Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I love the idea of a dedicated button for Bixby. I never have my phone always listening. I have to unlock my phone and go into Google Voice to do my queries. But if I can just go straight away to Bixby with a button, awesome.

I'm not opposed to it either per se. Just find it a little too close to the volume rockers...

I wonder if an app can help reassign the Bixby button to do other actions.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
but so far there's no rumours for this

same with the new iPhone the OLED model with new design is for 5.8 inch device

for me thats great but for those who want smaller? not great.

Perhaps for good reason because they leaked prototype models.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Galaxy S8 and S8 Plus design and dimensions leak out, reiterate 18:9 aspect ratio, rear finger scanner

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Gala...-189-aspect-ratio-rear-finger-scanner_id90587

I'm starting to believe the latest leaks as legit.

-The aspect ratio is interesting. Can someone elaborate/explain why both LG and Samsung are moving this way? Is this something that the entire industry will move to at some point?

-Finger print scanner -- you know what, I'm willing to give this a shot on the back. While I do prefer the front, it's not by much. The month or so I had with the Pixel's back scanner proved it was pretty great and useful during certain times. And nothing beats pulling it out of your pocket, finger in position, and the device unlocking as it's brought up to use. As for the off-center position, I guess that's the way it's going to go. Hopefully it's as natural and "logical" as the article says. I also suspect it's that high up so there's room for battery technology: larger battery and wireless charging. (Also, maybe Iris scanning will be the better method.)

-Dimensions! If this article is to be believed, it really won't be that much larger than the S7/S7 Edge. Maybe that's why the aspect ratio is changing. In order to really fit a 5.8" screen into as-close-to-possible body of an S7, they had to elongate the screen. I'm really hoping the smaller one will be as ergonomic as promised.

-And I have to say again, I love the front. These changes should be worth it for that slick, clean look. I can't wait to see the final product.

I have my eye on the smaller of the two. I hope Samsung sticks to the trend set forth by themselves and Google: no compromises on the smaller model besides the obvious smaller screen/battery.

Last edited:
Reactions: MRU

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
Really nothing changed for me in light of this news.

I await reviews and actual user feedback.

Ultimately, if I try this phone it will be under the condition that there is a 10-14 day return policy... ie. I get the phone thru Verizon.

Frankly, I'm not surprised by Samsung's direction. Instead of making the S8 smaller while keeping the S7 screen, they want to wow the public by cramming a larger display as they move the front fp sensor and lose the button.

Last edited:
Reactions: epicrayban

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
No mention about speakers. Guess no dual setup? I hope they copy HTC/Apple at least with their dual speaker setup. Clearly, they have no plans to put front-facing speakers.

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
Not at all trying to bring down the good vibes here, but am I the only one disappointed with the leaks? The supposed leaks that we have seen look nearly identical to the S7 Edge, just with slightly smaller top and bottom bezels. That's it.

I was expecting something a little more radical. At least give us some square corners or something!

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Not at all trying to bring down the good vibes here, but am I the only one disappointed with the leaks? The supposed leaks that we have seen look nearly identical to the S7 Edge, just with slightly smaller top and bottom bezels. That's it.

I was expecting something a little more radical. At least give us some square corners or something!

I'm really not sure how much more we can expect, but yes, the back and bottom portions in particular are almost identical to the S7 generation. The front, however, has changed pretty significantly. No more physical button and far less bezels. How much more can the front change anyhow?

Sevanw

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
Once something becomes almost all screen, there's only so many ways an OEM can differentiate their design from other designs. Just look at TVs now. They're all just rectangles. That's where smartphones are heading.

Reactions: From A Buick 8

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
My posting history should make it pretty clear that I'm not a big fan of Samsung's phones but I also want to reiterate that I'm not in this thread simply to rain on Samsung fan's parade...simply just offering my observations.

Galaxy S8 and S8 Plus design and dimensions leak out, reiterate 18:9 aspect ratio, rear finger scanner

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Gala...-189-aspect-ratio-rear-finger-scanner_id90587

I'm starting to believe the latest leaks as legit.

-The aspect ratio is interesting. Can someone elaborate/explain why both LG and Samsung are moving this way? Is this something that the entire industry will move to at some point?

I don't get this at all. As @MRU pointed out in the past, this will result in black bars on the sides (vs. the more common top and bottom) of most landscape oriented video (usually now at 16:9) or at the top and bottom of even the increasingly more common portrait shot :)rolleyes:) videos, i.e. Periscope. And for me personally, it's even worse as I can't stand the distortion created under the curved portion of the display, effectively making the 18:9 even worse.

