Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016
It would be nice if Samsung went with all black front and just colour on back / sides like those render.

Sadly the bezel would be same colour as back so wont look quite as clean in reality, and I still expect to see the Samsung logo squeezed on the front for us.
I actually prefer just one colour for the whole phone, makes it feel like a single piece of glass in case of the galaxy phones. Although it would be nice some different colour variants for more liberty of choice.

Fireblade

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Italy
Really like this view...

https://twitter.com/OnLeaks/status/829053918864896000

bc6a31bacc281479a524b01e14d374c5.jpg

Reactions: MRU

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Oh god I hope Samsung SDi are not making the batteries ;)

Have any of you seen this ironically amusing news today ?

https://www.theguardian.com/technol...ulty-batteries-galaxy-note-7-battery-supplier

A fire that drew out 110 firefighters and 19 trucks to a factory operated by Samsung Galaxy Note 7 battery supplier, Samsung SDI, was caused by discarded faulty batteries, the company has said.

A “minor fire” broke out Wednesday in a Samsung SDI plant in the northern Chinese city of Tianjin and had to be extinguished, according to local emergency services Reuters reports.

The fire was contained to a part of the site used for waste processing, including faulty batteries. There were no casualties or significant impact on the operations of the plant, although the local fire department was called, said a Samsung SDI spokesperson.

The Wuqing branch of the Tianjin fire department said on Sina Weibo that the “material that caught fire was lithium batteries inside the production workshops and some half-finished products”.

Samsung SDI operates five plants within China, with Tianjin operating as the main manufacturing point for small batteries used in portable electronics, including the ill-fated Galaxy Note 7 that had to be recalled twice and withdrawn from sale leaving Samsung with a $5.3bn (£4.24bn) hole in operating profit

The poor old Note 7's batteries are still haunting Samsung ....

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Oh god I hope Samsung SDi are not making the batteries ;)

Have any of you seen this ironically amusing news today ?

https://www.theguardian.com/technol...ulty-batteries-galaxy-note-7-battery-supplier

The poor old Note 7's batteries are still haunting Samsung ....

If I'm not mistaken, Samsung SDI is still in charge of quality control for upcoming batteries. And I think they're employing a Japanese supplier as well. With their new multi-step check system, the S8 shouldn't have any major battery issues. If anything, it'll probably be the most scrutinized quality control for batteries we'll see.

Will S8's overheat and blow up? I bet. Samsung must be aware that this will happen no matter what and be ready to weather the storm for those miscellaneous incidents.

If the S8 does have another faulty battery issue akin to the Note 7, then I would say Samsung is in deep trouble. It would be insanely difficult to recover from two in a row.
[doublepost=1486591655][/doublepost]

This is a fake. I still believe the schematics are true and the final device will be something similar to this.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
If I'm not mistaken, Samsung SDI is still in charge of quality control for upcoming batteries. And I think they're employing a Japanese supplier as well. With their new multi-step check system, the S8 shouldn't have any major battery issues. If anything, it'll probably be the most scrutinized quality control for batteries we'll see..

It's just hard to put 100% faith in a company that even after the embarrassing mess they created, still fail to dispose of them properly without them bursting into flames and causing 19 fire-trucks to put out. I mean seriously, someone at Samsung SDi must be accountable surely ?

I honestly don't think the issue (at least I hope not) will affect the S8, but it's just rather sad that they (Samsung SDi) still seem utterly incompetent dealing with the n7 batteries, even disposing of them.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
It's just hard to put 100% faith in a company that even after the embarrassing mess they created, still fail to dispose of them properly without them bursting into flames and causing 19 fire-trucks to put out. I mean seriously, someone at Samsung SDi must be accountable surely ?

I don't think the issue (at least I hope not) will affect the S8, but it's sad that they (Samsung SDi) still seem utterly incompetent after all this.

Agreed. It's embarrassing.

The S8 is where it'll really count. If Samsung can't get their act together for their biggest flagship, then they will be digging themselves into a serious hole. I always knew despite the Note 7 debacle, that Samsung wasn't going away. I was one of the ones that predicted the Note line would stick around, too. But if Samsung goes through it again with the S8, the damage would be incalculable.

