Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I'm guessing the extra space on the display will be for navigation keys. This way, the navigation keys aren't using up valuable screen real estate. It would be nice to have navigation keys not shown as an overlay on the actual content.

I've always said even long time ago when the debate on hardware/capacitive keys vs on-screen software keys raged on that that's what they should do. Just have a dedicated portion of the screen for software keys that wouldn't overlap the actual content.

Software keys are SO much better than hardware keys.

frankgrimes

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2016
I've always said even long time ago when the debate on hardware/capacitive keys vs on-screen software keys raged on that that's what they should do. Just have a dedicated portion of the screen for software keys that wouldn't overlap the actual content.

Software keys are SO much better than hardware keys.

Hardly because I need to feel my buttons, would have prefered if Samsung had all three buttons being physical ones. But I guess with their new design they'll find some creative way to implement the functions wheter that's practical or not is another question.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
So a little bit more on this Univisium display trend. Sounds like they're attempting to future-proof and continuing the trend of fitting larger screens into small bodies.

Not many people batted an eye when Apple had its weird display ratios. Now, LG and Samsung are doing something similar, but with better reason and better effect. I'm totally excited about keeping the S8 similar to the S7 size. Hope it's true.

So, what is this 18:9 Univisium display ratio that LG G6 and Galaxy S8 may land with?

http://www.phonearena.com/news/So-w...hat-LG-G6-and-Galaxy-S8-may-land-with_id90593

With more and more Netflix and other movies shot in the 2:1 Univisium format, phones like the Galaxy S8 and LG G6 may embrace the up-and-coming 18:9 aspect ratio for their displays, fitting more scene in the frame, and allowing for taller, narrower devices, plus better split-screen multitasking with Nougat.

THE NEW 18:9 ASPECT RATIO REPRESENTS LG DISPLAY’S DIRECTION ON HOW DISPLAYS SHOULD EVOLVE, WHILE MEETING THE RISING TREND FOR WATCHING VIDEOS ON SMARTPHONES.

Reactions: v0lume4

sman789

Customer Support
Staff member
Dec 25, 2007
Richmond, VA
18:9 will also leave space for the nav buttons at the bottom. The complaints that those buttons eat up valuable real estate are no longer valid ;).

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
18:9 will also leave space for the nav buttons at the bottom. The complaints that those buttons eat up valuable real estate are no longer valid ;).

Hopefully! I've always said this is how on-screen software keys should be, too.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
However when watching videos they would disappear anyway, so what will replace the blank space that the 16:9 content doesn't fill.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I am excited about the LTE tech involved here. Since Samsung helped designed the 835 processor, perhaps it actually works better with Samsung devices as well? They already put 256 QAM in the T-Mobile S7 and S7E.

AT&T is going in with LTE-A/"5G."
http://phandroid.com/2017/02/01/att-5g-rollout-austin-indianapolis/

Another reason why the iPhone will be slower than the S8.

Slower?

Can't imagine the iPhone ever being slower than a Samsung device. Performance is one thing that iPhone can't be beat at

shyam09

macrumors 68020
Oct 31, 2010
Hardly because I need to feel my buttons, would have prefered if Samsung had all three buttons being physical ones. But I guess with their new design they'll find some creative way to implement the functions wheter that's practical or not is another question.
I also want them to do something beyond the Pixel's move shortcuts stuff.

But looking at the design, maybe they'll just stick to the normal design with capacitive touch on the bottom bezel?

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Antenna wise, it gets worst reception too. Hopefully that will change with the 8 since Apple is most likely going back to all glass.

That as well. Other people (I7Guy) swear by the iPhone and its magic. I can't wait to move on even though at the expense of better apps and iMessaging.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
That as well. Other people (I7Guy) swear by the iPhone and its magic. I can't wait to move on even though at the expense of better apps and iMessaging.
There is a lot of subjectivity in all of this with each having their own use cases as to why one phone or another is better.

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016
Maybe it's coming with a force touch screen instead of the virtual buttons? I hope so!

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
No but 4x4 MIMO and 256 QAM offer a good boost of speed.

That might be something the tech fanboys would love, but I'll settle for 100% reliable 3-way calling every time.

Just had to do this repeatedly today and the 6s handled it beautifully (w/Verizon). If Samsung and Pixel phones do the same, that is more important than the absolutely fastest LTE speeds.

(3-way calling on android phones is an unknown to me)

Last edited:

spriter

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2004
Hmmm that offset finger scanner seems more likely...

3e111f6d5f5f9cbdf9697bb5d9db8b49.jpg

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Case...nfirm-placement-of-fingerprint-reader_id90727

Samsung have had a good run with design in recent years but if this is the final design I'm out. They should redesign the whole device next time to move the camera module if they want a rear finger print scanner.

Reactions: MRU

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Case...nfirm-placement-of-fingerprint-reader_id90727

Samsung have had a good run with design in recent years but if this is the final design I'm out. They should redesign the whole device next time to move the camera module if they want a rear finger print scanner.
For me...if this is true then it is a fail on Samsung's part. Move the FP below the camera and make it round :)
Like the Pixel, Huawei and LG phones have had for years.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
For me...if this is true then it is a fail on Samsung's part. Move the FP below the camera and make it round :)
Like the Pixel, Huawei and LG phones have had for years.

Yeah, it would make more sense and more ergonomic. But at this stage probably too late for any change if Samsung have decided that's where it will be.

Nice to have you back

Reactions: v0lume4 and jamezr

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Samsung definitely losing some presence in BB stores. The folks commanding that allotted area are dwindling as there have been layoffs. They are contracted employees and mostly part timers going to school as well.

Maybe it will be ramped up closer to release but I guess we will see.

Reactions: jamezr

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009

I'll give it the benefit of doubt. being that Galaxy phones are thinner than other phones with similar sized displays. And given the display is going to cover damn near the whole front, it's likely most users will not hold their phone the same way they do with a front home button and/or big bezels.

Holding the LG V20 in my hand, it's actually not a problem placing my right index finger on the right side on the camera, and placing my left index finger feels natural. And the V20 is taller than the iPhone 7 Plus.

So I don't think the placement of the finger sensor is going to be an issue, unless you have really small hands with short fingers.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I'll give it the benefit of doubt. being that Galaxy phones are thinner than other phones with similar sized displays. And given the display is going to cover damn near the whole front, it's likely most users will not hold their phone the same way they do with a front home button and/or big bezels.

Holding the LG V20 in my hand, it's actually not a problem placing my right index finger on the right side on the camera, and placing my left index finger feels natural. And the V20 is taller than the iPhone 7 Plus.

So I don't think the placement of the finger sensor is going to be an issue, unless you have really small hands with short fingers.
I dunno. I tried simulating the fingerprint sensor placement on my iPhone and it just felt awkward regardless of which hand I used.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I dunno. I tried simulating the fingerprint sensor placement on my iPhone and it just felt awkward regardless of which hand I used.

Same on my Pixel. Felt better (just about manageable but unnatural) in left hand, but held in right hand it was really awkward placement.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Same on my Pixel. Felt better (just about manageable but unnatural) in left hand, but held in tight it was really awkward placement.

That. Basically, I felt I had to exert some effort to lift up the second finger of my left hand to reach the sensor. Which I imagine might get tiring fast if done multiple times.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.