Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
Best Buy says on their Web site that sales tax on the full retail price ($720 for the S8 on Verizon in this case) is due at time of purchase.

I am by no means an expert on this stuff. But I would recommend calling Best Buy and asking them what options you have for paying off the device early in case you wanted to upgrade to a Galaxy Note 8 assuming it is released in August.

I wouldn't tell them you want to port out early. I'd tell them you need a phone now, but really want the Galaxy Note 8 and this is just a holdover until you can get a Note 8.

Calling BB (or Verizon, probably the latter) is the best bet but on the bolded: stores have to charge sales tax on the full price of an item regardless of how much it's discounted. I think this is due to how a discount is applied. If it's an OEM discount, sales tax is due on the normal retail price. If it's a discount is offered by the reseller, than tax would be charged on the discounted amount only.

Why this is, I'm not sure. And it's not nearly interesting enough for me to look up. ;)

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Calling BB (or Verizon, probably the latter) is the best bet but on the bolded: stores have to charge sales tax on the full price of an item regardless of how much it's discounted. I think this is due to how a discount is applied. If it's an OEM discount, sales tax is due on the normal retail price. If it's a discount is offered by the reseller, than tax would be charged on the discounted amount only.

Why this is, I'm not sure. And it's not nearly interesting enough for me to look up. ;)

Whether or not they charge tax on the discounted price or full price is dependent upon where you live. California has laws that you have to charge sales tax on the full price.

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2007
That's strange - On that same screen, I see the name of the document (Untitled document) next to the X as below

View attachment 709831

Tapping on the Untitled Document at the top brings up a dialog box where I can enter the new document name. What happens if you tap on the blank space on the top row next to the X?
Phil, thanks to you I figured it out. I need to click on the 3 dots in the upper right hand corner. It THEN shows me "Untitled document" which I can click on and change the name. If not for your help I never would have discovered how to do this, so thank you very much! I use Google Drive fairly often and it sucked not being able to name my new files!

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I don't think this is correct. They're selling it to you at the reduced price and breaking it down into monthly payments. The reduced price isn't dependent on staying with them for the duration, that's just the expectation on the carrier's part. IN other words, I think you ahve to wait for one bill cycle and then you can request to pay off the balance. The balance will be whatever price the phone was sold to you. If you choose to pay off the full balance, the price doesn't jump back up to $800 because you chose not to stick with monthly installments.

As for porting it out, I don't know if all the carrier version have all the bands. If the VZW version, in example, has GSM bands and you pay it off - yes, you can port out the next day if you choose.

I suspect this is correct since it's Best Buy, although there is a disclaimer that says you have to adhere to Verizon's requirements. I think the 24 month credit thing is if you get it from Verizon directly. $500 for a plus is tempting but I'm sticking to my guns until I see the note 8 and even more importantly the pixel 2.

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
I've had more updates on this S8 than the total I ever got for my S4, S6 and S7 combined. No joke.

People have various experiences but for me, Samsung software updates for S8 are stellar thus far.

True, i'm with t-mobile and receive updates monthly....most updates ever on a samsung device.

Reactions: JaySoul

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
I'm a few months with the S8 now and can't stand it. The lag is just horrible, and I really don't want to have to reset my phone. If I could just reset like iPhone with restoring from iCloud it wouldn't be quite the ordeal.

I'm getting constant frame drops. Even the text messaging app is slow to draw texts.

The most annoying thing for me, though, is the camera. From the time I press the shutter button it takes about 5 seconds to save a photo. If I press the home button or turn off screen before those 5 seconds are up, it doesn't save the photo. I've been losing a lot of photos lately and just realized today that's what the issue is. I often take a pic and put phone back in my pocket, only to later find it never saved it. If I watch for the little icon in the bottom corner to show the pic was taken, I see it takes about 5 seconds for it to show up. If I turn off the screen before that point is when the photo is lost.

Also, when I'm recording video it isn't smooth motion on the screen, it stutters. However, the actual video playback is fine after I view it on my PC.

Another very annoying feature is how to answer a call when Do Not Disturb is turned on. It doesn't pop up on the screen like normal but rather a tiny icon like a notification on the screen, and you've got to turn on screen by pressing home button or power button prior to being able to answer. I've missed many calls at night trying to fumble in my sleep to answer calls from people on my favorites that I can hear ring.

And back to the camera... it can't capture color accurately. It thinks orange is yellow. I've taken some pictures of sunsets that were a beautiful deep orange and they come out as lemon yellow. I took some pictures a few days ago of candles and they come out yellow instead of orange. The dark green grass in my yard looks like a bright green -- completely different than what it looks like in pictures I took with my prior iPhone, which was always color accurate.

