Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
if nintendo put a $9.99 sticker on every no-intro rom to add to your nso account they’d sure make more than the 0 dollars im giving them now for the switch sub 🤷‍♀️
Yes, but they’d also lose subscriptions, also on future Nintendo devices. Selling a ROM means selling that game “forever”.

toobravetosave

Suspended
Sep 23, 2021
Yes, but they’d also lose subscriptions, also on future Nintendo devices. Selling a ROM means selling that game “forever”.

nintendo sells me plenty of digital games “forever” lol my account is full of them

they choose to lock the limited roms they release behind a revolving subscription to milk consumers and have lost my business as a result

that’s their business prerogative and mine as a free person 🤷‍♀️

• Love
Reactions: mrat93

shadowboi

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2024
Unknown
Not you trying to justify piracy lmao
Well kinda. Without piracy it is impossible to move forward. Piracy was always there, albeit it changed drastically.

I forgot the name but there was one documentary about piracy in 60s and 70s. The movie actors wanted to have their personal copies of their movies and directors were often against it (probably for the same reasons copyright holders are against piracy). And there were a lot of bootleggers who illegally made copies of movie films and then sold them to anyone willing to pay money for that.

Same happened in the ages of VHS, DVD and still happening.

Moreover, if there was no piracy we would have probably not had any new music, movies, games. People who become developers need to get inspiration from somewhere, and it is not always like they have some sum of money to have certain content

Reactions: turbineseaplane

toobravetosave

Suspended
Sep 23, 2021
You don’t actually own what’s in your account, they can discontinue it whenever they want. That would be different if they gave you a ROM binary.

why didnt you quote the rest of my post where I said it would work like all other digital storefronts? they're choosing to operate a different type of storefront for these games (limited revolving game selection tied to monthly subscription) instead of selling us games like literally every digital games storefront does including their own

mrat93

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2006
Nintendo offers a subscription service for playing their older games. You should be paying Nintendo if you want to play your Pokemon games.
For the love of god…

Fun fact: Zero main Pokemon games are on Switch online. It is impossible to purchase any Nintendo game from 10+ years ago in a way that benefits Nintendo or the original copyright holders.

The only Nintendo-approved way to play Pokemon Blue (1996, GameBoy) is to either buy a GameBoy through GameBoy Advance, and the original cartridge. Or, if you have a 3DS, you could have bought it while the store was still active (but now it’s gone).

So, the only realistic way to play Pokemon Blue that YOU own, is to spend $60+ for the game, pre-owned, plus the 20+ year-old hardware. Either could be on their last legs and stop working at anytime.

Or you could just download Delta and the ROM, have a better experience, and be done with it. Either way, the original copyright holders get ZERO dollars — and that’s their choice. If Nintendo wants to reduce piracy, they should offer a service which holds a candle to free alternatives.

So, please spare me with “Nintendo offers a subscription service”. You pay them $20-50/year to rent a sliver of their back catalog from no sooner than 20 years, which you can only play on their devices in ways that are inferior to modern emulation.

It’s like if Disney Plus were to add a tier for only a fraction of their pre-2000 movie catalog, and also stopped all movie rentals and purchases for those movies, so the only way you can watch Peter Pan (1953) in a way that’s blessed by Disney is to pay for their Disney Lite package. Oh, and you can only watch on your disneyPad.

Please, man. Give it a rest.

IMG_0934.jpeg

Last edited:

mrat93

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2006
Not you trying to justify piracy lmao
If it wasn’t for piracy, we’d all be paying $1/song and $10/album still.
No it isn’t legal. 98 percent of the ppl using emulators are doing so illegally. Quite sad really.
It’s amazing how much you care. Nintendo should hire you as their Chief Piracy Officer.

aloysiusfreeman

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2022
This is making me think of my father, the kingpin thief, that would copy shows and film from cable with a blank VHS.

