Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I dunno. I tried simulating the fingerprint sensor placement on my iPhone and it just felt awkward regardless of which hand I used.

Yea, would have to actually hold the device to truly say if the placement is bad or not. But it would be moronic for Samsung to use a placement knowing users would have a hard time with.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
The new FPS placement will take getting used to (again, I myself prefer front FPS), but I'm personally willing to give it a shot if it means the front of the device will be that clean. Also, if the IRIS scanner has improved either hardware/software-wise, maybe that'll become the preferred way. It's supposed to be more secure, no? Former Note 7 users -- how was the IRIS scanner? I read both very good things and not so good things.

I will admit I am surprised that Samsung isn't implemented a fingerprint scanner underneath the screen especially since that's the direction Apple is taking. Wasn't it reported that Samsung bought a company's technology specifically to do that? I can't recall the deets, but I thought I read something along those lines...?

At the end of the day, I am all for on-screen buttons and a super clean front. If it means the fingerprint scanner has to go to the back, I'm fine with that. The placement, however, is definitely up for debate, but again, I suspect that's for the larger battery and other battery technology like wireless charging. I wouldn't be surprised if that also included a safer/larger battery compartment to deal with expansion so they don't have a repeat of the Note 7 debacle.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Yea, would have to actually hold the device to truly say if the placement is bad or not. But it would be moronic for Samsung to use a placement knowing users would have a hard time with.

I think they are likely banking on the iris scanner being the primary means of secure unlocking and will leave the fingerprint scanner as a secondary means (and thereby relegated a little in importance).

Reactions: yitzmich

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
The new FPS placement will take getting used to (again, I myself prefer front FPS), but I'm personally willing to give it a shot if it means the front of the device will be that clean. Also, if the IRIS scanner has improved either hardware/software-wise, maybe that'll become the preferred way. It's supposed to be more secure, no? Former Note 7 users -- how was the IRIS scanner? I read both very good things and not so good things.

I will admit I am surprised that Samsung isn't implemented a fingerprint scanner underneath the screen especially since that's the direction Apple is taking. Wasn't it reported that Samsung bought a company's technology specifically to do that? I can't recall the deets, but I thought I read something along those lines...?

At the end of the day, I am all for on-screen buttons and a super clean front. If it means the fingerprint scanner has to go to the back, I'm fine with that. The placement, however, is definitely up for debate, but again, I suspect that's for the larger battery and other battery technology like wireless charging. I wouldn't be surprised if that also included a safer/larger battery compartment to deal with expansion so they don't have a repeat of the Note 7 debacle.

[doublepost=1486396776][/doublepost]
I think they are likely banking on the iris scanner being the primary means of secure unlocking and will leave the fingerprint scanner as a secondary means (and thereby relegated a little in importance).

Problem is that they need something smart and intuitive to just scan your eyes when you look at the camera. There is a swipe up gesture on the Note 7. Contacts and glasses don't play well with the Note 7's scanner. As for the FP scanner, it has to be always on at the back because if someone has a delay like the S7's? Then it becomes counter-productive since most rear ones work with just a finger placement. My Nexus 5X's one is a bit slower compared to the OP3's fp scanner, but it still reads when I put my finger on the sensor. If Samsung made both, we're in for a tremendous phone. Only thing that scares me right now is the 4gb of RAM. If they release a 6gb RAM model, I'll be all over it because I want that possible 4K display if it has an upgraded screen. If there are only 4gb RAM models, I will either wait for a price drop or go for the Note 8.

Reactions: epicrayban and MRU

Sevanw

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
Guess it depends on what your used to. People always adjust to how they hold their phones when they get a new phone. Like when you're moving to a bigger phone, you have to make an adjustment. I'm holding my S7 Edge and placing my finger on the heartrate monitor (same phase as the S8 fp sensor) . It's not a problem for me. I'm used to it. I'm guessing it'll be the same for most current S7 Edge users. If I bought a Pixel, I'm sure I'd have to adjust holding a phone with such big bezels and a rear fp sensor in the back. But no problem, I'd get used to it in a week.

Reactions: JaySoul

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
[doublepost=1486396776][/doublepost]

Problem is that they need something smart and intuitive to just scan your eyes when you look at the camera. There is a swipe up gesture on the Note 7. Contacts and glasses don't play well with the Note 7's scanner. As for the FP scanner, it has to be always on at the back because if someone has a delay like the S7's? Then it becomes counter-productive since most rear ones work with just a finger placement. My Nexus 5X's one is a bit slower compared to the OP3's fp scanner, but it still reads when I put my finger on the sensor. If Samsung made both, we're in for a tremendous phone. Only thing that scares me right now is the 4gb of RAM. If they release a 6gb RAM model, I'll be all over it because I want that possible 4K display if it has an upgraded screen. If there are only 4gb RAM models, I will either wait for a price drop or go for the Note 8.

