Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yui4

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2011
What's everyone's final verdict on best screen protector for the s8?

Not asking for me, of course. Keeping my s8 naked. ;)
[doublepost=1500076028][/doublepost]

I've stopped attempting glass and got an IQ shield wet install. I'm happy with it. Doesn't have that typical dragging feel they usually have and screen quality is still excellent.

Cost more to ship to the UK than the product itself!

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
Yep. And it's not just the act of downloading a new app and setting it up. It's getting the other people to actually use this new and different app for texting when they instinctively use their regular message app for texting.

Most of the people I'm talking about don't even know what "iMessage" is. They just tap the little green icon and text away.

A lot of folks completely misunderstand why iMessage works so well. The end user isn't making a choice to use it. It's just there and works seamlessly with texts from non-iMessage users.

Reactions: co.ag.2005

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Yep. And it's not just the act of downloading a new app and setting it up. It's getting the other people to actually use this new and different app for texting when they instinctively use their regular message app for texting.

Most of the people I'm talking about don't even know what "iMessage" is. They just tap the little green icon and text away.

For complete strangers or people that you barely know, that can be an issue if they don't want to be bothered downloading another messenger.

But I had no problem getting people that I communicate with on a regular basis to install Whatsapp and use it with me. Once installed and and activated(which is extremely fast and easy), that's it. I have a about two iPhone user friends that only use Whatsapp with me only, and they don't mind, cause it's nothing difficult about it. It's not like they have to keep Whatsapp running for me to message them, and it's the same exact process for them to share a video or picture with me from the gallery app or within Whatsapp.

A lot of folks completely misunderstand why iMessage works so well. The end user isn't making a choice to use it. It's just there and works seamlessly with texts from non-iMessage users.

Exactly!!!! ........ Which is why Google needs implement Allo has the default message/text app. Even if it never works quite like iMessage.

SMS should be dead anyway, when you have data service.

Reactions: widgeteer

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
I am a big stock Android nerd, love the Nexus and now Pixel line, but man Google's messaging app or any Android text app blows compared to iMessage, and I'm no iPhone lover.

I had the iPhone 7 Plus the first half of the year, and liked the phone a lot, but still prefer stock Android above all else, but I will admit iMessage was far and above one of the greatest apps on the iPhone.

macfacts

macrumors 603
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
I can do that. But I can't get every single person I communicate with to do that.

You don't need everyone you communicate with to have it installed. You can still use sms text with those other people.

With WhatsApp, it uses your address book of phone numbers to connect with people, just like iMessage.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Just sent my Moto G in for the trade in promo Samsung had a couple weeks ago. If they deny my claim, I think I am just going to return my S8+ because it's ridiculous they're denying people left and right without any objective/transparent reasons.

The phone has a clean ESN, no liquid or physical damage, screen works, no activation lock, was factory reset, offers Android, powers on, holds a charge.

If Samsung flubs me over, I think I am done with them no matter how amazing their phones will be or are.

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2007
You don't need everyone you communicate with to have it installed. You can still use sms text with those other people.
I know. I get it. It's just not the same. Hey, it is what it is (as they say).
[doublepost=1500155373][/doublepost]
Just sent my Moto G in for the trade in promo Samsung had a couple weeks ago. If they deny my claim, I think I am just going to return my S8+ because it's ridiculous they're denying people left and right without any objective/transparent reasons.
It's a crapshoot, for sure. Coin toss. I got lucky. My trade-in was accepted so I got the full amount.

Reactions: nviz22

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
I know. I get it. It's just not the same. Hey, it is what it is (as they say).
[doublepost=1500155373][/doublepost]
It's a crapshoot, for sure. Coin toss. I got lucky. My trade-in was accepted so I got the full amount.

Gives me a trade in option towards the iPhone OLED model possibly. Might do that and ditch Samsung once and for all. But if I do see the iPhone sucks, then I can just use this device. I will end up paying like $247 out of pocket after selling my S7 to a friend for $315 and trading in that Moto G. What phone was it they took from you?

