Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
Do you mean Xbox Series X games themselves? Xbox has a developer mode where you are even able to pirate 360 games last I heard and has access to Retroarch as well.

I have a Xbox Series X because you cannot game on Mac obviously. And if you tell you can pirate games on the Xbox Series X, that is the first time I have ever heard about this.

NickTuesday

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2012
I have a Xbox Series X because you cannot game on Mac obviously. And if you tell you can pirate games on the Xbox Series X, that is the first time I have ever heard about this.
There was a big controversy recently, you used to be able to download all sorts of emulators for free for the Xbox Series systems without dev mode. Dev mode is something you pay MS 20 bucks to access. MS shut down the free access to emulators, but you can still buy access to Dev mode and use emulators to your hearts content. It involves rebooting your Series console into dev mode and being out of the Series OS. Speculation is that Nintendo put the heat on Microsoft to shut it down. Not sure why its perfectly okay in dev mode however.

Last edited:

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
You can’t purchase them as of the Switch. The only legal way to play Super Mario Bros (NES, 1985) on modern hardware (and by that I mean the 7+ year-old Switch) is to pay Nintendo $4/month or $20/year (which also gets you SNES and Gameboy. I pay for the higher tier which includes N64, GBA, and Genesis, but I almost never use it. It’s nearly always more convenient and a better experience play on emulators.

So true. We have a Nintendo Switch Online family sub for cloud saving but I always play my NES/SNES games via emulator anyway.

toobravetosave

Suspended
Sep 23, 2021
although it will likely never happen due to the regulatory capture on copyright laws

copyright laws are literally a legal fiction with rules and understandings that change over time

the law decided nintendo or disney “owns” something forever but it could also decide that after 20 years a piece of media is public domain

stop invoking copyright law as a god given right and ownership it’s a man made fantasy we can change lol

Reactions: turbineseaplane
Dec 4, 2022
The PS3 Slim is the king of all consoles and when you patch it you can rip all your PS1, PS2 and PS3 games that you own and transfer them with USB to your Mac to play on an emulator. Just don’t share the roms. They are yours for your use.

Reactions: toobravetosave

Populus

macrumors 603
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Yes it is.
Thousands of setting options. Confusing and complicated. I have not yet managed to start any Rom on the AppleTV. I'd rather wait for RecalBox. At least they have a friendly user interface.
On my Mac I used to have OpenEmu to run old games. It would be nice to have it on my iPad Pro.

Populus

macrumors 603
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
The PS3 Slim is the king of all consoles and when you patch it you can rip all your PS1, PS2 and PS3 games that you own and transfer them with USB to your Mac to play on an emulator. Just don’t share the roms. They are yours for your use.
I actually have one, a PS3 Slim, although it has been on a drawer for years. I would like to start using it again, but I’d like to get a cable that upscales the output image to 4K, if that exists.

toobravetosave

Suspended
Sep 23, 2021
There was a big controversy recently, you used to be able to download all sorts of emulators for free for the Xbox Series systems without dev mode. Dev mode is something you pay MS 20 bucks to access. MS shut down the free access to emulators, but you can still buy access to Dev mode and use emulators to your hearts content. It involves rebooting your Series console into dev mode and being out of the Series OS. Speculation is that Nintendo put the heat on Microsoft to shut it down. Not sure why its perfectly okay in dev mode however.

it should be perfectly ok in retail mode too tbh since these are often legal open source pieces of software but microsoft did indeed cave to such pressure

it’s ok in dev mode still because it’s paywalled and significantly less people will bother but it should be ok period just like it is on our computers

Dec 4, 2022
I actually have one, a PS3 Slim, although it has been on a drawer for years. I would like to start using it again, but I’d like to get a cable that upscales the output image to 4K, if that exists.

Any 4K TV will upscale it over HDMI. The image is sharp as it is only 2X scaling in each direction.

Dec 4, 2022
although it will likely never happen due to the regulatory capture on copyright laws

copyright laws are literally a legal fiction with rules and understandings that change over time

the law decided nintendo or disney “owns” something forever but it could also decide that after 20 years a piece of media is public domain

There is a misunderstanding.

Books and games can enter public domain after a while if the author is deceased and the property has not changed hands. Sometimes a family estate continues to hold rights.

Trademarks can be owned forever. They just have keep paying every 10 years or so.

