Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
I'm still hoping for the finger sensor on the display. And YES, 4GB of RAM sounds fishy when Samsung's C9 Pro already has 6GB, OP3 has 6GB, several phones from Xiaomi, and etc.

Oh yeah, I didn't even address the mid-range or region exclusive phones Samsung makes either. MWC can't come quick enough.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Samsung are definitely missing a trick not having a smaller screen model that is high end like the iPhone SE.
Sure, the SE isn't majorly powerful, but its got very good internals.

Working at CPW I sell loads and loads of SE's.

I definitely think a smaller Samsung would sell just as well, there is definitely a big market of people who are not here for larger phones, no matter how small the bezel is.

One thing I will say though (going off topic) Samsung kill it with their low end devices. The J3 and J5 absolutely fly out. I don't think I've gone a shift there yet (and I only do part time 15 hours) where I haven't seen one being sold. Crazy.

Surely you answered your own question!

They have a gigantic range of phones. They don't need to create a new one to rival the SE.

And anyway, these S8's are supposed to be the same size as the S7's - it's just the screens that will be different.

TBH I can see already that this S8 may be one to miss out on, and they will have refined it much more for the S9 or Note 8.

That fingerprint sensor placement looks silly, the camera is rumored to get only a modest improvement, similar battery (but for a bigger screen, don't forget), and it doesn't look like the speakers will be wildly better (but let's see).

The leaks have dampened my enthusiasm, but hopefully they have some tricks up their sleeve!

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Surely you answered your own question!

They have a gigantic range of phones. They don't need to create a new one to rival the SE.

And anyway, these S8's are supposed to be the same size as the S7's - it's just the screens that will be different.

TBH I can see already that this S8 may be one to miss out on, and they will have refined it much more for the S9 or Note 8.

That fingerprint sensor placement looks silly, the camera is rumored to get only a modest improvement, similar battery (but for a bigger screen, don't forget), and it doesn't look like the speakers will be wildly better (but let's see).

The leaks have dampened my enthusiasm, but hopefully they have some tricks up their sleeve!

Well not really.
Whilst we sell a lot of low end Samsungs we do get people who look at the higher end Samsung devices and don't want a phone that big, ultimately theyre the ones that upgrade to the SE.

It's generally only older folks and 11 year olds who buy the J series, but there's a LOT of them that do. Cheap and cheerful.

Those coming from an iPhone 4/5 or S3 mini (so many still have these) don't have much in the way of choice so always end up with the SE. We suggest the J and A series but ultimately they're all too underpowered to be a significant upgrade for them.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
There is a market for a 4.5-5" screen. No bigger.

Whether it is big enough to service with a premium Samsung phone is debatable...I sure as hell think so. Choice is always good.

And the one-hand use is unparalleled! Not to mention the smaller size is a pleasure to hold...bigger phones are not the be-all as some would think.

mellofello

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2011
I don't think you guys understand how big a screen can get if you remove all the bezel. The S7 was a pretty small phone by today's standards. Getting a 5.5 into that size will be a game changer.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
I don't think you guys understand how big a screen can get if you remove all the bezel. The S7 was a pretty small phone by today's standards. Getting a 5.5 into that size will be a game changer.

There you (generalizing of course) go again.

It's not about the largest screen you can fit on a bezel-less design as opposed to a bezel phone with borders.

Case in point: if Apple were to take the 4.7" screen from the 6s, and execute a bezel-less design with minimal borders (and even better put it in a oled display)...that to me would be the ideal iPhone.

We'd have a 4.3" iPhone from my rough calculations. (Well, I'd prefer if Apple brought back the 3.5mm jack too, but we all know that ain't happening.)

I'd take that over an equivalent 5.x screen w/no borders squeezed down to 4.7" factor any day.

mellofello

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2011

It's not about the largest screen you can fit on a bezel-less design as opposed to a bezel phone with borders.

Case in point: if Apple were to take the 4.7" screen from the 6s, and execute a bezel-less design with minimal borders (and even better put it in a oled display)...that to me would be the ideal iPhone.

We'd have a 4.3" iPhone from my rough calculations. (Well, I'd prefer if Apple brought back the 3.5mm jack too, but we all know that ain't happening.)

I'd take that over an equivalent 5.x screen w/no borders squeezed down to 4.7" factor any day.

You are certainly the minority.

If you take a iPhone 5 and sit it on a 7 plus the phone fits inside the screen pretty much perfectly, only slightly wider.

