Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Another AT&T user? How's their update schedule normally? First Android phone I've had on the network.
So far so good with the S8+. I haven't actually kept track too closely but I think I've been getting them monthly, though several days after folks here on other carriers mention getting their updates. The only one they were infuriatingly slow with was the patch to fix the pink screen problem. That was a few weeks later than other carriers put theirs out, if I remember correctly.

AT&T and Samsung did pretty well with my S7 Edge.

My unlocked S7 that I got directly from Samsung was horrible. Samsung ignored it until they were trying to lure angry customers over to the S8.

Nothing Samsung and AT&T do will ever compare to how fast the updates come to Google phones and to my unlocked HTC when I was running it.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Bixby Voice might be good after all. It just needs some time to get the software and the data servers together.
Supposed to be coming 7/18

Reactions: mib1800

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2007
Google around for the proper APN settings for your carrier and make sure they match what's in your phone.
The APN settings seem to be correct. I had received 2 files from Cricket and installed them which updated the APN settings. But I still can't text any pictures with the Messages app. I tried using WhatsApp and it CAN send pictures, but I would like to be able to send pics from the regular Messages app. It's really bugging me that I can't get it to work.

EDIT: Finally got it to work. I tried so many different things that I honestly don't know what did it, but all of a sudden my wife's iphone started dinging like crazy and a couple dozen test pics I had sent to her all came in one after the other. So glad that issue is fixed! I switched to Textra since I can change the look of it and it seems to be working now too.

Last edited:

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Bixby Voice might be good after all. It just needs some time to get the software and the data servers together.
Supposed to be coming 7/18

Pretty impressive.

I'll turn it on to give it a shot. I want to see if it can do a few hands-free tasks all the way through.

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2007
Ugh. Well, I can finally send pictures but my messaging apps aren't allowing me to select any videos, it only sees (and only allows me to select) photos. I can send a video from within the Google Photos app but the video arrives on the other end very small. This is frustrating. And my family keeps giving me that "maybe you should have just stuck with your iPhone?" look. :(

TheBigKing

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2010
PR
New update for exynos version
9ed11ddc01b0a54e97149eb4cc4b49ba.jpg
c2dd4ff379a99a43e26e04b74fccaa2a.jpg

Reactions: yui4 and MRU

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Ugh. Well, I can finally send pictures but my messaging apps aren't allowing me to select any videos, it only sees (and only allows me to select) photos. I can send a video from within the Google Photos app but the video arrives on the other end very small. This is frustrating. And my family keeps giving me that "maybe you should have just stuck with your iPhone?" look. :(

The tiny video thing is going to happen. The only way around it is another app or share a link to the video.

Reactions: macfacts

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Sorry to hear that. I wish I could help but I haven't tried to send any video on my Samsung. At some point I will be sharing some videos to other parents from school, but one of the moms has us using Dropbox for that. I have not used it yet so can't say how that option works.

When I texted on my S8+ I was using Textra and just sending gifs. My husband is back on his iPhone for a few weeks while he's immersed in a project and can't stop to troubleshoot a few odd things he had on his S8+, so I'm totally back on iMessage right now.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX

videos are probably too big to send over MMS... unless you are trying whatsapp, allo, etc.

Reactions: macfacts

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2007
Im sorry but as good as iMessage is it useless when its not true cross platform.
But now I'm the odd man out. Everyone I text with (family, friends, neighbors, co-workers... everyone) all have iPhones, so they all use iMessage. It's not useless for them.

My son thinks i was crazy to switch when i know that everyone else has an iPhone. Maybe he was right.

Reactions: 5105973

Fille84

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2013
I can do that. But I can't get every single person I communicate with to do that.

Is it so hard for them to download one more app? Its one click, 2-3 more clicks to set it up. And its not that they have to ditch imessage, just use whatsapp when chatting with you or other people on android..

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
But now I'm the odd man out. Everyone I text with (family, friends, neighbors, co-workers... everyone) all have iPhones, so they all use iMessage. It's not useless for them.

My son thinks i was crazy to switch when i know that everyone else has an iPhone. Maybe he was right.

It's useful as long as everyone's on the iPhone, but once enough people are on a different platform, then a single-platform messaging solution just doesn't cut it. When I had my latest stint on the iPhone with my iPhone 7, I kept iMessage enabled for a while, but turned it off after a couple of months since practically nobody (not even other iPhone users) was messaging me on it. Over here anything iOS-only would narrow down the people you can communicate with way too much especially when the cross-platform solutions are available also for iOS.

Reactions: SteveJUAE

yui4

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2011
Total opposite for myself, even friends with iPhones prefer WhatsApp which works out great now I've jumped ship

Reactions: SteveJUAE

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
What's everyone's final verdict on best screen protector for the s8?

Not asking for me, of course. Keeping my s8 naked. ;)
[doublepost=1500076028][/doublepost]
I can do that. But I can't get every single person I communicate with to do that.

It's understandable. If iMessage is that embedded in your circle, no one is going to blame you for going back.
[doublepost=1500076161][/doublepost]
Total opposite for myself, even friends with iPhones prefer WhatsApp which works out great now I've jumped ship

Same for me, and I'm in the United States. Not only is everyone on WhatsApp, they prefer it.

Reactions: yui4

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
That was a problem for me as well. My own daughter flatly refused to go along with it. And she doesn't even bother with emojis or stickers. :(

Quick question-- are all the people here who say all of their friends are on WhatsApp outside of the US? I'm in the US. I do know more and more people on Android, specifically Samsungs, but the majority are using iPhones.

lcs101

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2010
Is it so hard for them to download one more app? Its one click, 2-3 more clicks to set it up. And its not that they have to ditch imessage, just use whatsapp when chatting with you or other people on android..

Actually, yes, it can be a pain to get a number of people to download and set up a new app.

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2007
Actually, yes, it can be a pain to get a number of people to download and set up a new app.
Yep. And it's not just the act of downloading a new app and setting it up. It's getting the other people to actually use this new and different app for texting when they instinctively use their regular message app for texting.

Most of the people I'm talking about don't even know what "iMessage" is. They just tap the little green icon and text away.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.