Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Seems to be a direct response to the 10% and 17% YoY revenue decline in iPhone and iPad revenues from last quarter.

After Apple pushes out OLED to iPad Pro, what else is left in the innovation tank other than foldable?

For iPhone, foldables are inevitable. Without it, Apple will face continued revenue declines.

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014
I’m assuming this will be like almost all substantial rumors: a jump-the-gun prediction for article clicks that is simply pushed back year-after-year due to “delays” until it finally happens 🙄

We all know by now that “2025 and 2026” in Apple rumors language actually means “2028 and 2029”…

hutleytj

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2011
This is not the way to go. I do not see a foldable iPhone or iPad being a success. I think it is the wrong path forward. I just cannot imagine a need for one.

• Disagree
Reactions: topmounter

Marbles1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2011
I’d buy a foldable iPhone. An optional bigger screen would be great. It works well enough on Samsung phones, and Apple will perfect the technology or use a more premium option.

So long as it lasts the lifespan of a phone eg 3 years I’m sold.

Having an iphone I can open up and double the screen size horizontally would be great for YouTube, TV or working on long form emails or documents.

Reactions: cjgrif

Spooner83

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2011
Happy for anyone who's energetic for this but I have no interest in a foldable phone. The current iPhone format is perfect, although it's subjective to say that. It would be more wise for Apple to focus on fixing all the bugs that are riddling their devices before they introduce a new product but hey, that's just my opinion.

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
“The company is expected to release a large-screen foldable iPad or MacBook to kick-off its foray into the product category…”

Hold on, is not MacBook already a foldable? How else could it possibly fold?

Isengardtom

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2009
For now not interested in foldable Phones. Some friends of mine have one and while the first year everything is fine, it starts to crack fairly soon

Reactions: Victor Mortimer

Mikep976

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2017
Washington
I’m sure people will look at this with an open mind, see that even if it’s not for them, it’s cool tech, and know that Apple will not force them to purchase a foldable if it doesn’t work for them, but it may for others.

Opens comments.

Welp, guess not. According to the comments, Apple adding a foldable will cause the world to implode, steal their first born and cause the world to heat up to a temperature that cannot sustain life while also causing all water to dry up and fish to sprout legs and eat us all.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Here's a thought, how about a TB4 based folding Apple 4 1/2k or 5K display for mobile users or people that do presentations on the road frequently, something light and can fit inside a briefcase? 🧐

• Angry
Reactions: Victor Mortimer

Little Endian

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2003
Honolulu
If Apple can get foldable right and with improved durability I am all for it. My opinion on foldable has changes since getting a Motorola Razr 2023. I think flip style foldable phones have a place. I am getting sick of ever growing candy bar slab phones. I have an iPhone 14 Pro and find that a bit too large for my tastes. I find the news of future pro and max phones getting even larger disconcerting. I was looking to buy a discontinued iPhone 13 mini as a second phone but the prices on them are still very high.

Found a new in box Motorola Razr 2023 flip for only $350 on eBay and put it on a Boost Mobile plan that is virtually free. Had it for 3 months and so far so good. I hope it will last a couple of years especially since it’s a backup phone that gets used lightly. For the price it’s a pretty cool phone and I am glad I purchased it over an iphone mini. It’s nice to see how the other half of the mobile world lives. I still prefer iOS for security and reliability but their is so much more flex-ability with Android OS and hardware.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.