Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
1-Oct-06. The Camel Kid. Agra, India.

Nikon D200
18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 VR
40mm DX (60mm FF)
1/180s @ f/4.5
ISO 400

This kid deserves special mention. I got my first camel ride and some unique photo ops thanks to the uncommonly good "marketing" skills of this boy, who is one of the most precocious kids I've ever met. He even knew how to operate the Nikon D200. He popped up the built-in flash and took several creative shots.

orig.jpg

B

BigMäc

Logs above lake from last ice age, near Dörflingen, CH - 10/08/2006

IMG_3946.jpg

Camera: Canon EOS 30D
ISO: 250
Shutter/Aperture: 1/60 @ f1.8
Lens: EF 50 mm f1.8 II

The water in the last picture is on a muddy road leading into the background.

Frank (Atlanta)

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2004
VictorM said:
d70s_01143.jpg

Toronto, Canada
September 23, 2006

NIKON D70s
Nikkor 85mm f1.4D
1/400 sec @ f2.8 @ ISO 200
No Flash, Center Weighted Average Metering

Victor -

Great photo! How are you liking the 85/1.4? Great bokeh, from what I see...

By the way, is "Hogtown" a nickname for Toronto? I ask, because I grew-up in a city nicknamed Hogtown...

Thx,
Frank

VictorM

Sep 12, 2006
hogtown
Frank (Atlanta) said:
Victor -

Great photo! How are you liking the 85/1.4? Great bokeh, from what I see...

By the way, is "Hogtown" a nickname for Toronto? I ask, because I grew-up in a city nicknamed Hogtown...

Thx,
Frank

Thanks Frank. Hogtown is a nickname for Toronto. There are few stories about how it got this name - my favourite is that it arose from a bylaw (many years ago!) imposing a 10-cent-a-pig fine on anyone allowing pigs to run in the streets. I'm not sure if this is urban myth though :p

A more likely explanation is that it's because Toronto was once home to one of the largest pork processing plants in North America (1860's). It was operated by the old William Davies Company (eventually became Canada Packers / Maple Leaf Foods) and I think that a lot of the product was exported to the UK.

About the lens - yeah the 85/1.4 is a joy to use. It can really bite you at the large apertures if you are not paying attention (shallow depth of field). But that's what i love about it, you have to "think" about what you're doing :)

BudhaNl

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2006
The Netherlands
Being in the right place...

The joy of satnav'ing you way through England, it brings you to places you weren't likely to be :D. (BTW, fairly close there was another road called 'Dead man's lane'. I am not sure whether there's a connection between the two :rolleyes:

August 22, 2006, somewhere in England close to Rye
1/80 at f4.0
+0.3 EV
Built-in camera flash
ISO 100
Lens 18.1 mm

I should probably work on it to remove the flash you see in the bottom right of the sign. Some day... Only iPhoto at the moment.

Attachments

• Roadsign.jpg
    Roadsign.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 91

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
VictorM said:
Thanks Frank. Hogtown is a nickname for Toronto. There are few stories about how it got this name - my favourite is that it arose from a bylaw (many years ago!) imposing a 10-cent-a-pig fine on anyone allowing pigs to run in the streets. I'm not sure if this is urban myth though :p

Damn, I didn't know that one, and I'm from there as well. ;)

Hogtown.....Centre of the Universe.....the T-dot........T.O. (so it sounds like "Tea Oh")........The Big Smoke.........Hollywood North...........all these names refer to Toronto. :)

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
30-Sep-06. Taj Up Close and Personal.

Nikon D200
Tokina 12-24mm f/4
12mm DX (18mm FF)
1/350s @ f/10
ISO 125

orig.jpg

freebooter

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
Daegu, South Korea
BudhaNl said:
The joy of satnav'ing you way through England, it brings you to places you weren't likely to be :D. (BTW, fairly close there was another road called 'Dead man's lane'. I am not sure whether there's a connection between the two :rolleyes:

August 22, 2006, somewhere in England close to Rye
1/80 at f4.0
+0.3 EV
Built-in camera flash
ISO 100
Lens 18.1 mm

I should probably work on it to remove the flash you see in the bottom right of the sign. Some day... Only iPhoto at the moment.

