Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

peterparker

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2005
Houston
Central Market, Houston TX, 5/29/2005

Camera: Nikon D50
Exposure: 30 sec
Aperture: f/22
Focal Length: 18 mm
ISO: 200

156097431_ee5f8c0f72.jpg

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
iGary said:
You, stop making me pout. ;) :eek:

Sorry about that. :(

As the many pictures I have posted from that day have shown, it was very emotional. Myself included.

I was moved by the dedication of this Marine. It was like 90 degrees on Sunday. Also some may not have caught the symbolism behind the helmet and boots; paying respect to the almost 2,500 men and women in the US military that gave their lives so far in Iraq. And the many more that have come home with wounds from that war.

One does not have to support a war, but we should try to support our troops. And remember their sacrifices.

tonyeck said:
Great Shot mate... Shame I couldn't make it to DC on memorial day... Last year was really great, my first memorial day too

Thanks there guy. You should catch some of my other images in these galleries (and contribute some of your older images too):

Rolling Thunder: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/204731/

WWII Memorial: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/204803/

Vietnam Memorial: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/204931/

I am not sure that many Americans understand the history of Memorial Day. This site provides some good background (http://www.usmemorialday.org/backgrnd.html).

I tend to agree that making three day holidays out of our Federal Holidays has diluted the meaning of these days of remembrance. Shame that profit motives get in the way.

Sorry for the mini-rant.

cookie1105

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2006
London, UK
pdpfilms said:
Image Name: Stalking Leopard
Date: April 27, 2006
Camera: Nikon D2x
Lens: 70-200mm f/2.8 VR
Aperture/Shutter: 2.8, 1/320
ISO: 400

WOW!! I spent some time growing up outside of the Kruger Park. I love the pic. This gets my vote for POTD.

tonyeck

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2004
Las Vegas, NV
Chip NoVaMac said:
Sorry about that. :(

As the many pictures I have posted from that day have shown, it was very emotional. Myself included.

I was moved by the dedication of this Marine. It was like 90 degrees on Sunday. Also some may not have caught the symbolism behind the helmet and boots; paying respect to the almost 2,500 men and women in the US military that gave their lives so far in Iraq. And the many more that have come home with wounds from that war.

One does not have to support a war, but we should try to support our troops. And remember their sacrifices.

I am not sure that many Americans understand the history of Memorial Day. This site provides some good background (http://www.usmemorialday.org/backgrnd.html).

I tend to agree that making three day holidays out of our Federal Holidays has diluted the meaning of these days of remembrance. Shame that profit motives get in the way.

Sorry for the mini-rant.

Well said :) I do admire the American Patriotic attitude especially on rememberance days such as Memorial day. Makes me miss home. My girlfriend and I did stop off in DC Late last night to pay our respects. Shame I missed the day...

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
tonyeck said:
Well said :) I do admire the American Patriotic attitude especially on rememberance days such as Memorial day. Makes me miss home. My girlfriend and I did stop off in DC Late last night to pay our respects. Shame I missed the day...

Thanks.

That "patriotic attitude" is shared by a small segment of the population IMO. While at the Vietnam Memorial they played taps. I knew immediately that I needed to remove my hat and face the trumpeter (thanks Dad for lessons well taught :) ), others needed to be reminded.

BTW, the water left at the feet of the Marine was left by a rider. A couple hours later that Marine was still standing there, and the bottle unopened. Also a number of riders stopped and saluted.

OT: When does the UK do a similar remembrance? On my brief visit to London in February, I was moved by the references to the scars left behind by the bombings during WWII.

cookie1105

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2006
London, UK
Chip NoVaMac said:
OT: When does the UK do a similar remembrance? On my brief visit to London in February, I was moved by the references to the scars left behind by the bombings during WWII.

The Sunday closest to November 11th. To mark the cessation of hostilities in WW I on the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month 1918.