-Finger print scanner -- you know what, I'm willing to give this a shot on the back. While I do prefer the front, it's not by much. The month or so I had with the Pixel's back scanner proved it was pretty great and useful during certain times. And nothing beats pulling it out of your pocket, finger in position, and the device unlocking as it's brought up to use. As for the off-center position, I guess that's the way it's going to go. Hopefully it's as natural and "logical" as the article says. I also suspect it's that high up so there's room for battery technology: larger battery and wireless charging. (Also, maybe Iris scanning will be the better method.)

I'm still not a fan of the rear placement as I use my phone in a dock or while lying on a surface all the time. Samsung's placement just seems even more inconvenient.

-Dimensions! If this article is to be believed, it really won't be that much larger than the S7/S7 Edge. Maybe that's why the aspect ratio is changing. In order to really fit a 5.8" screen into as-close-to-possible body of an S7, they had to elongate the screen. I'm really hoping the smaller one will be as ergonomic as promised.

No opinion either way as I love a big phone and I'm currently using an iPhone 7+ so, clearly bezels don't bother me that much either. :p

-And I have to say again, I love the front. These changes should be worth it for that slick, clean look. I can't wait to see the final product.

Agree, though I still have serious doubts Samsung won't muck it all up with a logo somewhere on the front. And while it's quite pretty, I still hate curved edges.

I have my eye on the smaller of the two. I hope Samsung sticks to the trend set forth by themselves and Google: no compromises on the smaller model besides the obvious smaller screen/battery.

Don't see why this would change as Samsung has been pretty consistent through the years.

Reactions: MRU and epicrayban

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
But will still run Touchwiz :( I don't care what anyone says, TW blows compared to stock Android.

All my years with Android, I have owned almost all the Nexus phones, and also a ton of Samsung flagships, like the Note 2, Galaxy SIII, Galaxy S4, Note 5, and Galaxy S7 Edge.

Don't care what anyone says, but once the these Galaxy phones get a few months old, they lag. But every Nexus phone I've owned, didn't matter one day old, compared to six months old, or one year old, they always ran smooth as butter super fast all the time every time.

All my co-workers got brand new Galaxy S7 Edge's for Christmas here at work, I had to help set them up. I was shocked at the little micro stutter, and a few hiccups here and there on these phones. They we're not ultra smooth, warp speed like I was expecting.

I'm no iPhone fan at all, but I actually have a 7 Plus as my main phone right now, and it is super duper smooth, all the time, anytime, just always constantly smooth. Never a hiccup on this 7 Plus, but the S7 Edge, is far more stuttery in comparison.

I remember when the Galaxy Note 7 first came out last Summer, the T-Mobile rep was showing me his personal phone, and saying how smooth it was, etc...and as I was watching him play with it, I clearly saw it stutter a little here and there, and a tiny lag. He then let me play with it, and said look how silky smooth this phone is, and I moved around the screens and into Settings and back to the homescreen, and I clearly had some lag on there. I was like this phone's isn't buttery smooth, yes it is 75% of the time, but not 100% smooth all the time. The iPhone 7 Plus I can say is smooth 99% of the time, and the Nexus phones I can say almost the same

Last edited:
Reactions: co.ag.2005

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Whilst I suspect the height of the devices may be similar to the S7E current on the 5.8" model, unless Samsung have changed aspect ratio there is no logical or physical way to go from 5.5" on the S7E to 5.8" and not have the screen bigger and more importantly .3" wider. The 6.2" will be .7" wider at least .... So whilst overall dimensions may be similar, they are still wider. This may allow bigger cell battery ...

There are some here though who are painting the picture that the 5.8" S8 will somehow magically fit into same dimensions as the current S7 because they have made the top and bottom bezels smaller. But that just an logical and physical impossibility.

Isn't the rumor that the S8 will be an 18.5 by 9 aspect ratio? Could that do anything?

Reactions: MRU

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
But will still run Touchwiz :( I don't care what anyone says, TW blows compared to stock Android.

All my years with Android, I have owned almost all the Nexus phones, and also a ton of Samsung flagships, like the Note 2, Galaxy SIII, Galaxy S4, Note 5, and Galaxy S7 Edge.

Don't care what anyone says, but once the these Galaxy phones get a few months old, they lag. But every Nexus phone I've owned, didn't matter one day old, compared to six months old, or one year old, they always ran smooth as butter super fast all the time every time.

All my co-workers got brand new Galaxy S7 Edge's for Christmas here at work, I had to help set them up. I was shocked at the little micro stutter, and a few hiccups here and there on these phones. They we're not ultra smooth, warp speed like I was expecting.

