Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yui4

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2011
S8+ battery usage.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170710-003622.png
    Screenshot_20170710-003622.png
    54 KB · Views: 125

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2007
Hey guys,

My S8 has finally arrived! I used the Samsung Smart Switch app (USB hook-up) to transfer stuff from my iPhone to my new S8. It went pretty smoothly. Since then I've figured most things out on my own but could use some help (please) with this issue: the Calendar.

I noticed that the Google Calendar app on the S8 did not have most of the events that were on my iPhone's Fantastical 2 calendar app. After jumping through hoops trying lots of fixes I realized that the majority of events were actually on my iCloud account and NOT in my Google Calendar (who knew?) So I used the Samsung Smart Switch again but this time did it wirelessly which allowed me to login to iCloud and transfer my calendar events. This actually worked. Now most of my events were visible in the Google Calendar app AND on the regular Samsung Calendar app on the S8. That's the good news. The bad news is that it (apparently) put all the events into Samsung's "My Calendar" category, not my Google account category -- so NONE of the Samsung My Calendar events are showing up when I login to my Google Calendar on my Chromebook. Does that make sense? I now have all the events on my phone (the S8) but not in my Google account.

So... how do I get all of the "My Calendar" events to sync with my Google Calendar account?

Also... I noticed that when I add a new event into the Google Calendar app on the S8 it defaults to My Calendar. How can I get it to default to my Google account instead so I don't keep having this problem?

Thank you! :)

SigEp265

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2011
Southern California
Hey guys,

My S8 has finally arrived! I used the Samsung Smart Switch app (USB hook-up) to transfer stuff from my iPhone to my new S8. It went pretty smoothly. Since then I've figured most things out on my own but could use some help (please) with this issue: the Calendar.

I noticed that the Google Calendar app on the S8 did not have most of the events that were on my iPhone's Fantastical 2 calendar app. After jumping through hoops trying lots of fixes I realized that the majority of events were actually on my iCloud account and NOT in my Google Calendar (who knew?) So I used the Samsung Smart Switch again but this time did it wirelessly which allowed me to login to iCloud and transfer my calendar events. This actually worked. Now most of my events were visible in the Google Calendar app AND on the regular Samsung Calendar app on the S8. That's the good news. The bad news is that it (apparently) put all the events into Samsung's "My Calendar" category, not my Google account category -- so NONE of the Samsung My Calendar events are showing up when I login to my Google Calendar on my Chromebook. Does that make sense? I now have all the events on my phone (the S8) but not in my Google account.

So... how do I get all of the "My Calendar" events to sync with my Google Calendar account?

Also... I noticed that when I add a new event into the Google Calendar app on the S8 it defaults to My Calendar. How can I get it to default to my Google account instead so I don't keep having this problem?

Thank you! :)

Is there a way to export the Samsun calendar events? I want to say that Samsung Kies Windows software used to be able to do that ... Google Calendar can import via the web

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
http://phandroid.com/2017/07/10/samsung-galaxy-s8-bixby-remapping-blocked-again/
This is my issue with Samsung and one of the reasons I most likely won't ever buy them again, blocking stuff like this is terrible. To add insult to injury the freakin Bixby app doesn't even work that well anyway. It's certainly their way, just something to add to the locked bootloaders, physical e-fuse, knox counter, etc, anyone see a pattern here? Add all that to the horrendously slow OS updates and really all I can say is F Samsung.

From what I understand the S8 sales have significantly slowed down, and overall they are less than the S7 sales. Shame, because I'd grab one off of swappa for $300 in a couple of months if I hadn't sworn off Samsung.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Seems like bixby can do a lot of stuff that Siri or ga cannot. Can't wait for it to roll out.

I'm really liking Bixby Voice, especially after the recent update that it answers questions without opening the browser. It's definitely much faster now. And the voice wakeup command is as responsive as Google and Siri after the update. I still like using the Bixby button over wakeup command. Bixby is going to great in due time.

yui4

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2011
I'm really liking Bixby Voice, especially after the recent update that it answers questions without opening the browser. It's definitely much faster now. And the voice wakeup command is as responsive as Google and Siri after the update. I still like using the Bixby button over wakeup command. Bixby is going to great in due time.

By that time we'll all have another phone most likely!

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
By that time we'll all have another phone most likely!

Hope it will be sooner or later. The korean language version seems pretty usable now. siri and ga were crap too when it was first launched. It took so many years for siri to be barely usable.

Reactions: Demo Kit

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2007
Is there a way to export the Samsun calendar events? I want to say that Samsung Kies Windows software used to be able to do that ... Google Calendar can import via the web
Thanks for this. I ended up using the iCal Import/Export app to export the "My Calendar" events, then imported the events into Google Calendar. Looks like it worked. Thanks again!

Reactions: SigEp265

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
How are the monthly security updates on the unlocked S8 ? And haven't kept up in awhile, but this is running on Android 7.1.1 which came out in December last year.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
I got the June Update in mid June. Haven't gotten the July update yet.

Thanks for reply, did you get every month on time ? April, May, etc ? And is Samsung running on 7.1.1 which is already 8 months old. Don't tell me they are still on 7.0 from almost a year ago still.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Thanks for reply, did you get every month on time ? April, May, etc ? And is Samsung running on 7.1.1 which is already 8 months old. Don't tell me they are still on 7.0 from almost a year ago still.

I got the phone early June (had a tmobile previously lost/stolen) so I only can comment on last month.

It's on 7.0 :(

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
That's what it says. All GSM and CDMA networks.

Great deal. I'm sharing with friends/family that want the S8. Thanks for the heads up.

The S8 has been incredibly popular among my circle of friends that are iPhone users. And this is without any hype or pushing on my end; people just are impressed with the device itself, and with the camera. It's common for my friends to say, "use your camera" for photos when we're all out together. And this is coming from different groups of friends, too.
[doublepost=1499977533][/doublepost]

The S8 unlocked shipped in late May. I got June patch mid-June. No July yet.

Still on 7.0 sadly. As you probably already know, this doesn't bother me.

Reactions: jamezr

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2007
Hey guys, my new S8 isn't sending pictures in Messages. I tried a couple of other apps (Textra and Chomp) with the same results -- can't sent pictures. Text messages go through no problem. Any ideas or suggestions?

If it helps, I'm in the US and I've got Cricket Wireless (AT&T network).

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Hey guys, my new S8 isn't sending pictures in Messages. I tried a couple of other apps (Textra and Chomp) with the same results -- can't sent pictures. Text messages go through no problem. Any ideas or suggestions?

If it helps, I'm in the US and I've got Cricket Wireless (AT&T network).

Google around for the proper APN settings for your carrier and make sure they match what's in your phone.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
At&T version of S8+ still on 7.0. June 1 security patch. Samsung experience version 8.1.

I am not shocked we aren't on 7.1.1 yet.

I never try to use Bixby so I have no idea how it works these days. I just haven't gotten interested yet.

I actually want to go BACKWARDS a bit and tinker with the S7 and S7 Edge a bit more. I never even got them onto Nougat yet.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
At&T version of S8+ still on 7.0. June 1 security patch. Samsung experience version 8.1.

I am not shocked we aren't on 7.1.1 yet.

I never try to use Bixby so I have no idea how it works these days. I just haven't gotten interested yet.

I actually want to go BACKWARDS a bit and tinker with the S7 and S7 Edge a bit more. I never even got them onto Nougat yet.

Another AT&T user? How's their update schedule normally? First Android phone I've had on the network.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.