It is known as remebrance sunday or poppy day.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
cookie1105 said:
The Sunday closest to November 11th. To mark the cessation of hostilities in WW I on the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month 1918.

It is known as remebrance sunday or poppy day.

Thanks for the heads up here on in the 50mm thread.

I wonder if the "11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month" has much meaning worldwide? The reason I ask is that I think that this would be a great photo thread for most of us around the globe.

I am game, are you?:)

Silentwave

macrumors 68000
May 26, 2006
Abstract said:
I'm sorry, but what the heck is it? :confused: I'm just curious. Do you have any photos of the entire thing that you wouldn't mind sharing? Hopefully, people will understand and it won't go against your "1 post per day" here in this thread. ;)

As I said in my original post it is a plant at the fairchild tropical botanic gardens here in Miami, and I provided a link for more info to their site about it.

Here are links to some pictures of the whole thing. I won't embed it because of the 1 pic per day limit. I shot it while it was starting to open.
Click Here

And here.

Moshiiii

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2006
Sarasota, FL
FrankieTDouglas said:
Camera: Nikon d70s
Focal Length: 34mm
Shutter/Aperture: 1/160 @ f4.5
Lens: 18-70 mm Nikon DX

My nephew and niece, Friday, May 26, 2006, in West Monroe, Louisiana

sibling.jpg

Sooooo, your niece... Is she single?

Applespider

macrumors G4
Chip NoVaMac said:
I wonder if the "11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month" has much meaning worldwide? The reason I ask is that I think that this would be a great photo thread for most of us around the globe.

It's certainly remembered across most of Europe and much of the Commonwealth. I'm not sure I'd participate in a photo thread at the 11th hour itself since many people observe a 2 minute silence at 1100 and it would seem slightly inappropriate to be taking photographs. The 'aftermath' though might be interesting - last year, a flight of wartime planes flew over London (might have been on VE day rather than Armistice Day) and dropped hundreds of thousands of poppy petals... Definitely a sight to behold.

tonyeck

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2004
Las Vegas, NV
Clix Pix said:
"Dancing in the Streets" Memorial Day Parade, Falls Church, VA 05/29/06
Camera: Nikon D200
Focal length: 60mm
Shutter/Aperture: 1/350 @ f/8
Lens: 18-200mm VR

72426347-L.jpg

Argh! Someone from Falls Church!!!

Great picture! Where abouts was it in Falls Church?

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
tonyeck said:
Great picture! Where abouts was it in Falls Church?
I'd wager a guess that she took that photo at the intersection of N. Virginia Avenue and Park Avenue. :p

And Clix Pix, I love the photo. The woman w/ the red skirt looks like she's having a blast! (And I want a skirt that poofs up when I twirl :p)

tonyeck

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2004
Las Vegas, NV
devilot said:
I'd wager a guess that she took that photo at the intersection of N. Virginia Avenue and Park Avenue. :p

And Clix Pix, I love the photo. The woman w/ the red skirt looks like she's having a blast! (And I want a skirt that poofs up when I twirl :p)

Haha i figured too, just not that familiar with the area (from the UK. only moved a while ago) so was wondering where abouts that was ;)

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Yep, right you are -- intersection of Park Avenue and N. Virginia Avenue! To put it into more perspective, Park Avenue runs one block parallel to the main drag, which is Rte 7, Broad Street. The City Hall and other governmental facilities are on Park Avenue about a block and a half down and the public library, which is on the corner of N. VA and Park, was at my back, behind me. To put this into even more perspective, if you are on Rte 7/Broad Street heading west, in a couple of miles you will arrive at Tyson's Center Shopping Mall, which is where the Apple store lives.

So, Tony, are you now a resident in the DC area, more specifically in Northern Virginia? Welcome!

Devilot: Thanks! Whew, it was beastly hot, 92 degrees, and yet those folks just kept right on dancin'! They didn't dance the whole parade route, though, only when the parade temporarily paused.

