Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I haven't hit it even once. I'd prefer if it wasn't there or remappable but whatever. It's actually less invasive and annoying than Apple's 3D Touch. ;)

That's actually true, never thought about that.

I think most will get over the Bixby button once Bixby Voice is rolled out to everyone. Cause I love the button for using Bixby Voice.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
Yes but by that stage, our robot overlords will make us participate in a HUnger Games for their amusement.

Why you say this? Those parts that do the control of the phone functions are pretty complete (from youtube). That's what I plan to use Bixby for. From what I saw, neither siri nor google assistant can do what bixby can in this aspect. For other information/search-related stuff, I'll just use Google assistant. Best of both worlds.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Why you say this? Those parts that do the control of the phone functions are pretty complete (from youtube). That's what I plan to use Bixby for. From what I saw, neither siri nor google assistant can do what bixby can in this aspect. For other information/search-related stuff, I'll just use Google assistant. Best of both worlds.

It's not active yet (although today is the rumoured date of release).

There are no plans for it to be active here in the UK any time soon, according to leaks.

Fingers crossed we get it! I agree, it's a completely new type of assistant.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Just got a whole lot of updates in the Galaxy Store dealing with Bixby and a couple are referencing Bixby Voice.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I just completely disabled Bixby yesterday. Got tired of hitting the button and having it come up mid task. It is fairly useful if you don't ever have your hands available but I still prefer to do things with my hands over my voice.

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
I just completely disabled Bixby yesterday. Got tired of hitting the button and having it come up mid task. It is fairly useful if you don't ever have your hands available but I still prefer to do things with my hands over my voice.

I find all voice assistants mostly useless. Google Assistant is the closest to "good" out there, but the problem is they're all so hit or miss with voice recognition, and if the feature is supposed to be an "assistant" and it's not reliable, that's a fail.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I find all voice assistants mostly useless. Google Assistant is the closest to "good" out there, but the problem is they're all so hit or miss with voice recognition, and if the feature is supposed to be an "assistant" and it's not reliable, that's a fail.

Yeah I agree. I use google a bit to send texts when driving or place calls but that's it really. I read on other forums how people are praising bixby because it can adjust any setting or do many things in apps but I'm like Ok, why? I don't like talking to my phone unless absolutely necessary. Like near life or death, I need directions now in my car type of situation.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Yeah I agree. I use google a bit to send texts when driving or place calls but that's it really. I read on other forums how people are praising bixby because it can adjust any setting or do many things in apps but I'm like Ok, why? I don't like talking to my phone unless absolutely necessary. Like near life or death, I need directions now in my car type of situation.

The demonstration of Bixby by Florence Ion on a recent podcast (All About Android or Android Central, can't recall) wasn't a showcase of Bixby at it's best. She used it (or tried, to be clear) to select a photo, crop it, and then share it. It took 3 tries and 10X longer than it would've taken to do it by hand.

I can appreciate having the capability to perform functions when your hands are unavailable but are examples like above really necessary? Is it really necessary to edit a photo by voice, on a device that's made to me used with one's hands? I personally want this on my home assistant integrated with a very large screen. In a perfect world, my home assistant would being able to offer both audio solutions as well as visual information on a large screen i.e. the TV in my family room, bedroom or maybe my office.

The voice commands I need my phone to be able to perform are primarily when I'm driving so handle those well--sending messages, making calls, accurate voice dictation, looking up items on my calendar, navigation and audio playback.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
The demonstration of Bixby by Florence Ion on a recent podcast (All About Android or Android Central, can't recall) wasn't a showcase of Bixby at it's best. She used it (or tried, to be clear) to select a photo, crop it, and then share it. It took 3 tries and 10X longer than it would've taken to do it by hand.

I can appreciate having the capability to perform functions when your hands are unavailable but are examples like above really necessary? Is it really necessary to edit a photo by voice, on a device that's made to me used with one's hands? I personally want this on my home assistant integrated with a very large screen. In a perfect world, my home assistant would being able to offer both audio solutions as well as visual information on a large screen i.e. the TV in my family room, bedroom or maybe my office.

The voice commands I need my phone to be able to perform are primarily when I'm driving so handle those well--sending messages, making calls, accurate voice dictation, looking up items on my calendar, navigation and audio playback.

and for me, it can't even do the simple things like "call <wife's name> mobile" or "call <brother's name> mobile". Things I want my assistant to do in the car while I'm driving, for example. Especially for the S8, since Samsung doesn't allow Google Assistant to work via voice with the screen off. Let's nail the basics first, Samsung...