No one ever complained about how large a 5 was, and the even if they could get it to S7 size it will be a sea change.

This is the year of the one handed phablet. It is finally upon us. You will be left out in the cold if you want any smaller. Buy a few SEs to keep in storage.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011

If you take a iPhone 5 and sit it on a 7 plus the phone fits inside the screen pretty much perfectly, only slightly wider.

No one ever complained about how large a 5 was, and the even if they could get it to S7 size it will be a sea change.

This is the year of the one handed phablet. It is finally upon us. You will be left out in the cold if you want any smaller. Buy a few SEs to keep in storage.

So be it.

If Apple and other makers wont service us, somebody will (I hope).

I have a 6s and before getting it...used a flip-phone for over 10 years...the same flip-phone all that time.

So yes...if I wanted to...it's possible for me to use this 6s another 5 or 6 years (or more) if need be. I've kept it on iOS 9.0.2 ...the iOS it came with.

I'm not bluffing or posturing when I say this 6s can last me many years if I really want it to.

The ball is in Apple's court and they have to -convince- me whether the 7s, 8 or anything is worth buying. The same applies to Android.

And I'm not buying anything and keeping it in storage. Batteries deteriorate and I wouldn't tie up my money like that anyway.

One-handed phablet you say?...reality for you perhaps. Not for me.

Last edited:

spriter

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2004
So the edge screens have finally taken over it seems. No more flat screen?

Although I'm not a fan of edge screens, predominantly because of false touches, glare, and issues with screen protectors and protection, I'm interested to hear the advantages in added function.

I have an S6e and just didn't find the edge features much use at all. Was the S7 edge stuff much better and more useful and intuitive? Did they do something great with the Note 7?What do they provide that swiping in from a flat screen doesn't?

Last edited:
Reactions: MRU

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Although I'm not a fan of edge screens, predominantly because of false touches, glare, and issues with screen protectors and protection, I'm interested to hear the advantages in added function.

I have an S6e and just didn't find the edge features much use at all. Was the S7 edge stuff much better and more useful and intuitive? Did they do something great with the Note 7?What do they provide that swiping in from a flat screen doesn't?

No it was pretty much the same functionality wise.

Is it so hard to understand that what a lot of people want is a 4.7-5" screen regardless of bezel size. Just because you may be able to hold a 5.5" device in one hand, the travel distance of the thumb is still the same over the screen and it will still require two hands to utilise properly especially with the hand gymnastics gripping an edgeless device brings. So what many users would like is a simply smaller screen device + smaller bezel / dimensions.

Many users have done and over dosed on phablets and simply had enough of them. The S7 was far more comfortable a device to use personally one handed and in everyday scenarios than the S7E despite the S7E having no side bezel reducing its width by a few mil. Reducing the S7E top and bottom bezel but keeping same size screen means the actual width and ergonomic issue it caused for many users would still persist. The top and bottom bezels affect usage far less than folks like to think. Sure you may not like them aesthetically but that's nothing to do with ergonomics or usage.

Whilst I and others appreciate many users like big screens, it's by the same token that many don't. And it's nothing to do with bezel size. There is simply no need to be so dismissive of other users who may want and prefer Samsung to retain a smaller screen size handset.

The way your responses read were pretty much bláise and quite ignorant tbh ...

So the edge screens have finally taken over it seems. No more flat screen?

The increased screen sizes overall and no flat option will sadly act as a barrier for me.

However after spending well over €150 on official Note 7 accessories prior to cancelled launch, that expense would and will act as a bigger barrier for me jumping on board the Samsung train straight away regardless. I would wait at least 2-3 months.

Last edited:

mellofello

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2011

The note 7 was the first that really nailed the curvature angle imo. If you were to put the S6e, S7e, and the note 7 next to each other you would see a pretty drastic difference in curve. With the note being a very abrupt curve, and the screen going right up to the edge, as apposed to the pointy curve on the S6e. Of the 3, the note was noticeably more comfortable to hold in your hand.

While the actual added edge features, were mostly gimmicks, the real star of the show was the compact dimensions you got from the minimal bezels. You got a phone with a bigger screen then a iPhone , in a much smaller package.

I won't say that durability won't suffer from the increase in screen. Bezels do insulate the phone from damage. It is a trade off I am willing to take.

Reactions: spriter

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
I would much prefer a flat front phone over a curved edge front...the latter which seems to be where we're headed with the s8 from all the rumors.

