Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
How could the smaller 5.8" version possibly be near the same size as the S7 even with the edge display? The edge can't account for .7 inches can it?

The smaller S8 has got to be bigger in size than the smaller S7, right?

Reactions: MRU

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
How could the smaller 5.8" version possibly be near the same size as the S7 even with the edge display? The edge can't account for .7 inches can it?

The smaller S8 has got to be bigger in size than the smaller S7, right?
It's not, it will be much bigger. The point I made above was to the query as to why 5.8 & 6.2 as they are so close in size that there wouldn't be much difference.

So I used the current S7 & S7E which are the same .4 difference but one is noticeably larger as an example.

The 5.8" S8 even edgeless will of course (unless they have change the aspect ratio) be at least wider (even if it's less tall) than the S7E current at 5.5" edgeless and of course the 6.2 will be wider again.

TBH they are freezing a lot of potential users out with such sizes ...

Why they didn't produce a reduced dimension version with a 5-5.1" seems like they are missing a trick. Or perhaps they are forcing those users who want smaller sized screen to settle on a overpriced A5 ...

Last edited:

grkm3

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2013
give me a 5.2 screen with the smallest bezels and 3300mah battery.

if I wanted a phablet with a huge screen I have so many choices and wtf is the reason of making so many bigger phones with all the screens so close in size.

it's not rocket science Samsung.

5.1-2 gs*
5.7-8 gs* plus
6.1-2 note *

they should also make edge versions of each because most people don't want an edge and prefer flat.

I bought a gs7 edge and returned it for a gs7 the next day.

not everyone wants a brick in there hands also.i miss the days of true one handed use laying down in bed with the gs4 using my thumb and middle finger to hold the phone up and my index finger being able to do 90% of the tasked I was trying to do.

try that now and it will fall and hit your face lol

Last edited:
Reactions: epicrayban and MRU

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
give me a 5.2 screen with the smallest bezels and 3300mah battery.

if I wanted a phablet with a huge screen I have so many choices and wtf is the reason of making so many bigger phones with all the screens so close in size.

it's not rocket science Samsung.

5.1-2 gs7
5.7-8 gs7 plus
6.1-2 note
Yep. 5.8 & 6.2 are too big for me to use as a daily. I appreciate many will like bigger, but I honestly suspect just as many users would be put off.

Anecdotally I see far more Galaxy S6 & S7's in the wild than either the S6E or S7E, and I haven't seen a Note device in the wild in quite an age (given Note 4 was last that launched here).

Reactions: grkm3

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
It's not, it will be much bigger. The point I made above was to the query as to why 5.8 & 6.2 as they are so close in size that there wouldn't be much difference.

So I used the current S7 & S7E which are the same .4 difference but one is noticeably larger as an example.

The 5.8" S8 even edgeless will of course (unless they have change the aspect ratio) be at least wider (even if it's less tall) than the S7E current at 5.5" edgeless and of course the 6.2 will be wider again.

TBH they are freezing a lot of potential users out with such sizes ...

Why they didn't produce a reduced dimension version with a 5-5.1" seems like they are missing a trick. Or perhaps they are forcing those users who want smaller sized screen to settle on a overpriced A5 ...

Agree. I was hoping when the rumors surfaced of both the smaller and larger Galaxy devices getting edge screens, it just meant the physical size would be close to what the S7 currently is... just with edge screens. Heck, I thought if anything, it might be a tiny bit smaller since 5.1" with edge/wrap-around screen could fit into a smaller body than a flat 5.1" screen.

We shall see, I guess.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
wonder why samsung decided on 5.8 and 6.2? very close together.

I wonder too.

I'm not too enthused about it...whether that makes the s8 too big for me, we'll have to see.

But it's not the first time I've looked at a Samsung product, and it looked good on first and second glances and then discoveed a detail which ruined it for me.

I don't care if the s8 is crammed full of goodies...if it's too wide, it's off the list.

Last edited:

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
I think Samsung is releasing a S8 with a front sided fp scanner and a smaller screen. They can't make another huge mistake after an abysmal Note 7 window.

