Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

that be me

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2013
Very grie

Wow. I was going to wait until next year but that sounds incredible. A major upgrade for over 1 generation (the sum of all parts)

Exynos 8895 for me as I'm in Canadaland :D
Maybe not. Canada got the Snapdragon for the ill-fated note 7. It's not totally unreasonable that we'd get Snapdragon again for the newer models.

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
Even better. By industry standards, Samsung could get away with a QHD screen instead of the 4K Display and still get critical acclaim if they implement the changes I want. Their phone was the phone of 2016. But expect a Snapdragon 835 perhaps because the Note 7 had a 820 in Canada. That's what my cousin had in his Note 7 when he visited me here last year.

Yes you're right I forgot about that - the note 7 did ship w a snapdragon here

I'll cross my fingers for exynos haha but honestly if it doesn't pan out that way it won't deter one bit from getting this phone.

S8 sounds incredible from the leaks/rumours
[doublepost=1484631136][/doublepost]
Maybe not. Canada got the Snapdragon for the ill-fated note 7. It's not totally unreasonable that we'd get Snapdragon again for the newer models.

Good call. Hopefully snap 835 is more comparable to exynos 8895 (but regardless this phone is shaping up to be something special)

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
No disrespect to Qualcomm, but I want the Exynos. My Note 7 (820) was smooth but it also had the Grace UI. So an Exynos with an improved new Grace UI on the S8 could only get that much smoother.
Same here.

My S7 Edge Exynos runs beautifully, I am done with Qualcomm based Samsungs

Last edited:

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Someone with good photoshop skills - can you verify if this is legit?

C1fuJ0dWIAAV8cM.jpg

Looks fake but could be a decent representation of what it may roughly be like.

Sevanw

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
More leaks. This time it's the panels of the S8 and S8 Plus. Now THESE, I hope are legit. Love those bezels.
Actually, I'm guessing it's fake. Those curves on the inside corners don't look right. They should be squared off corners on the inside like the Note 7 and S7 Edge.

S8-Screen.png

Last edited:
Reactions: v0lume4

fjd726

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2011
Samsung only making the curved screens is a deal breaker for me. Tried S7 edge and hated it. Hopefully they make both styles.

Reactions: sunking101

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
Yeah I would prefer a flat device also, not only for ergonomics sake but for purchasing decent screen protectors and such.

I hate curved edges...lets hope front is flat.

S8 definitely sounds more appealing than the ip7s.

But Samsung is flirting with making the S8 bigger which I absolutely don't need.

Reactions: nviz22 and MRU

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
I hate curved edges...lets hope front is flat.

S8 definitely sounds more appealing than the ip7s.

But Samsung is flirting with making the S8 bigger which I absolutely don't need.

Wider and thicker than the current iPhone 7 plus.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I have my hopes on the smaller s8. I hope they don't make it too large.

If the S8 Plus is the same size as the Note 7, then I can deal with that. Any bigger and I just might go for the regular S8.

It real depends though, cause the LG V20 is taller than the iPhone 7 plus, and I don't have a size issue with either.

spriter

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2004
If the S8 Plus is the same size as the Note 7, then I can deal with that. Any bigger and I just might go for the regular S8.

It real depends though, cause the LG V20 is taller than the iPhone 7 plus, and I don't have a size issue with either.

I find the size tying goes away after a week. Sure the initial shock is obvious but I always have no trouble adapting. I used to think anything over 70mm wide was a pain. Then went to the Note 5, Pixel XL and now 7 Plus. Include a silicone case and I'm at 81mm and fine with one hand horizontally.

I do agree about preferring traditional edges rather than curves.

kdarling

macrumors P6
More leaks. This time it's the panels of the S8 and S8 Plus. Now THESE, I hope are legit. Love those bezels.
Actually, I'm guessing it's fake. Those curves on the inside corners don't look right. They should be squared off corners on the inside like the Note 7 and S7 Edge.

Those images are of screen protectors for the S8, not parts of the phone itself.

However, if real, they show the lack of a physical home button.

Reactions: Sevanw

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Those images are of screen protectors for the S8, not parts of the phone itself.

However, if real, they show the lack of a physical home button.

I think it's pretty clear the Home button is going.

And I'd be surprised if Apple keep it this year.

Reactions: nviz22

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
Ok so this is going to be my next phone, will get the bigger one. I would like to buy it outright directly from Samsung, how soon do those typically become available.

I pre-ordered the note 7 from Verizon, i am a little weary about pre-ordering another phone but i am sure i will not be able to pass up the SWAG they offer.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Ok so this is going to be my next phone, will get the bigger one. I would like to buy it outright directly from Samsung, how soon do those typically become available.

I pre-ordered the note 7 from Verizon, i am a little weary about pre-ordering another phone but i am sure i will not be able to pass up the SWAG they offer.

In the States, the S7 wasn't offered unlocked for 3 months (I believe?) after the initial release to the carriers.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
In the States, the S7 wasn't offered unlocked for 3 months (I believe?) after the initial release to the carriers.
Ok thanks, just wondering.

Verizon has made my Note 7 unusable as a phone (still works as a small tablet) so I am back to my old 5s. The 5s is ok but it is so small, will be a real challenge holding back from ordering the S8 right away.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
It's will be interesting if all these purported additions to the s8 will work properly right off the bat.

I really hope so for both Samsung and the buyers sake...a lot riding on this.

I won't decide until the end of September what phone to get...so some time to work all the bugs out.

Last edited:

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans

View attachment 684330
The GS8 is rumored to have rounded corners on the display though.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
The S8 will not be announced at MWC this year. Samsung will have their own event, it looks like, later on in March-ish.

On the one hand, I'm glad they're not rushing the S8 and taking measures to ensure the battery is safe. On the other hand, we gotta wait!

(Perfect time for LG or HTC to swoop in if they are smart and ready...)

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
The S8 will not be announced at MWC this year. Samsung will have their own event, it looks like, later on in March-ish.

On the one hand, I'm glad they're not rushing the S8 and taking measures to ensure the battery is safe. On the other hand, we gotta wait!

(Perfect time for LG or HTC to swoop in if they are smart and ready...)

For me personally, LG or HTC is DOA. Next up is S8 and ip8. Currently rocking the Mate 9 and really like it.

Reactions: epicrayban
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.