One other issue that's been troublesome lately is the GPS or location feature of my phone isn't doing right. I use IFTTT triggers for turning lights off and on when I leave and return home, and sometimes those trigger and turn the lights off while I'm sitting at home. I know it's an issue with the phone's location because I also use Smart Lock and it coincides when the lights turn off when I'm sitting at home that I have to use a password to unlock phone. It's like it thinks I'm somewhere else.

I'm ready to go back to iPhone already.

I haven't done a restore yet but I did find that restarting the phone seems to have fixed the issues I was having with the camera and lag, and I haven't had any more issues with my IFTTT triggers.

Maybe I should just make it a point to restart the phone regularly. I didn't realize it would make such a difference. Is anyone else finding that it needs to be occasionally restarted?
[doublepost=1501052277][/doublepost]
I am not surprised as it sure is amazing to play games on such great /big display of s8+.

Yeah. Anytime I find something frustrating with my S8 I look at the screen and remind myself that I could never be happy with LCD again.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
I haven't done a restore yet but I did find that restarting the phone seems to have fixed the issues I was having with the camera and lag, and I haven't had any more issues with my IFTTT triggers.

Maybe I should just make it a point to restart the phone regularly. I didn't realize it would make such a difference. Is anyone else finding that it needs to be occasionally restarted?

Yeah. Anytime I find something frustrating with my S8 I look at the screen and remind myself that I could never be happy with LCD again.

I think it is maybe one of your apps becoming laggy (or hogging cpu) over time and dragging the phone down. Why don't you try putting all the apps that don't need to have background running in "Always Sleeping Apps" in Device Maintenance->battery. And disable any bloatware you dont need.

My phone is nearing 650 hrs uptime since last reboot and there is no lag or slowdown. Mine is unlocked version. Can it be some issues with carrier bloatware?

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014

If you want there's an auto restart feature. You set the time. It's under General Management.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
It seems that Verizon -- in their infinite wisdom -- has deemed that auto restart is not worthy for my device.

This is one thing I love about Apple. They don't let the carriers alter the OS like this. Each Galaxy carrier variant has these weird little nuances of either options missing, things look different, menus laid out different etc. and it's obnoxious.

Reactions: co.ag.2005

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
This is one thing I love about Apple. They don't let the carriers alter the OS like this. Each Galaxy carrier variant has these weird little nuances of either options missing, things look different, menus laid out different etc. and it's obnoxious.

For the bolded, really? Can you give examples?

I did not know that. That is terrible!
[doublepost=1501082207][/doublepost]
It seems that Verizon -- in their infinite wisdom -- has deemed that auto restart is not worthy for my device.

Sorry, mate. It's another notch on a long list of reasons to hate Verizon. =T

And another reason I'm glad Samsung made unlocked models available so quickly after launch.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX

I do know that the Verizon variant has a traditional settings menu than the Unlocked (and other carriers) variant. On the Verizon model, you can choose between the traditional Android settings layout or the standard S8 settings layout (like you have on your unlocked model). That's one I do know off the top of my head.

Reactions: epicrayban

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA

I did not know that. That is terrible!

I don't have specific examples handy but reading forums I see it often. Someone will be looking for a setting an someone on an unlocked will post exactly where to find it. Then the people with carrier versions chime in that on their phone it's located somewhere entirely different. Little things like this.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012

Don't mind me asking a silly question. Did you look for auto restart in General Management -Reset sub level?

I didn't see this option initially as I only look in the top level.

Reactions: epicrayban

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I do know that the Verizon variant has a traditional settings menu than the Unlocked (and other carriers) variant. On the Verizon model, you can choose between the traditional Android settings layout or the standard S8 settings layout (like you have on your unlocked model). That's one I do know off the top of my head.

I don't have specific examples handy but reading forums I see it often. Someone will be looking for a setting an someone on an unlocked will post exactly where to find it. Then the people with carrier versions chime in that on their phone it's located somewhere entirely different. Little things like this.

Unreal.

Don't mind me asking a silly question. Did you look for auto restart in General Management -Reset sub level?

I didn't see this option initially as I only look in the top level.

Yes, I should have mentioned this.

@Lava Lamp Freak Hopefully it's there.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX

yep, a big one is the device maintenance menu. IIRC, that is completely removed from the Verizon variant (and maybe AT&T?). I know it's there on T-Mobile and unlocked.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009

Yep I see this a lot, particularly with Verizon. Let's not forget the Note 7 which had the cloud storage and caller ID block disabled so you would be forced to use Verizon's services!!

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Yep I see this a lot, particularly with Verizon. Let's not forget the Note 7 which had the cloud storage and caller ID block disabled so you would be forced to use Verizon's services!!

I know this year Verizon disabled the built in spam call detection on the S8 but will allow you to purchase it through them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.