Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
It's fake, droid life has already posted it.

C5OPd1iVcAEJ3kr.jpg

Nice job debunking. Well done, especially this day and age.
[doublepost=1487774010][/doublepost]
Just three pieces of info I need now: 6gb RAM count in the US T-Mobile model? Is there a BOGO special with T-Mobile, and what is the price of the S8? If it's $800 bogo on EIP with 6gb of RAM, that's perfect because my budget is about $500-600 after bogo special where I split cost with a family member to get us two S8s or I sell my 2nd S8 online.

I'm really hoping the deals are good too, especially after the note 7. It was so nice getting all those bonus goodies last year.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Nice job debunking. Well done, especially this day and age.
[doublepost=1487774010][/doublepost]

I'm really hoping the deals are good too, especially after the note 7. It was so nice getting all those bonus goodies last year.

Well, as nice as 1 yr of Netflix and VR set were, I don't see myself dropping $800 on a phone right away. I got burnt by the iPhone 7+. I wouldn't mind doing a JoD right now on the V20 until the S8 drops, but I am on a Note 5, so the V20 is just a mere stop gap at best.

Reactions: epicrayban

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
The curve of the display looks really minimal. Very much like the Note 7's.

It's still wasted space IMO. I'd much prefer a flat phone with edge to edge screen. That curved part is just wasteful due to glare, optical distortion and difficulty of use. I know it means the phone can be narrower, which I definitely appreciate, but I'd still rather have more usable screen.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Man, T-Mobile has a killer sale: $360 for a brand new S7 and S7 Edge today only. Can be combined with their "tax free" credit promo too. Do I take that or go with the S8? Head says take the S7 for cheaper price while heart says wait for S8 even though it would be more pricey.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
It's still wasted space IMO. I'd much prefer a flat phone with edge to edge screen. That curved part is just wasteful due to glare, optical distortion and difficulty of use. I know it means the phone can be narrower, which I definitely appreciate, but I'd still rather have more usable screen.

That's fair. It is rather usable though. Sliding menus out from the edge feels terrific. And I don't mean TouchWiz's edge features. I mean menus like in the Play Store or other Google apps. I also like the "pop" effect the screen has. The optical distortion really doesn't bother me, especially with edges that are as slight as the Note 7 and hopefully the S8. You really forget about it once you get into the content of your device. I hear your concerns though. The occasional accidental palm touch does occur.

However, you nailed it when you mentioned the dimensions of the phone. That's the real gain.
[doublepost=1487779112][/doublepost]
WOOT! No more Samsung logo!!

Hopefully!

If Samsung doesn't want to risk litigation and wants to label the S8 with their logo on the front, at least make it more discrete. Make it match the color of the device more.
[doublepost=1487779276][/doublepost]
Man, T-Mobile has a killer sale: $360 for a brand new S7 and S7 Edge today only. Can be combined with their "tax free" credit promo too. Do I take that or go with the S8? Head says take the S7 for cheaper price while heart says wait for S8 even though it would be more pricey.

What the heck! That's a great deal. I might even jump on it... and then wait for the Pixel 2 maybe.

They're clearing inventory for the S8, I guess.

Last edited:

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
If Samsung doesn't want to risk litigation and wants to label the S8 with their logo on the front, at least make it more discrete. Make it match the color of the device more.
I don't know it could still be the fear of an Apple litigation at this point in their smartphone design. Samsung was first to market with curved displays......no mistaking the competition in that regard. It is just branding imho....

Reactions: epicrayban

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I would just wait. The S8 won't be much longer now and it will be a lot better.

Reactions: nviz22

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
I wonder if it is the same camera. Has Samsung ever used the same sensor going from one model to the next(not counting S to note)?

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
If the leak is from blass then I'm guessing it's legit.

Bummer on the ram.

But awesome on the 64gb standard storage. For my uses, I may not even need the micro sd card. Always great to have the option if I find I do though.
[doublepost=1487821486][/doublepost]Honestly, a big part of why I'm not jumping on that S7 deal is because of the on screen buttons of the s8. Finally, Samsung. After using the pixel and 3T, I'm positive on screen buttons are better for me. They're dynamic and they're just plain easier to press.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
I told you all so

I am still hoping there is a 6gb RAM model in the western hemisphere. What's the point of the plus besides the bigger screen and battery size? It comes down to how optimized the software is now.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
If the leak is from blass then I'm guessing it's legit.

Bummer on the ram.

But awesome on the 64gb standard storage. For my uses, I may not even need the micro sd card. Always great to have the option if I find I do though.
[doublepost=1487821486][/doublepost]Honestly, a big part of why I'm not jumping on that S7 deal is because of the on screen buttons of the s8. Finally, Samsung. After using the pixel and 3T, I'm positive on screen buttons are better for me. They're dynamic and they're just plain easier to press.
Yeah it is

it's from his tweet. I should i stated really

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
In this photo, it appears that the home button is displayed along with the on-screen display. That must have a purpose. One of my concerns is how I'll turn the phone on when it's laying on my desk -- without having to lift it -- with the fingerprint sensor on the back. I'm curious to see how that is solved.

galaxy-s8-s8-plus.png

https://www.sammobile.com/2017/02/2...-s8-plus-seen-together-with-soft-home-button/

Noticed that too. Should be interesting.

Also, those devices look way bigger/longer than the S7 and edge.

MindsEye

macrumors regular
May 3, 2010
New Exynos 8895 released by Samsung. Sounds promising.

8895vjx15.png
GPU looks like it's going to be an absolute beast. Whether Mali have decent drivers for them is another question but I wonder if it will rule this year in terms of raw power.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.