Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
The prices are mentioned in Ukrainian Hryvnia but they roughly convert to $950 and $1050 for the Galaxy S8 and the Galaxy S8 Plus respectively. If this is really the case, it appears that rumors about Samsung raising the price of its next flagship smartphone have turned out to be true, it may carry at least a $100 premium over the Galaxy S7.

-Sam mobile

grkm3

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2013
The prices are mentioned in Ukrainian Hryvnia but they roughly convert to $950 and $1050 for the Galaxy S8 and the Galaxy S8 Plus respectively. If this is really the case, it appears that rumors about Samsung raising the price of its next flagship smartphone have turned out to be true, it may carry at least a $100 premium over the Galaxy S7.

-Sam mobile

I think base model is now 64gb

lazard

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2012

-Sam mobile

From reddit

Cooldown people, Samsung's flagships have always costed around $1000 here in Ukraine. Samsung also throws in some additional goodies like gearVR or 256gb microSD card.

We have 20% VAT and local certification fee, which results in abnormally-high official price. 1000$ here means that it will be ~700$ in USA.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
I am waiting for a BOGO deal, so the cost will not be so bad for me. I will likely sell the 2nd S8 or just get a friend the S8 and they pay $400 or whatever half the price of a normal device is. I am content to holding onto a Note 5 for the next couple of months. I could also do plan B, Jump on Demand for about $30-$35 a month for a few months to go Galaxy S8 and the iPhone 8 OLED model if the prices are reasonable. I am done paying full MSRP for phones at release.

Reactions: MRU and sartrekid

sartrekid

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2014
Germany
Price wise for 2017 devices whether it be the S8/+ , iPhone 7S/8 , Pixel 2/2XL we are all going to be paying close to €1,000 ..... For me personally it's getting increasingly hard to justify 'ANY' of the prices Apple, Samsung & Google charge for their devices.

We are fleeced by all of them .....

I will get the Samsung S8, however, I'll wait for at least three or so months and save a few hundred dollars rather than buying the device on the day of its release for the reason you mentioned.

Reactions: MRU

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I am waiting for a BOGO deal, so the cost will not be so bad for me. I will likely sell the 2nd S8 or just get a friend the S8 and they pay $400 or whatever half the price of a normal device is. I am content to holding onto a Note 5 for the next couple of months. I could also do plan B, Jump on Demand for about $30-$35 a month for a few months to go Galaxy S8 and the iPhone 8 OLED model if the prices are reasonable. I am done paying full MSRP for phones at release.
I wish BOGO deals existed outside of the USA . We generally pay more for the device this side of the Atlantic and still never get such amazing deals that you get ....

Reactions: JaySoul and nviz22

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
i use about 121GB on my iphone 7 plus..I wonder if 128GB plus SD card support will be enough as really pics and videos is whats taking up the space. got like 5,000 pics.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
i use about 121GB on my iphone 7 plus..I wonder if 128GB plus SD card support will be enough as really pics and videos is whats taking up the space. got like 5,000 pics.
Do you need to carry them with you ? Could you not backup to Google Photos and use it's free space option ?

My 128gb 7 is total overkill storage wise for me. I'm only using around 20.93 GB .....

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Do you need to carry them with you ? Could you not backup to Google Photos and use it's free space option ?

My 128gb 7 is total overkill storage wise for me. I'm only using around 20.93 GB .....
I tried backing them up to google photos but they were all over the place and the albums were not synced properly. I dunno if on samsung if the photo setup makes it the same as with the iphone where it's all in order from date e.t.c

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I tried backing them up to google photos but they were all over the place and the albums were not synced properly. I dunno if on samsung if the photo setup makes it the same as with the iphone where it's all in order from date e.t.c
It should back them up by date. Mine always are.

The only other option would be iCloud photo backup but then you would need to pay £3 per month to get enough extra iCloud storage space.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
It should back them up by date. Mine always are.

The only other option would be iCloud photo backup but then you would need to pay £3 per month to get enough extra iCloud storage space.
will try backing them up again and see how they come out. least if I did go with the S8 plus the option of SD card solves alot of issues and could get away with just the 64GB.

is the icloud type backup for samsung on par with apple or is it still not there yet? wasn't sure if it's all been set up since i had the S7 edge

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
will try backing them up again and see how they come out. least if I did go with the S8 plus the option of SD card solves alot of issues and could get away with just the 64GB.

is the icloud type backup for samsung on par with apple or is it still not there yet? wasn't sure if it's all been set up since i had the S7 edge
No in all honesty the Samsung backup is to be blunt ...
Total

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
ha I feared that. If only it was as smooth as icloud backup. Would be a serious win if it was

I wish Samsung would allow backup to SD. The LG V20 has that, and it works great. Even backs up the apps completely, instead of using Google Play to download them.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California

-Sam mobile
You can never base US pricing on other currencies. It may be close, but things like VAT and tariffs can change the price by hundreds of dollars.

