Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Agree about the back, for the most part. Most will have a case on it anyways and for those that go naked, I doubt they really spend much time looking at the back of the phone. :p

Regardless, the logos/names are generally less subtle on Samsung phones and to make matters worse, some carriers (<cough>AT&T<cough>) insist on slapping their own logo or brand name on the back too.

and don't get me started on the custom 4G LTE logos that Verizon and AT&T put into the software... just keep the dang standard ones from Google/Samsung.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I just don't understand why they only do that for America and the rest of us get nice clean backs with just the Samsung logo. It's strange how they mess with the aesthetics / logos region by region (outside of regulatory info) rather than just standardise.

Isn't it to prevent litigation? I thought that was pretty well understood, no?
[doublepost=1487087211][/doublepost]
Agree about the back, for the most part. Most will have a case on it anyways and for those that go naked, I doubt they really spend much time looking at the back of the phone. :p

Regardless, the logos/names are generally less subtle on Samsung phones and to make matters worse, some carriers (<cough>AT&T<cough>) insist on slapping their own logo or brand name on the back too.

Yeah, that's a whole 'nother problem. ATT and Verizon are the worst.

: hugs T-mobile :

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
So the back button will be built into the display?

Samsung logo on the front looks bad but the rest? Looks beautiful
[doublepost=1487158822][/doublepost]
While paying $1100 usd for it lol.
But rumours are the S8 will cost £100 more than the S7

So both will be close in price.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013

So in the area of the rumoured iPhone 8 costing £1000 or more, if they build the back button into the display that would be a good thing. I do think that Samsung designs have got better over the last couple of years. It will be interesting to see what happens when Apple release the iPhone 8 will OLED display, will they attract more Samsung users who want the screen and rumoured features.

MindsEye

macrumors regular
May 3, 2010
So in the area of the rumoured iPhone 8 costing £1000 or more, if they build the back button into the display that would be a good thing. I do think that Samsung designs have got better over the last couple of years. It will be interesting to see what happens when Apple release the iPhone 8 will OLED display, will they attract more Samsung users who want the screen and rumoured features.

Maybe a very small number of users, can't see it having a significant effect either way. Personally i feel Samsung has gone from producing flagships with some of the worst hardware aesthetics to some if not the best looking in the biz. I have a bias for phones that use glass but even still, imo nothing compares to how far they've come from S5 to S6.

I wont lie, in purchasing my S7 Edge the screen and design played a big part but they were secondary to features like the actual OS, phone size etc. I would imagine if your choose the OLED 8 over the S8, you would most likely choose the 7s as well.

Reactions: jamezr

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Price wise for 2017 devices whether it be the S8/+ , iPhone 7S/8 , Pixel 2/2XL we are all going to be paying close to €1,000 ..... For me personally it's getting increasingly hard to justify 'ANY' of the prices Apple, Samsung & Google charge for their devices.

We are fleeced by all of them .....

MindsEye

macrumors regular
May 3, 2010
Price wise for 2017 devices whether it be the S8/+ , iPhone 7S/8 , Pixel 2/2XL we are all going to be paying close to €1,000 ..... For me personally it's getting increasingly hard to justify 'ANY' of the prices Apple, Samsung & Google charge for their devices.

Yep for me, if i ever purchase a flagship around its release again its most Likely going to be a OnePlus. Providing their prices stay reasonable of course.

Ok atm it doesn't have the best camera, waterproofing or high res screen but its very existence really does shed a very damming light on the price gouging.

I could be wrong but i don't even think Brexit had an effect on the price of the OnePlus 3.

Reactions: JaySoul and MRU

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Personally i feel Samsung has gone from producing flagships with some of the worst hardware aesthetics to some if not the best looking in the biz. I have a bias for phones that use glass but even still, imo nothing compares to how far they've come from S5 to S6.

I wont lie, in purchasing my S7 Edge the screen and design played a big part but they were secondary to features like the actual OS, phone size etc. I would imagine if your choose the OLED 8 over the S8, you would most likely choose the 7s as well.

This is true, even as an iPhone and over all Apple user (I use iPhone iPad, Apple Watch and Mac) I have to admit that Samsung have stepped up their game when it comes to design, the S7 Edge looks great! It's just the OS of Touchwiz that puts me off. I think Apple will release the 8 with OLED to be in direct competition with Samsung.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
It's unfortunate we have to all get used to higher prices, but I would argue at least with Samsung/Google, you're getting all the marquee features no matter what size flagship you get. Whereas with Apple, you lose out on certain features if you get the smaller and cheaper flagship option.

