Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
OK Google does that for me. I just asked 'search my photos for cars' and it presents them in a swipe gallery to view / select.

Did same for cats and same ...

So no internet search at all ...
f73cd95fa4a8097cbab02bccbc881183.jpg

That's Google Photos, not the Gallery app. I don't use Google Photos. Maybe on vanilla android that's perfectly fine.
[doublepost=1500502605][/doublepost]
No they didn't. Bixby is garbage.

No they didn't what?

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
That's Google Photos, not the Gallery app. I don't use Google Photos. Maybe on vanilla android that's perfectly fine.
[doublepost=1500502605][/doublepost]

No they didn't what?

Put pressure on Google and Apple.

Google and Apple already have their own garbage assistants. Samsung's is just the worst of the three. Neither company will move an inch on their software because of anything Samsung did here.

Bixby is garbage.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012

Google and Apple already have their own garbage assistants. Samsung's is just the worst of the three. Neither company will move an inch on their software because of anything Samsung did here.

Bixby is garbage.

How is Bixby the worst?

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009

Bixby is garbage.

How is Bixby the worst? And historically, both Google and Apple has been influenced by Samsung's features. And Vice Versa.

Reactions: Demo Kit

ichii

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2006
Anyone get Bixby to turn on enhanced voice recognition ? I kept getting an error saying it's too noisy and try again.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Hi Bixby seems more responsive than OK Google. Having it perform commands has been rather reliable so far. And using Hi Bixby to bypass your lock screen for commands is pretty neat and useful, too.

And to @LIVEFRMNYC 's point, having the button as an option to launch Bixby feels nicer than activating it via voice.

Definitely room to grow, but there really is potential. Hands-free use could get a lot better.

Last edited:
Reactions: LIVEFRMNYC

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I still don't understand using a hardware button for a voice assistant, something there to help when your hands can't do the job. If I'm already holding my phone to to press a hardware button, it preempts the need to use voice commands--at least in my use case.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I still don't understand using a hardware button for a voice assistant, something there to help when your hands can't do the job. If I'm already holding my phone to to press a hardware button, it preempts the need to use voice commands--at least in my use case.

There's plenty of situations that you might want to search something one handed without going through menus or typing text in a search bar, without the need to speak a wake command. It's all preference though. More choices are better than none.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014

It's a minor convenience. You're simply not waking the assistant. You skip a step. Not sure it justifies the button. Just explaining.

Last edited:

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Is Bixby worth using?

Also, I read T-Mobile has the July patch, even before the unlocked Snapdragon model. What gives, Samsung? I should consider just moving on. I doubt they can trade my black one to the coral blue either?

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Is Bixby worth using?

Also, I read T-Mobile has the July patch, even before the unlocked Snapdragon model. What gives, Samsung? I should consider just moving on. I doubt they can trade my black one to the coral blue either?

It's worth trying even if you don't end up using it all the time.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK

Bixby is garbage.
Is it really worse than Siri :eek:

Reactions: 5105973

hot spare

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2011
If you want to see use cases of Bixby, check "sakitech" channel. He did some good descriptive videos on Bixby.

And don't compare it to google or siri. Bixby is much differernt from these. The whole idea of Bixby is different from other "assistants".

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
Is it really worse than Siri :eek:

Yup. My experience hasn't been fantastic. I am biased anyway though. At its best, I think the use case for Bixby is stupid. Why would I want to talk my phone through sending pictures and such? A hardware button for a voice assistant?

Complete stupidity.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I suppose Bixby could be a game changer for someone who doesn't have the use of their hands/arms. But it's something I'll rarely use, if ever.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
My husband just started trying to get Bixby set up last night before we went to sleep. I guess it didn't go well by the sounds of him grumbling and slapping the phone down on the nightstand. I'll have to check back with him later today and see if he got it set up.

I'm not setting mine up anytime soon. About 3 days ago I started noticing some lag and the finger print sensor has stopped working well again.

It works but the failure rate has shot through the roof again. I will be busy trouble shooting. I have the one print registered at least three separate times. I might have done 4. It makes no sense why the reader would work so well for a spell and then go wonky on me but this is the second time so far.

As for the lag, who knows. I have some spare time today so I'll reboot and tinker and see if I can find anything. Even though I've been reading and posting a lot, I've actually been running around all over the place on errands so I have not had the opportunity to troubleshoot anything yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.