Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Sure, then what about not having a 2K OLED screen, yet still charging premium prices while giving a recycled design and a HD LCD screen. Sorry, I don't care how much people go on about Apple and it's optimized software. There's just no excuse for asking premium prices for a device that doesn't have premium hardware all around. Nope, none at all. Demand more for your damn money people.

Tradeoffs. A higher res display consumes more power, which means shorter battery life or a thicker, heavier design from a bigger battery.

Maybe we will finally see a higher res display if the next iPhone uses OLED, but as it stands, this is a compromise I am willing to make.

Sevanw

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
Tradeoffs. A higher res display consumes more power, which means shorter battery life or a thicker, heavier design from a bigger battery.

No disrespect, but that argument is more recycled than the iPhone's design. We both know why Apple sticks with an HD LCD display. It's for $$$.
If Apple wants to stick to such a screen, great! No problem. But then, don't be asking a price of what a galaxy S7 Edge is asking with much more expensive hardware. How will it look if Apple only has the OLED screen on the "PREMIUM" version of the upcoming iPhone? What does that say about all the other iPhones with an LCD before it? Get real Apple.

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016
No disrespect, but that argument is more recycled than the iPhone's design. We both know why Apple sticks with an HD LCD display. It's for $$$.
If Apple wants to stick to such a screen, great! No problem. But then, don't be asking a price of what a galaxy S7 Edge is asking with much more expensive hardware. Get real Apple.
Actually the iPhone screen is not that bad (still worse compared to an OLED) but I agree they charge a premium price for what they offer.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
The only thing Apple has that is 2016 caliber is their processor. The rest of the device is either decent at best or mediocre. People can rant and rave about their 1080p LCD panel, but it pales compared to AMOLED. The S7, Pixel XL have better cameras. 3D Touch is nothing but a gimmick.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Here's a live shot of the S8. This thing is gonna be gorgeous.

View attachment 687355

And then a video of the most recent renders released. The renders look accurate, but the live shot above looks even nicer. This is gonna be one of the most premium looking devices ever made.

Interesting leak and renders. I can't wait to see the final versions and in all the available colors.

I sure hope false touches don't become even more of an issue. The screen to body ratio upfront is truly amazing.

msavic

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2014
The only thing Apple has that is 2016 caliber is their processor. The rest of the device is either decent at best or mediocre. People can rant and rave about their 1080p LCD panel, but it pales compared to AMOLED. The S7, Pixel XL have better cameras. 3D Touch is nothing but a gimmick.

The one thing the Android manufacturers do well is camera hardware. It's not even a competition, the iPhone is still at 1/3" inch sensor while there are android devices with 1/2.5 and larger sensors.
The one thing a lot of Android manufacturers don't do well is image processing, Samsung, HTC and Sony all have either overly aggressive processing or other weird behaviour.

The only android smartphone I would say that has good image processing is the Google Pixel and that's a result of Google's outstanding ability to produce efficient algorithms. It is a bit of software trickery as multiple images are layered to improve dynamic range and reduce noise but the end result looks good and the delay is minimal.

The company that disappoints me the most is Sony, they have plenty of experience with image processing and are capable of doing proper image processing with limited processing power as they do in the RX100 line up. They just don't seem interested in transferring that knowledge to their smartphones.

One thing I've always looked forward to was the potential of a camera manufacturer teaming up with a smartphone manufacturer and handling all aspects of the camera. Not like the Leica partnership Huawei has which was nothing more than a sticker on the lens but a true ground up hardware and software design.

Cakefish

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2015
My first ever phone was Galaxy S2 in 2011 which was a great entry point to the smartphone world. Then, after owning multiple generations of non-Samsung phones I came back full circle with the launch of the Galaxy S7. I do not think I'll be getting the S8.

Firstly, the placement of the fingerprint scanner in the leaks of the S8 really puts me off. Far too easy to smudge up the camera lens and just doesn't seem as natural a position as in the centre of the phone would be. Not a fan.

Secondly, Samsung's update policy has burned me. I fully contributed to their Nougat beta with my unlocked phone, submitting many bug reports and feature suggestions. I was rewarded for this by... being left abandoned on said unstable software for two months and counting.

Unless the leaks with the awkward fingerprint scanner location prove false and Samsung manage to redeem themselves in my eyes with software support for my unlocked S7 (can't see this happening), I think Samsung has lost me as a customer for 2017.

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016
My first ever phone was Galaxy S2 in 2011 which was a great entry point to the smartphone world. Then, after owning multiple generations of non-Samsung phones I came back full circle with the launch of the Galaxy S7. I do not think I'll be getting the S8.

Firstly, the placement of the fingerprint scanner in the leaks of the S8 really puts me off. Far too easy to smudge up the camera lens and just doesn't seem as natural a position as in the centre of the phone would be. Not a fan.

Secondly, Samsung's update policy has burned me. I fully contributed to their Nougat beta with my unlocked phone, submitting many bug reports and feature suggestions. I was rewarded for this by... being left abandoned on said unstable software for two months and counting.

Unless the leaks with the awkward fingerprint scanner location prove false and Samsung manage to redeem themselves in my eyes with software support for my unlocked S7 (can't see this happening), I think Samsung has lost me as a customer for 2017.
They may be putting the fingerprint scanner on back just to push the iris scanner as the new technology. I also don't agree with the fingerprint scanner position on the leaks but who knows maybe Samsung will add it on the screen also? I hope so.