Reactions: tbayrgs

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
I'm a few months with the S8 now and can't stand it. The lag is just horrible, and I really don't want to have to reset my phone. If I could just reset like iPhone with restoring from iCloud it wouldn't be quite the ordeal.

I'm getting constant frame drops. Even the text messaging app is slow to draw texts.

The most annoying thing for me, though, is the camera. From the time I press the shutter button it takes about 5 seconds to save a photo. If I press the home button or turn off screen before those 5 seconds are up, it doesn't save the photo. I've been losing a lot of photos lately and just realized today that's what the issue is. I often take a pic and put phone back in my pocket, only to later find it never saved it. If I watch for the little icon in the bottom corner to show the pic was taken, I see it takes about 5 seconds for it to show up. If I turn off the screen before that point is when the photo is lost.

Also, when I'm recording video it isn't smooth motion on the screen, it stutters. However, the actual video playback is fine after I view it on my PC.

Another very annoying feature is how to answer a call when Do Not Disturb is turned on. It doesn't pop up on the screen like normal but rather a tiny icon like a notification on the screen, and you've got to turn on screen by pressing home button or power button prior to being able to answer. I've missed many calls at night trying to fumble in my sleep to answer calls from people on my favorites that I can hear ring.

And back to the camera... it can't capture color accurately. It thinks orange is yellow. I've taken some pictures of sunsets that were a beautiful deep orange and they come out as lemon yellow. I took some pictures a few days ago of candles and they come out yellow instead of orange. The dark green grass in my yard looks like a bright green -- completely different than what it looks like in pictures I took with my prior iPhone, which was always color accurate.

One other issue that's been troublesome lately is the GPS or location feature of my phone isn't doing right. I use IFTTT triggers for turning lights off and on when I leave and return home, and sometimes those trigger and turn the lights off while I'm sitting at home. I know it's an issue with the phone's location because I also use Smart Lock and it coincides when the lights turn off when I'm sitting at home that I have to use a password to unlock phone. It's like it thinks I'm somewhere else.

I'm ready to go back to iPhone already.

Last edited:

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
I'm a few months with the S8 now and can't stand it. The lag is just horrible, and I really don't want to have to reset my phone. If I could just reset like iPhone with restoring from iCloud it wouldn't be quite the ordeal.

I'm getting constant frame drops. Even the text messaging app is slow to draw texts.

The most annoying thing for me, though, is the camera. From the time I press the shutter button it takes about 5 seconds to save a photo. If I press the home button or turn off screen before those 5 seconds are up, it doesn't save the photo. I've been losing a lot of photos lately and just realized today that's what the issue is. I often take a pic and put phone back in my pocket, only to later find it never saved it. If I watch for the little icon in the bottom corner to show the pic was taken, I see it takes about 5 seconds for it to show up. If I turn off the screen before that point is when the photo is lost.

Also, when I'm recording video it isn't smooth motion on the screen, it stutters. However, the actual video playback is fine after I view it on my PC.

Another very annoying feature is how to answer a call when Do Not Disturb is turned on. It doesn't pop up on the screen like normal but rather a tiny icon like a notification on the screen, and you've got to turn on screen by pressing home button or power button prior to being able to answer. I've missed many calls at night trying to fumble in my sleep to answer calls from people on my favorites that I can hear ring.

And back to the camera... it can't capture color accurately. It thinks orange is yellow. I've taken some pictures of sunsets that were a beautiful deep orange and they come out as lemon yellow. I took some pictures a few days of candles and they come out yellow instead of orange. The dark green grass in my yard looks like a bright green -- completely different than what it looks like in pictures I took with my prior iPhone, which was always color accurate.

One other issue that's been troublesome lately is the GPS or location feature of my phone isn't doing right. I use IFTTT triggers for turning lights off and on when I leave and return home, and sometimes those trigger and turn the lights off while I'm sitting at home. I know it's an issue with the phone's location because I also use Smart Lock and it coincides when the lights turn off that I have to use a password to unlock phone. It's like it things I'm somewhere else.

I'm ready to go back to iPhone already.

I haven't been having many issues but my phone has definitely started to slow down. I've had this particular unit since the end of March and it's not as quick as it was new. I don't really see lag, per se, but more a general slow down as you describe. Taking a long time to do any action when I press it. Like launching apps, or going to the home screen out of an app, etc. While this is still the fastest Samsung phone I've owned and still is, I just can't stand these general slow downs that happen. I definitely can't wait for the Pixel XL 2 and in the mean time, ordered an HTC U11 to give it a try.

