Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Have you found yourself using both?

Yes. Google Assistant is more tightly integrated with the Google ecosystem so there is value in using it for my calendar, reminder and alarms. In addition there are some tasks like search that no one will ever beat google at.

Further, because Bixby is so new to me I have no idea what it can really do, or where it integrates with other ecosystems and services. It's going to take awhile and experimentation to figure that out.

And I believe there is room for using both. On iOS I used Siri and Google Now, so smart assistants need not be mutually exclusive in my opinion. At home I only use Alexa.

lcs101

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2010
The tax is around 20%? Even so, $600 is an amazing deal.

Depends on the state (and county). Where I live, it's close to 10%, but that's on the high side. There are also a few states without sales tax.
[doublepost=1500837589][/doublepost]
Yes. Google Assistant is more tightly integrated with the Google ecosystem so there is value in using it for my calendar, reminder and alarms. In addition there are some tasks like search that no one will ever beat google at.

Further, because Bixby is so new to me I have no idea what it can really do, or where it integrates with other ecosystems and services. It's going to take awhile and experimentation to figure that out.

And I believe there is room for using both. On iOS I used Siri and Google Now, so smart assistants need not be mutually exclusive in my opinion. At home I only use Alexa.
Thanks for the reply!

Reactions: epicrayban

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009

Bixby doesn't seem to integrate with my Phillips Hue hub yet, and most likely not many other things. Hopefully an update will change that soon. Most likely before the Note 8 is released. So for now, I still use Google assistant to control my lights.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Bixby will get better over the long term. Can't really understand people writing it off as a "failure" already.

Also, it's better Samsung put it out now and get real data for it (that's how it will improve).

More of an issue for me: no idea when it will be activated in the UK!

Last edited:

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
Those prices are crazy. The cheapest deal in the UK is around £620 (around $805). Do those prices include taxes?

The devil is in the details so to speak. These deals are only available on certain cellular carriers and only if you finance over a period of time. They charge you full price for the phone, but then give you a monthly credit that in effect subsidizes part of the payment.

You only realize the full value of the credit if you stay with the carrier for the entire financing term which is usually 24 months or two years.

So while not a contract in the normal sense, it heavily incentivizes you to stay with the carrier.

Still, if you are already with a carrier and plan to stay with them, it is a very good deal on a Samsung Galaxy S8.

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
The devil is in the details so to speak. These deals are only available on certain cellular carriers and only if you finance over a period of time. They charge you full price for the phone, but then give you a monthly credit that in effect subsidizes part of the payment.

You only realize the full value of the credit if you stay with the carrier for the entire financing term which is usually 24 months or two years.

So while not a contract in the normal sense, it heavily incentivizes you to stay with the carrier.

Still, if you are already with a carrier and plan to stay with them, it is a very good deal on a Samsung Galaxy S8.

I think you have the option to pay off the reminder of the balance at any time.

Reactions: macfacts

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Bixby will get better over the long term. Can't really understand people writing it off as a "failure" already.

Also, it's better Samsung put it out now and get real date for it (that's how it will improve).

More of an issue for me: no idea when it will be activated in the UK!
I hope it doesn't take years like Samsung pay. Also I hope Samsung doesn't abandon it.

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
I think you have the option to pay off the reminder of the balance at any time.

Yes. I believe you are correct. But then you don't get the monthly credit.

It is still a good deal. But you can't just pay $400 for a Galaxy S8 and port over to another carrier the next day.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Anyone use Google Drive on their S8? When creating a new Google Docs file on the iPhone I would be prompted to name the file before starting. But on the S8 I'm not asked to name the file, nor can I name it at any point while creating it. The only way to name it is to save the file, then search for "unnamed document" then rename that file (which is a serious pain in the butt to go through). Anyone know why this is happening? Why can't I name a new document in Google Drive on the S8?

It's not really an S8 issue, but rather how Google Drive works on Android compared to iOS (I don't know why it's different!). As you say, on iOS, you are prompted to name the file before it's created whereas on Android it goes straight in and creates the document as "Untitled document".

Once you've saved the document and are out of editing mode, the name of the document will display at the top of the screen and if you tap on the name, you'll get the dialog box that lets you rename it (the first time you do this, a name will be suggested based on the content of the document)

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
Yes. I believe you are correct. But then you don't get the monthly credit.

It is still a good deal. But you can't just pay $400 for a Galaxy S8 and port over to another carrier the next day.

