Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
I will be a bit sad if it's true that the camera isn't getting a significant upgrade. Don't get me wrong, obviously the S7 is excellent but nobody can afford to rest on their laurels.

The DeX thing is interesting, but I think we are still a couple of years away from that being truly useful and it may prove to be a killer feature of future Pixels.

It will definitely be an interesting phone, the S8. I hope Samsung go all out. They have to.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
I think those people were just glad that a device that clearly surpasses the competition by nearly every measure was taken off the market.

Like I said, 2016 was Samsung's year to lose. They did it to themselves with this design flaw. Too bad. 2017 is their opportunity, but it's also a lot of OEM's opportunity to "come back."

Which is why I say again, I think 2017 will be great for smartphones. The major players have a lot riding on their flagships this year, and the newcomers have room to maneuver and to gain ground.

Indeed!

It's going to be a very exciting year.

I'm looking forward to that Note 8 :D

I am also loving the Galaxy S8 rumours, again and AGAIN they jeep saying it will have a 3.5mm jack :)

Samsung know it's unnecessary to remove it.

I'm also looking forward to the new Exynos.

Reactions: MRU

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
P
This shows renders of what it could possibly look like. From what we have seen so far, it should be close to reality.

http://m.weibo.cn/status/4066674988580598
Please. Yes. That looks insane.

You have to wonder if the Galaxy S8 will take away a bit of the iPhone's thunder by the time it is released, since the Galaxy will be (nearly) bezel-less. And we all know that the lack of bezels is supposed to be the "big thing" for the iPhone.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
P

Please. Yes. That looks insane.

You have to wonder if the Galaxy S8 will take away a bit of the iPhone's thunder by the time it is released, since the Galaxy will be (nearly) bezel-less. And we all know that the lack of bezels is supposed to be the "big thing" for the iPhone.

Samsung has been schooling Apple for a while now in regards to bezels, designs, and ergonomics. The iPhone Plus is embarrassingly large next to the S7E and Note 7. Heck, it's embarrassingly large next to the Pixel XL and the 3T.

Samsung wouldn't so much be taking away Apple's thunder this year more than they would just be continuing that lead.

Last edited:

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
Samsung has been schooling Apple for a while now in regards to bezels, designs, and ergonomics. The iPhone Plus is embarrassingly large next to the S7E and Note 7. Heck, it's embarrassingly large next to the Pixel XL and the 3T.

Samsung wouldn't so much be taking away Apple's thunder this year more than they would just be continuing that lead.
Fair enough. I agree.

Those bezels on the iPhone 7 Plus are legendary. Hahaha.

Reactions: epicrayban

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Returned the Pixel, gave my father my 3T, and have now downgraded back to the S6 while I wait for my next 2017 flagship (likely the S8).

The S6 is still rather capable. After disabling some apps with Package Disabler Pro (no root required) and setting up Nova launcher, this little thing still rocks. It'll be interesting to see how the Nougat update can improve things.

Oh and you bet it's great to have wireless charging back again.

Last edited:
Reactions: v0lume4

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Returned the Pixel, gave my father my 3T, and have now downgraded back to the S6 while I wait for my next 2017 flagship (likely the S8).

The S6 is still rather capable. After disabling some apps with Package Disabler Pro (no root required) and setting up Nova launcher, this little thing still rocks. It'll be interesting to see how the Nougat update can improve things.

Why not give your dad the S6 instead and keep your 3T until the S8 comes out?

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012

Since disabling some of the bloatware, what is the battery life on that S6?

Sevanw

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
Here it is folks, first live leak. Venturebeat posted these pics. They also stated that it’s going to feature 4GB of RAM and 64GB of onboard storage. A battery size of 3,000mAh and 3,500mAh is mentioned for the 5.8-inch and 6.2-inch model respectively.
I'm not sure those battery sizes are right. Those sizes are smaller than the S7 and S7 Edge batteries.

galaxy-s8-live-photo-648x540.jpg

Last edited:

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Since disabling some of the bloatware, what is the battery life on that S6?

So far pretty standard. Nothing terrible but certainly not the champ like the 3T was.

With wireless charging back in my life, I'm always topping off my S6 anyway. See, that's the thing people didn't understand about wireless charging -- it's not so much that you don't have to use a wire (though that is convenient). It's more about always topping off your phone whenever you set it down. I leave work with 100% sometimes.