Regbial

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2010
Ok but doesn't the Apple TV (stupidly) auto delete your files randomly? Won't it delete your roms and save files in time? ... I guess maybe we need a few weeks to tell.. really wish Apple would change that.

Dec 4, 2022
Won't somebody think of the poor vintage game dealers?!
Vintage game stores are mostly super cheap unless there is a very rare title. Some people go to Japan for a haul in Akibara the retro video game stores there are huge. They have editions, systems and games unseen elsewhere.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Ok but doesn't the Apple TV (stupidly) auto delete your files randomly? Won't it delete your roms and save files in time? ... I guess maybe we need a few weeks to tell.. really wish Apple would change that.

Yes, it does. I’ve been meaning to buy a 128GB AppleTV 4K for a while now (missed the $99 Costco sale). This would hasten that purchase.

Or maybe not. The family’s on Netflix all the time on the big TV (part of the reason I got a Steam Deck and ROG Ally). Maybe I’ll just play on iPad. A 13” display ain’t bad when it’s just 2-3 feet away.

andreagrandi

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2020
Finally an alternative to Delta, for EU users who don’t want to install a third party App Store.

OddyOh

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2005
Regina, SK, Canada
Anyone else download this only to discover half the menus are not in english?
I had that on my iPhone and Apple TV. Do this to fix it:
"Some users have reported it defaulting to Catalan language. This didn't happen to me, but if it happens to you, click on the gear icon on the right (settings / "Ajustos") and then scroll down to the User ("Usuari") submenu and change the language ("Llengua") to English. We suspect this is Canadians' 'CA' region code being misinterpreted and are looking into a fix."

Regbial

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2010
Yes, it does. I’ve been meaning to buy a 128GB AppleTV 4K for a while now (missed the $99 Costco sale). This would hasten that purchase.

Or maybe not. The family’s on Netflix all the time on the big TV (part of the reason I got a Steam Deck and ROG Ally). Maybe I’ll just play on iPad. A 13” display ain’t bad when it’s just 2-3 feet away.
Yeah but... sometimes even if you have space it deletes them iirc.. has happened to me with files loaded unto VLC at least.

Reactions: rui no onna

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Yeah but... sometimes even if you have space it deletes them iirc.. has happened to me with files loaded unto VLC at least.

Good to know. My AppleTV only has 32GB and is often running out of space so I thought the deletions were just due to low storage.

hans1972

macrumors 68040
Apr 5, 2010
People who download a 20 to 50-year-old game to their iPad because they are curious about it are not thieves. Companies who hoover up literally every shred of other people's work they can find, stick it in a digital blender, pour it into generative AI, and use that to crush and outcompete its legal owners to make even more money when they are already richer than God are thieves.

The people downloading these games are clearly breaking the law in the US and are thus criminals.
Whether AI companies has done something illegal is still to be determined and it isn't obvious they're guilty.

• Haha
Reactions: Burnincoco
Dec 4, 2022
The people downloading these games are clearly breaking the law in the US and are thus criminals.
Whether AI companies has done something illegal is still to be determined and it isn't obvious they're guilty.

AI companies are rich people. They are allowed to steal from anyone and everyone.

mrat93

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2006
???

Those still are about the prices outside subscriptions. It’s a little higher actually.
??? That’s cool. Did I say you can’t purchase music anymore? My point was that there are cheaper options now, and virtual nobody buys individual songs or albums to build their music library.

I don’t know anybody under the age of 96 who purchases music instead of streaming, unless it’s specifically to support the artist or get physical media.

The difference is that (mostly for Nintendo) consumers don’t have the option to purchase any of their back catalog titles.

Now try to download a Namco Lightgun.

Good point. Emulation sucks because it’s difficult to accurately mimic the 0.1% of games which originally required a physical accessory. Physical media or bust!!

Today I learned that me and all of my friends and family members are criminals, because we all pirate to an extent. And a lot of my old school teachers, too!

• Love
Reactions: Sophisticatednut
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.