Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Thrilled for the future folding iPhone. It is something that I've wanted for many years now. My guess is that we see it in 2026.

Same here. I just disregard the FUD, you can see how much the crease has decreased to be virtually non-existent in the new OnePlus, give it another couple of years and Apple pushing for it and I'm sure the crease will be 100% gone. They are now virtually as thin when folded and light as a flagship Pro Max. There are no repair/breaking issues, or at least no one has the data to prove it, and you aren't seeing the news reporting on an epidemic of breaking screens. I'm super pumped to see what Apple comes up with.

TJ82

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Don't know anyone that's fallen in love with a foldable yet.

Really would need to see some super interesting use-case before even remotely finding an iota of interest. No clue what that could be to be honest. Love new toys but they have to have a purpose given the cost.

I have an iPhone, iPad and MacBook Air. (Studio too).

I don't see a foldable replacing two of those first 3. The form factor would be awful if it even tried..

Only foldable that makes sense for me personally is a portable screen for work. Use an LG Gram when travelling and would love it if it could someone fold into a larger size. It's a bit cramped for spreadsheet work. That said, I rarely need it. Two/three times a year max.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Don't know anyone that's fallen in love with a foldable yet.

Really would need to see some super interesting use-case before even remotely finding an iota of interest. No clue what that could be to be honest. Love new toys but they have to have a purpose given the cost.

I have an iPhone, iPad and MacBook Air. (Studio too).

I don't see a foldable replacing two of those first 3. The form factor would be awful if it even tried..

Nice to meet you, I have fallen in love with foldables, now you know someone. Use case: take an iPad mini, shove it into your front pants pocket, and walk/sit around all day using that as your phone/primary device, simple.

Although many say the opposite, personally I kind of agree with a folding full size iPad and Macbook not being the most useful of the three scenarios, after all I'm almost definitely carrying some sort of bag for those anyway. It's the ability to pocket one that is the most compelling for me, so I'm definitely first in line for a folding iPhone.

NastyMatt

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2020
I have played with a friend’s foldable phone and really liked the increased real estate. I could be tempted once the screen crease is solved (and durability improved a lot).

It has to be relatively thin and light tho. Sort of defeats the objective if it’s not.

• Haha
Reactions: Victor Mortimer

TJ82

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Nice to meet you, I have fallen in love with foldables, now you know someone. Use case: take an iPad mini, shove it into your front pants pocket, and walk/sit around all day using that as your phone/primary device, simple.

Although many say the opposite, personally I kind of agree with a folding full size iPad and Macbook not being the most useful of the three scenarios, after all I'm almost definitely carrying some sort of bag for those anyway. It's the ability to pocket one that is the most compelling for me, so I'm definitely first in line for a folding iPhone.

What foldable have you got at the moment?

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
Feels like it’s actually “First Foldables Coming in 2025 with more to ship in 2026.” Since the first ones couldn’t ship after the first ones have shipped.

It was worded similar to “He was born in 1920, 1922 and again, finally, in 1927”

poematik13

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2014
A hinge completely violates the entire design ethos of an iphone lol. The point is for it to be one magical slab that displays content as needed.

Also, how do you make a foldable screen without a crease down the middle from repeated use?

Victor Mortimer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2016
I have played with a friend’s foldable phone and really liked the increased real estate. I could be tempted once the screen crease is solved (and durability improved a lot).

It has to be relatively thin and light tho. Sort of defeats the objective if it’s not.

The screen crease problem will NEVER be solved unless somebody invents flexible glass. And that's probably impossible. We're talking about a major breakthrough in materials science, and it's almost certainly never going to happen.

Foldable screens are just a bad idea with current and foreseeable materials.

• Haha
Reactions: Daws

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
What foldable have you got at the moment?

I have a Z Fold 5, just waiting for the Z6 but if rumors are true I'll probably switch to the OnePlus Open. I've been using these as a daily driver since the Z Fold 2.

dba415

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2011
Yawn, whatever new feature Android comes up with, apple is like 5 years late. Wonder what cool new features that are on Samsung's phone today, will Apple have in 2029? I am guessing the GenAI stuff.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.