Sophisticatednut

macrumors 68020
May 2, 2021
Scandinavia
Please, you didn't copy it from your Gameboy cartridge to your iPhone, but downloaded an illegal ROM from an illegal website.
How do you think the ROM was copied from the Nintendo cartridge to the computer in the first place?

You might own any of multiple Cartridge Readers/ dumpers you can buy online to copy your existing games.

And that’s up to Nintendo to prove that the person in question didn’t have a legitimate copy of the ROM.

Attachments

• IMG_4980.jpeg
    IMG_4980.jpeg
    682.1 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_4979.jpeg
    IMG_4979.jpeg
    318.5 KB · Views: 21

toobravetosave

Suspended
Sep 23, 2021
How do you think the ROM was copied from the Nintendo cartridge to the computer in the first place?

You might own any of multiple Cartridge Readers/ dumpers you can buy online to copy your existing games.

And that’s up to Nintendo to prove that the person in question didn’t have a legitimate copy of the ROM.

i wonder if they think nintendo should just be able to make it illegal to play their games after 10 years without repurchasing

or maybe they work for big rom dump hardware

maybe they just hate seeing other people have fun 🤷‍♀️

toobravetosave

Suspended
Sep 23, 2021
people also continue to forget most of these games aren’t for sale by the ip holder. at all. anywhere.

you either get it from a third party scalper or scammer or there is literally no way to get it

nintendo doesn’t sell ds games anymore lol so i use a flash cart. and yes i play my ds and 3ds still (nintendo closed the digital store btw which i did make purchases on and would have continued to make purchases on)

i would sooooo much rather buy official carts from nintendo because most second hand ones are fakes with roms flashed to them but i can’t. it’s very clear people against this simply do not understand the market conditions of these games

Reactions: Populus

gaximus

macrumors 68020
Oct 11, 2011
They sorta do.

I rebought a bunch of my old PSX games on the PS3. Not sure what's available on the PS5.

As for Nintendo, not sure if you can purchase the games but you get access to some old classics via their subscription service for the Switch.
But that's on their hardware(And I get that), but I don't want to have to use my PS5 to run the games, plus I'm very limited to what they choose, and they go through a ton of testing to make sure its good, so they can sell it at a higher premium. They could make their emulator require a PS5 controller (so you have to buy their hardware, Apple probably wouldn't allow this 🤷‍♂️), or at least encourage it.

gaximus

macrumors 68020
Oct 11, 2011
They won’t do this because the newer generation of gamers will realize, graphics aside, how much better the old games were and how halfarsed they are now with endless micro transactions, woke content, etc. I agree with you completely, though…they’d make a ton of money if they actually just hosted the roms officially and sold them at steep discount.

I personally see nothing wrong with this emulator that’s spoken about in the story above
You're probably right about the reasoning for why they are against, emulators and ROM. I recently bought the "new" Crash Bandicoot series for PS5 with upgraded graphics. It's the exact same game, and it great. I actually forgot how difficult it was to beat as a kid, I've gone soft with how easy games have gotten now.

Reactions: delsoul

gaximus

macrumors 68020
Oct 11, 2011
Nintendo already makes a lot of money by selling a subscription on the Switch that lets you play their old games. They don't want to cannibalize that.
Probably, but that is only games THEY choose. And I'll probably never buy Nintendo hardware again. They lost me as a "serious" gamer, and as a casual gamer, I have emulators, and free roms, for all the games I've bought, that I never had backups for 😁

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
Probably, but that is only games THEY choose. And I'll probably never buy Nintendo hardware again. They lost me as a "serious" gamer, and as a casual gamer, I have emulators, and free roms, for all the games I've bought, that I never had backups for 😁
Just trying to explain why selling ROMs isn’t necessarily the more profitable choice for them.

scorpio vega

Suspended
May 3, 2023
Raleigh, NC
The thing is, we are surrounded by monopolies. If you want something you pay for that, but you can’t just pay for everything. If there were no pirates and piracy, there would never have been fan communities. And fan communities are by definition the best of the existing promotion spaces, copyright owners don’t need to pay a cent for organic engagement. And without organic engagement it is impossible to sell anything.
Not you trying to justify piracy lmao

toobravetosave

Suspended
Sep 23, 2021
Just trying to explain why selling ROMs isn’t necessarily the more profitable choice for them.

if nintendo put a $9.99 sticker on every no-intro rom to add to your nso account they’d sure make more than the 0 dollars im giving them now for the switch sub 🤷‍♀️

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.