Cakefish

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2015
They may be putting the fingerprint scanner on back just to push the iris scanner as the new technology. I also don't agree with the fingerprint scanner position on the leaks but who knows maybe Samsung will add it on the screen also? I hope so.

Iris scanner is inferior for me as I wear glasses 24/7 which will inevitably interfere with the scanner's function in some scenarios. Just place the fingerprint scanner in the middle like the Pixel or Huawei phones and it'd be perfect.

I could probably forgive Samsung for botching the Nougat update for the S7 (as many other OEMs have also done so) if these leaks prove false and the fingerprint scanner is centrally located :)

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013

Honestly, if software updates are important to you, Samsung is never the way to go. The best Android software experience, at least to me, is the Pixel XL. If you want front facing stereo speakers, look to the HTC 11. I want the S8, but Samsung has to prove to me that their battery issues were just a one time thing and that they improved the software experience.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Honestly, if software updates are important to you, Samsung is never the way to go. The best Android software experience, at least to me, is the Pixel XL. If you want front facing stereo speakers, look to the HTC 11. I want the S8, but Samsung has to prove to me that their battery issues were just a one time thing and that they improved the software experience.
My thoughts too....not really liking the FR scanner location from the leaks. But will give it more time to see how it all plays out. Fast software updates and Samsung will never be a synonymous thing.

Reactions: nviz22

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008

Agree with all of that but frankly hardly anyone except us actually cares.

99% of iPhone users probably don't care about specs - they care about price, yes, because it keeps going up. But assuming they get a new one every couple of years, I'm guessing they are generally happy.

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
Iris scanner is inferior for me as I wear glasses 24/7 which will inevitably interfere with the scanner's function in some scenarios. Just place the fingerprint scanner in the middle like the Pixel or Huawei phones and it'd be perfect.

I could probably forgive Samsung for botching the Nougat update for the S7 (as many other OEMs have also done so) if these leaks prove false and the fingerprint scanner is centrally located :)

I love the S7 a lot as well, easily one of the best phones on the market to this day almost a year later from it's initial release, but its too soon to say if this awkward rear finger print scanner is the main way we will unlock the phone with the S8

There is still a chance they have the primary finger print reader in the screen, in which case it would be even superior to the button scanners (presuming it works how I imagine it would in my head :p)

On the flip side, if after samsung reveals the phone that it does indeed prove to be the new finger print scanner then I will share your sentiments...and wait for the S9 they inevitably get right the same way they did with the S7 over the S6 ;)

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Agree with all of that but frankly hardly anyone except us actually cares.

99% of iPhone users probably don't care about specs - they care about price, yes, because it keeps going up. But assuming they get a new one every couple of years, I'm guessing they are generally happy.

iPhone price flexibility is so ubiquitous. 2 yr contracts, monthly installment plans, trade in promos, etc. If you want a HTC 10 or Sony Z5, you're SOL on that front with price flexibility. Just your basics isn't enough.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
I might end up sharing cakefish's sentiments then :(..

Honestly, Cakefish and you should try out the Galaxy S8 on display at a nearby store. It won't hurt at all because only you can tell how ergonomically efficient a device is in your physical presence. I personally dislike their FP location, but I can get used to it myself because of muscle memory and habits. To each their own, but 2017 will be filled with great phones. If you want the pure Android experience, the Pixel 2 XL is there. If you want a budget device, the OnePlus 4 is several months away. If you want a device for the bare minimum, the Moto G5 Plus seems to be good with NFC/FP Scanner/1080p display/Snapdragon processor/2 or more GBs of RAM/etc. If you want a premium no frills Android, the HTC 11 would be a welcomed addition as a daily driver.

shyam09

macrumors 68020
Oct 31, 2010
There is still a chance they have the primary finger print reader in the screen, in which case it would be even superior to the button scanners (presuming it works how I imagine it would in my head :p)
I want to see them doing this for the Note line (not sure if they will continue or rebrand or do what with it given that the S8 is going to be a beast of phones in terms of screen size). I think re-establishing the Note as a premium flagship device with better features than the S8 would help offset the Note 7 batterygate damages. But with all this buzz about the S8 / S8+, I'm salivating over what the Note line might turn out to be.

Reactions: nordique

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
That leaked S8 photo? Fake.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/A-new-live-shot-of-the-Samsung-Galaxy-S8-appears_id90789

UPDATE: Upon further inspection, it is looking like the image is a fake. As noticed by the guys TechTastic, there are signs suggesting that the image may have been doctored. Sorry about that.

I still believe the schematics are accurate. I think those holding out for Samsung to surprise us with a front facing FPS will be disappointed. For better or worse, it's in the back, and it's going to be off centered.

Reactions: jamezr and MRU

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
These renders don't look bad.....
Galaxy-S8-Render-Concept-980x671.jpg

http://www.droid-life.com/2017/01/30/opinion-galaxy-s8-fingerprint-dumb/

Reactions: MRU

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Reactions: tbayrgs and jamezr

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
It would be nice if Samsung went with all black front and just colour on back / sides like those render.

Sadly the bezel would be same colour as back so wont look quite as clean in reality, and I still expect to see the Samsung logo squeezed on the front for us.
knowing Samsung you are probably right. If the logo is not on the bezel....maybe on the screen? :-(

Reactions: MRU
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.