The s7 glass protectors never seemed to apply and stay on well. I fear if I do get a s8, I would probably have to apply a film protector...not the best of choices, but I'll live.

But the width of the phone remains paramount.

My brother just got his first smartphone (Sony) about 4 months ago (he had a flip-phone also for many years...even longer than me) and he wishes it were smaller too. With the exception of my sis-in-law, all his kids have smaller phones (4-4.8" phones).

So it's not just Apple users wanting smaller.

vikingjunior

Cancelled
Aug 17, 2011
Doesn't matter the size or scanner placement it will lag after 2 months of use. Never will I be tricked into a shiny new feature rich Samsung again. It was sad when they stop selling their Android Pure phones in the play store. #Notmyphone

Sevanw

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
Doesn't matter the size or scanner placement it will lag after 2 months of use. Never will I be tricked into a shiny new feature rich Samsung again. It was sad when they stop selling their Android Pure phones in the play store. #Notmyphone

Too bad for you, but my Exynos S7 Edge is running like a champ. I expect the S8 and Note 8 to be the devices to beat in 2017.

Last edited:

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
Too bad for you, but my Exynos S7 Edge is running like a champ. I expect the S8 and Note 8 to be the devices to beat in 2017.
Same here, but as much as the S8 looks to be a cool phone, this S7 edge will do me until the Note 8 comes out.
Im not using any screen protection apart from my flip case and the screen is perfect, the whole phone is in perfect condition.
I hope they bring an LED flip cover out for the Note 8 on release, great case for those without butterfingers.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Same here, but as much as the S8 looks to be a cool phone, this S7 edge will do me until the Note 8 comes out

Wow! People could read this the wrong way

Im not using any screen protection apart from my flip case and the screen is perfect, the whole phone is in perfect condition.
I hope they bring an LED flip cover out for the Note 8 on release, great case for those without butterfingers.

I'm using mine without any screen protection to, I've given up on finding something that fits properly.

All I'm using is a hard case with a lip at top and bottom, that helps protect the screen when dropped.

frankgrimes

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2016
I may be in the minority but I really don't like some of the rumored designs so far. By going almost bezelless where is the place for the awesome camera and LED notification (must have for me) and where are the capacitive and phsysical buttons? It may look cool and have some wow effect at first but can you imagine how fragile a phone with a 95 % screen ratio would be add the edges and you are looking at a beautiful that better finds itself in a Ottobox Defender case or else that almost 1k phone will be in for a lot of high repair bills.

Honestly Samsung what's wrong with a flat display? No false touches, less glare and easier to protect, I honestly don't understand what the huge advantage of an edged screen is.

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans

The display of the first gen Moto X was the same size as the iPhone 6 but the body was only slightly larger than the iPhone 5. It was the perfect size for a phone IMO.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
Honestly Samsung what's wrong with a flat display? No false touches, less glare and easier to protect, I honestly don't understand what the huge advantage of an edged screen is.

I completely agree.

A edge-to-edge display looks sexy (no doubt) and impressive, but other that that...I'm not sure what else.

Will there be more false-touches and unintended registration of your fingers on the screen because of this?

I want a device that has long battery life, that offers accurate and positive registration of your finger touches above all else. Iris scanning does nothing for me, but I'll take it when the makers figure it out.

I already stated my stance on curved edges...I prefer flat. Easier to apply glass protectors and probably easier to pick up and grip.
[doublepost=1485797845][/doublepost]
The display of the first gen Moto X was the same size as the iPhone 6 but the body was only slightly larger than the iPhone 5. It was the perfect size for a phone IMO.

Always liked the Motorola phones. Not much bloatware and still reasonably sized though I've not tracked the company much after early 2016.

I bought a Moto E 2nd gen in late 2015 or very early 2016 thinking I might set it up as a Ringplus (or other backup) phone candidate. Just powered it on now and battery charge is 79% full after a year off...not bad!

Last edited:
Reactions: frankgrimes

shyam09

macrumors 68020
Oct 31, 2010
Per the rumors, it looks like we are getting two screen sizes -- 5.8" and 6.2"; so I'm curious why dual-cameras haven't been implemented yet, given as that's how the market is shifting, and not to mention Apple is doing it as well.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
First gen Moto X was one of the most if not the most ergonomic phone ever. Sadly they decided to stray to bigger screens and as a consequence abandon that ergonomic feel.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.