Reactions: LIVEFRMNYC and MRU

Djilkosh

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2016
Serbia
Bigger batteries

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Sams...ry-packs-may-go-into-Galaxy-S8S8-Plus_id90544

https://www.sammobile.com/2017/01/3...-the-galaxy-s8-could-sport-a-3250mah-battery/

The Samsung Galaxy S8 and S8 Plus battery capacities are claimed to be 3000 mAh and 3500 mAh, respectively, by the reputable rumormonger Evan Blass. This jibes with the notion that the phones will be barely larger than the Galaxy S7 and S7 edge, despite the wrappable 5.8" and 6.2" displays, on account of the thinned out top and bottom bezels, hence similar battery capacities. A new report out of Korea, however, tips that a Samsung battery supplier roadmap includes batteries with similar dimensions, but carrying 3250 mAh and 3750 mAh capacities.
The source claims that these two units might be going in the Galaxy S8 and S8 Plus, but adds that the battery specifications like final capacity can be corrected any time if Samsung needs to do so. Given the Note 7 drama, Samsung will probably be rather conservative with the battery density of the S8 and S8 Plus, so we find it a bit hard to imagine it will go for a higher capacity pack in the same footprint.
Moreover, the S8 will sport a frugal 10nm chipset, and a new, hopefully more power-sipping screen, so an increase in battery life can be achieved by less electron-hungry components, instead of simply bumping the battery juice.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
. This jibes with the notion that the phones will be barely larger than the Galaxy S7 and S7 edge, despite the wrappable 5.8" and 6.2" displays, on account of the thinned out top and bottom bezels, hence similar battery capacities.

Whilst I suspect the height of the devices may be similar to the S7E current on the 5.8" model, unless Samsung have changed aspect ratio there is no logical or physical way to go from 5.5" on the S7E to 5.8" and not have the screen bigger and more importantly .3" wider. The 6.2" will be .7" wider at least .... So whilst overall dimensions may be similar, they are still wider. This may allow bigger cell battery ...

There are some here though who are painting the picture that the 5.8" S8 will somehow magically fit into same dimensions as the current S7 because they have made the top and bottom bezels smaller. But that just an logical and physical impossibility.

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
I cant go back to a 5.2, I tried with the Honor 8 and it was just too small for me

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Render based on Evan Bass' leak: http://www.phonearena.com/news/Unof...on-Blass-leaked-image-of-the-flagship_id90522

Unofficial-Galaxy-S8-render-by-Benjamin-Geskin-based-on....jpg

I am LOVING the front. If they decide not to go with a front facing FPS, I can live with that if it means this truly massive clean front in hopefully a manageable size.

The back is more or less the same; just the odd fingerprint placement may take getting used to. I fear its position might be problematic mostly for the larger device. Will it be hard to reach? Will eye scanner work so well that we forgive this odd placement? Not sure.

Also to note, the dedicated Bixby/assistant button being so near the volume rockers may be kind of weird.

Again, love the front. I really hope it remains logo-less.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
^ Yeah I doubt non Korean model will get away without the Samsung logo sadly.

Still not convinced on the idea of bixby given Google Assistant now starting to make its way to non pixel devices such as HTC evo, LG G6 and wider in 2017. Not sure that a voice assistant really needs a dedicated button either. A button to initiate an assistant who you speak to mostly seems needless ... What's wrong with Hey Bixby or long press of back or recent button ?

Last edited:
Reactions: epicrayban

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
^ Yeah I doubt non Korean model will get away without the Samsung logo sadly.

Still not convinced on the idea of bixby given Google Assistant now starting to make its way to non pixel devices such as HTC evo, LG G6 and wider in 2017. Not sure that a voice assistant really needs a dedicated button either. A button to initiate an assistant who you speak to mostly seems needless ... What's wrong with Hey Bixby or long press of back or recent button ?

Well, if there is a logo, it'll have to be small. ANd hopefully, it'll be similarly shaded to the device's color.

But I do hope and wish Samsung would just have the guts to trust their design and keep it logo-less. They were the first to edge screens -- certainly first for a popular/mainstream device. They should be the ones suing others for copying their trend. What do they have to fear now? Apple won't be suing them over the front design. Ain't nobody confusing the S8 for any iPhone.

Of course, my understanding of smartphone legality is limited. So who knows. I just want and hope it's as clean of an aesthetic as that render.
[doublepost=1485880168][/doublepost]Here are more renders: http://www.phonearena.com/news/Rend...-renders-concepts-and-design-mock-ups_id90516

The first two are the best, IMO. I really hope the blue one comes to fruition. This year, I'm thinking either all back for the sleek look, or a really bold blue.

Last edited:
Reactions: MRU and v0lume4

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I think Samsung is releasing a S8 with a front sided fp scanner and a smaller screen. They can't make another huge mistake after an abysmal Note 7 window.
but so far there's no rumours for this

same with the new iPhone the OLED model with new design is for 5.8 inch device

for me thats great but for those who want smaller? not great.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Well, if there is a logo, it'll have to be small. ANd hopefully, it'll be similarly shaded to the device's color.