I mean, gloves and wet fingers don't play well with FPS. There will always be caveats to any security feature, I feel. I don't expect the IRIS scanner to work with sunglasses, for example.

Agree with you about the 4GB of RAM. Unlike MRU, I have no problem with Samsung throwing hardware muscle at their flagship devices. Hardware + software improvements should = a win. What do we stand to lose if there's more RAM, right? ;)

Reactions: nviz22 and MRU

Sevanw

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
I mean, gloves and wet fingers don't play well with FPS. There will always be caveats to any security feature, I feel. I don't expect the IRIS scanner to work with sunglasses, for example.

Agree with you about the 4GB of RAM. Unlike MRU, I have no problem with Samsung throwing hardware muscle at their flagship devices. Hardware + software improvements should = a win. What do we stand to lose if there's more RAM, right? ;)

At this stage, I'll always choose hardware over software. You can't change hardware once you bought it. Just look at the performance of the S7/S7 Edge with the Nougat update. I'm still on Marshmallow, and I've got no issues with performance. So I'm not in a huge rush for the update. But the people who did get the update, reported marked improvements in speed. The comparison videos on YouTube of 6.0 vs 7.0 on the S7 support this as well. Let me just add, I always used the iris scanner on my Note 7. I found it to be the most underrated feature of the phone. I've got a feeling the S8 and Note 8 will be the best of 2017.

Reactions: epicrayban

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I

I don't mind having more ram per se, just I would love them to clean up the stuff under the rug first.

I think if they just add more ram and pile more under the rug, then the 'gain' extra ram proffers becomes moot.

If Samsung could get their system ram usage in check along the lines of HTC / Sony and Google; then even without adding 'additional' ram, users would have almost the same amount (1.5gb) thusly freed up and available to them.

It's just a matter of how Samsung could approach achieving the same goal.

Besides I thought you lot all only have 6 apps open tops, in which case 6gb would be overkill.

In an ideal world we would of course have a newly foundation built version of TW and more hardware, but reality is normally the brute force solution.

However that being said ....

In fairness now to Samsung I personally didn't have an issue with ram management with the exynos S7 / S7e and it kept about 10-12 apps open which was about my limit anyway. (And I'm more critical of it when it does happen, which I wasn't with my S7e/S7)

Though the US model did suffer in the ram management regards, I am not quite sure why the Qualcomm version of the s7/S7e couldn't do the same as the Exynos. I hope Samsung offer exynos for Europe with the S8 (indeed I wish they would just stick to exynos globally personally).

Last edited:
Reactions: epicrayban

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I don't mind having more ram per se, just I would love them to clean up the stuff under the rug first.

I think if they just add more ram and pile more under the rug, then the 'gain' extra ram proffers becomes moot.

If Samsung could get their system ram usage in check along the lines of HTC / Sony and Google; then even without adding 'additional' ram, users would have almost the same amount (1.5gb) thusly freed up and available to them.

It's just a matter of how Samsung could approach achieving the same goal.

Besides I thought you lot all only have 6 apps open tops, in which case 6gb would be overkill.

In an ideal world we would of course have a newly foundation built version of TW and more hardware, but reality is normally the brute force solution.

However that being said ....

In fairness now to Samsung I personally didn't have an issue with ram management with the exynos S7 / S7e and it kept about 10-12 apps open which was about my limit anyway. (And I'm more critical of it when it does happen, which I wasn't with my S7e/S7)

Though the US model did suffer in the ram management regards, I am not quite sure why the Qualcomm version of the s7/S7e couldn't do the same as the Exynos. I hope Samsung offer exynos for Europe with the S8 (indeed I wish they would just stick to exynos globally personally).

I don't understand why it has to be one or the other. Can't Samsung do both? And aren't they doing precisely both? I had little to no issues with lag/RAM management on the S7E when I had it.

Would love Exynos worldwide, too! Some of the battery advantages that have been reported by S7 Exynos users are unreal. We know it's going to be Snapdragon in the USA.
[doublepost=1486401712][/doublepost]
At this stage, I'll always choose hardware over software. You can't change hardware once you bought it. Just look at the performance of the S7/S7 Edge with the Nougat update. I'm still on Marshmallow, and I've got no issues with performance. So I'm not in a huge rush for the update. But the people who did get the update, reported marked improvements in speed. The comparison videos on YouTube of 6.0 vs 7.0 on the S7 support this as well. Let me just add, I always used the iris scanner on my Note 7. I found it to be the most underrated feature of the phone. I've got a feeling the S8 and Note 8 will be the best of 2017.