Last edited:

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
From what I read on other sites, many returning iphones got rejected. Its completely a crap shoot though. Many got completely new cheap phones denied. One guy even returned two of the exact same new cheap Android and one was denied and one was accepted. They accepted my Droid razr.

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
I'm never going back to the Apple Watch or Apple Pay after experiencing The Gear S3 with Samsung Pay. The MST technology is freaking amazing.

No more having to guess if the credit card readers take Apple Pay, this just works and I love how cashiers don't get how the payment went through when they thought they didn't have Apple Pay. Gear S3 watch is also a great watch itself. I like how it handles notifications and navigating through with the dial face bezel is less cumbersome than the stupid digital crown and mess of icons on the screen.

For me to give up the Gear S3 watch and Samsung Pay would be like for some of you giving up iMessage, but hey I get it that you feel a little left out not getting Blue colored text messages with all your friends who have iPhones :)

Been using the S8+ for a month already and both my iPhone and Apple Watch have been collecting dust. Thinking of selling them now before the prices start to plummet more when the iPhone 8 is announced!

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
For complete strangers or people that you barely know, that can be an issue if they don't want to be bothered downloading another messenger.

But I had no problem getting people that I communicate with on a regular basis to install Whatsapp and use it with me. Once installed and and activated(which is extremely fast and easy), that's it. I have a about two iPhone user friends that only use Whatsapp with me only, and they don't mind, cause it's nothing difficult about it. It's not like they have to keep Whatsapp running for me to message them, and it's the same exact process for them to share a video or picture with me from the gallery app or within Whatsapp.

Exactly!!!! ........ Which is why Google needs implement Allo has the default message/text app. Even if it never works quite like iMessage.

Texting it still a thing in the U.S. In fact, and this is purely anecdotal so YMMV, but I can't really think of any U.S. based friend that uses something other than text or iMessage.

Reactions: blaine07

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California

Been saying this for years... simplest solution is to just rename Hangouts to Google Messenger. Done. No need for that Duo or Allo crap. Hangouts itself is a great application but then Google just really likes to abandon and fragment things.

Reactions: blaine07

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Texting it still a thing in the U.S. In fact, and this is purely anecdotal so YMMV, but I can't really think of any U.S. based friend that uses something other than text or iMessage.

Texting is not a thing in itself ...... "Default" usage is still a thing in America. This is why Allo needs to be the default message/text app in Android.

Google needs to make Allo the default message app, allow SMS to be sent and received, along with the messenger service it provides already. At the moment, sending and receiving SMS from Allo goes through a proxy number. They need to fix that to make your number the default SMS.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I'm never going back to the Apple Watch or Apple Pay after experiencing The Gear S3 with Samsung Pay. The MST technology is freaking amazing.

No more having to guess if the credit card readers take Apple Pay, this just works and I love how cashiers don't get how the payment went through when they thought they didn't have Apple Pay. Gear S3 watch is also a great watch itself. I like how it handles notifications and navigating through with the dial face bezel is less cumbersome than the stupid digital crown and mess of icons on the screen.

For me to give up the Gear S3 watch and Samsung Pay would be like for some of you giving up iMessage, but hey I get it that you feel a little left out not getting Blue colored text messages with all your friends who have iPhones :)

Been using the S8+ for a month already and both my iPhone and Apple Watch have been collecting dust. Thinking of selling them now before the prices start to plummet more when the iPhone 8 is announced!

My Samsung pay experience was exactly like in the commercial. I pull out to use my phone to tap and pay, she said, "this doesn't take Apple Pay," and I said, just as an auto response, oh it's actually not an iPhone. And then bingo, the transaction went through and was paid.

The Gear S3 was the first smartwatch that I actually considered. It looks beautiful, too.

I'm loving my s8, too, for many reasons. Simply put, it's the most worry-free smartphone experience. And a wonderful piece of technology to own.

Last edited:

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
My Samsung pay experience was exactly in the commercial. I pull out to use my phone to tap and pay, she said, "this doesn't take Apple Pay," and I said, just as an auto response, oh it's actually not an iPhone. And then bingo, the transaction went through and was paid.