But I do hope and wish Samsung would just have the guts to trust their design and keep it logo-less. They were the first to edge screens -- certainly first for a popular/mainstream device. They should be the ones suing others for copying their trend. What do they have to fear now? Apple won't be suing them over the front design. Ain't nobody confusing the S8 for any iPhone.

Of course, my understanding of smartphone legality is limited. So who knows. I just want and hope it's as clean of an aesthetic as that render.

First, based on a closer examination of the leaked images, I think the bezels on the render are too small comparably. Look at the right edge of the leaked images--specifically where the frame starts to curve and you can make out the bezel line a bit further away from the top/bottom edges, closer to the point where the frame starts to curve. There are still quite minimal but still slightly bigger.

The only reason I bring this up is because squeezing a logo into those bezels becomes a bit more doable--anyone remember this atrocity from Verizon? :eek: Where there's a will, there's a way. ;)

IMG_0100.JPG
And second, I agree with @epicrayban, Samsung needs to just have faith in their design...the curved edge style is uniquely theirs and IS the brand. Leave the company logo on the back and resist the urge to muddle the beautiful, clean front design.

Reactions: epicrayban and MRU

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
I read this dreadful rumor the other day (can't find the source now, I'm sorry!) that said that the bottom bit of the screen will be hardcoded to display "Samsung". I truly hope that it was a joke that caught traction and not reality. What a bonehead decision if true.

Whilst I suspect the height of the devices may be similar to the S7E current on the 5.8" model, unless Samsung have changed aspect ratio ...
http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s8s_unusual_screen_resolution_revealed-news-23030.php

"Now a new rumor from China says the Galaxy S8's screen will have 2,960x1,440 resolution, and this fits perfectly with yesterday's report which said the next Samsung flagship will have the even more unusual 18.5:9 aspect ratio."

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I read this dreadful rumor the other day (can't find the source now, I'm sorry!) that said that the bottom bit of the screen will be hardcoded to display "Samsung". I truly hope that it was a joke that caught traction and not reality. What a bonehead decision if true.

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s8s_unusual_screen_resolution_revealed-news-23030.php

"Now a new rumor from China says the Galaxy S8's screen will have 2,960x1,440 resolution, and this fits perfectly with yesterday's report which said the next Samsung flagship will have the even more unusual 18.5:9 aspect ratio."

Going to be interesting to see how media content which is mostly 16:9 will scale to that (borders left and right like 4:3 content now) ... will it make extra space the size affords redundant ?

Going to be a strange year aspect ratio wise with LG G6 rumoured to be 21:9 too ....

Reactions: v0lume4

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
Going to be interesting to see how media content which is mostly 16:9 will scale to that (borders left and right like 4:3 content now) ... will it make extra space the size affords redundant ?

Going to be a strange year aspect ratio wise with LG G6 rumoured to be 21:9 too ....
Oh no. I didn't even consider the impact of viewing 16:9 media on a different aspect ratio. What a waste of space if we have to go back to the letterboxed days. :oops:

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
I am curious with their size versus my Mate 9.

A good design is nice but with the prices flagship smartphones are commanding nowadays they had better be up to snuff with performance, battery life, etc.

I played with a Mate 9 at Best Buy yesterday and was absolutely astonished at how much screen was in that small footprint. Now, I'm used to the size of my 7+ as my daily driver, but man, I'd love to have a larger screen in this footprint...

sorry for the OT, back to GS8 talk now :p

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Oh no. I didn't even consider the impact of viewing 16:9 media on a different aspect ratio. What a waste of space if we have to go back to the letterboxed days. :oops:

Yeah, when you consider most of the streaming stuff like amazon, youtube and netflix are all 16:9 .. It's a perplexing decision given you know 100% they will push the media viewing aspect of the device heavily at launch.

Sevanw

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
I love the idea of a dedicated button for Bixby. I never have my phone always listening. I have to unlock my phone and go into Google Voice to do my queries. But if I can just go straight away to Bixby with a button, awesome.

Reactions: Tsepz

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
I love the idea of a dedicated button for Bixby. I never have my phone always listening. I have to unlock my phone and go into Google Voice to do my queries. But if I can just go straight away to Bixby with a button, awesome.
Same here. The whole thing of my phone constantly listening is lost on me. Rather it be activated when I need it to be activated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.