Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
Sheep in the sun

Trollstigen, Norway, July 16, 2006
Canon 350D
1/160
f 7.1
98 mm
ISO 400

Saturation lowered and sharpness increased in iPhoto

sheepinsun.jpg

FleurDuMal

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
London Town
Unfortunately, this one didn't take the size/quality reduction too well. It's made it look a wee bit out of focus I think, but never mind. C&C welcome

attachment.php

"Rising Daisy"
Stockport, Cheshire, UK, 18/07/06
Nikkon D70
Nikkon 18-70mm 'kit' lens @ 70mm
1/80 @ f5.0
ISO 200

Attachments

• DSC_0249.jpg
    DSC_0249.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 629

kylos

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2002
MI
gekko513 said:
So many nice pictures posted here. I love the colours and the effect of the sharp petal edge against the unfocused green background in your pic, Clix Pix. The picture of the sky is beautiful, Kyle. Deefuzz, the unusual close up perspective of the guitar makes the picture very intriguing. There's some dust or distortion under the strings on the right hand side, though. I think the picture would have been better without that.

"Yellow Flower"
Linderud, Oslo, Norway, 22.07.2006
Canon PowerShot S3 IS
1/160 @ f2.7
clean.jpg

I'm still enjoying my new camera. I'm posting a macro that I'm very happy with. It's quite cliché, I think, but it's the first macro I've shot that immediately looked appealing to me. It is reasonably in focus, and the background is anonymous enough to make the flower stand out. I did edit the colours slightly and use the vignette effect in iPhoto, but not much editing was required and that is what I like most about the picture.

I've really enjoyed this thread as well. I'm just an amateur, so it's a fun challenge to find shots that are even partially worthy posting to this thread.

Oh, and I really liked your shot of the horse just above. Very nice pose. How are you liking the S3 IS?

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
Kyle? said:
I've really enjoyed this thread as well. I'm just an amateur, so it's a fun challenge to find shots that are even partially worthy posting to this thread.

Oh, and I really liked your shot of the horse just above. Very nice pose. How are you liking the S3 IS?
Thanks. I'm just an amateur also, and this thread is a great inspiration. One idea of mine, as beginner's excersises, is to take some of the photos here that I like the most and try to reproduce them more or less accurately to try and figure out what makes them work and what's less important.

So far I like the S3 IS a lot. I'm still experimenting with all the settings to see what results I can get. Some other day I hope I will still be able to find the horses where I found them yesterday, because I want to go back and shoot them without having the ISO set to 400. I forgot that I had set the ISO for an earlier shot, so the horse shots turned out much more coarse than I had intended. *grumble*

annk: Nice shot. It's making me home sick. I think you've captured much of the essence of rural Norway in that picture.

seenew

macrumors 68000
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
Make: Canon
Model: Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XT
Shutter Speed: 1/2000 second
F Number: F/4.5
Focal Length: 50 mm
ISO Speed: 400
Date Picture Taken: Jul 21, 2006, 8:06:28 PM

dayDragon.jpg

B

BigMäc

Piercing - 7/22/06

attachment.php

Camera: Canon EOS 30D
ISO: 200
Shutter/Aperture: 1/100 @ f4
Lens: EF 50 mm f1.8 II

Must have entertained the models... damn fence

Edit: should work now

Attachments

• IMG_1716.jpg
    IMG_1716.jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 607

ashley

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2006
Kyle? said:
"Sky"

Drive-by shot taken June 19, 2006 just south of Wawa, Ontario
Adjusted for exposure and levels in iPhoto

I can't recall; the image may have been shot through the blue sun filter at the top of the windshield.

Camera: Canon S3 IS
Exposure: 1/800 @ f8
Focal Length: 6mm
ISO: S3 IS does not record ISO

Pretty! I love the clouds.

snap58

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2006
somewhere in kansas
dog

Don't do many people , but here's the dog...

Back Yard
5/27/06
Canon 5D
135L F2.0
2X tc = F4.0 = 270 mm
1/60

Attachments

• Gaddy_MG_5283.jpg
    Gaddy_MG_5283.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 87

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
snap58 said:
Don't do many people , but here's the dog...

Back Yard
5/27/06
Canon 5D
135L F2.0
2X tc = F4.0 = 270 mm
1/60

I never manage to get that almost 3-D look that you have here. That's not really the right way to put it, but you maybe know what I mean - the dog doesn't look flat, he stands out from the background. :)

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Wow, I haven't been in this thread for like 4 weeks since I didn't have enough time to catch up on what's going on. :p

Blue Mountains, June 17th, 2006.

I haven't taken any decent photos since then because I have no time. I really feel bad about not taking any for the assignment, since "Yellow" was my idea, but "c'est la vie."

Attachments

• DSC_0505.JPG
    DSC_0505.JPG
    129.5 KB · Views: 62

freebooter

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
Daegu, South Korea
A Higher Power

This was taken July 4, 2006, during a monsoon rainstorm near Daegu South Korea. I run up a local mountain, Yongji-bong, about every second day, and I recently secured a little waterproof camera to bring on the wet runs (summer is the wet-season here). In a short time, I've gathered a lot of images I would otherwise have missed.