And if the rumors prove true that Apple will be saving all the best and new features for an even higher tier iPhone this year? Well, that sucks even more.

There should be no difference between flagships other than their screen and battery sizes.

Reactions: MRU

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013

That's slightly more reasonable though. Not saying $800 USD is reasonable for a phone cost. You're spending $ on an "Edge" device since it's standard now. Also including the newer features, Samsung can get away with it better than Apple because Apple is bringing you into 2015.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
That's slightly more reasonable though. Not saying $800 USD is reasonable for a phone cost. You're spending $ on an "Edge" device since it's standard now. Also including the newer features, Samsung can get away with it better than Apple because Apple is bringing you into 2015.

Exactly. Just cause it's new to the iPhone and has to be mass produced, the price goes up. As others have said, it's becoming harder and harder to justify Apple's "premium" prices and practices.

And again, if you want the smaller flagship, you lose out on marquee features. Then if the rumors prove true that there will be a third even higher tier iPhone this year, you might lose marquee features on both the regular and Plus models.

I'm happy to see there are no rumors of such practices from Samsung. I hope they stick to their no-compromise method. I personally think it's great that they're making both models into edge models. I remember some of us last year saying they should just fully commit to the edge screens. I agree.

Reactions: nviz22

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Exactly. Just cause it's new to the iPhone and has to be mass produced, the price goes up. As others have said, it's becoming harder and harder to justify Apple's "premium" prices and practices.

And again, if you want the smaller flagship, you lose out on marquee features. Then if the rumors prove true that there will be a third even higher tier iPhone this year, you might lose marquee features on both the regular and Plus models.

I'm happy to see there are no rumors of such practices from Samsung. I hope they stick to their no-compromise method. I personally think it's great that they're making both models into edge models. I remember some of us last year saying they should just fully commit to the edge screens. I agree.

Apple is doing it because they can get away with it. I know I would never pay full MSRP for their OLED iPhone 8. T-Mobile does offer promotions if you trade in a S7 or something for a free iPhone 7/7+ on bill credit, which would be a reasonable way to get an OLED iPhone, but that kinda forces you into a bloody contract.

MindsEye

macrumors regular
May 3, 2010
This is true, even as an iPhone and over all Apple user (I use iPhone iPad, Apple Watch and Mac) I have to admit that Samsung have stepped up their game when it comes to design, the S7 Edge looks great! It's just the OS of Touchwiz that puts me off. I think Apple will release the 8 with OLED to be in direct competition with Samsung.

Playing around with the S7 Edge these past few days, i feel Touchwiz has come quite far at least from a design standpoint. Granted i was never very outspoken against it, In its marshmallow iteration, from icons to settings, things just look so much more toned down and unobtrusive. Plus i do like that they have a theme store now which has a lot of great themes. I've experienced some lag but overall its been so far so good.

I think the recent rumours regarding price is probably working against Apple more than rumours of features are in their favour. There are some who will look towards switching simply because of that and will not wait for confirmation if something like the S8 is more to their suiting.

Last edited:

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Playing around with the S7 Edge these past few days, i feel Touchwiz has come quite far at least from a design standpoint. Granted i was never very outspoken against it, In its marshmallow iteration, from icons to settings, things just look so much more toned down and unobtrusive. Plus i do like that they have a theme store now which has a lot of great themes. I've experienced some lag but overall its been so far so good.

I think the recent rumours regarding price is probably working against Apple than it is in their favour. There are some who will look towards switching simply because of that and will not wait for confirmation if something like the S8 is more to their suiting.

To be fair it probably has come a long way since I tried it in the S4, I was very disappointed (I went from the iPhone 4s I had at the time to the S4) and I've stayed in the Apple ecosystem ever since, I will say that the Note series has looked great and so has the S7 and S7 Edge, a far more premium look than the days of the plastic back of the S4 and before it. I don't know if they did that in order to try and compete with Apples' iPhone or if it was always in their pipeline.

I do think the price of £1000 seems steep, but it will depend what Apple put into it, if it's just the OLED display then it probably won't be worth it, however if it comes with a better design, wireless charging (not sure how I feel about that) and so on then I think it may be worth it, but Apple have really got to sell it well at the keynote. Also if Samsung are putting up their prices this year, there may not be a big difference.

