Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Neodym

macrumors 68020
Jul 5, 2002
For now not interested in foldable Phones. Some friends of mine have one and while the first year everything is fine, it starts to crack fairly soon
New business model: You can only lease those iPhone Fold's for 12 months and update to a new version before cracks and wrinkles become visible.

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
We removed mechanical hard drives, fans, cd roms….

Oh dear… its far too robust

Lets put a hinge in the middle of the display 🤪

I joke… but its funny that companies moved to remove as many weak and fragile parts as possible in the name of progress and reliability… and then go and put a hinge in the screen 🤪

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
Each year they can claim the screen is an improvement over last years model, specifically yours… as its got no cracks and creases 🤨🤔😂

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
Bet they have a team testing these folding screens to their limits…

Wonder what number of open closes they will be aiming for…

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Ick.

Too many compromises required for a foldable screen with very little payoff. For me, quality and fidelity are the most important aspects of a screen, both of which need to be sacrificed to some degree for a foldable. I have zero interest in having a seam, crease, bend, line, or anything else in the middle of my screen.

return2sendai

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2018
Well, a foldable Mac would be very niche, and unless macOS gets a touchscreen feature - what’s the point?
A foldable iPad? Very niche but probably useful for some.
iPhone is where it needs to come, the slabs aren’t going to drive growth, even with AI
Aren’t all MacBooks foldable already?

jmgregory1

macrumors 68040
Ick.

Too many compromises required for a foldable screen with very little payoff. For me, quality and fidelity are the most important aspects of a screen, both of which need to be sacrificed to some degree for a foldable. I have zero interest in having a seam, crease, bend, line, or anything else in the middle of my screen.
I don’t think the problem with a folding screen is fidelity or quality. The OLED performance isn’t the issue, imho. The problem is the soft / non-rigid screen. Maybe people get used to the not perfectly flat panel, but I just can’t imagine going back to a screen like my first gen iPaq (the HP iPaq). I’d rather see two separate glass panels that meet cleanly in the middle vs the ultra-thin, film covered, glass used on the current foldables.

AlexJaye

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2010
This would convince me to update my 14 Pro.

The folding Samsung phone is actually pretty nice, and the extra screen space it gives when trying to look things up is helpful.

Old Apple would take the existing design and make it look nice - idk if New Apple still has that ability.

topmounter

macrumors 68030
Jun 18, 2009
FEMA Region VIII
If Apple can get foldable right and with improved durability I am all for it. My opinion on foldable has changes since getting a Motorola Razr 2023. I think flip style foldable phones have a place. I am getting sick of ever growing candy bar slab phones. I have an iPhone 14 Pro and find that a bit too large for my tastes. I find the news of future pro and max phones getting even larger disconcerting. I was looking to buy a discontinued iPhone 13 mini as a second phone but the prices on them are still very high.

Found a new in box Motorola Razr 2023 flip for only $350 on eBay and put it on a Boost Mobile plan that is virtually free. Had it for 3 months and so far so good. I hope it will last a couple of years especially since it’s a backup phone that gets used lightly. For the price it’s a pretty cool phone and I am glad I purchased it over an iphone mini. It’s nice to see how the other half of the mobile world lives. I still prefer iOS for security and reliability but there is so much more flex-ability with Android OS and hardware.
My personal / daily phone is a Flip5 and I love the form factor. It fits nicely in a front pocket and is very unobtrusive.

Screen addicts that are constantly fiddling with their phone will still prefer slab phones.

Circa1984

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2013
Sammy must have worked out the kinks … literally, now it’s time for Apple to do what it does best, create demand for the category… and a new market

SoldOnApple

macrumors 65816
Jul 20, 2011
Nope. Screens that fold are screens that crack and break.
While Samsung and others have been releasing Foldables as soon as they could, Apple has been putting money into R&D into materials and technologies to do it right the first time. Will the first time be next year, who knows. But Apple has had a lot of time to study this so who knows. Apple don't publish their research so it's anyone's guess where they are at. Even if Apple has "cracked" it, they still need to wait until they can mass produce it. No point having the perfect foldable design if each one would cost $10,000 to make.

Poot Windbreaker

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2023
Tim “Tim Apple” Apple: “You just take your fingernail, and draw right on the screen! It’s like magic! It just works!”
Reporter: “How do you remove those marks?”
Tim “Tim Apple” Apple: “You just buy a new one…like magic!”

• Haha
Reactions: gusmula and xbjllb

klky

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2015
While I have no interest in a foldable personally, I am interested to see Apple's attempt at one.

JimmyHook

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2015
Apple has patents for self-healing creases in foldables. If they can pull off a device that has none of the issues I’ve seen in EVERY other foldable, then it would sell very well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.