Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iGary

Original poster
May 26, 2004
Randy's House
AvSRoCkCO1067 said:
Thanks - I see what you mean about the focus (to fix that, do I just pick a manual focus point...I have the Nikon D50, for anyone who knows...:confused: )

What is 'shadow detail'? :eek:

I don't know how to set the focus point on a Nikon, but on mine, I normally just use the center focus point, and then recompose if I have to.

Shadow detail is like on my picture above, you can't really see the textures in the guys black shorts...in your pic, it's hard to see the texture of the cat's fur in the black area on her face.

Not such a big deal in a nautical/sailing shot where the whole picture is taken in at once, versus an image like yours that invites people to look at details - which it did.

simie

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2004
Sitting
This is one of many photos that i took yeasterday at Fairford.

Camera : Canon 20D
Aperture : f13
Shutter : 1/400
Focal Length : 10mm
ISO : 400

Attachments

• fairford-july-06.jpg
    fairford-july-06.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 143

iGary

Original poster
May 26, 2004
Randy's House
simie said:

Cool - I saw some good pics of the Osprey over in Airliners.net the other day.

Do you recall if that is hydraulic fluid or jet fuel leaking onto the ground? :eek:

simie

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2004
Sitting
iGary said:
Cool - I saw some good pics of the Osprey over in Airliners.net the other day.

Do you recall if that is hydraulic fluid or jet fuel leaking onto the ground? :eek:

I think it was hydraulic fluid because aviation fuel is so flammable - this is the first time one of these as been displayed over here in the UK at an Air Show

iGary

Original poster
May 26, 2004
Randy's House
simie said:
I think it was hydraulic fluid because aviation fuel is so flammable - this is the first time one of these as been displayed over here in the UK at an Air Show

Meh, it's just kerosene. Gas is worse.

Anyway, funny that an aircraft with such a dubious saftey record is allowed to leak on the tarmac like that. :)

Nice pic - is that a fixed 10mm lense?

iGary

Original poster
May 26, 2004
Randy's House
gauchogolfer said:
Old church door (13th century) from a Basque village near Urduña, taken yesterday morning.

Minolta Dimage A2
shutter: 1/4
f 3.5
Reduce Colors effect in iPhoto

library0054wd6.jpg

I hope you don't mind - I love your pic and removed (sloppily) the "new" key, which I think detracts form the vintage look of your image.

2.gif

simie

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2004
Sitting
iGary said:
Meh, it's just kerosene. Gas is worse.

Anyway, funny that an aircraft with such a dubious saftey record is allowed to leak on the tarmac like that. :)

Nice pic - is that a fixed 10mm lense?

The lense is a 10 - 20 mm. you know that great little beauty that distorts straight edges - its a great lense.

The commentator did mention its dubious record and about the guys that lost their lives during its development - but what ever it is on the ground - you are right it does look bad.

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
iGary said:
I hope you don't mind - I love your pic and removed (sloppily) the "new" key, which I think detracts form the vintage look of your image.

Nah, I don't mind a bit. I had mixed feelings about the key, actually, since I liked its juxtaposition of old and new, but it's the only new thing in the picture, and not really the focus. I guess I'd like to have taken a picture with and without, but maybe the curé would have gotten suspicious if I was stealing his keys :)

Thanks for the feedback.

iGary

Original poster
May 26, 2004
Randy's House
simie said:
The lense is a 10 - 20 mm. you know that great little beauty that distorts straight edges - its a great lense.

The commentator did mention its dubious record and about the guys that lost their lives during its development - but what ever it is on the ground - you are right it does look bad.

Wow, I guess I am used to my Sigma 8mm which distorts and pincushions everything, and then throws in some CA just for fun.

I really like the quality of the image, personally - I have to remap all of my images off my wide angle lense. :(

Deefuzz

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
St. Louis, MO
PlaceofDis said:
nice shot, reminds me of the Wilco album cover for "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot"
and they are some of the oddest buildings.
i love this city. :)

LOL thanks! That's the first thing that went through my mind when I saw that.

"Hey its the YHT cover!" *snap*

I love Chicago too...I am tempted to hunt down a job up there, then pick up and move.

mulze22

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2005
Up Nort
simie said:

That is an awesome aircraft. Just out of curiosity, how big was it. Compared to the other planes it looks small.

w_parietti22

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2005
Seattle, WA
Deefuzz said:
Oh I like that alot!

I wish I were good at leaving color in only what I want to...Any tips? :D

If you have Photoshop:

You can use the "magnetic lasso" to select around the item that you want. then Copy it and paste it into a new layer. In the original picture remove the color.

ashley

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2006
I love this thread! I'm an amateur at photography, but love art - it's so interesting to see the additions to the thread.

Also, any constructive criticism is very welcome!

Camera : Canon A620
Aperture : f/ 7.1
Shutter : 1/1250 s
Focal Length : 22mm (35mm = 109mm)

191179032_99dee7bc44_b.jpg

snap58

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2006
somewhere in kansas
w_parietti22 said:
If you have Photoshop:

You can use the "magnetic lasso" to select around the item that you want. then Copy it and paste it into a new layer. In the original picture remove the color.

It is easier to make new layer (copy), de-saturate it, then use the eraser to erase the top layer where you want color to come through.

Silentwave

macrumors 68000
May 26, 2006
My nephew Dylan (20 months old)

July 16, 2006, Miami, FL

82141003-O.jpg

Click for an alternate version with just the eyes.

Camera: Nikon D200
ISO: 1000
Shutter/Aperture: 1/180s f/2.5
Lens: Nikon 200mm f/2G AF-S VR
Software: Nikon Capture NX

This was a salvage job, WB got thrown at the last second in a series of pics. but a bit of work with Capture NX's control points and selective B&W conversion got it to where I like it. Resize and sharpen for web.
The software is real good....this was actually a medium/fine quality JPEG in the camera.

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
Wow, SilentWave! That's a really nice picture. I prefer the one with colour everywhere.

ashley: I like the action in the picture, but to my untrained eyes it's too much yellow upon yellow. If the photo was taken recently, you might be interested in this month's assignment thread.

Cybix

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2006
Western Australia
lilstewart, cool! it almost looks like icing on a cake... the shadow coming off the foam is cool, sun must have been just about gone for that shot!

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Great shot, lilstewart - good quality of light and there's a good sense of place and story. One thing you might try is cropping out that little bit of footprint at the left, since it's a bit of a distraction from the rest of the shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.