Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gwardys

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2006
100b3510xk5.jpg

F2.8
1/1000
ISO 100

Deefuzz

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Glad that I keep getting some positive responses...I will throw out yet another picture from an old Chicago trip (might as well get all these out there now). This one is still on my work PC so I was limited in my choices for today's image, but I wanted to get something out there. This one was edited in photoshop, obviously:

"Out for a walk" - Chicago, IL - 08.12.04

mawpaw_small.jpg

This is in front of Soldier Field (nothern entrance I believe). And the two individuals are my parents.

Comments are always welcome! :)

DBAlex

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2006
Deefuzz: No offence m8 But i dont really like that, Having your parents in Black and White spoils it! Makes it look like you cut them out from another image!

(Just looks wierd imho...)

Could you post the picture in ful sepia? Would be a better shot imho!

:)

R.Youden

macrumors 68020
Apr 1, 2005
Living Coasts, Torquay, UK, May / June 2006
Canon 300D

Attachments

• IMG_8780.jpg
    IMG_8780.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 64

w_parietti22

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2005
Seattle, WA
DBAlex said:
Deefuzz: No offence m8 But i dont really like that, Having your parents in Black and White spoils it! Makes it look like you cut them out from another image!

(Just looks wierd imho...)

Could you post the picture in ful sepia? Would be a better shot imho!

I agree. it makes your parents look like aliens or something. haha.

Deefuzz

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Haha...well you win some and lose some I guess. Thanks for all the comments DBAlex, lilstewart, qpawn and w_parietti22! Here I thought I was being artsy, but it was hit and miss. I did kind of have that feeling of it being off when I first made it, but it kind of grew on me.

Here are two other revisions I had of that one at home (finally off of work). I just resized them a second ago, but they were a little more basic...Just tweaked some of the brightness and contast settings.

mawpaw_sep_small.jpg

mawpaw_bw_small.jpg

I really dig BW and Sep looking photos, that's why I will most likely be showing photos of that nature if I can. I appreciate all the comments and criticism...Thats the only way I can learn and grow ;)

DBAlex

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2006
Ahh much better!

Doesn't look like something from Area 51 now! ;)

I love Black and white + sepia too, Ive recently been doing some 35mm black and white work, now ive just gotta get the damn stuff developed :rolleyes:

I can never understand why B+W processing is more expensive than colour, even though its a simpler process! :(

w_parietti22

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2005
Seattle, WA
Deefuzz said:
Haha...well you win some and lose some I guess. Thanks for all the comments DBAlex, lilstewart, qpawn and w_parietti22! Here I thought I was being artsy, but it was hit and miss. I did kind of have that feeling of it being off when I first made it, but it kind of grew on me.

Here are two other revisions I had of that one at home (finally off of work). I just resized them a second ago, but they were a little more basic...Just tweaked some of the brightness and contast settings.

<snip>

I really dig BW and Sep looking photos, that's why I will most likely be showing photos of that nature if I can. I appreciate all the comments and criticism...Thats the only way I can learn and grow ;)

I like the B&W. It makes your parents more of the first thing that catches your eye and then you go around to their suroundings. (Which I htink was your original idea) The Sepia seems kind of plain and dull imo and nothing really cathes your eye.

SpAtZ

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2006
NY
Another Dragon Fly(Better color than the rest of mine?)-7/17/06

img3615mv5.jpg

Camera: Canon 300d
ISO: 200
Shutter/Apeture: 1/320 @ 2.8f
Lens: Canon 100mm USM f2.8

Anyone have any Canon L telephotos that they like. I am thinking of selling my DO for a Canon 100-400 IS. Or maybe just the Canon 400mm 5.6f. I kinda want to have IS though.

qpawn

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2003
California
Deefuzz said:
Those two new pics don't really give me that creepy vibe i liked so much in the original. :D

iHao

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2005
Bay Area, CA
"Pit Stop" - Castro Valley, CA - July 5, 2006

-It was about 6pm and I was taking a walk around our local lake. I discovered a tree, and I felt that a photo was needed in order to truly capture it's obvious illustrious past.

treecarvedxg8.png

Body: Minolta Maxxum 2xi
ISO: 400

I figured this would be a pretty good way to start posting around here.

I hope you like it.

Deefuzz

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Thanks again for all the comments on my last image submissions! I appreciate the time you took to let me know what you liked and didn't!

Here's my submission for today, this was taken right outside the chuch my ex-roomate got married at on the day of the rehersal.

"Statue in the garden" - Fayetteville, IL - 06.17.05

church1.jpg

Camera: Canon Digital Rebel EOS 300d

w_parietti22

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2005
Seattle, WA
SpAtZ said:

img3615mv5.jpg

Anyone have any Canon L telephotos that they like. I am thinking of selling my DO for a Canon 100-400 IS. Or maybe just the Canon 400mm 5.6f. I kinda want to have IS though.

Incredible! :)

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
SpAtZ said:
Yeah, I agree with w_parietti. This is just incredible. I'd like to know how you took it. Exif data and all that, but also how you prepared to take the picture on location.

SpAtZ

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2006
NY
gekko513 said:
Yeah, I agree with wparetti. This is just incredible. I'd like to know how you took it. Exif data and all that, but also how you prepared to take the picture on location.

Camera: Canon 300d
ISO: 200
Shutter/Apeture: 1/320 @ 2.8f
Lens: Canon 100mm USM f2.8

The trick to taking pictures of them is to do it at midday, when they are inactive or, when they are hunting for insects at 5pm. The bigger the dragon fly the better. They eat bigger insects, therefore taking longer to swallow them and will stay still. The smaller ones eat very small flies and it only takes them a few seconds to swallow, then they go catch another one. They are not to afraid of people, you could go up to one and touch one if your careful. In order to get close, I take my shoes off to be quiet and then lean against my tripod to steady my approach(Usually only use one leg of it). I shoot in Manual Focus and try to focus on the eyes. You can tell if you have focus on thier eyes, by looking for a swirling effect of their multi lens eyes. Also, in order to get that slight blur look in their eyes, you must be on the side of them that sun is hitting, without casting a shadow. This part only works, when the sun is not perpendicular to the Dragon Fly.

A Macro Lens is a must.

Example of Dragon Fly eating a winged insect: http://img127.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img3377tl5.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.