Magnificent! I love this kind of thing. Don't worry about that flash flare; I doubt most people would've noticed it if you hadn't have mentioned it.

freebooter

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
Daegu, South Korea
Buddy, and the Other Guy

IMG_0170.jpg

Daegu, South Korea
October 7, 2006
Canon A640
1/60@f/3.5
iso 80
cropped a bit and Nik Sunshine filter applied

Taken on a Sunday on the promenade that encircles a popular urban lake. I always wonder how do such small-time merchants make a go of it. In any case, I found the back lighting and the friendship interesting,

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
^^I don't know if it's because you're in Korea, which is different from where I am, but I think you take some of the most interesting photographs here. There's just something to them. Anyway, nice work. I like how bright and saturated the colours in the photo appear. Feels dreamy. :)

ksz said:
30-Sep-06. Taj Up Close and Personal.

Nikon D200
Tokina 12-24mm f/4
12mm DX (18mm FF)
1/350s @ f/10
ISO 125

orig.jpg

Very well exposed. Almost looks perfect......like ones created through HDR, except this one was probably just your good work. ;)

Anyway, here's another "bug" photo I took 2 days ago with my Nikon D50 at the same Botanic gardens as before. :) I have lots of bee photos, but here's one of a flying insect that is very very small in comparison and moved in very strange patterns. I had to get lucky since it was manual focus all the way with this one, and this guy was moving fast! He fly, then stop instantly and hover in the same position without moving at all, and then dart off somewhere else and stop again. He also flew rather linearly rather than like a fly.

Attachments

• flying.jpg
    flying.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 76

VictorM

Sep 12, 2006
hogtown
going home II

d70s_01713.jpg

Streetcar travelling down Queen Street, Toronto, Canada
October 5, 2006

NIKON D70s
Nikkor 85mm f1.4D
2 sec @ f11 @ ISO 200

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
jimmer116 said:
Wow...I don't know exactly what it is about that, but it's amazing. I really, really like the sky and the Taj in the background. It's almost unreal.
Thanks jimmer116 and sorry for my tardiness. I didn't see your comment until now. :)

Abstract said:
Very well exposed. Almost looks perfect......like ones created through HDR, except this one was probably just your good work. ;)
Abstract: Thanks. I took only a handful of shots with the Tokina 12-24. This one was slightly post-processed to improve the contrast. I used the Tokina much less than I expected to and felt a bit guilty so I just forced myself to find something to shoot with that lens. I'll post another 12mm shot tomorrow...nothing fancy, but hopefully an angle less commonly seen.

freebooter

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
Daegu, South Korea
Thanks Abstract and ksz; I've been enjoying your photos a lot, too.

"I don't know if it's because you're in Korea, which is different from where I am, but..."
As to that, yes, novelty elicits interest. A new country has a lot of differences to be highlighted in pictures. Also, visual perception has been a one of my interests and a part of my work for some time, so I habitually look for interesting sights.

VictorM: your last B&W street scene looks great--very clean and crisp.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
I'm cheating by 1 minute where I live (it's 11:59 pm).

The photo is of some flowers from the same botanic gardens I went to 3 days ago. :) I could totally overload you with bees, but I decided not to post 3 "bug" photos in a row.

Attachments

• Flowers.jpg
    Flowers.jpg
    229.2 KB · Views: 61

freebooter

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
Daegu, South Korea
Typhoon Trail

Typhoontrail3copy.jpg

Daegu, South Korea
July 10, 2006
Pentax W10
f3.3@1/20
iso 200
multi-shot panorama

This is an image of one of the trails I run on. 362 days a year it is not a stream. But, being at the base of a mountain, when a typhoon dumps its load, it turns into a very wet, very fantastic place to start a run. I will always remember that day. It rained very hard and the wind was terrific at the top of the mountain.

Mike Teezie

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2002
Taken October 7th in West Monroe, LA. Down in the Historic District.

glass.jpg

Camera Model: Canon EOS 5D
Exposure Time: 1/800 sec
Aperture: f/1.4
ISO Speed Rating: 50
Focal Length: 50.00 mm
White Balance: Daylight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.