Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cybix

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2006
Western Australia
SpAtZ said:
Camera: Canon 300d
ISO: 200
Shutter/Apeture: 1/320 @ 2.8f
Lens: Canon 100mm USM f2.8

The trick to taking pictures of them is to do it at midday, when they are inactive or, when they are hunting for insects at 5pm. The bigger the dragon fly the better. They eat bigger insects, therefore taking longer to swallow them and will stay still. The smaller ones eat very small flies and it only takes them a few seconds to swallow, then they go catch another one. They are not to afraid of people, you could go up to one and touch one if your careful. In order to get close, I take my shoes off to be quiet and then lean against my tripod to steady my approach(Usually only use one leg of it). I shoot in Manual Focus and try to focus on the eyes. You can tell if you have focus on thier eyes, by looking for a swirling effect of their multi lens eyes. Also, in order to get that slight blur look in their eyes, you must be on the side of them that sun is hitting, without casting a shadow. This part only works, when the sun is not perpendicular to the Dragon Fly.

A Macro Lens is a must.

Example of Dragon Fly eating a winged insect: http://img127.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img3377tl5.jpg

your knowledge of how to successfully shoot an insect is a bit creepy! hahaha

excellent shot. Really makes me want to play 'macro'.

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
7/18/06, Monroe, LA

Body: Nikon D70s
Lens: Nikon DX 18-70mm
Exposure: 1/160s @ f/3.5
Length: 18mm
ISO: 200

skick.jpg

Attachments

• skick.jpg
    skick.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 51

Deefuzz

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Figured I would start throwing out some pictures of my home city. To start, our landmark. Only edit was to change to B&W and a small tweak to brightness/contrast settings.

"Gateway to the West" - St. Louis, Missouri - 03.22.04

bw_arch_sized.jpg

Camera: Canon Powershot S45

B

BigMäc

Wall, Thayngen CH - 7/19/06

attachment.php

Camera: Canon EOS 30D
ISO: 100
Focal Length: 55 mm
Shutter/Aperture: 1/100 @ f11
Lens: Kit

Attachments

• IMG_1540.jpg
    IMG_1540.jpg
    238.9 KB · Views: 660

triotary

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2005
Edited

Before(1st) and after

Attachments

• bw_arch_sized.jpg
    bw_arch_sized.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 54
  • redit.jpg
    redit.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 63

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
FrankieTDouglas said:
Laid down right at her feet and shot in continuous mode as she kicked the ball directly over me.

Sounds dangerous. :)

Love it though when a photographer will try anything for just the right shot.

When I get my iMac back this week I will share a few shots with a model years ago.

BTW, did you get my last PM?

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
Chip NoVaMac said:
Sounds dangerous. :)

Love it though when a photographer will try anything for just the right shot.

When I get my iMac back this week I will share a few shots with a model years ago.

BTW, did you get my last PM?

Ha! When you're down at 18mm, you're a lot closer physically than what you're seeing in the viewfinder, too. But I've had her kick a soccer ball straight ahead, right past my face, in shots in the past. So I trust her abilities.

Check your PMs.

Gwardys

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2006
It looks like a cross between a shrimp, bird, and moth to me.
Ugly. But an amazing photo.

By the way. Do you have the exif data on that picture?

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
Very nice light Mr. G4!

I had a disappointing photo shooting walk in the woods yesterday. Very few photos with potential in my opinion. Here's one of the more interesting ones. I'm still struggling with the focus on my macro shooting. The camera tends to focus on the leaves behind whatever I'm trying to shoot and it's hard to see where the focus is.

blueberries.jpg

"Blueberries"
Lutvann, Oslo, Norway, 19.07.2006
Camera: Canon PowerShot S3 IS
Exposure: 1/25 @ f2.7
Focal Length: 6mm

FleurDuMal

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
London Town
Mr. G4 said:
Long Beach, July 18, 2006
ISO 100 • f/9 • 1/250s
Olympus E-500

c3e639fb11.jpg

Ooooh...lovely light there. I love photos where the setting sun creates a dark portfolio - and you captured it really well. I've got one I took a couple of nights ago which I may dare to post on here later :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.