I'm no iPhone fan at all, but I actually have a 7 Plus as my main phone right now, and it is super duper smooth, all the time, anytime, just always constantly smooth. Never a hiccup on this 7 Plus, but the S7 Edge, is far more stuttery in comparison.

I remember when the Galaxy Note 7 first came out last Summer, the T-Mobile rep was showing me his personal phone, and saying how smooth it was, etc...and as I was watching him play with it, I clearly saw it stutter a little here and there, and a tiny lag. He then let me play with it, and said look how silky smooth this phone is, and I moved around the screens and into Settings and back to the homescreen, and I clearly had some lag on there. I was like this phone's isn't buttery smooth, yes it is 75% of the time, but not 100% smooth all the time. The iPhone 7 Plus I can say is smooth 99% of the time, and the Nexus phones I can say almost the same
I can't speak for Samsung phones as I do not own one, but I second what you say about Nexus phones. My Nexus 6P is buttery smooth. Literally like silk. What a far cry from my laggy iPhone 5 running iOS 10. :p

If it's true that Samsung phones really do degrade that much overtime, then I don't see myself ever getting one. I've read the horror stories but I didn't know if they apply to everybody, or just the kinds of people that also have 10 toolbars on Internet Explorer (if you catch my drift).

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
I can't speak for Samsung phones as I do not own one, but I second what you say about Nexus phones. My Nexus 6P is buttery smooth. Literally like silk. What a far cry from my laggy iPhone 5 running iOS 10. :p

If it's true that Samsung phones really do degrade that much overtime, then I don't see myself ever getting one. I've read the horror stories but I didn't know if they apply to everybody, or just the kinds of people that also have 10 toolbars on Internet Explorer (if you catch my drift).

It is true. Every year we hear the same story, oh this year Samsung finally toned down Touchwiz and optimized it much better to run smoother. And every year the phones till have micro stutter and minor lag. Yeah I t has gotten better each year, but they are nowhere near Pixel level smoothness.

Samsung does the brute force method of smoothness, stuffing top of the line super fast hardware to force it to run smooth. But that never works as good as it sounds. Touchwiz just needs a major overhaul and redo

From my recent experience with the Galaxy S7 Edge and Note 7, not being the ultra smooth lag free smartphones I expected, I am not hopeful the S8 will be of Pixel smoothness.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
All legitimate concerns. From screen ratio to TouchWiz vs. Pixel launcher. We'll see what Samsung can cook up. Hopefully with increased competition from Google, LG, and down the line, Apple, and from the pressure of recovering from the Note 7 fiasco, they keep things tight for the S8.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011

Ditto...people post stories but is the slowdown because put crap on their phones, installing things left and right, or does it really slow down for real after 3+ months?

Touchwiz can't be helped but my limited experience w/it (on my tab pro 8.4) wasn't an utter dislike. And easily replaced, no?

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
My posting history should make it pretty clear that I'm not a big fan of Samsung's phones but I also want to reiterate that I'm not in this thread simply to rain on Samsung fan's parade...simply just offering my observations.

I don't get this at all. As @MRU pointed out in the past, this will result in black bars on the sides (vs. the more common top and bottom) of most landscape oriented video (usually now at 16:9) or at the top and bottom of even the increasingly more common portrait shot :)rolleyes:) videos, i.e. Periscope. And for me personally, it's even worse as I can't stand the distortion created under the curved portion of the display, effectively making the 18:9 even worse.

I'm still not a fan of the rear placement as I use my phone in a dock or while lying on a surface all the time. Samsung's placement just seems even more inconvenient.

No opinion either way as I love a big phone and I'm currently using an iPhone 7+ so, clearly bezels don't bother me that much either. :p

Agree, though I still have serious doubts Samsung won't muck it all up with a logo somewhere on the front. And while it's quite pretty, I still hate curved edges.

Don't see why this would change as Samsung has been pretty consistent through the years.

-Maybe IRIS scanner will make up for the back button while devices are on a dock. I have a standing dock. It'd be pretty neat if I could double tap the screen, have it perform the IRIS scanner, and then get me into my device. But otherwise, agree with you. I, too, prefer the front. It'll be a big adjustment.

-The distortion thing is really quite a non-issue, but that's just my opinion. Have you seen the Note 7 screen? Even more so with the smaller edges. I hope the S8 will adopt that style of edge screen. If Apple's iPhone offers an edge version, you'll skip that one, too?

-The aspect ratio... yeah, that'll be weird. That's why I asked if anyone could elaborate why that seems to be happening between LG and Samsung. Is it a new standard that we're all eventually going to go to? Anyone know?
[doublepost=1485981188][/doublepost]
Ditto...people post stories but is the slowdown because put crap on their phones, installing things left and right, or does it really slow down for real after 3+ months?

