Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slingshott

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2017
No Samsung logo is a plus but why put the scanner there? My paw prints would be all over the camera within hours.

Reactions: JaySoul

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Another thing I'm worried about are the new screen sizes.

5.8" would be the smaller one? I wonder what the form factor will be. There were rumors that said they'd remain relatively the same size as the current S7/S7E respectively, but can a 5.8" screen really fit into the body of an S7?

Samsung is one of, if not, the leader of large screen sizes in ergonomically small form factors, so I have faith, but the laws of physics just makes it hard for me to believe.

I think both devices will likely get larger.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Isn't the 6GB of RAM a factor in why the 3T sometimes outperforms and feels faster than the Pixel?

Otherwise, I agree with you.
No, it's more likely the CPU which is faster has a more tangible impact. Remember the pixels CPU is an under clocked 821 whereas the OP3T is running its full capacity.

Remember although OnePlus updated the OS if you look at the buildprop, the limiter is still not allowing full 6gb usage, the limiter is set to the same as the buildprop in 4gb devices, so it's likely not ever using the 6gb .... At least the adjusted limiter on the OP3T is a lot higher than it was originally with the launch of the OP3 which had its limit akin to 3gb devices ...

Reactions: epicrayban

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
No, it's more likely the CPU which is faster has a more tangible impact. Remember the pixels CPU is under clocked whereas the OP3T is running its full capacity.

Remember although OnePlus updated the OS if you look at the buildprop, the limiter is still not allowing full 6gb usage, the limiter is set to the same as the buildprop in 4gb devices, so it's likely not ever using the 6gb .... At least the adjusted limiter is a lot higher than it was originally with the launch of the OP3T which had its limit akin to 3gb devices ...

Ah.

Then more apps not needing to refresh? VR? More intensive games? I don't particularly need 6GB, just feels more future-proof. :)

Reactions: LIVEFRMNYC and MRU

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I assume they are going with on-screen buttons ? Surely they are not putting capacitive buttons in that tiny bottom bezel. I already got plenty of accidental taps on the back button as is .... Gripping it in horizontal would be a nightmare if you had to dodge capacitive buttons too ...

Reactions: epicrayban

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I assume they are going with on-screen buttons ? Surely they are not putting capacitive buttons in that tiny bottom bezel. I already got plenty of accidental taps on the back button as is .... Gripping it in horizontal would be a nightmare if you had to dodge capacitive buttons too ...

100% this. I think it's on-screen time.

I've always preferred on screen buttons. Using a physical button and the capacitive buttons on the S6 feels crap compared to what I got used to with the 3T/Pixel.

[doublepost=1485466616][/doublepost]How the heck are you going to reach the back fingerprint sensor on the larger S8 if it's that high?

Reactions: MRU

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
You guys forgot iris scanner? It is not need to put finger always to scan.

And aspect ratio 18.5:9, no more 16:9

Well, unless any of my frequently used apps that utilize fingerprint scanner (i.e. Banking, 1Password, Samsung or Android Pay) are able to adopt iris scanning instead for security, it is a big deal.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
I'll wait for the reviews before rendering judgement. April is a long wait...but nothing to do about it.

Djilkosh

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2016
Serbia
Maybe this scanner next to the camera is heart rate scanner?

I still belive it is going to be under display with some fancy 3D pressure sensor in lower part.

spriter

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2004
Maybe this scanner next to the camera is heart rate scanner?

I still belive it is going to be under display with some fancy 3D pressure sensor in lower part.

They already had a neat idea with the heart rate scanner in the flash module. I didn't use it much but it was a slick place to put it. Don't see why they'd go backwards to this design.

The logo will no doubt appear on retail models. No branding on prototypes and test devices is common. Unless it's the Chinese variant.

grkm3

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2013
Samsung is making a mistake on screen sizes.i used a galaxy s4 the other day and that cell was the best size.you can easily use it one handed.

why are the getting bigger and bigger.bring back the gs4 size and make it a 5.1 please

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Samsung is making a mistake on screen sizes.i used a galaxy s4 the other day and that cell was the best size.you can easily use it one handed.

why are the getting bigger and bigger.bring back the gs4 size and make it a 5.1 please
Size of the phone is remaining the same, it is the screen that is getting bigger.

Reactions: JaySoul

kkh786

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2013
United Kingdom
Lol .... sad but very often true

With my new years' resolution and getting the Pixel.. I hope to change phones less often this year than previous years!
But to be honest.. I know I will be getting/trying the new iPhone and the new Pixel.. but the rest of the upcoming phones I will try my best to resist.
I am looking forward to a "Pixel Watch" though.. hopefully it turns out better than those recent LG rumours!

(Apologies for going off topic!)

Reactions: MRU

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
"Future proof" on this forum is hilarious, most of us go through 3-8 phones a year :D:D:D:D:D

"I am buying this phone in April, I HOPE IT LASTS TIL JUNE"

Reactions: epicrayban and MRU

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
So slapgear had an article saying the S8 both versions may ship with an S-Pen, which raises question if they are going with a Note 8 6 months later, how will it differentiate ?

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
The Evleaks guy is really confident in that photo. I am not. I think the rumors of a 5.8" screen and 6.2" screen are bs. Samsung can't dismiss the people who want a smaller screen size. 4GB of RAM? That's also probably BS as well. I will be quite disappointed if it doesn't have at least 6GB because that's how the market is heading. The logo doesn't seem to say "Samsung" at the back properly. It looks like a poor mockup tbh.

Reactions: LIVEFRMNYC

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
The Evleaks guy is really confident in that photo. I am not. I think the rumors of a 5.8" screen and 6.2" screen are bs. Samsung can't dismiss the people who want a smaller screen size. 4GB of RAM? That's also probably BS as well. I will be quite disappointed if it doesn't have at least 6GB because that's how the market is heading. The logo doesn't seem to say "Samsung" at the back properly. It looks like a poor mockup tbh.

I'm still hoping for the finger sensor on the display. And YES, 4GB of RAM sounds fishy when Samsung's C9 Pro already has 6GB, OP3 has 6GB, several phones from Xiaomi, and etc.

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
That scanner is just horrible, it looks like the home button recycled for the back and turned sideways. It is also high and not centered, it should be like Hauwei or similar scanners. I can see the camera lens gtting smudged constantly with this design.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Samsung are definitely missing a trick not having a smaller screen model that is high end like the iPhone SE.
Sure, the SE isn't majorly powerful, but its got very good internals.

Working at CPW I sell loads and loads of SE's.

I definitely think a smaller Samsung would sell just as well, there is definitely a big market of people who are not here for larger phones, no matter how small the bezel is.

One thing I will say though (going off topic) Samsung kill it with their low end devices. The J3 and J5 absolutely fly out. I don't think I've gone a shift there yet (and I only do part time 15 hours) where I haven't seen one being sold. Crazy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.