Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

freebooter

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
Daegu, South Korea
Green Lion Gate, with Garden

Green-Lion.jpg

May 19, 2007
Daegu, South Korea
Nikon D40
Nikkor 70-300mm

Those would be kimchi pots and a well in the background, along with onions or garlic.

oblomow

macrumors 601
Apr 14, 2005
Netherlands
My try at the orton effect. Veldhoven parrot shelter. This weekend.
IMG_2504so.jpg

Canon 350D, 1/750s f/1.8 ISO200 85mm ( yes, I could have used ISO100)

terriyaki

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2005
Vancouver
mg3260webie6.jpg

mg3260webbwcp3.jpg

I figured I'd try to desaturate this since there weren't any interesting colors in the original shot and the main focus was the shadows and different textures of the wall. But which one do you guys think is better? Thoughts?

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
I figured I'd try to desaturate this since there weren't any interesting colors in the original shot and the main focus was the shadows and different textures of the wall. But which one do you guys think is better? Thoughts?
Personally, I prefer the color version. Although there isn't any "interesting" colors, I think the yellow = sun = reiterates/emphasizes the casted shadows.

The BW version is kind of boring to me. :eek:

bowens

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2006
Florida
Thanks! I've "Orton-ised" it, something I found online. It's fairly easy to do with Photoshop ( and Elements ):

1. With an open image, select Image>Apply Image… change the bending mode to “Screen” and the Opacity to 100%. This will give you an appropriately overexposed image.

2. Duplicate this overexposed image (Image>Duplicate).

3. Blur this second image (Filter>Blur>Gaussian Blur… and in the dialog box use a Radius setting of 20-30 pixles.

4. Now drag and drop the blurry image onto the sharp one.

5. In the layers palette will be a menu box of blending modes. Change the blending mode from “normal” to “multiply”.

6. Then select Image>Flatten Image.

Voila!

Thanks, I just gave it a quick try. I don't have all my photos here so it's not a real good one. This is some property that my friend owns. How did I do?

Attachments

• Lyndsay 009_new_cool.jpg
    Lyndsay 009_new_cool.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 77

D34th

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2006
Connecticut
^^ is that a street hockey rink? If so, I envy the fact you have such a nice one (at least it looks nice). The closest one to me is not so pretty (there aren't many around here). Anyways, thats a cool perspective. I love the lighting also, seems to be taken at the perfect time of day for that shot...

xcalibre

macrumors regular
May 18, 2007
Marina Alimou, Athens, Greece

I learned about the orton effect here, so i thought i'd post one of my experiments!

Taken with a Nikon D40x. "Ortonized" in Photoshop CS3.

Attachments

• harbour_orton.jpg
    harbour_orton.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 95

Jebaloo

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2006
Terroyako, I'd definitely go for the colour version, he colours are beautiful don't you think? If you're gonna go b&w, maybe up the contrast.

Here's my photo of the day, I took it on the weekend.

506330728_d885893412.jpg

Martin C

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2006
New York City
VictorM said:
"stone tower"
Toronto, Canada
May 20, 2007
Nikon D70s, Nikkor 105mm/f2.8
Cool shot, did you make that stone tower?

I spy the CN Tower on the right in the background.

Memphis, TN
Olympus E-500
Taken: 5/19/2007
Shutter Speed: 1/200
Aperture: f/14
Focal Length: 14mm
Flash: Off
ISO: 100
[/CENTER]
Nice shot, I love photographs of grafitti.

freebooter said:
May 19, 2007.
Daegu, South Korea.
Nikon D40
Nikkor 70-300mm VR
Nice composition and textures freebooter.

Jebaloo said:
Here's my photo of the day, I took it on the weekend.
There's a lot of emotion in this shot and I love the contrast and dark shadows on his face.

xcalibre said:
Taken with a Nikon D40x. "Ortonized" in Photoshop CS3.
Nice reflections and depth; this photo takes me all the way down the marina. My only suggestion would be to crop out the folks on the far right.

terriyaki said:
I prefer black and white version, but like Jebaloo mentioned, increase the contrast so that the shadows are more defined.

epicwelshman

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2006
Nassau, Bahamas
^^ is that a street hockey rink? If so, I envy the fact you have such a nice one (at least it looks nice). The closest one to me is not so pretty (there aren't many around here). Anyways, thats a cool perspective. I love the lighting also, seems to be taken at the perfect time of day for that shot...

Honestly, I don't know... I don't remember. I think it's a basketball court, though I may be wrong. It's in a school yard near my fiance's aunt's house. The light was perfect actually, I lucked out :D

xcalibre

macrumors regular
May 18, 2007
Nice reflections and depth; this photo takes me all the way down the marina. My only suggestion would be to crop out the folks on the far right.
Thanks for the advice, i'd tend to agree - it kind of distracts a bit...

VictorM

Sep 12, 2006
hogtown
Cool shot, did you make that stone tower?

I spy the CN Tower on the right in the background.

Thanks Martin, you're right that is the CN tower. Somebody else built the stone tower, I just found it. There are piles of brick and stone in the area, and people are always building interesting objects out of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.