I don't think this is correct. They're selling it to you at the reduced price and breaking it down into monthly payments. The reduced price isn't dependent on staying with them for the duration, that's just the expectation on the carrier's part. IN other words, I think you ahve to wait for one bill cycle and then you can request to pay off the balance. The balance will be whatever price the phone was sold to you. If you choose to pay off the full balance, the price doesn't jump back up to $800 because you chose not to stick with monthly installments.

As for porting it out, I don't know if all the carrier version have all the bands. If the VZW version, in example, has GSM bands and you pay it off - yes, you can port out the next day if you choose.

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2007
Once you've saved the document and are out of editing mode, the name of the document will display at the top of the screen and if you tap on the name, you'll get the dialog box that lets you rename it (the first time you do this, a name will be suggested based on the content of the document)
Thanks, but I'm not seeing a dialog box. I'll attach a screenshot of what I see. Am I missing a step?

Attachments

• Screenshot.png
    Screenshot.png
    47 KB · Views: 93

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Thanks, but I'm not seeing a dialog box. I'll attach a screenshot of what I see. Am I missing a step?
That's strange - On that same screen, I see the name of the document (Untitled document) next to the X as below

SmartSelectImage_2017-07-24-16-34-20.png

Tapping on the Untitled Document at the top brings up a dialog box where I can enter the new document name. What happens if you tap on the blank space on the top row next to the X?

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
I am thinking about trying out the S8+. B&H has them unlocked, I hear these versions dont get timely updates, is this true?

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
I am thinking about trying out the S8+. B&H has them unlocked, I hear these versions dont get timely updates, is this true?

they have so far, but we're still early on (the unlocked version was release May 31). It still doesn't have the most recent update that Europe and T-Mobile has received, but no other US versions have received it yet either.

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2007
What happens if you tap on the blank space on the top row next to the X?
Nothing happens when I click on the blank space. Clicking on the X closes the file and names it Untitled Document -- but the blank area is just a dead zone. Why might it be different for me? I'm logged in to my Google account, everything is synced, etc. Any suggestions??

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
My biggest gripe with Samsung software is in the day-to-day warnings/reminders, like when it reminds me that I can control volume settings whenever a bluetooth device is paired, or when it warns me of high volume usage every time I want to turn up my volume past a certain point, or how it explains to me what Airplane mode does whenever I toggle it on.

It's absolutely unnecessary to have these prompts come up nearly every single time. There should be an option to say "never warn again."

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
My biggest gripe with Samsung software is in the day-to-day warnings/reminders, like when it reminds me that I can control volume settings whenever a bluetooth device is paired, or when it warns me of high volume usage every time I want to turn up my volume past a certain point, or how it explains to me what Airplane mode does whenever I toggle it on.

It's absolutely unnecessary to have these prompts come up nearly every single time. There should be an option to say "never warn again."

my frustration with the BT volume control setting is that it doesn't remember it. I use my airpods quite often and every time I connect them, I have to turn back on the control volume setting. Come on, Sammy.

Reactions: epicrayban

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA

T-Mobile and ATT got July last week. However the ATT July update didn't have the option for hiding the navigation buttons. People are reporting getting the Verizon July update today. No clue on Sprint. Seems like Unlocked could be the last to get the July update in the states.

Last month we (unlocked) got it first. I was excited last month and now back to sad after we are the only one's without it possibly.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Got a massive software update today, 750mb.

Fixes camera issues and a couple of other things.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009

Hmm, I've gone as far as putting in my cell number and going to the checkout page on Best Buy for the Verizon one and I don't see any fine print to that effect. I don't doubt you at all, but I'm curious if anyone has purchased this and can confirm if it's a straight $21.50/month for the S8+, or if it's $34 minus a recurring credit which would impact the ability to fully buy it? Even though I'm not a big fan, for $500 I'm tempted to buy one to play with but only if I can pay it off early.

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
Hmm, I've gone as far as putting in my cell number and going to the checkout page on Best Buy for the Verizon one and I don't see any fine print to that effect. I don't doubt you at all, but I'm curious if anyone has purchased this and can confirm if it's a straight $21.50/month for the S8+, or if it's $34 minus a recurring credit which would impact the ability to fully buy it? Even though I'm not a big fan, for $500 I'm tempted to buy one to play with but only if I can pay it off early.

Best Buy says on their Web site that sales tax on the full retail price ($720 for the S8 on Verizon in this case) is due at time of purchase.

I am by no means an expert on this stuff. But I would recommend calling Best Buy and asking them what options you have for paying off the device early in case you wanted to upgrade to a Galaxy Note 8 assuming it is released in August.

I wouldn't tell them you want to port out early. I'd tell them you need a phone now, but really want the Galaxy Note 8 and this is just a holdover until you can get a Note 8.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.