Touchwiz can't be helped but my limited experience w/it (on my tab pro 8.4) wasn't an utter dislike. And easily replaced, no?

I had the S7 Edge for many months, almost a year. This "eventual slowdown" is overblown.

In general, the Pixel launcher is, no doubt, quicker than TouchWiz in its current iteration. I'm hoping the newest TouchWiz on top of Nougat will bridge that difference -- small as it is.
[doublepost=1485981444][/doublepost]

Who knows. It could also be legacy-fears of yesteryear. I mean, everyone did nothing but knock TouchWiz for its lag. And rightfully so. TouchWiz in early generations were a laggy mess. Since the S6, that's been improved upon year after year.

New TouchWiz on top of Nougat should bring about improvements, too. How close to Pixel-like can it get? That'll be the big question.

Reactions: v0lume4

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
-Maybe IRIS scanner will make up for the back button while devices are on a dock. I have a standing dock. It'd be pretty neat if I could double tap the screen, have it perform the IRIS scanner, and then get me into my device. But otherwise, agree with you. I, too, prefer the front. It'll be a big adjustment.

My bigger issue turns out to be not for unlocking---and yes, the iris scanner should help in this regard--but rather for apps that utilize the fingerprint scanner for security, i.e. 1Password, something use many, many times a day.

-The distortion thing is really quite a non-issue, but that's just my opinion. Have you seen the Note 7 screen? Even more so with the smaller edges. I hope the S8 will adopt that style of edge screen. If Apple's iPhone offers an edge version, you'll skip that one, too?

Yeah, we've had this discussion before and I'm not trying to say it's objectively flawed but rather, I just personally don't like it and find it terribly distracting. Yes, the Note 7's implementation was much better than the S7 edge but I still didn't like it. And yes, if it's on the next iPhone, I will almost certainly skip it. I'm personally hoping this doesn't become a trend and is a trait unique to Samsung or I'll just have to learn to cope.

-The aspect ratio... yeah, that'll be weird. That's why I asked if anyone could elaborate why that seems to be happening between LG and Samsung. Is it a new standard that we're all eventually going to go to? Anyone know?

I just think it exacerbates what I find to be the tougher reach with my thumb--the top portion of the display. I'm certainly curious to see if they are maybe implementing something similar to the 'second diplay' found on the V20 and HTC U Ultra without actually tacking on a second screen and just using a portion of the display.

Reactions: epicrayban

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
My bigger issue turns out to be not for unlocking---and yes, the iris scanner should help in this regard--but rather for apps that utilize the fingerprint scanner for security, i.e. 1Password, something use many, many times a day.

Yeah, we've had this discussion before and I'm not trying to say it's objectively flawed but rather, I just personally don't like it and find it terribly distracting. Yes, the Note 7's implementation was much better than the S7 edge but I still didn't like it. And yes, if it's on the next iPhone, I will almost certainly skip it. I'm personally hoping this doesn't become a trend and is a trait unique to Samsung or I'll just have to learn to cope.

I just think it exacerbates what I find to be the tougher reach with my thumb--the top portion of the display. I'm certainly curious to see if they are maybe implementing something similar to the 'second diplay' found on the V20 and HTC U Ultra without actually tacking on a second screen and just using a portion of the display.

Good points.

And I could see a bottom portion of the screen being dedicated to the Back, Home, App Switch buttons on the S8.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Isn't the rumor that the S8 will be an 18.5 by 9 aspect ratio? Could that do anything?

Yeah, I did not know until one of the guys pointed the new ratio out. Going to be interesting to see how that ratio plays with regular 16:9 TV/Sky/YouTube/Netflix/Amazon video content. Back to black borders like in 4:3 days ...

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Yeah, I did not know until one of the guys pointed the new ratio out. Going to be interesting to see how that ratio plays with regular 16:9 TV/Sky/YouTube/Netflix/Amazon video content. Back to black borders like in 4:3 days ...

Funny enough that Apple is sticking with 16:9 on the phone and Android makers seem to be moving to weird aspect ratios.

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
Funny enough that Apple is sticking with 16:9 on the phone and Android makers seem to be moving to weird aspect ratios.
Ah! Now that you mention it, that is ironic. And thats to say nothing of the crazy resolutions Apple has used in the past. My 640p iPhone 5 :confused:

Sevanw

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
I'm guessing the extra space on the display will be for navigation keys. This way, the navigation keys aren't using up valuable screen real estate. It would be nice to have navigation keys not shown as an overlay on the actual content.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.