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
C46esxZXAAATUGD.jpg:large

This is going to be a great year for phones! :)

https://twitter.com/evleaks/status/832777592826687489/photo/1

Reactions: v0lume4

mellofello

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2011
S8 looks awkward in the case leaks a bit because the S7/S7E felt more aesthetically fluid. Idk if it's the case or the FP scanner, but the back of the S8 looks a tad bit weird to me.

The G6 looks great though. I wouldn't buy it immediately for fears of bootlooping.

The s7edge and note 7 also looked terrible in cases. There is no way to make the wrap around screen look good in a case. I ran mine naked , and cracked the note 7. I was lucky that they recalled them.

Does anyone else find it incredibly counter intuitive that both Apple , and Samsung are rumored to be raising prices this year? If I didn't have jump on demand, and had to actually buy my phone's outright I would just get a one plus 3t, and call it a day. $430 buys you flagship specs from a bunch of phones, if that hasn't started to erode their sales yet it will very shortly, as the Chinese phones become more available.

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
The s7edge and note 7 also looked terrible in cases. There is no way to make the wrap around screen look good in a case. I ran mine naked , and cracked the note 7. I was lucky that they recalled them.

Does anyone else find it incredibly counter intuitive that both Apple , and Samsung are rumored to be raising prices this year? If I didn't have jump on demand, and had to actually buy my phone's outright I would just get a one plus 3t, and call it a day. $430 buys you flagship specs from a bunch of phones, if that hasn't started to erode their sales yet it will very shortly, as the Chinese phones become more available.
Even the Google Pixel is rumored to see a price bump this year. What!

Before long, the mid-segment phones are going to start flourishing, big league. Phones have become commoditized. If these prices continue to rise, people are going to start realizing "Why am I paying $1000 for a phone no better than a $400 phone?" (like the OnePlus).

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013

Does anyone else find it incredibly counter intuitive that both Apple , and Samsung are rumored to be raising prices this year? If I didn't have jump on demand, and had to actually buy my phone's outright I would just get a one plus 3t, and call it a day. $430 buys you flagship specs from a bunch of phones, if that hasn't started to erode their sales yet it will vekry shortly, as the Chinese phones become more available.
I had the Samsung Note 7 leather slim case, thought it looked quite nice...

https://www.google.co.nz/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GeUlXkTmJPo&ved=0ahUKEwixp4-MkaDSAhWGfrwKHZ2gCKoQwqsBCEcwCw&usg=AFQjCNFkN4m-joBTAMxuUvZSkbQ0jqn9RQ

I'm hearing you on the price thing.
I'll wait until the Note 8 is released and either buy that or buy something from Huawei, Xaomi etc...

Whatever I get will have to be better than "incrementally improved".

Last edited:

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN
'
Real deal?
81b2b3e7fc1026520685d7f825186b99.jpg

Compare to the pic above this, they look identical. If this has s pen support, I'm selling my Note 5. Maybe, the pen will clip on like for the Tab S3? 6.2" screen in S7 edge body! On my Note 7, there was no problem with false touches so I'm optimistic that they solved that.

Last edited:

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
'

Compare to the pic above this, they look identical. If this has s pen support, I'm selling my Note 5. Maybe, the pen will clip on like for the Tab S3? 6.2" screen in S7 edge body! On my Note 7, there was no problem with false touches so I'm optimistic that they solved that.

If it supports the s-pen; it would be built in. They could not make the spen optional as the s-pen itself is actually the inexpensive part. It's the Wacom digitiser which would have to be built into every handset (just on the off chance someone want to get an s-pen) and that would represent a very expensive additional manufacturing cost overall that could only makes sense if they do ship with the spen. Which if it did, I'm sure Samsung would design/build in a holster into the device itself.

Honestly though ...

I don't think we will see s-pen on the S8. For the reasons of the extra manufacturing cost and when consumer don't expect an spen with the S range anyway and therefore 'returned gain fiscally' for Samsung adding that additional cost to the manufacturing.

Samsung need to maximise profit big time this year, and I can not for-see them doing that by adding an additional costs to a product where it wouldn't be needed / or the return on that cost would validate it.

Last edited:

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Total
Have you tried the back in Samsung Smart Switch app?
[doublepost=1487680421][/doublepost]
I wish Samsung would allow backup to SD. The LG V20 has that, and it works great. Even backs up the apps completely, instead of using Google Play to download them.
Have you tried the Samsung Smart switch app?

Cakefish

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2015
Total
Why do you say that? I recently did a full back up using Samsung Cloud and then factory reset my phone. Everything was restored very quickly, the whole process took under an hour. It made the whole thing super easy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.