that one. :eek: Don't worry about the straightness, though, you're a much better photographer than I am. I wanted to see how the picture looked straightened up; this is how it looks with 1 degree rotation to the right and a crop to place the end of the rows at horisontal center...
Stacks3.jpg

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2003
Western Massachusetts
AGoglanian said:
Here is a shot from my New zealand trip a couple months ago. one of my favorites.

Shot data:
Equipment Make: Canon
Camera Model: Canon EOS 5D
Camera Software: Adobe Photoshop CS2 Macintosh
Lens: Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L
Exposure Time: 1/200 sec
F-Number: f/16.0
Exposure Program: Aperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating: 400
Lens Aperture: f/16.0
Exposure Bias: -1/3 EV
Metering Mode: Pattern
Flash: No Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length: 24.00 mm

127827393_6ff4349850_o.jpg

I really liked this photograph. The foreground mail box is great, the "clear" name on the mail box is a nice narrative bit that contrasts with the clouds. This has a lonely quality to it and I like the rural feel combined with the old mail boxes that must have seen a great many letters in their day.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Wow, I did my undergrad in at Mac in Hamilton. You know the uni I'm referring to, of course. ;)

annk said:
I'm going to go back down tomorrow and try again, if anyone has any suggestions as to what I should try to work with, I'd be really grateful.

I'd kneel down and point it straight ahead in order to exaggerate the height of the bookshelves. :) Try getting one 3 feet off the ground, but can you also try getting one around 1 foot off the ground. I'm just curious as to how a low shot like that would look. :)

Manly Beach - April 8th, 2006

Attachments

• IMG_0039 (small).JPG
    IMG_0039 (small).JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 95

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Abstract said:
I'd kneel down and point it straight ahead in order to exaggerate the height of the bookshelves. :) Try getting one 3 feet off the ground, but can you also try getting one around 1 foot off the ground. I'm just curious as to how a low shot like that would look. :)

Thanks, I'll try that today. :)

jaredalv

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2006
Northern California
annk said:
This is a picture from a typical day at work. It's from the basement stacks at the library.

I can't get it right, there's something wrong with the composition, the settings, I dunno. I want it to evoke the floor-to-ceiling, musty feeling of being surrounded by books in a basement.

I took it with a Canon P2 IS, metadata from Aperture:

f 2.7
shutter 1/15
Exposure bias 0ev
focal length 6 mm

No flash, I set it to expect flourescent lighting.

Stacks.jpg

>>

Leave it crooked. Or possibly, cant it a little more.

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
Tanglewood: I love it! You really get my attention and trigger my curiosity with that picture.

Xax

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2006
tuesday, at a local japanese restaurant, shot in vienna.

Camera: Canon EOS 5D
Exposure: 0.067 sec (1/15)
Aperture: f/2.8
Focal Length: 70 mm (24-70f2.8L)

ps: that's agamo bento, duck roasted in teriyaki sauce plus side dishes, maki, sushi, salad, a soup and a bowl of rice! YUMM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.