I still love this phone but it is getting more frustrating navigating through my normal day to day tasks.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
it is getting more frustrating navigating through my normal day to day tasks.

The ram management on mine is still plaguing me. I've tried different firmware to rule it out but to no avail. Essentially the phone is frustrating me as you say on day to day tasks.

Haven't used the fingerprint reader because of its location and just keep smart unlock setup.

Camera has been good for me though, probably the only reason I haven't sold it on as yet ...

It's not the worst phone I've ever had, but I honestly think as much as the S7e irked me with false touches, it was a far better phone and felt smoother in operation and got better battery life too (exynos model). To me personally the S8 has disappointed me overall.

I am definitely ready for pixel 2 at this stage.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
The ram management on mine is still plaguing me. I've tried different firmware to rule it out but to no avail. Essentially the phone is frustrating me as you say on day to day tasks.

Haven't used the fingerprint reader because of its location and just keep smart unlock setup.

Camera has been good for me though, probably the only reason I haven't sold it on as yet ...

It's not the worst phone I've ever had, but I honestly think as much as the S7e irked me with false touches, it was a far better phone and felt smoother in operation and got better battery life too (exynos model). To me personally the S8 has disappointed me overall.

I am definitely ready for pixel 2 at this stage.
I sold my S8+ today. I didn't have any of the issues you did. The camera is great! In fact battery life is right on par with my 7+. I didn't have any false touches i did on the S7e at all.
But that dang FPS irks me to no end. The FPS reader itself is very accurate....but the location just drives me fecking bonkers. I end up missing it most of the time.
I tried iris and facial scanning and they do work rather well. But holding my phone up to my face is not very intuitive for me to unlock my phone.
I am going to get by with my Pixel XL and HTC U11 and 7+ until the Pixel XL2 and maybe LG V30 and iphone 8 comes out. I will probably skip the Note 8 for the same reasons i sold my the S8+....damn that FPS.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
I haven't been having many issues but my phone has definitely started to slow down. I've had this particular unit since the end of March and it's not as quick as it was new. I don't really see lag, per se, but more a general slow down as you describe. Taking a long time to do any action when I press it. Like launching apps, or going to the home screen out of an app, etc. While this is still the fastest Samsung phone I've owned and still is, I just can't stand these general slow downs that happen. I definitely can't wait for the Pixel XL 2 and in the mean time, ordered an HTC U11 to give it a try.

I still love this phone but it is getting more frustrating navigating through my normal day to day tasks.

I usually have that same issue with Samsung phones as the dreaded touchwiz lag gets worse over time but for some reason my S8 Plus is getting better with time, its now Pixel level smooth. At first it had alot of framedrops and microstutters which i expect with touchwiz but they are now gone. Im still loving the phone.
[doublepost=1500422624][/doublepost]
I sold my S8+ today. I didn't have any of the issues you did. The camera is great! In fact battery life is right on par with my 7+. I didn't have any false touches i did on the S7e at all.
But that dang FPS irks me to no end. The FPS reader itself is very accurate....but the location just drives me fecking bonkers. I end up missing it most of the time.
I tried iris and facial scanning and they do work rather well. But holding my phone up to my face is not very intuitive for me to unlock my phone.
I am going to get by with my Pixel XL and HTC U11 and 7+ until the Pixel XL2 and maybe LG V30 and iphone 8 comes out. I will probably skip the Note 8 for the same reasons i sold my the S8+....damn that FPS.
The FPS is not ideal but i got used to it very quickly. I do have large hands which makes it easier though. I use it in conjunction with the iris scanner and i honestly don't even think about unlocking the phone now, it just happens naturally.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
The FPS is not ideal but i got used to it very quickly. I do have large hands which makes it easier though. I use it in conjunction with the iris scanner and i honestly don't even think about unlocking the phone now, it just happens naturally.

Same here it's not an issue for me. Although I rarely use it anymore due to the Iris scanner. But I still have to use it for logging into my financial and password manager apps.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012

Too bad you got irked by FPS. S8+ is a great phone.

I don't really have much issue with fps. Maybe I mostly use the phone one-handed (with right hand) so the position is quite natural and easy. But unlock with the left hand index finger is a bit difficult. Of course if it is centered then it would be perfect. Too bad we can't have everything.

Reactions: jamezr
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.