I stopped saying "this isn't an iPhone or Apple Pay". Now I simply say "It's gonna work" in a firm voice. When it goes through, they look at me like I'm Jason Borne. :p

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I stopped saying "this isn't an iPhone or Apple Pay". Now I simply say "It's gonna work" in a firm voice. When it goes through, they look at me like I'm Jason Borne. :p

Nice.

The s8 is an impressive piece of technology, in that it literally impresses people. Samsung pay, the camera, face unlock, the screen... All these things have impressed people I know.

Heck, face unlock still feels like magic to me.

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
My Samsung pay experience was exactly in the commercial. I pull out to use my phone to tap and pay, she said, "this doesn't take Apple Pay," and I said, just as an auto response, oh it's actually not an iPhone. And then bingo, the transaction went through and was paid.

The Gear S3 was the first smartwatch that I actually considered. It looks beautiful, too.

I'm loving my s8, too, for many reasons. Simply put, it's the most worry-free smartphone experience. And a wonderful piece of technology to own.

And don't forget you get to earn Samsung Pay reward points on top of whatever you get from your credit cards too. I just scored my first $50 reward card and won a Level Box Pro speaker :D
[doublepost=1500230511][/doublepost]
Nice.

The s8 is an impressive piece of technology, in that it literally impresses people. Samsung pay, the camera, face unlock, the screen... All these things have impressed people I know.

Heck, face unlock still feels like magic to me.

If you use Smart Lock paired with a Bluetooth device, smart watch, location, etc... you don't even have to think about it. I just discovered hard pressing the "home button" on the AOD to instantly unlock a few weeks ago!

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
And don't forget you get to earn Samsung Pay reward points on top of whatever you get from your credit cards too. I just scored my first $50 reward card and won a Level Box Pro speaker :D
[doublepost=1500230511][/doublepost]

If you use Smart Lock paired with a Bluetooth device, smart watch, location, etc... you don't even have to think about it. I just discovered hard pressing the "home button" on the AOD to instantly unlock a few weeks ago!

On that last note, I really like what Samsung did with the pressure sensitive home button.
Pressure sensitivity makes a lot of sense here, not in what HTC or Apple try to do. Squeezing the side of phones just doesn't make much sense, and pressing down harder on a non-tactile surface isn't much more natural either (not to mention 3D Touch is an unnecessarily expensive and complex hardware solution for something that software has already figured out).

On the s8, it's there just to wake the phone. A tactile software representation of a home button, nothing more.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I keep going back and forth between this and the iPhone but keep realizing the list of things I like better on the S8+ include:
Screen
Speaker
App quality on the things I use
Connectivity (outside of BT where it's basically equal)
Responsiveness of OS
Better feel in the hand

And the things I like better about the iPhone:
Apple Watch

Last edited:

yui4

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2011
I keep going back and forth between this and the iPhone but keep realizing the list of things I like better on the S8+ include:
Screen
Speaker
App quality on the things I use
Connectivity (outside of BT where it's basically equal)
Responsiveness of OS
Better feel in the hand

And the things I like better about the iPhone:
Apple Watch
Honestly this is the first Samsung or any other phone that I've had for a while that has stopped me regretting giving my iPhone up. I've always started to doubt my change by this time.
I'm aware others will disagree but in terms of lag, this is the first Samsung that I've had that is on a par with the iPhone. I'm also aware people will say the lag will appear over time but as I rarely keep a phone for a full year, nevermind more than a year, that issue is a mute point for me.

SigEp265

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2011
Southern California
YES! sign out on macs, ipads, etc. If you don't, you're number will still be tied to iMessage and messages will get trapped in "iMessage Purgatory". Also, deregister your number here: https://selfsolve.apple.com/deregister-imessage/

Just to follow up on this. My iPhone took a crap recently so I had to switch to my Samsung S8. After 2 days of my phone number being stuck in iMessage. It spontaneously was removed from my iCloud account. I am able to receive normal SMS and MMS from iOS users. I didn't try to log out of my iPad or iMac either.

Edit: My solution for the time being (while my number was stuck in iMessage) was to remote into my Mac Mini and see if anyone had messaged me.

Last edited:
Reactions: co.ag.2005
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.