I can't wait to see what sorts of promotions Samsung will have for the S8, too, to try to get people to give them a second chance. The promos last year for the S7 were insane.

Reactions: MRU and jamezr

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
By the looks of it, damn near most people shouldn't have an issue with the placement of the FP sensor on the regular S8. It will actually be smaller in length than the S6, S6 edge, and S7.

The S8 Plus will be slightly shorter but wider than the Note 7. Note 7 is at 153.5 x 73.9 x 79 mm

https://www.sammobile.com/2017/02/08/size-comparison-galaxy-s6-vs-galaxy-s7-vs-galaxy-s8

View attachment 687691

Something's not right about the S8/S8 Plus measurements. Why is the S8 Plus 12mm longer to accommodate a .4" increase in display size? The S7 edge is only 8 mm longer than regular S7 for the same increase in display size. My guess is the S8 length is incorrect. I don't see how it's over 2mm shorter than the S7 yet has a .6-.7" larger display. There wasn't that much extra space in the already small S7 bezels.

And a better comparison concerning FP scanner placement would be to measure how far up it is from the bottom edge of the phone and compare the same distance on the Pixel/Pixel XL, LG V20, etc.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Something's not right about the S8/S8 Plus measurements. Why is the S8 Plus 12mm longer to accommodate a .4" increase in display size? The S7 edge is only 8 mm longer than regular S7 for the same increase in display size. My guess is the S8 length is incorrect. I don't see how it's over 2mm shorter than the S7 yet has a .6-.7" larger display. There wasn't that much extra space in the already small S7 bezels.

Well the comparison of the S6 Edge Plus and the S6 Edge is also at 12.3mm length difference. The difference in width is also similar but not exact.

And a better comparison concerning FP scanner placement would be to measure how far up it is from the bottom edge of the phone and compare the same distance on the Pixel/Pixel XL, LG V20, etc.

The LG V20 is 159.7 x 78.1 x 7.6 mm. Taller and wider than the S8 Plus. And I have no struggle placing my finger next to the camera. And you only need to place your finger on it for less than a second. I truly don't think the FP sensor will be an issue on both the S8 and S8 Plus.

frankgrimes

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2016
For people who are worried about the Logo on the top, I'd say buy a dbrand-skin and put it over it covers the damn logo very well.

I don't know I think the phone looks a lot like the S7 just with a different display to bezel ratio. Granted, these are just leaks so maybe the final product will look a lot differen.

I'm just hoping the Note 8 will be a worthy successor to my Note 4 otherwise I'll be looking at the V30 but I really like the S-Pen when my fingers are sweaty or greasy.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
FWIW...
I am probably getting the S8 plus because I like bigger phones.

According to a report out of South Korea, the 5.7-inch Galaxy S8 is going to feature a 3,000mAh battery while the 6.2-inch Galaxy S8 Plus would tout a 3,500mAh battery. You may recall that the Galaxy Note 7 also had a 3,500mAh battery. The report quotes an unnamed Samsung official who says that the company decided to go with these batteries after completing a range of tests. Batteries for the Galaxy S8 will reportedly be supplied by Samsung SDI and Murata Manufacturing of Japan.
https://www.sammobile.com/2017/02/09/galaxy-s8-battery-size-might-be-similar-to-the-galaxy-note-7/

kdarling

macrumors P6
I honestly don't think the issue (at least I hope not) will affect the S8, but it's just rather sad that they (Samsung SDi) still seem utterly incompetent dealing with the n7 batteries, even disposing of them.

That plant has nothing to do with Note batteries or Samsung SDI.

As usual, the so-called "news" sites who reported it that way, did no checking at all.

Otherwise they would've quickly figured out that the Tianjin Samsung Electronic Company "designs, develops, manufactures, markets and exports video cameras, video surveillance systems, video recorders, DVD and other audio and video products"... not batteries.

Today's tech reporters not only simply echo each other, but also throw in totally bogus info as click bait. Truth and facts don't make as much money.

Last edited:

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
That plant has nothing to do with Note batteries or Samsung SDI.

As usual, the so-called "news" sites who reported it that way, did no checking at all.