Pentax Optio W10
ISO 64
55mm (35mm equiv.)
f/7.2
sh.sp. 0.0125

AHigerPowerpost2.jpg

snap58

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2006
somewhere in kansas
annk said:
I never manage to get that almost 3-D look that you have here. That's not really the right way to put it, but you maybe know what I mean - the dog doesn't look flat, he stands out from the background. :)

If you were to go and visit the "Wizard" he would probably tell you to take your camera off of "Program Mode" and set it to Aperture Priority : )

You can get the separation by using a very narrow Depth of Field to blur out the background (and foreground) surrounding your subject. This seems to work better with longer lenses than wide, since by their nature they have a more limited DOF.

The lens with the dog photo is 270 mm, at F4.0 and say 12 feet away, it has a depth of field of about .13 feet (about 4 cm since you are not from Kansas), so 2 cm in front and 2 cm behind the focus point.

I don't know what lens you have, I guess some sort of zoom, maybe it goes to 150 mm and f5.6 for the widest aperture. With the 350, and say 10 feet away you would have a DOF of about 8.5 cm. The closer you can get, the less the DOF will be, at 6 feet it's only 3 cm, if you can focus that close.

Just set your lens to it's widest aperture, look for something with a contrasting background behind it, take some pictures and see what you get. Note with a narrow DOF, you may not get the whole subject in focus, so pick out an interesting part, most portraits go for eyes and lips. Notice Clix Pix does this with her flower Macros, same principle, smaller scale.

cookie1105

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2006
London, UK
BigMäc said:

I really like this photo, it made me smile. Good capture + composition.

freebooter

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
Daegu, South Korea
Abstract said:
^^ Awesome. Did you take the photo through a window (in a building on top of the mountain?) of that shape?

Thanks. No, that's the magic of Photoshop. Though I've only just started to use it regularly, I love Photoshop. To get the shape, I used a Flaming Pear plugin filter called Flexify 2.

iGary

Original poster
May 26, 2004
Randy's House
BigMäc said:
attachment.php

The fly on the nose, the drip of snot on the ring...very nice. I loves me some EF 50 1.8 II.

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
snap58 said:
If you were to go and visit the "Wizard" he would probably tell you to take your camera off of "Program Mode" and set it to Aperture Priority : )

You can get the separation by using a very narrow Depth of Field to blur out the background (and foreground) surrounding your subject. This seems to work better with longer lenses than wide, since by their nature they have a more limited DOF.

The lens with the dog photo is 270 mm, at F4.0 and say 12 feet away, it has a depth of field of about .13 feet (about 4 cm since you are not from Kansas), so 2 cm in front and 2 cm behind the focus point.

I don't know what lens you have, I guess some sort of zoom, maybe it goes to 150 mm and f5.6 for the widest aperture. With the 350, and say 10 feet away you would have a DOF of about 8.5 cm. The closer you can get, the less the DOF will be, at 6 feet it's only 3 cm, if you can focus that close.

Just set your lens to it's widest aperture, look for something with a contrasting background behind it, take some pictures and see what you get. Note with a narrow DOF, you may not get the whole subject in focus, so pick out an interesting part, most portraits go for eyes and lips. Notice Clix Pix does this with her flower Macros, same principle, smaller scale.

Thanks, I really appreciate the fact that people take time to give feedback in this thread. :)

That particular technique, I'm aware of (I do use aperture priority and the other manual modes, I just use the program modes if I want to point and shoot. :) ). Blurring the background is one thing, but there was something about that dog pic that really made the dog come alive, some how. Part of my problem is I lack the technical terminology to say what I'm seeing. :eek:

I mostly use a Sigma 18 - 125, 3.5 - 5.6 lens.

Anther thing - - that great shot of the bull that BigMäc took - I have that 50 mm 1.8 lens, too, just got it yesterday - - he must've been CLOSE to that bull to use that lens. :eek:

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
My first lightning picture, taken last week in San Sebastián, Spain during a very nice storm.

Minolta Dimage A2
15 seconds at f/2.8
ISO 64

library0169ha3.jpg

Any comments or suggestions on taking long-exposure shots like this for lightning, fireworks, etc. is appreciated.

For the pictures posted above, I'll second my like for the nose-ring shot, as well as the one from seenew. I've seemed to like almost everything they've posted.

iGary

Original poster
May 26, 2004
Randy's House
gauchogolfer said:
My first lightning picture, taken last week in San Sebastián, Spain during a very nice storm.

Minolta Dimage A2
15 seconds at f/2.8
ISO 64

library0169ha3.jpg

Any comments or suggestions on taking long-exposure shots like this for lightning, fireworkds, etc. is appreciated.

For the pictures posted above, I'll second my like for the nose-ring shot, as well as the one from seenew. I've seemed to like almost everything they've posted.

Those are hard, I have been playing with lightning myself.

lightning.jpg

I like doing short exposures so you can see the feelers and other parts branching off without overexposing the main branch, but yours is much better from a beauty standpoint. Maybe cut your shutter speed in half and see what happens...I still haven't mastered it yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.