Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
So far bixby has been pretty neat ... my main issue is that it wants me to use the stock messaging app to send a text to someone [face-palm emoji]

Your message app is probably not supported yet. It seems like Stock messages and Whatsapp is only supported at the moment, based on the list under My Bixby Voice apps and services.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Now that the Note 8 unveiling is official for late August, just curious, has there been any reports of exploding s8's?

I feel like I haven't seen or read about a single one...?

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2007
My Bixby voice volume is really low, even though the volume is 100% on all levels. Anyone know why this might be?? I can just barely hear it.

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
Best Buy running a deal for both versions. S8 is around $400, S8+ is around $500 (I think between the carriers there are some variances).

Unless you hate TW, this would be a no brainer if I were in the market. An S8 Plus for $500? All day long.

Sevanw

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
My Bixby voice volume is really low, even though the volume is 100% on all levels. Anyone know why this might be?? I can just barely hear it.

Here you go, straight from sammy community forums.

Click the Bixby button on the side of phone then once it pulls up on the upper righr corner your gonna wanna click on the Bixby B then once you done that look on that upper right corner and click the speaker to adjust volume

Reactions: Sounds Good

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2007
Here you go, straight from sammy community forums.

Click the Bixby button on the side of phone then once it pulls up on the upper righr corner your gonna wanna click on the Bixby B then once you done that look on that upper right corner and click the speaker to adjust volume
Wow. Thank you VERY much!

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
So I've been watching a few videos on bixby and it looks pretty good.

I've had Bixby for about 3 days and thus far I think it's competitive. All the main tasks I would also perform on Siri, Alexa and Google assistant get done without issue.

It also now sheds light on the need of a independent hardware button. From a user experience perspective it makes Bixby easy to find and activate, and also doesn't interfere with the home button being dedicated to Google Assistant so I have an actual choice depending on what I need done.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I've had Bixby for about 3 days and thus far I think it's competitive. All the main tasks I would also perform on Siri, Alexa and Google assistant get done without issue.

It also now sheds light on the need of a independent hardware button. From a user experience perspective it makes Bixby easy to find and activate, and also doesn't interfere with the home button being dedicated to Google Assistant so I have an actual choice depending on what I need done.

The Bixby button surprisingly feels good to use. Something about holding it down and talking to it makes it feel very natural; sort of like a walkie talkie. The more I use it, the more I like it.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Walkie talkie sounds cool. Keep on posting your experiences with Bixby. I'm hanging back from using it but I enjoy living vicariously through you all.

My fps wasn't working at all today. I tried rebooting. I tried cleaning it with a soft cloth. Finally I added another print profile and it works about 50/50. Sigh. My guess is that I have been swimming almost every day and got an extra wrinkle or two on my print. Otherwise I can't think why this would be happening.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK

I think things like remembering where the car is parked is useful (I don't have GPS in my car) also I lien the idea of being able to unlock my phone with a voice password. Those were the ones that stood out to me but it seems to be quite responsive overall.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Walkie talkie sounds cool. Keep on posting your experiences with Bixby. I'm hanging back from using it but I enjoy living vicariously through you all.

My fps wasn't working at all today. I tried rebooting. I tried cleaning it with a soft cloth. Finally I added another print profile and it works about 50/50. Sigh. My guess is that I have been swimming almost every day and got an extra wrinkle or two on my print. Otherwise I can't think why this would be happening.

That was what I was about to say, it could be your index fingers are hard to read. Did you try testing another person's fingers on your device?

I get almost zero failure rate.

yui4

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2011
That was what I was about to say, it could be your index fingers are hard to read. Did you try testing another person's fingers on your device?

Setting up the FPS was a nightmare as it took a while to register my finger enough to put on the system. After registered though I never seem to have any issues unlocking with it. I've also got quite comfortable with its position the more I've used it

Reactions: 5105973

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2007
Anyone use Google Drive on their S8? When creating a new Google Docs file on the iPhone I would be prompted to name the file before starting. But on the S8 I'm not asked to name the file, nor can I name it at any point while creating it. The only way to name it is to save the file, then search for "unnamed document" then rename that file (which is a serious pain in the butt to go through). Anyone know why this is happening? Why can't I name a new document in Google Drive on the S8?

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014

I'll test with my husband's print when he gets back from his business trip. I was getting almost perfect results for a long time, then the sensor started going wonky so I registered my print all over again with multiple records of the same print and it again worked fine for a fairly long spell before this most recent flakeout.

I have gone and deleted all the old records and made new ones and it's working well again but not as flawlessly as before. I guess I am one of those people who will need to refresh my print profiles from time to time. That used to be the case with all my iPhones until my 7 Plus.

I got rid of most of the lagging I was seeing in apps with a plain old reboot. But the camera is still pokey.

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2007
One more observation: on my iPhone the "autofill" feature (like adding my name or phone number or email address) would work everywhere, regardless of the app I was in. On the S8 I've noticed that the autofill feature only works sometimes, in certain apps. I'm not loving that, it was a very convenient feature on the iPhone.

lcs101

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2010
Best Buy running a deal for both versions. S8 is around $400, S8+ is around $500 (I think between the carriers there are some variances).

Unless you hate TW, this would be a no brainer if I were in the market. An S8 Plus for $500? All day long.
That's very tempting. I'm waiting to see what the Pixel brings to the table. If I knew for sure the rumors were true about minimal changes to the smaller one, I'd purchase the S8 tomorrow.
[doublepost=1500749100][/doublepost]

Have you found yourself using both?

Nr123*123

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2014
That's very tempting. I'm waiting to see what the Pixel brings to the table. If I knew for sure the rumors were true about minimal changes to the smaller one, I'd purchase the S8 tomorrow.
[doublepost=1500749100][/doublepost]

Have you found yourself using both?

Those prices are crazy. The cheapest deal in the UK is around £620 (around $805). Do those prices include taxes?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.