More of my parade photos can be seen in Chip's weekend thread....

neocell

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2005
Great White North
There's some pretty amazing pics here. It's great to look through, and I like the idea of one a day (it may indeed be the greatest), keeps me coming back (still waiting for the kangas though:( )
This is a pic that I really like. It's kind of old though, so I'll put down what my single synapse can tell me:

Somewhere in the Northern Territory, Aus; either Dec '96 or Jan '97; shot with a $30 Kodak 35mm.

We were cooking along at ~150km in a firefly (thought that the black circle with a line through it meant unlimited speed limit, later found out that I was wrong) and just had to stop and get a couple of pics of this.

Attachments

• Picture 3.jpg
    Picture 3.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 222

iGary

Original poster
May 26, 2004
Randy's House
neocell said:
There's some pretty amazing pics here. It's great to look through, and I like the idea of one a day (it may indeed be the greatest), keeps me coming back (still waiting for the kangas though:( )
This is a pic that I really like. It's kind of old though, so I'll put down what my single synapse can tell me:

Somewhere in the Northern Territory, Aus; either Dec '96 or Jan '97; shot with a $30 Kodak 35mm.

That is beautiful, neocell - the colors are spectacular.

idkfa

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2006
Canada
It looks better bigger, but I can't seem to figure out how... Help?

Name: n/a

May 2005
Hitler's Kehlsteinhaus (Tea House)
1834 m above sea level
Outside of Berchtesgaden, Germany. Near Ober Salzburg.

(View from Band of Brothers Finale)

Camera: Crappy Canon (?) Digital Camera

3caa871b.jpg

neocell

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2005
Great White North
iGary said:
That is beautiful, neocell - the colors are spectacular.
All due to the developer. No photoshoping or anything. Of the 6 or so taken with two crap cameras I liked the colours of this one the best. Crazy thing is, that was the way it actually was when we were there. We took the pics and thought "there's no way it's going to come out looking like this", but alas it did. :)
Glad you like

tonyeck

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2004
Las Vegas, NV
Clix Pix said:
Yep, right you are -- intersection of Park Avenue and N. Virginia Avenue! To put it into more perspective, Park Avenue runs one block parallel to the main drag, which is Rte 7, Broad Street. The City Hall and other governmental facilities are on Park Avenue about a block and a half down and the public library, which is on the corner of N. VA and Park, was at my back, behind me. To put this into even more perspective, if you are on Rte 7/Broad Street heading west, in a couple of miles you will arrive at Tyson's Center Shopping Mall, which is where the Apple store lives.

So, Tony, are you now a resident in the DC area, more specifically in Northern Virginia? Welcome!

Devilot: Thanks! Whew, it was beastly hot, 92 degrees, and yet those folks just kept right on dancin'! They didn't dance the whole parade route, though, only when the parade temporarily paused.

More of my parade photos can be seen in Chip's weekend thread....

I live near rt 50 and annandale rd. I work on Broad Street in Falls Church city, near CVS at a graphic design frim :)

Thanks for the welcome. If you ever see a red Ford Mustang GT convertible with a british flag on the back, thats me!

snap58

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2006
somewhere in kansas
Flint Hills

Flint Hills between Cassoday and Emporia, Kansas
IR modified Canon D60
f11
1/160
iso 200
28-70 2.8L

July 4th, 2004

Attachments

• CRW_2861.jpg
    CRW_2861.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 202

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Down the street from my house :D
Shot Today - so it is a Picture Of The Day
Canon 20D
Tokina 12-24mm f 4.0
1/125 Sec
f/9.0
ISO 100 (should have been 200 or even 400 - bleh)
Focal Length 12 mm

Adjusted Highlights in Photoshop to bring out the ground and distort to make the horizontal lines more perpendicular.

D

Attachments

• IMG_7442.jpg
    IMG_7442.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 200
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.