IRIS scanner sounds promising.

As for hardware, I agree. Samsung is currently the smartphone hardware-king. Their cameras and screens alone do it. Plus, I personally find their designs among the best and most appealing. They're also the first big player to make waterproofing standard, large screens a viable option, make a stylus work (something Apple said wasn't possible), and now making edge-screens a thing, too.

This notion that hardware isn't important anymore or isn't as important anymore is really a byproduct of Apple marketing, which is ironic because a big part of what made the iPhone "the best" back then was precisely the superior camera and screen technology. Also, when Apple future-proofs, it's often lauded. When others future-proof, then it's overkill somehow.

A big part of why I'm a Samsung fan is for their hardware. It's weird to hear how that's a silly priority. I hope Samsung continues pushing it. Software is important, too, of course. They can make strides in both areas (and they have).

Last edited:

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
I don't understand why it has to be one or the other. Can't Samsung do both? And aren't they doing precisely both? I had little to no issues with lag/RAM management on the S7E when I had it.

Would love Exynos worldwide, too! Some of the battery advantages that have been reported by S7 Exynos users are unreal. We know it's going to be Snapdragon in the USA.

Remember, they're the #1 android OEM hardware wise. They don't need to bend to our whim. Most of their users don't care about RAM management.

Reactions: epicrayban and MRU

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009

IMO, that might be a dumb move since in direct bright sun rays it doesn't work, nor with dark tint sunglasses. Also, it take slightly longer with clear glasses. At least that's the results I got when I tested the Iris scanner every possible way on the Note 7.

Being that said, the Iris scanner works VERY WELL overall. And the majority of the time you will not be under direct sun beams.

So maybe you're right, especially if they improved the scanner. My use of the finger sensor was probably down 50% or more because of the Note 7 Iris scanner. I can't wait to have it back.
[doublepost=1486402863][/doublepost]

[doublepost=1486401712][/doublepost]

IRIS scanner sounds promising.

As for hardware, I agree. Samsung is currently the smartphone hardware-king. Their cameras and screens alone do it. Plus, I personally find their designs among the best and most appealing. They're also the first big player to make waterproofing standard, large screens a viable option, make a stylus work (something Apple said wasn't possible), and now making edge-screens a thing, too.

This notion that hardware isn't important anymore or isn't as important anymore is really a byproduct of Apple marketing, which is ironic because a big part of what made the iPhone "the best" back then was precisely the superior camera and screen technology. Also, when Apple future-proofs, it's often lauded. When others future-proof, then it's overkill somehow.

A big part of why I'm a Samsung fan is for their hardware. It's weird to hear how that's a silly priority. I hope Samsung continues pushing it. Software is important, too, of course. They can make strides in both areas (and they have).

Yea, both Samsung and Apple have been trendsetters in the smartphone game. Samsung doesn't get enough credit.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Does everyone feel confident a 6gb of RAM model will exist? Or should we expect uniform specs (4gb RAM, QHD screen, 835/latest exynos, SD slot, IP67, etc) for both potential models? I would expect the extra 2gb of RAM to cost $100 more along with more storage at 128gb and a bigger screen.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Remember, they're the #1 android OEM hardware wise. They don't need to bend to our whim. Most of their users don't care about RAM management.
True, the average punter in fairness wouldn't know any difference to care what ram management is ...

Reactions: nviz22

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Does everyone feel confident a 6gb of RAM model will exist? Or should we expect uniform specs (4gb RAM, QHD screen, 835/latest exynos, SD slot, IP67, etc) for both potential models? I would expect the extra 2gb of RAM to cost $100 more along with more storage at 128gb and a bigger screen.
I think a 6gb model if it does arrive would be Korean variant only. Much like the promise of variable storage sizes, we will seemingly uniform specs when it actually hits retail. Prob 4gb and Snapdragon 835 USA / Exynos international

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I wouldn't be thrilled if it stayed at 4GB of RAM. It wouldn't be a dealbreaker, but 6GB would be great to set the new standard.

I am thrilled about the 64GB standard. Can't wait to pair that up with the 128GB microSD from my S7E.

Reactions: LIVEFRMNYC

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I wouldn't be thrilled if it stayed at 4GB of RAM. It wouldn't be a dealbreaker, but 6GB would be great to set the new standard.

I am thrilled about the 64GB standard. Can't wait to pair that up with the 128GB microSD from my S7E.

