Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
I don't think it's in RAW, unless it's in RAW by default.

I went out and took more pictures at different apertures to figure this out and I think get it now. FrankieTDouglas was right it's the maximum aperture that the camera offers, but at the current settings. If I zoom all the way out, it always says f2.7 on max aperture even if I take a photo at f8.0, but if I zoom in or possible change other settings, the max aperture number gets higher.

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
gekko513 said:
I don't think it's in RAW, unless it's in RAW by default.

I went out and took more pictures at different apertures to figure this out and I think get it now. FrankieTDouglas was right it's the maximum aperture that the camera offers, but at the current settings. If I zoom all the way out, it always says f2.7 on max aperture even if I take a photo at f8.0, but if I zoom in or possible change other settings, the max aperture number gets higher.

Possibly the max aperture for that focal length?

When you say the aperture number gets higher, do you mean numerically (4.5 is bigger than 2.8) or in the aperture way (f 2.8 is bigger than f 4.5)?

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
FrankieTDouglas said:
Possibly the max aperture for that focal length?
That seems right.
FrankieTDouglas said:
When you say the aperture number gets higher, do you mean numerically (4.5 is bigger than 2.8) or in the aperture way (f 2.8 is bigger than f 4.5)?
When I said the number gets higher I ment numerically. I'm still a bit confused by the proper technical speak.

To get an image of a subject with a blurry background, do I have to use a small aperture or a big aperture? My current theory is a big aperture, for instance f2.7.

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
gekko513 said:
That seems right.

When I said the number gets higher I ment numerically. I'm still a bit confused by the proper technical speak.

To get an image of a subject with a blurry background, do I have to use a small aperture or a big aperture? My current theory is a big aperture, for instance f2.7.

That is correct. The larger the aperture (smaller the number), the blurrier anything out of focus is. Additionally, the physically closer you are in focusing, the blurrier things just outside of focus become..

B

BigMäc

Chicken 7/15/06

attachment.php

Camera: Canon EOS 30D
ISO: 100
Focal Length: 50 mm
Shutter/Aperture: 1/320 @ f1.8
Lens: EF 50 mm f1.8 II

Attachments

• IMG_1370.jpg
    IMG_1370.jpg
    241.8 KB · Views: 569

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
I like your photos BigMäc. The water tap, especially, has already made we wish I had a camera that could use an even bigger aperture than the one I just got.

Deefuzz

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Thanks for the comments! I would have loved to wait for a train, but nothing showed up in the 10 minutes I was standing there. And knowing my skills, the train would have been blurred or something, but I am still learning. But I also dig the empty tracks, I have other pictures of train stations...I don't know why I just have this thing for them.

Today I will continue with another picture from Chicago, but this was taken on a previous trip there. I rather like it.

"Looking up at Marina" - Chicago, IL - 08.13.04

marina_city.jpg

Camera: Canon PowerShot S45

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
Deefuzz said:
Thanks for the comments! I would have loved to wait for a train, but nothing showed up in the 10 minutes I was standing there. And knowing my skills, the train would have been blurred or something, but I am still learning. But I also dig the empty tracks, I have other pictures of train stations...I don't know why I just have this thing for them.

Today I will continue with another picture from Chicago, but this was taken on a previous trip there. I rather like it.

"Looking up at Marina" - Chicago, IL - 08.13.04

marina_city.jpg

Camera: Canon PowerShot S45

nice shot, reminds me of the Wilco album cover for "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot"
and they are some of the oddest buildings.
i love this city. :)

B

BigMäc

gekko513 said:
I like your photos BigMäc. The water tap, especially, has already made we wish I had a camera that could use an even bigger aperture than the one I just got.

Thanks!

Maybe this is interesting, a while ago I read that of two cameras at the same aperture and distance from object, the one with the larger sensor size has the shallower depth of field.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
gekko513 said:
I like that one Clix Pix. How was it taken?

Thanks, Gekko!

When I got up yesterday morning there was a lot of condensation on my sliding glass door, I looked at how it was reflecting in the glass of my cocktail table and picked up the camera....

I tried a different lens first, decided that didn't give me quite what I wanted, so slipped the 28-70mm f/2.8 lens on the camera for more flexibility in terms of being able to zoom if I needed and for a wider-open aperture.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
PlaceofDis said:
nice shot, reminds me of the Wilco album cover for "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot"
and they are some of the oddest buildings.
i love this city. :)

I too love Chicago. Wish I could pass up on the economic safety of DC. When I visited you and Lee back in October I saw a few condos on the North Side that I could actually afford (well under $150K) with a view of the lake.

AvSRoCkCO1067

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2005
CO
"Bad Kitty"

"Bad Kitty" : Littleton CO : July 16, 2006

DSC_0599.jpg

Camera : Nikon D50
Aperture : f5.3
Shutter : 1/100
Focal Length : 42mm
ISO : 400

As always, I look forward to your recommendations/advice!

iGary

Original poster
May 26, 2004
Randy's House
AvSRoCkCO1067 said:
"Bad Kitty" : Littleton CO : July 16, 2006

DSC_0599.jpg

Camera : Nikon D50
Aperture : f5.3
Shutter : 1/100
Focal Length : 42mm
ISO : 400

As always, I look forward to your recommendations/advice!

Me likey.

It looks like your focus point is a little to the left of center on the cat's face, and unless my monitor is bad, you are missing some shadow detail in the blacks (and I'm one to talk, see my image above), but it still is interesting to look at. :)

AvSRoCkCO1067

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2005
CO
iGary said:
Me likey.

It looks like your focus point is a little to the left of center on the cat's face, and unless my monitor is bad, you are missing some shadow detail in the blacks (and I'm one to talk, see my image above), but it still is interesting to look at. :)

Thanks - I see what you mean about the focus (to fix that, do I just pick a manual focus point...I have the Nikon D50, for anyone who knows...:confused: )

What is 'shadow detail'? :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.