Otherwise they would've quickly figured out that the Tianjin Samsung Electronic Company "designs, develops, manufactures, markets and exports video cameras, video surveillance systems, video recorders, DVD and other audio and video products"... not batteries.

Today's tech reporters not only simply echo each other, but also throw in totally bogus info as click bait. Truth and facts don't make as much money.
Reuters is the original source for the article from the Guardian and indeed doesn't say Note 7, just claims faulty batteries but it's clear reading the Reuters article what they are inferring - however that is contrary to what the chief fire officer claimed who said it was actually batteries in the factory on unfinished tech.

And yep Reuters are indeed claiming that it was Samsung SDi.

The Tianjin plant is one of five production centers by SDI in China and a major one for small batteries used in phones.

http://www.reuters.com/article/samsung-sdi-batteries-fire-idUSL4N1FT3BX

The Guardian report though is like Chinese whispers and took the inference Reuters article had and embellished a little further ...

Sadly as you say it seems to be the way indeed of tech 'news' these days .....

Last edited:
Reactions: kdarling and jamezr

kdarling

macrumors P6
Reuters is the original source for the article from the Guardian and indeed doesn't say Note 7, just claims faulty batteries but it's clear reading the Reuters article what they are inferring - however that is contrary to what the chief fire officer claimed who said it was actually batteries in the factory on unfinished tech.

Parsing through the PR and fire dept accounts, it sounds like it probably was in a factory section with R&D and production parts that were slated for disposal.

And yep Reuters are indeed claiming that it was Samsung SDi.

Yeah, Reuters waffled between saying "SDI" and "affiliate".

SDI is a company which makes batteries and screens and such. This factory makes totally different products.

Perhaps Samsung needs PR people who issue corrections, instead of simply taking the path of the less said, the better.

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
I want to see them doing this for the Note line (not sure if they will continue or rebrand or do what with it given that the S8 is going to be a beast of phones in terms of screen size). I think re-establishing the Note as a premium flagship device with better features than the S8 would help offset the Note 7 batterygate damages. But with all this buzz about the S8 / S8+, I'm salivating over what the Note line might turn out to be.

Good point. I just recall there being multiple rumours about that feature for the s8 - but I haven't been following much for last little while so I am out of the loop.

Honestly, Cakefish and you should try out the Galaxy S8 on display at a nearby store. It won't hurt at all because only you can tell how ergonomically efficient a device is in your physical presence. I personally dislike their FP location, but I can get used to it myself because of muscle memory and habits. To each their own, but 2017 will be filled with great phones. If you want the pure Android experience, the Pixel 2 XL is there. If you want a budget device, the OnePlus 4 is several months away. If you want a device for the bare minimum, the Moto G5 Plus seems to be good with NFC/FP Scanner/1080p display/Snapdragon processor/2 or more GBs of RAM/etc. If you want a premium no frills Android, the HTC 11 would be a welcomed addition as a daily driver.

I will be keeping my eye out on pixel as well but it's just too far out for me. I don't mind keeping the S7 either, it serves my purposes very well and it's still a fantastic phone. Nougat has yet to hit it on my carrier yet as well so that should give it some new life too.

I am a bit peckish towards the Samsung phones so I am hoping the s8 wows me enough to stick with their phone. You're right about trying it out in person - I did the same with the S7 and loved how it felt in the hand.

Reactions: nviz22

nutriousmitten

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2017
Though may take a dive into the Apple ecosystem finally for a second phone (Ip 7, smaller size), have had Android and Note 4 and Note 5 for the past 3 years almost now. Debated on the Note 7 but glad I held off, as the hassle around returning it would've been a pain.

Not sure if I can wait for the Note 8 with S8 and S8 plus around the corner, but Note 8 will have a 6.2 screen in the Note 5 body, just as the S8 and 8+ have larger screens in last years body. S-pen I use infrequently, but really like it when I do, and usually the Note series, given its 6 month later release (or less) than the S series, has a couple more tricks up its sleeve.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
If I'm not mistaken, Samsung SDI is still in charge of quality control for upcoming batteries. And I think they're employing a Japanese supplier as well. With their new multi-step check system, the S8 shouldn't have any major battery issues. If anything, it'll probably be the most scrutinized quality control for batteries we'll see.