This is something iPhone users will soon learn to appreciate once Apple catches up!
[doublepost=1485461112][/doublepost]
Here it is folks, first live leak. Venturebeat posted these pics. They also stated that it’s going to feature 4GB of RAM and 64GB of onboard storage. A battery size of 3,000mAh and 3,500mAh is mentioned for the 5.8-inch and 6.2-inch model respectively.
I'm not sure those battery sizes are right. Those sizes are smaller than the S7 and S7 Edge batteries.

View attachment 685644

They weren't kidding about that off-center fingerprint scanner on the back. Weird. I suspect it has to be that high up because of the size of the battery and wireless charging features.

Last edited:
Reactions: nordique

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX

View attachment 685644

I just saw that over at Droid Life http://www.droid-life.com/2017/01/26/galaxy-s8-pictures-leak-release-date/

Can't quite tell, but in the one on the right, looks to be a micro USB port. I'd assume they'd be going with USB C. Unless my eyes aren't what they used to be ;)

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
The clean front is going to be gorgeous with the black model.

I really hope it's true there is no "Samsung" logo on the front of the USA versions.

[doublepost=1485461603][/doublepost]
I just saw that over at Droid Life http://www.droid-life.com/2017/01/26/galaxy-s8-pictures-leak-release-date/

Can't quite tell, but in the one on the right, looks to be a micro USB port. I'd assume they'd be going with USB C. Unless my eyes aren't what they used to be ;)

You're not the only one to notice that, so good eye! However, Evan Bass says that's an optical illusion. It's USB-C.

It would be silly, too, of Samsung to release microUSB again after the Note 7 USB C.

Reactions: co.ag.2005

spriter

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2004
Damn they really offset the finger scanner. They really should have moved the camera sensor instead like other phones do to make the scanner central.

Aside from it being too the side it's also high up. Hmmm that's a big question mark in terms of ease-of-use. I'm sure it works but can't see how it would be better than lower and central.

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012

View attachment 685644
Hmm... You know, I'm not sure what I think about it. I was hoping for slightly more square corners. Of course phones always look bad in leaks, we all know. And was hoping they'd make the speaker grill circle cutouts instead of the weird oblong shape we see here.
[doublepost=1485462125][/doublepost]My favorite mockup ever was this one:

Attachments

• galaxy-s8-concept.jpg
    galaxy-s8-concept.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 113

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
It's a very attractive looking device, a nice evolution from previous models. I personally like them ditching the colored bezels. But I think the fingerprint scanner position is terrible--have to agree with @spriter in this regard, should have offset the camera instead.

I still also hate the curved edges and really hope other OEMs don't copy this style. You can have very tight bezels without using a curved display.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
The clean front is going to be gorgeous with the black model.

I really hope it's true there is no "Samsung" logo on the front of the USA versions.

[doublepost=1485461603][/doublepost]

You're not the only one to notice that, so good eye! However, Evan Bass says that's an optical illusion. It's USB-C.

It would be silly, too, of Samsung to release microUSB again after the Note 7 USB C.

I was wondering it was an optical illusion based on the angle and the fuzziness of the pic.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
4GB of Ram???
Weird placed finger sensor on back???

I'm not liking these new rumors? :mad:

But I'll ending up ending one if it's true anyways, cause I'm on T-Mobile JOD. :)

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
4GB of Ram???
Weird placed finger sensor on back???

I'm not liking these new rumors? :mad:

But I'll ending up ending one if it's true anyways, cause I'm on T-Mobile JOD. :)

It really should be 6GB. Samsung should start pushing that next.

The fingerprint sensor location is odd indeed, but I agree, I don't think it's a dealbreaker. If it means a near bezel-less and super slick/clean front, I think that's worth it. And if that's the only position that's available after the large battery and wireless charging features, I think that's worth it, too.

We'll see how it actually feels.

Reactions: nordique

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
It really should be 6GB. Samsung should start pushing that next.

Why ? Specs for specs sake ?

Clean up Touchwiz, free some of the system ram usage current and even with 4gb there would be a tangible improvement.

Again there is an oxymoron in this fora in that you all want shitton of ram, but then say you only ever have a few (half dozen) apps open ...

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Why ? Specs for specs sake ?

Clean up Touchwiz, free some of the system ram usage current and even with 4gb there would be a tangible improvement.

Again there is an oxymoron in this fora in that you all want shitton of ram, but then say you only ever have a few (half dozen) apps open ...

Isn't the 6GB of RAM a factor in why the 3T sometimes outperforms and feels faster than the Pixel?

Otherwise, I agree with you.

Reactions: nordique and MRU
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.