MindsEye

macrumors regular
May 3, 2010
To be fair it probably has come a long way since I tried it in the S4, I was very disappointed (I went from the iPhone 4s I had at the time to the S4) and I've stayed in the Apple ecosystem ever since, I will say that the Note series has looked great and so has the S7 and S7 Edge, a far more premium look than the days of the plastic back of the S4 and before it. I don't know if they did that in order to try and compete with Apples' iPhone or if it was always in their pipeline.

I do think the price of £1000 seems steep, but it will depend what Apple put into it, if it's just the OLED display then it probably won't be worth it, however if it comes with a better design, wireless charging (not sure how I feel about that) and so on then I think it may be worth it, but Apple have really got to sell it well at the keynote. Also if Samsung are putting up their prices this year, there may not be a big difference.

I don't blame you. Size aside, you went from a phone with a brilliant design to a phone that was a major downgrade in that aspect. I think those were the days when the S would also come with a mid range processor too.

Well on the flipside i guess it all depends on what people are willing to pay and Apple do have a loyal fanbase as evident by the new MBP's. For all the complaints about pricing which are even more warranted, it still sold quite well. Agreed they're already rumours about the Pixel line seeing an increase for the successor and i'll be shocked if we don't see an increase for the S8.

Me personally its out of my budget but if it has what you want and you can pay for it then why not.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dave245

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
I don't blame you. Size aside, you went from a phone with a brilliant design to a phone that was a major downgrade in that aspect. I think those were the days when the S would also come with a mid range processor too.

Well on the flipside i guess it all depends on what people are willing to pay and Apple do have a loyal fanbase as evident by the new MBP's. For all the complaints about pricing which are even more warranted, it still sold quite well. Agreed they're already rumours about the Pixel line seeing an increase for the successor and i'll be shocked if we don't see an increase for the S8.

Me personally its out of my budget but if it has what you want and you can pay for it then why not.

Which midrange processors?

The S2 included a Snapdragon S3 processor. The S3 included a Snapdragon S4 processor. S4: Snapdragon 600 processor. S5: Snapdragon 801 processor. S6: Exynos 7420 octa-core . S7: Snapdragon 820 processor.

For their time, the Galaxy S processors aren't "midrange." A mid-range processor is like a Snapdragon 617 in 2016/2017. The S2 did well against the iPhone at certain points in time. 8 consecutive months in 2011?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...lls-iPhone-4S-Apple-handsets-month-shops.html

tippytap90

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2017

But... OLED screen and it's a thousandth of a second faster? What's $35 per month for the rest of your life...

MindsEye

macrumors regular
May 3, 2010
Which midrange processors?

The S2 included a Snapdragon S3 processor. The S3 included a Snapdragon S4 processor. S4: Snapdragon 600 processor. S5: Snapdragon 801 processor. S6: Exynos 7420 octa-core . S7: Snapdragon 820 processor.

For their time, the Galaxy S processors aren't "midrange." A mid-range processor is like a Snapdragon 617 in 2016/2017. The S2 did well against the iPhone at certain points in time. 8 consecutive months in 2011?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...lls-iPhone-4S-Apple-handsets-month-shops.html

Wasn't the 600 and S4 mid-range? never owned any devices with them but i was always under the impression that Qualcomm never really had a chip they could truly call high end until they introduced the 800 series. I may be totally off base though.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Wasn't the 600 and S4 mid-range? never owned any devices with them but i was always under the impression that Qualcomm never really had a chip they could truly call high end until they introduced the 800 series. I may be totally off base though.

The S4 and S4 pro were flagship processors during 2012. They put the S4 in S3. S4 Pro came in the Nexus 4. The 600 were considered the best at the time when the HTC One M7 and S4 had them. The 800 didn't come later on until the later part of 2013.
[doublepost=1487190964][/doublepost]I decided to roll with a Note 5 I am borrowing from a family member. Time to see how good Touchwiz will be with Nougat.

Reactions: MindsEye

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
No way in hell am I paying anything near £1000 for a phone.

I got this S7 Edge for £300 outright, but I'm comfortable paying up to around £500 if the phone is worth it.

As per usual, I'll wait til August/Sept for the price to come down to a realistic level, then snap up a bargain.

I reckon the smaller S8 will be my next phone assuming it gets good reviews and doesn't explode etc etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.