Yea, it's starting to feel like the S8 will be a improved Note 7 without the S-Pen. Which isn't a bad thing at all.

With the fingerprint sensor on the back, it's most likely going to be activated by touch without the need to press. On my LG V20, I barely have to put my finger half way on the sensor, and it unlocks instantly. If that's what to expect on the S8, then placement will not be such an issue as most suspect.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Yea, it's starting to feel like the S8 will be a improved Note 7 without the S-Pen. Which isn't a bad thing at all.

With the fingerprint sensor on the back, it's most likely going to be activated by touch without the need to press. On my LG V20, I barely have to put my finger half way on the sensor, and it unlocks instantly. If that's what to expect on the S8, then placement will not be such an issue as most suspect.

I actually find back fingerprint scanners work faster (my experience with the Pixel) than front ones (S7E, OP3T). Maybe the index finger is a better read than the thumbs?

Also, if there's one thing about back sensors that rock, it's that you can pull your phone out of your pocket, finger in position, and the device is unlocked and ready to use the moment you pull it up. It's a wonderful feeling, actually. Very natural.

I think this is one of those cases where you have to really try in person to see it's not that big of a deal that it's off center. We're going by leaks and renderings and we're imagining it's hard to reach or too far off, but I bet the real thing won't be so true. I bet it'll be easier to get to than we think.

Or I'm wrong and it's a terrible design decision. We'll see.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
I think a 6gb model if it does arrive would be Korean variant only. Much like the promise of variable storage sizes, we will seemingly uniform specs when it actually hits retail. Prob 4gb and Snapdragon 835 USA / Exynos international

I'll be so frustrated lol because it doesn't warrant paying $800 usd for a new phone. Maybe if it were a BOGO deal with 2 for 1? If it's only 4gb I might just wait for the Note 8.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I'll be so frustrated lol because it doesn't warrant paying $800 usd for a new phone. Maybe if it were a BOGO deal with 2 for 1? If it's only 4gb I might just wait for the Note 8.
Sadly that's the reality were in these days. Were the exceptions here as folks who buy many phones ... I imagine most will be people buying are with devices older than 2016 ...

But yeah Apple & Samsung and now Google are really pushing it as far as they can price wise .... It just makes it harder for us to justify what is already a needless upgrade ...

Reactions: nviz22 and jamezr

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Sadly that's the reality were in these days. Were the exceptions here as folks who buy many phones ... I imagine most will be people buying are with devices older than 2016 ...

But yeah Apple & Samsung and now Google are really pushing it as far as they can price wise .... It just makes it harder for us to justify what is already a needless upgrade ...

Funny thing is that the Chinese market will be more favorable to us price wise while the major OEMs refuse to compete on a flagship level. A Galaxy J5 2017 does nothing for me as a consumer because it doesn't cater to what I need. But that's not enough for Samsung to crush Chinese companies. They need to beat out the OnePluses if they want to dominate more. But they're banking on better software (which is a given), more features, and a more premium experience to outsell the OP3, which they already do. Just that they miss out on more sales because they protect their margins.

Reactions: jamezr and MRU

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I don't understand why it has to be one or the other. Can't Samsung do both?
I guess it can be argued that there is little incentive for a company to focus on both.

For instance, Apple optimises the heck out of its software, then uses it to get away with providing minimum specs on their hardware, which saves component costs. Samsung likely can't optimise their software as well, so they compensate by pumping it with more ram (which also serves as a marketing spec).

Same end goal, differing motivations.

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016
New render about the S8 Samsung-Galaxy-S8-Plus-Renders-Gear-By-MySmartPrice-05-1170x663.jpg Hope this is the real thing. :)

Sevanw

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
Here's a live shot of the S8. This thing is gonna be gorgeous.

live-galaxy-s8-leaked.png

And then a video of the most recent renders released. The renders look accurate, but the live shot above looks even nicer. This is gonna be one of the most premium looking devices ever made.

Reactions: nviz22 and JaySoul

Sevanw

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
I guess it can be argued that there is little incentive for a company to focus on both.

For instance, Apple optimises the heck out of its software, then uses it to get away with providing minimum specs on their hardware, which saves component costs. Samsung likely can't optimise their software as well, so they compensate by pumping it with more ram (which also serves as a marketing spec).

Same end goal, differing motivations.

Sure, then what about not having a 2K OLED screen, yet still charging premium prices while giving a recycled design and a HD LCD screen. Sorry, I don't care how much people go on about Apple and it's optimized software. There's just no excuse for asking premium prices for a device that doesn't have premium hardware all around. Nope, none at all. Demand more for your damn money people.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.