Will S8's overheat and blow up? I bet. Samsung must be aware that this will happen no matter what and be ready to weather the storm for those miscellaneous incidents.

If the S8 does have another faulty battery issue akin to the Note 7, then I would say Samsung is in deep trouble. It would be insanely difficult to recover from two in a row.
[doublepost=1486591655][/doublepost]

This is a fake. I still believe the schematics are true and the final device will be something similar to this.
I think if samsung has the same issue as note 7 then i think they are done when it comes to people buying their devices..

however i'm 99% sure the S8 will be fine

Reactions: LIVEFRMNYC

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Bixby sounds quite lame. Looks like it'll be another thing I'll be disabling if I get the S8.

Samsung's new Bixby assistant might not be based on Viv Labs technology

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Sams...t-not-be-based-on-Viv-Labs-technology_id90894

However, the latest information from Wall Street Journal suggests that Bixby will largely rely on an upgraded version of Samsung's own S Voice software, which has never been a consumer favorite due to its limited functionality. By comparison, Viv Labs' own Viv assistant has been quite formidable – demos have shown that it is fast, reliable and capable of handling complex requests containing numerous sentences.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Bixby sounds quite lame. Looks like it'll be another thing I'll be disabling if I get the S8.

Samsung's new Bixby assistant might not be based on Viv Labs technology

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Sams...t-not-be-based-on-Viv-Labs-technology_id90894

However, the latest information from Wall Street Journal suggests that Bixby will largely rely on an upgraded version of Samsung's own S Voice software, which has never been a consumer favorite due to its limited functionality. By comparison, Viv Labs' own Viv assistant has been quite formidable – demos have shown that it is fast, reliable and capable of handling complex requests containing numerous sentences.
Which is exactly why when bixby was first announced I said I did not understand Samsung wasting software resources devising another duplicate app when they could simply allow Google Assistant to do the job and incorporate the Google Assistant API into their own stock apps to make them compatible.

We know the assistant is available to OEM's with many new 2017 phones to come with it out of the box.

Even if Bixby proves to be better than S-Voice it won't match Google Assistant or even the older Google Now and the amount of development resources that has had.

As you say, I imagine most hardcore users will end up disabling it straight out of the box so that it frees up resource anyway.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Latest rumor says the iPhone 8 may feature IRIS scanning.

So, this Fall, iPhone users may finally understand the convenience of wireless charging and might jump on board with IRIS scanning.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Latest rumor says the iPhone 8 may feature IRIS scanning.

So, this Fall, iPhone users may finally understand the convenience of wireless charging and might jump on board with IRIS scanning.
Some people will then extol the virtues of those technologies.....and how Apple has brought great new tech to the iphone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sevanw

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
While paying $1100 usd for it lol.

In all seriousness, the pricing for the top end iPhone this year could be ridiculous. That's another problem with Apple. Not only will they be late to the game with certain features, but because it's new to the iPhone, they'll charge even higher premium prices for the new technology.

Rumor says a new 3D Touch panel is needed too to make the iPhone 8 work. I have recently upgraded my iPhone to a 6S -- 3D Touch is the biggest gimmick from Apple I've ever seen. Android achieves nearly the same thing with long-press without the need to have special screen technology driving up the costs. Unfortunately, iOS needs 3D Touch since Apple won't make iOS more dynamic than its current app-drawer style software.

To bring the point back to the S8, rumors are also pointing to a higher price point for the S8 so nobody is safe from price hikes sadly.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
In all seriousness, the pricing for the top end iPhone this year could be ridiculous. That's another problem with Apple. Not only will they be late to the game with certain features, but because it's new to the iPhone, they'll charge even higher premium prices for the new technology.

Rumor says a new 3D Touch panel is needed too to make the iPhone 8 work. I have recently upgraded my iPhone to a 6S -- 3D Touch is the biggest gimmick from Apple I've ever seen. Android achieves nearly the same thing with long-press without the need to have special screen technology driving up the costs. Unfortunately, iOS needs 3D Touch since Apple won't make iOS more dynamic than its current app-drawer style software.

To bring the point back to the S8, rumors are also pointing to a higher price point for the S8 so nobody is safe from price hikes sadly.

I'll either buy on bogo or JoD from T-Mobile.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.